Long, winding road hits a dead end at...

Long, winding road hits a dead end at last for VHS

There are 89 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 27, 2008, titled Long, winding road hits a dead end at last for VHS. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Pop culture is hitting the eject button on the VHS tape, the once ubiquitous home video format that will finish this month as a creaky ghost of Christmas past.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
bill p

Vancouver, WA

#1 Dec 27, 2008
We are getting duped again by the industry. I still have a VCR and still like to tape the occasional program. Why is it that AM?FM? radio is still around? Same thing millions still listen as millions still watch VHS tapes. What a load of garbage. Besides the tapes are reusable!
brett

United States

#2 Dec 27, 2008
Sorry Bill....
AM/FM is a technology from 1930s that's long overdue for an overhaul.
HD radio isn't the answer either.
But some type of digital radio would be the answer.
VHS was good. DVDs are better. And Blue Rays are better than both of them. And my dvr is an improvement over vhs recording abilities.
Getting dupped by technology is the Ipod. Mp3s sound worse than cds which sound worse than vinyl. And do you really need more than 1 hr of music at any one sitting? My portable cd is still relevant, IMO.
mr dvd

United States

#3 Dec 27, 2008
I'm glad to see the death of Blockbuster.....they were so high and mighty with their required membership and late fees. The people who worked there had the idea they they were the stars and not the product. Long live Amazon.com
swissmiss

Washington, DC

#4 Dec 27, 2008
Oh, my. It took me forever to learn how to tape a program on VHS, and I have many tapes I use over and over.
illinifan

Mount Prospect, IL

#5 Dec 27, 2008
brett wrote:
Getting dupped by technology is the Ipod. Mp3s sound worse than cds which sound worse than vinyl. And do you really need more than 1 hr of music at any one sitting? My portable cd is still relevant, IMO.
If you want, your mp3's can sound the same as your CD's. Most people can't appreciate the difference, and would rather have twice as much music.
It takes me 20 minutes to get to/from the gym, and I spend about an hour and a half there. so that's nearly two hours I depend on my ipod for a variety of music... not stuck with the same 12-15 songs from the CD player.
Tina

Oak Park, IL

#7 Dec 27, 2008
VHS won't completely disappear that fast from most households. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has family home videos and things like TV specials from the '80s and '90s still on VHS and don't necessarily have the time or the resources to get everything converted to DVD right away. I also still use the VCR to record shows occasionally if the DVR is full.
Cheap-shot

Arlington Heights, IL

#8 Dec 27, 2008
VHS lasted a lot longer then then Betamax or laser disks.
Back in the 70's and 80's it was all we had and it freed us from having to go to the movie theater or watch a movie on tv with tons of commercials. I am sad about it's passing. Lets see how long Blu-Ray last in comparison.
Cheap-shot

Arlington Heights, IL

#9 Dec 27, 2008
Tina wrote:
VHS won't completely disappear that fast from most households. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has family home videos and things like TV specials from the '80s and '90s still on VHS and don't necessarily have the time or the resources to get everything converted to DVD right away. I also still use the VCR to record shows occasionally if the DVR is full.
Ughhh... I have a lot of family video on the 8mm VHS format which is long gone. I'm going to have to take them in and pay the man to get them on to DVD.
LAWRENCE

Denver, CO

#10 Dec 27, 2008
mr dvd wrote:
I'm glad to see the death of Blockbuster.....they were so high and mighty with their required membership and late fees. The people who worked there had the idea they they were the stars and not the product. Long live Amazon.com
You sound like you have issues with your self esteem Mr. Dvd. Blockbuster is not going anywhere and switched to DVD's. "They were high and mighty with their required membership." What did you think they were just going to let you take a video and bring it back when you had the chance? I wonder how you feel about the "high and mighty" public library and their library card?
Josef

Woodridge, IL

#11 Dec 27, 2008
brett wrote:
Sorry Bill....
AM/FM is a technology from 1930s that's long overdue for an overhaul.
HD radio isn't the answer either.
But some type of digital radio would be the answer.
VHS was good. DVDs are better. And Blue Rays are better than both of them. And my dvr is an improvement over vhs recording abilities.
If you fly internationally or use the land based transport systems overseas, you'll appreciate the hours of storage and play time on an MP3.

Internet radio (for home networks...at least for now) is the most versatile and promising aspect of radio entertainment. The range of "radio station" availability worldwide is astounding. To think that I grew up listening to VOA, BBC, etc., on short-wave!
Michael

United States

#12 Dec 27, 2008
bill p wrote:
We are getting duped again by the industry. I still have a VCR and still like to tape the occasional program. Why is it that AM?FM? radio is still around? Same thing millions still listen as millions still watch VHS tapes. What a load of garbage. Besides the tapes are reusable!
I bet you still have that eight track player in your car and your kids are playing the Atari 2600 on a wood panel TV.
bill p

Vancouver, WA

#13 Dec 27, 2008
Michael wrote:
<quoted text>
I bet you still have that eight track player in your car and your kids are playing the Atari 2600 on a wood panel TV.
If they still worked and they wereentertained, then who cares! No but i still enjoy my casette tapes that I made, over 400 songs on tape!
Jim

Seattle, WA

#14 Dec 27, 2008
"It's kind to rewind."

Now there's a slogan that fits a certain era.
Matt

United States

#15 Dec 27, 2008
"Getting dupped by technology is the Ipod. Mp3s sound worse than cds which sound worse than vinyl."

Yes and no. 128 kbps mp3? Yes, it sounds like garbage. Thats why anyone who cares about sound quality deals typically in at least 256-320 kpbs, or ideally some sort of lossless format (such as FLAC).

As for VHS, there will still be a niche market. There are tons of films which have never been converted over to DVD. Our local video store still carries a pretty wide selection of VHS, and it comes in handy for me in a lot of occasions.
moquif

Wheaton, IL

#16 Dec 27, 2008
I have to go with Bill P on this. I have a VCR which I use to record the odd show. It's not worth the time or money to get a DVR or Tivo or whatever since I already have a technology that services my purposes. When the player dies, then I'll consider a digital recorder, but not one that saves the show to disc. I watch the show, and that's all I need.

For MP3s, I can't tell much difference between the different bit rates. I like audio books so a high bit rate is over kill. I would agree that the iPod is overhyped. There are better players out there that don't have a mammoth PR campaign if you look.
David

Redmond, WA

#18 Dec 27, 2008
Hey - I'm not finished transferring all my Beta tapes to VHS yet. But I do have a working Beta tape player!!!
(And I have several working VHS players/recorders.) So you all come to
my estate sale when I pass and you can
also pick up some 78s I have from my dad's estate.(I'd put a smiley here but its not allowed.)
Don

Downers Grove, IL

#19 Dec 27, 2008
VHS will be around as a backup for a long time. I worked as a salesman in Playback in Joliet in the 70's, and I sold some of the first VHS VCR's in the area. I still have a massive VHS collection, but I've transferred most of my stuff to computer and DVD. I keep all master tapes just in case. I love the VHS system for it's durability (some of my tapes are from 1977!), and it's versatility. It's a true people's system.
Dwight K Schrute

Chicago, IL

#20 Dec 27, 2008
Jim wrote:
"It's kind to rewind."
Now there's a slogan that fits a certain era.
Wasn't it "Be Kind, Remember to Rewind", complete with the Bee logo? Classic. My kids will wonder what the heck "tape" and "wired telephones" were...
rosco

Plainfield, IL

#21 Dec 27, 2008
What's next after DVD's? No more blank Vhs tapes?
Randy from Baltimore

Baltimore, MD

#22 Dec 27, 2008
Cheap-shot wrote:
Ughhh... I have a lot of family video on the 8mm VHS format which is long gone. I'm going to have to take them in and pay the man to get them on to DVD.
If you have a home computer with a DVD burner, you should buy an internal or external video capture device (such as Dazzle On DVD). Fairly simple to use, with very good results - and in the long run, much cheaper that pro transfer services.

I'm in the midst of a massive project of transferring my hundreds of vinyl LPs to CD - INCLUDING scanning the artwork!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Harbor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Onyums (Nov '14) Jul 18 anonymous 41
News Prostitution sting nets arrests in New Port Richey (Aug '07) Jul 15 Mitchell christmas 15
Beaver is a Party God Jul 15 show dem tittiez 1
News Clearwater Beach Honored Again as a Top Beach (Mar '13) Jul 13 WAR COMES HOME 46
News Largo spends green to get green space Jul 11 greatneck 1
United Travel Schools (Jan '06) Jul 11 Tami - Greg 97
Im looking for my son's daddy plz help (Dec '11) Jul 9 Valentine7 6

Palm Harbor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Palm Harbor Mortgages