Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 201809 comments on the www.cnn.com story from Aug 4, 2010, titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#184448 Mar 25, 2013
Some Never Came Home wrote:
<quoted text>
If you value Freedom and equality and fairness for all Americans,uphold the unconstitutionality of Prop rightfully rightfully so! 9 states now and D.C. and counting! 3 of those states by popular vote in the last election! 10 years in Massachusetts now and LO and behold not a damn thing has changed marriage wise,other than same sex marriages having a lower divorce rate than heteros! You're bigotry is in fact taking it's last dying gasp so enjoy it while you can!
Absolutely.....freedom....fair ness....equality for all....polygamist families too.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184450 Mar 25, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Which demonstrates "straights" no longer take marriage seriously as they did not too long ago. If they did, would SSM be legal, or a consideration at all? Time will tell whether or not married SSCs will continue to experience lower divorce/dissolution rates than "straights".
You donít take it more seriously

We do, being forced to stay in a bad marriage is not the key to saving marriage but to belittling it

Staying in a marriage because you are in a good marriage strengthens it

we will see, very shortly, although in truth, we have already seen, more and more states and nations are recognizing gay marriage
christina remzy

United States

#184451 Mar 25, 2013
It does not matter to me gays and lesbos should be happy like any person I'm not going to be gay just because they pass that law I'm happy the way I'm
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184452 Mar 25, 2013
christina remzy wrote:
It does not matter to me gays and lesbos should be happy like any person I'm not going to be gay just because they pass that law I'm happy the way I'm
So am I, but many of the people here can only be happy if they make other people unhappy.

That is thier goal
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184453 Mar 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Judge Walker excluded evidence and witnesses; that's why he misruled. The US Supreme Court has reviewed a state's right to redefine marriage as one man and one woman in Baker v Nelson; that stands as precedent.
Donít worry it was appealed, and they agreed with Judge Walker, and now it is at the Supreme court ( and they too will agree with Judge Walker )

he is not the only judge to review the case, there will be over a dozen of them reviewing the case.

so far most of the judges dont think he misjudged, and your opinion doenst really matter
Bachman four Prezdent

Sonoma, CA

#184454 Mar 25, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
So am I, but many of the people here can only be happy if they make other people unhappy.
That is thier goal
`
People are quoting Michelle as saying that they all should be deported and that deportation would be appropriately billed to the aliens, abortionists, left wings or other undesirables on the list so then the deportations would become a national industry and create jobs, identifying, rounding up, holding in tank, shipping out and other stuff like feeding and clothing and waste water treatment, and entertainment squads. Sounds a real big job but she says that the money would be used to buy arms so that everyone, young and old and in between would be carrying and then we would not take no crap and there would be peace and the jobcreators could relax and not get mad and fire folks who have been there for eighteen years.

“Equality First”

Since: Jan 09

St. Louis, MO

#184455 Mar 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
More BS gay twirl lies.
The latest science says homosexuality is a epi-marker mistake.
Moreover, the most intimate imitation of natural sex, anal sex, is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning. I've posted that fact from a gay friendly medical site many times if someone doesn't have the common sense to know the anus is not a vagina.
Could be just a couple reasons why it's so hard for every culture in all of human history to get...
Snicker.
Forgetting for the moment whether anal sex is healthy or not, I ask you why it is that you, and others like you, seem to fixate only on anal sex. Are you aware that there are many gays who do not participate in that particular sexual practice? And there are those of that group who have long-term relationships that rival many heterosexual marriages? And would you say that heterosexuals who practice it are endangering their marriage? Since it is a legal sexual practice, what possible connection could it have on the subject of Marriage Equality?
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184456 Mar 25, 2013
Bachman four Prezdent wrote:
<quoted text>
`
People are quoting Michelle as saying that they all should be deported and that deportation would be appropriately billed to the aliens, abortionists, left wings or other undesirables on the list so then the deportations would become a national industry and create jobs, identifying, rounding up, holding in tank, shipping out and other stuff like feeding and clothing and waste water treatment, and entertainment squads. Sounds a real big job but she says that the money would be used to buy arms so that everyone, young and old and in between would be carrying and then we would not take no crap and there would be peace and the jobcreators could relax and not get mad and fire folks who have been there for eighteen years.
It has also been suggested that the far right immigrate to Afghanistan and join the Taliban

Religion is mandated, everyone has a gun, social customs are law upon pain of death, just as they like it

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#184457 Mar 25, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Judge Walker excluded evidence and witnesses; that's why he misruled. The US Supreme Court has reviewed a state's right to redefine marriage as one man and one woman in Baker v Nelson; that stands as precedent.
It's my understanding that Baker v Nelson dealt with "federal laws" concerning same-sex marriage. The Prop. 8 decision dealt with California's STATE constitution--not the U.S Constitution.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#184458 Mar 25, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
It has also been suggested that the far right immigrate to Afghanistan and join the Taliban
It has been suggested that the far left emigrate to North Korea and join the Communists.
Religion is mandated, everyone has a gun, social customs are law upon pain of death, just as they like it
Atheism is mandated, no one has s gun, social customs are all the same, everyone is "comrade", no dissent is allowed upon pain of "reeducation" or death.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

#184459 Mar 25, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
"Bottom line"? Pun intended? Simply because they occur does not mean they are equal. Would "homosexual intercourse" constitute "consummation" of the marital relationship?
From a legal standpoint, since both acts are legal expressions of sexuality, then they are equal.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184460 Mar 25, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
It has been suggested that the far left emigrate to North Korea and join the Communists.
<quoted text>
Atheism is mandated, no one has s gun, social customs are all the same, everyone is "comrade", no dissent is allowed upon pain of "reeducation" or death.
I donít want Atheism mandated, I want freedom for both those that believe in one of the billions of Gods man has dreamed up or not as they choose. Dissent is a good thing not a bad thing.

Nope not the place for me

but you really should check out the Taliban... you would fit right in

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#184461 Mar 25, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
You donít take it more seriously
If I didn't I wouldn't be married.

[QUOTE[
We do, being forced to stay in a bad marriage is not the key to saving marriage but to belittling it
[/QUOTE]

We do as well, being allowed to end a marriage because of "no fault" is the key to undermining marriage, not strenghtening it.
Staying in a marriage because you are in a good marriage strengthens it
Staying in a marriage because it is overall good, but may be experiencing temporary challenges, strengthens it, and demonstrates both husband and wife take their vow seriously.
we will see, very shortly, although in truth, we have already seen, more and more states and nations are recognizing gay marriage
Recognition does not mean, in the long run, legal SSM is, or will be, a good idea.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184462 Mar 25, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
It's my understanding that Baker v Nelson dealt with "federal laws" concerning same-sex marriage. The Prop. 8 decision dealt with California's STATE constitution--not the U.S Constitution.
You are right about Prop 8, however the wording the Supremes use, could indeed have national implications. DOMA is another story with national implications.

How Prop 8 is overturned may make it very easy to overturn any such measures in other states.
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

#184463 Mar 25, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I donít want Atheism mandated, I want freedom for both those that believe in one of the billions of Gods man has dreamed up or not as they choose. Dissent is a good thing not a bad thing.
Nope not the place for me
but you really should check out the Taliban... you would fit right in
plural marraige is most certainly against sharia law!!

so mabey he wouldnt want to live there.

mabey utah in better.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184464 Mar 25, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
If I didn't I wouldn't be married.
<quoted text>
We do as well, being allowed to end a marriage because of "no fault" is the key to undermining marriage, not strenghtening it.
<quoted text>
Staying in a marriage because it is overall good, but may be experiencing temporary challenges, strengthens it, and demonstrates both husband and wife take their vow seriously.
<quoted text>
Recognition does not mean, in the long run, legal SSM is, or will be, a good idea.
I honestly feel sorry for you that your marriage is in such jeopardy, my wife and I have had many struggles, with a lot of issues, our love for one another and our commitment to one another got us through that, regardless of the fact that a divorce would be easy.

TAHT is a strong marriage, not forging wedding rings into handcuffs

The fact that we could easily split, but worked together to get past our issues is why we have a strong marriage. Not because we viewed our marriage as a prison as you would have it.
Steve of Adam and Steve

Elmwood Park, IL

#184465 Mar 25, 2013
The constitution exists not to support the opinions of the majority, but to protect the rights of the minority.

There is no compelling reason to deny gay marriage. None.
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

#184466 Mar 25, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Which demonstrates "straights" no longer take marriage seriously as they did not too long ago. If they did, would SSM be legal, or a consideration at all? Time will tell whether or not married SSCs will continue to experience lower divorce/dissolution rates than "straights".
pietro, it doesnt sound like yo wish SSC the best of luck..

you figure if they have to fight for it??? in court??

then they are going to get along better to try to set an example, being amomg the first...

so how are we supposed to wish you luck in your polygamist marraige, when you are sour on SSM??

it just doesnt make sense.
Big D

Modesto, CA

#184469 Mar 25, 2013
Alfred wrote:
There is no such thing as gay marriage.
lets see

either

A: Wrong in 11 states, one district and 17 nations

or

B: that is funny :)

I am going with B LOL
endocannabanoid system

Anderson, CA

#184470 Mar 25, 2013
Steve of Adam and Steve wrote:
The constitution exists not to support the opinions of the majority, but to protect the rights of the minority.
There is no compelling reason to deny gay marriage. None.
they keep trying, ill give them that.

but it is always involves something about what THEY as a bigoted individual, believes society should look like. and never an actual scientific arguement.

the lastest is "men and women have sex organs that match, there fore gay marraige is immoral"" silly arguement huh??

the rights of the minorities CANNOT be voted on my the majority...

that is at the heart of PROP hate(8) being taken to court.

cheers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palm Desert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Utopia Management 17 hr MichaelJames20178 2
Touch Of Class Consignment (Cathedral City, Ca. Fri Sandy 1
mexican landscapers dump in the desert (Nov '14) Fri Sandy 54
Fraud Website against Winderemere Real Estate. ... Thu Palm Desert Local 3
Mayor Pougnet dodges questions about conflict o... May 21 California Resident 3
Any housekeepers near indio?? May 20 BigJG 1
News Palm Springs Gay and Lesbian Film Festival to o... (Sep '13) May 11 sam 3
More from around the web

Palm Desert People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]