Dolores The Villages Fl

Ocoee, FL

#41 Dec 28, 2009
What priests are you talking about...I knew Father Francis since I was around 6 years old he was one of the kindest gentlest people on earth.
Joanne

Newton Upper Falls, MA

#42 Mar 4, 2010
Tricia: yes, I am Joanne P. I definitely think there is some misinformation going on here as I do not remember any priests except the one who said Mass. I know because my brother also went to camp here and there were female counselors. Where in Cape Cod do you live?
Pat -Boston

Hartford, CT

#43 Aug 15, 2010
Barbara ----- Texas wrote:
I remember going to Mass in the Grotto. It must have been for a holyday(the Feast of the Assumption?)
The beautiful chapel was very new in the late '50's
I worked at Unit St Joseph which was for girls about 8-10 years old. One year the toilets all backed up in the house. That was lots of fun!
I remember campfires on Sunday evenings with sandwiches and kool-aide for supper.
Most of the other meals were good, though. I gained 10 lbs one summer.
The sisters were all very kind and tried to talk us all into becoming nuns. The Directress was a nun from France.
I too was at the camp in the 50's. 53 and 54 I think.

I was a counselor at Unit St. Rose- the Rosettes.
I too can recall the memories you have. Remember we called the Directress-MD. Have just been thinking of those days. I also liked
the days we went to North Lake-and celebrated Christmas in July.
Tricia _PATTY C

Hyannis, MA

#44 Aug 15, 2010
Joanne wrote:
Tricia: yes, I am Joanne P. I definitely think there is some misinformation going on here as I do not remember any priests except the one who said Mass. I know because my brother also went to camp here and there were female counselors. Where in Cape Cod do you live?
Hey Joanne! I live in Cotuit (near Mashpee) on the Cape!! I remember you well!! Is it Joanne Pizz***?
Mickey

Naples, FL

#45 Sep 4, 2010
I also wonder if the comments I have viewed might be of a different camp.

I was the alter boy for quite a number of years in the early to late 60’s and witnessed nothing of what’s being posted…I spoke with my sisters, Kathy and Susan, who also were at the camp at that time and they had never heard of any abuse taking place.

The boy’s camp had only female counselors and this is the reason why I suspect the abuse was concerning another camp.

Does anyone remember Mrs. Kennedy?

Haven’t heard from her son Kevin or Howdy Doody in years!
Cookie - D Maria Watson

New York, NY

#46 Sep 30, 2010
Kevin wrote:
Camp St. Helene closed as a camp in 1973. I bought it from Catholic Charities and ran a summer theatre and arts colony on the property from 1982 to 2002.
I attended Camp St. Helene for many summers, first as a camper and most memorably as a camp counselor, until 1964. I believe I last visited the Camp in 1973 or 1974.
I would love to have a reunion with the girls of Camp St. Helene and the Kennedys.
I will read further to see if any of you have made inquiries.
Anonymous

New York, NY

#47 Sep 30, 2010
Susan Long Island wrote:
I only remember one priest--Fr. Francis. Other than that, there were female counselors--even at unit St. Francis I loved St. Helene. I was there from 1959 to 1964. If someone hurt you there, you should speak to the archdiocese--even today.
Susan,
We were there at the same time. I started out at St. Francis Unit, then to UMI, then I became a CIT then a Counselor.
My friends were Carla R.(NYC), Nancy and Patsy K.(twins), Nancy S. Pat C., Maureen "Squeaky" C., Helen O. Emily K.(from Carlstadt, NJ), Connie G.(Bayonne, NJ), BFF Claudette F.(Bronx)-we are still in touch, Jackie P., Claire G., Cathy F., the Foys, the Mulligans, Mother Nature (Sister Linus).
I would love to see the girls.
Those sunrise hikes with the yuky pancakes---were great!
Anonymous

New York, NY

#48 Sep 30, 2010
Mickey wrote:
I also wonder if the comments I have viewed might be of a different camp.
I was the alter boy for quite a number of years in the early to late 60’s and witnessed nothing of what’s being posted…I spoke with my sisters, Kathy and Susan, who also were at the camp at that time and they had never heard of any abuse taking place.
The boy’s camp had only female counselors and this is the reason why I suspect the abuse was concerning another camp.
Does anyone remember Mrs. Kennedy?
Haven’t heard from her son Kevin or Howdy Doody in years!
I think I remember you and your sister Kathy. I believe Susan was younger. Are you part of the M family?
Mickey Mullin

Naples, FL

#49 Sep 30, 2010
Cookie - D Maria Watson wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I remember you and your sister Kathy. I believe Susan was younger. Are you part of the M family?
Yes were are teh Mullin Family from New York City...
Cookie - D Maria Watson

New York, NY

#50 Oct 1, 2010
Mickey Mullin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes were are teh Mullin Family from New York City...
I am so glad to see your response.
How is Kathy?
I have been thinking for years that I would like to have a reunion with our Camp friends.
Are you also in touch with Kevin K?
Cookie - D Maria Watson

New York, NY

#51 Oct 1, 2010
I do not know how East Elmhurst got attached to my name. I am still in NYC.
Mickey Mullin

Naples, FL

#52 Oct 2, 2010
No, haven't seen Kevin for many years...Susan is still in New York while Kathy and I are now in FL...I will pass on your comments this weekend...Mickey
Ann

New Brunswick, NJ

#53 Oct 16, 2010
Hi,
I was a CIT in 1969 and a counselor in Dorm 2 in 1971 and 1972. These were some of the best summers of my life. I remember you Cookie.
I was upstate recently and brought my husband to see it. No one was around so we walked around. The Kennedy's are buried in the Grotto area and yes there is a waterfall there. I couldn't find the path to the lake but we walked around. I had heard it was a theater so I thought they were gone for the season. As we were leaving we met the new owners and it is private property now. Good thing he didn't call the police.
Tricia _PATTY C

Hyannis, MA

#54 Oct 16, 2010
Ann wrote:
Hi,
I was a CIT in 1969 and a counselor in Dorm 2 in 1971 and 1972. These were some of the best summers of my life. I remember you Cookie.
I was upstate recently and brought my husband to see it. No one was around so we walked around. The Kennedy's are buried in the Grotto area and yes there is a waterfall there. I couldn't find the path to the lake but we walked around. I had heard it was a theater so I thought they were gone for the season. As we were leaving we met the new owners and it is private property now. Good thing he didn't call the police.
hi ann,
I must know you and cookie sounds familiar, also. I was at camp from 1967 until it closed in '73. I was a service girl in 67, a junior counselor in 68, a counselor in 69 and 70 at Sacred heart and a head counselor for the years after that at sacred heart and UMI. I loved it there. Mother Padreigh (aka Sister Patricia) was in charge. A piece of my soul is buried there.
Anonymous

New York, NY

#55 Oct 21, 2010
Tricia _PATTY C wrote:
<quoted text>
hi ann,
I must know you and cookie sounds familiar, also. I was at camp from 1967 until it closed in '73. I was a service girl in 67, a junior counselor in 68, a counselor in 69 and 70 at Sacred heart and a head counselor for the years after that at sacred heart and UMI. I loved it there. Mother Padreigh (aka Sister Patricia) was in charge. A piece of my soul is buried there.
Naw. When I graduated from HS in 1965 my mother made me get a stupid summer job in an anti poverty program in NYC. I was miserable all summer. I visited the camp in 1973 and met some of the counselors. I learned that the girls were still using fake ID to get beers; cooling the beers in the creek; and sneaking out at night to go to Policano's.
Tricia _PATTY C

Hyannis, MA

#56 Oct 22, 2010
Cookie,
You must have been the crowd before us...You were there in 64...we started in 67. Our crowd were different names...sheila, Roseanne, Jill, Celine, Valerie, Debbie, Liz, Joanne, Kathy, Beth, Mary, to name a few I can remember. Bout I'm sure the memories are similar, like days off at Polocano's!
Liz Capone

Staten Island, NY

#57 Dec 8, 2010
Hi I was there from 1969-1971. I am trying to remember some details about Camp St Helene. I remember enjoying my summer's there. I remember some of the names mentioned in the above comments. I was a CIT at the boys camp just up the hill. Worked with a Mary Beth Aggie.
Nikki Sokol

Bayamon, Puerto Rico

#58 Dec 23, 2010
Looking for "Tommy' Gargano. She was a camper
at UMI. I remember a field day where we were taken
to Auriesville N. Y. to see a church dedicated
to Father Isaac Jogues and Kateri Tekawitha
AKA The lilly of the Mohawks.
I remeber the twins who worked in the kitchen.
Were they from Canada? Were the Kennedys the
ones who kept up the area? I remember the father
and the son who looked very much like him.
Was Mr.s Kingston the one who ran the Canteen
and taught arts and crafts?
If someone can provide answers please let me know.
at bootlacer@gmail.com
Alan Dombrow

New York, NY

#59 Dec 28, 2010
My father died in 1950 when I was 6. I had a brother and three sisters and my mother had three jobs to support us. A local priest in Queens, NY., arranged with my mother for me to go to Camp St. Helene for the summer. I remember looking forward to going there, although I wasn't a big fan of the outhouses. I remember fondly the grotto and the cool aid and the hot chocolate. I may have my camps mixed up but I also remember crossing a rickety wooden bridge over a gorge. And it was the first time I ever saw a salamander. -- Alan
Anonymous

New York, NY

#60 Dec 31, 2010
Alan Dombrow wrote:
My father died in 1950 when I was 6. I had a brother and three sisters and my mother had three jobs to support us. A local priest in Queens, NY., arranged with my mother for me to go to Camp St. Helene for the summer. I remember looking forward to going there, although I wasn't a big fan of the outhouses. I remember fondly the grotto and the cool aid and the hot chocolate. I may have my camps mixed up but I also remember crossing a rickety wooden bridge over a gorge. And it was the first time I ever saw a salamander.-- Alan
The swinging bridge at the waterfalls in Palenville was quite a treat for us city kids. The hot chocolate was like hot dishwater with a little sugar. Loved it! There were lots of salamanders and tree frogs around for our learning.

Happy Holidays to all.

We should plan a meet up for sometime this summer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Palenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pine Springs Resort (Feb '10) Apr 17 Dave Selner 81
Mountain lions in upstate NY (Jan '12) Apr 17 Evelyn 13
News Great Dane Thrill Ride to Coney (Aug '07) Apr 7 Long Darby 2
News Denmark wins Eurovision (May '13) Apr 7 Long Darby 3
What Mike Martone Martone Auto Collision doesn'... Apr 2 The Mouth That Ro... 1
As promised, dirty David L Rabin Hunter NY Atty... Apr 2 The Mouth That Ro... 3
Single dad searching for some support. (Aug '13) Aug '13 Adrian 1
More from around the web

Palenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]