Feds, police raid 11 South Florida pill mills

Posted in the Paintsville Forum

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Feb 27, 2011
OOPSIE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 23, 2011
 
Not looking good for the pain pill industry as of late!

Drug agents raided 11 pain clinics from Miami to West Palm Beach on Wednesday, arresting 23 people and seizing $2.5 million in cash and dozens of cars in the biggest single strike yet at Florida's pain pill industry.

Among those arrested were four physicians, including the son of Broward Medical Examiner Joshua Perper, and five owners of raided pain clinics, officials said.

The biggest catch, officials said, was Vincent Colangelo, 42, a Davie man who earned an estimated $150,000 a day from the seven now-shuttered pain centers he owned.

Law enforcement agencies moved to seize from the Colangelo operation $22 million in assets, including homes, an Okeechobee trailer park and 46 vehicles. Agents displayed a parking lot full of the high-priced cars, such as a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren sports car and two Lamborghinis.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/fl-pill...
wonder

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 24, 2011
 
how many of these clinics had johnson co. connections.
OOPSIE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 24, 2011
 
wonder wrote:
how many of these clinics had johnson co. connections.
I have absolutely no idea. The article stated that they had taken records from 15 other clinics as well. It makes you wonder if any of them were ones that people from this area were using, and if so what legal action, IF ANY, will be taken.

“Hopping around Topix”

Since: Nov 08

On The Highway To Hell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 24, 2011
 
OOPSIE wrote:
Agents displayed a parking lot full of the high-priced cars, such as a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren sports car and two Lamborghinis.
Just think he got all that he has off of peoples blood sweat and tears.Makes me wanna puke.
OOPSIE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

Wabbit wrote:
<quoted text>Just think he got all that he has off of peoples blood sweat and tears.Makes me wanna puke.
You're right Wabbit. Who is the bigger fool in this situation though? The doctors for taking the money, or the addict for dishing it out hand over fist and taking from themselves to do it? Myself, I'd rather have that money in my pocket to spend on my children, family, etc. But you know how addicts are, they think of no one but themselves and their high. SICK!!
OOPSIE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 24, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

OR, they are thinking of what kind of money they can make on the street from some poor unsuspecting fool. They'll keep enough for their own use, then sell the rest to fund their next trip, and still their kids and families suffer. In this way though they dish out their misery to other families. They're not satisfied with ruining their own lives, they have to ruin the lives of others as well. Misery loves company ya know.

“Hopping around Topix”

Since: Nov 08

On The Highway To Hell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 24, 2011
 
OOPSIE wrote:
<quoted text>
they think of no one but themselves and their high. SICK!!
You are SO right.
OOPSIE wrote:
OR, they are thinking of what kind of money they can make on the street from some poor unsuspecting fool. They'll keep enough for their own use, then sell the rest to fund their next trip, and still their kids and families suffer. In this way though they dish out their misery to other families. They're not satisfied with ruining their own lives, they have to ruin the lives of others as well. Misery loves company ya know.
I do know this,They better set some of that money aside cause their gonna need it to pay that Lawyer with after they get busted and that goes from the little fish on the street to the big fish as in the people that own those Pain Clinics that got busted.and yes your right Misery does love company.

“Hopping around Topix”

Since: Nov 08

On The Highway To Hell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 24, 2011
 
OOPSIE wrote:
<quoted text>
I have absolutely no idea. The article stated that they had taken records from 15 other clinics as well. It makes you wonder if any of them were ones that people from this area were using, and if so what legal action, IF ANY, will be taken.
If any of these people were going to Florida you can bet that they were going to some of these Pain Clinics,I'm not sure what the Law could do to any of these Kentucky people other than keep an eye on`em.but you do realize since those places are shut down they`ll just find another State to get`em in ? because they will get their Fix and if its not pills it`ll be some thing else like Meth.
OOPSIE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 24, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Wabbit wrote:
<quoted text>If any of these people were going to Florida you can bet that they were going to some of these Pain Clinics,I'm not sure what the Law could do to any of these Kentucky people other than keep an eye on`em.but you do realize since those places are shut down they`ll just find another State to get`em in ? because they will get their Fix and if its not pills it`ll be some thing else like Meth.
Yes, I know that. I can think of two other states that a person I knew use to go to. I just checked one of those states, and raids are happening there as well. It will eventually filter to the other one I'm sure. I'm not naming the states, for a good reason. Just in case some of these people don't know about them.(which is probably a really slim chance) LOL I think what it boils down to is that PEOPLE ARE TIRED!! Tired of having their things stolen, tired of dealing with the zombies every time they leave the house, just tired of it in every way. I'm sooo glad that I got cleaned up. I see them now and it literally makes me sick to my stomach. And to think, I was almost that bad. I don't know what I was thinking, obviously I wasn't thinking. That's another bad thing, these people don't think. Maybe they do when they're sober,(which is probably rarely), but if they actually THOUGHT about other people, and the dangers they dish out every day, you'd think they'd stay home and stop putting peoples lives in danger. I have no problem with them, they're none of my business. Just stop involving me and my family in it, and STAY HOME! It's a life of hell, I'm not going to sugar coat it for anyone, but if you choose that life of hell over a good life, then that's your business. Keep it your business, and leave me and the rest of the people who happen to love their life and their loved ones out of it.
Slapper John

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 24, 2011
 
You can cut the tension in this county with a knife. Its coming. All this is going to come to a head, be delt with and most of these pillheads will finally see that their addiction can't be properly fed here and move on.

Its over, folks. If you were smart, you'd be heading for a large city where its easier to obtain. The economy in this county isn't going to be much and most who stay here will be lucky to have lights on and food. If you aren't willing to farm or can't hold one of the few jobs left, you're not going to make it here. You sure aren't going to do anything but suffer here if you're a needy addict. If you can't sustain yourself, you'd be best to leave here. Its not going to be a very welcoming place for a couple decades.
OOPSIE

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 24, 2011
 
Well, it's for sure over now. The White House is involved. LOL

From wymt.com
FRANKFORT, Ky.(AP)- White House drug czar Gil Kerlikowske is
wrapping up a four-day visit to Kentucky, where he found a
significant problem with prescription pill abuse.

Kerlikowske, chief adviser to President Barack Obama on drug
issues, told The Associated Press on Thursday that he would
continue to push for a crackdown on Florida "pill mills" that are
supplying painkillers to Kentucky addicts.

Kerlikowske said also he intends to continue to press Florida
Gov. Rick Scott to reconsider his decision to end a
prescription-monitoring program in his state.

Federal agents and local police swept across South Florida on
Wednesday arresting at least 20 people, including five doctors, as
part of a yearlong undercover investigation into the black-market
prescription pill trade.

“Hopping around Topix”

Since: Nov 08

On The Highway To Hell

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 27, 2011
 
OOPSIE wrote:
Well, it's for sure over now. The White House is involved. LOL
From wymt.com
FRANKFORT, Ky.(AP)- White House drug czar Gil Kerlikowske is
wrapping up a four-day visit to Kentucky, where he found a
significant problem with prescription pill abuse.
Kerlikowske, chief adviser to President Barack Obama on drug
issues, told The Associated Press on Thursday that he would
continue to push for a crackdown on Florida "pill mills" that are
supplying painkillers to Kentucky addicts.
Kerlikowske said also he intends to continue to press Florida
Gov. Rick Scott to reconsider his decision to end a
prescription-monitoring program in his state.
Federal agents and local police swept across South Florida on
Wednesday arresting at least 20 people, including five doctors, as
part of a yearlong undercover investigation into the black-market
prescription pill trade.
Thats all political and that Czar wont even remember being in KY in a day or 2.haha

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 27, 2011
 
Slapper John wrote:
You can cut the tension in this county with a knife. Its coming. All this is going to come to a head, be delt with and most of these pillheads will finally see that their addiction can't be properly fed here and move on.
Its over, folks. If you were smart, you'd be heading for a large city where its easier to obtain. The economy in this county isn't going to be much and most who stay here will be lucky to have lights on and food. If you aren't willing to farm or can't hold one of the few jobs left, you're not going to make it here. You sure aren't going to do anything but suffer here if you're a needy addict. If you can't sustain yourself, you'd be best to leave here. Its not going to be a very welcoming place for a couple decades.
great day in the morning.its about time this county cracked down.the strong who have a desire to make it in a clean county will remain and suceed and be able to live a life without strung out dope heads every where you turn.maybe our new admininstration should start an investigation into the previous sherrif and see why things got this far out of control.oh billy,maybe their coming for you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paintsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 16 min brer rabbit 1,059
Vote for Sheriff of Johnson County 1 hr Voter 65
Hey Nancy we don't need your help 1 hr crazy nut 47
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Curmudgeon 151,027
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 2 hr Khatru 130,451
The Bar (Jan '13) 3 hr Maverick 808 9,458
Hammond Five is alive (Oct '11) 3 hr Natalie 11,881
•••
•••
•••

Paintsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Paintsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Paintsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Paintsville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••