Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 157963 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82634 Jul 14, 2012
Jehovah’s Witnesses—What Do They Believe?
Jehovah’s Witnesses today form an international organization that is completely separate from all other religious organizations. Since we are often misrepresented, it would be a mistake to expect to learn the truth about us from prejudiced sources. So we are pleased to explain to you some of our principal beliefs.
God, the Bible, and the Messiah
God has a personal name, and Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that those who worship him should use that name. Almighty God declared to Moses that His name is “Jehovah.”(Exodus 3:15; Psalm 83:18) Moses, Abraham, and many other faithful men of old used this name of God.(Genesis 12:8; Ruth 2:4, 12) In fact, the name Jehovah occurs thousands of times in the Sacred Scriptures. Therefore, like those faithful men of ancient times, we use God’s name and serve in behalf of that name.—Isaiah 43:10.
Jehovah’s Witnesses firmly believe that the Sacred Scriptures, known also as the Bible, are inspired by Jehovah God and that they constitute his chief means of communication with mankind today. King David expressed it this way:“The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue.”(2 Samuel 23:2) We follow the Scriptures closely, allowing these to interpret themselves.
Jehovah’s Witnesses accept the so-called New Testament as the natural and inspired continuation of the Hebrew Scriptures. The “New Testament,” the section of the Sacred Scriptures originally composed in Greek, was written by Jews who lived in the first century C.E. These men were eyewitnesses of the fulfillment of Messianic prophecies recorded by such Hebrew prophets as Moses, Isaiah, and Daniel. They found in the unique teacher of their day, Jesus, the fulfillment of such prophecies as those at Genesis 49:10; Isaiah 52:13–53:12; and Daniel 9:24-27.
Therefore, Jehovah’s Witnesses accept Jesus as the Messiah, the one God provided as a legal means of rescuing mankind from the consequences of Adam’s sin. The Mosaic Law covenant showed the need for a sacrifice in order to make atonement.(Leviticus 16:6, 11, 15, 30; Numbers 15:22-29) However, the Mosaic covenant was conditional and temporary.(Exodus 19:5, 6) The prophet Jeremiah spoke of “a new covenant” that would bring complete and lasting forgiveness of sin.(Jeremiah 31:31-34) This “new covenant,” based on a perfect sacrifice, would provide the means for bringing faithful people into the promised earthly Paradise.—Isaiah 53:4-6, 10-12; 65:21-25.
Jehovah’s Witnesses are no part of Christendom. In fact, Christendom was founded nearly 300 years after Jesus’ death, and its beliefs have greatly deviated from what Jesus taught. For example, we do not accept Christendom’s belief in the Trinity, which teaches that Jesus is God himself. Nowhere do the Scriptures contain this blasphemous teaching.(Deuteronomy 6:4; Mark 12:29; John 14:28) We do not use the cross as a symbol, nor do we employ statues in any way as part of our worship. These are all things that the Bible condemns.—Exodus 20:3-5; 1 John 5:21.
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82635 Jul 14, 2012
"Quantummist"

I do copy and paste a lot…because of the lack of my formal education I like to copy facts and paste them from reliable sources rather than rely on my own knowledge. But I have studied those facts and agree with them or I would not blindly post information just because some religion said it. Also my spelling is terrible and my grammar is equally as bad therefore I rely on speller check to correct words for me.
I apologize to you if that offends you. Believe me it was not my intent.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#82636 Jul 14, 2012
MirrorMan wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. The New Testament was assembled from scattered writings and accounts that had survived the diocletianic persecution. There is conclusive evidence that creative editing was done with those collective texts. One example is that content was cut and pasted between the synoptic gospels. There must have been more omissions than can be counted, since much (probably most) of the original manuscripts where intentionally destroyed. By the mid to late 300's the gospels of the gnostics, the "Q sources", the hebrew gospels (including the original Gospel of Matthew) and others were outlawed by decree.
Emporer Constantine had died by 338 AD, and the tolerance embodied with the Edict of Milan waned as the church grew its power base. The bishops of the Councils of Nicaea, Constantinople and Carthage progressively argued and adopted the stories and tenets that became the Catholic Canon.(The Bible evolved. LOL!) The Holy Ghost had a sex change to masculine, Judas became a villian instead of an errand boy and Mary Magdalene was demoted from first disciple and consort to (implied and commonly accepted) whore.
I find it ironic - and no little bit pathetic - that the myriads of Christian sects that have arisen since 400 AD have each rooted their theologies on the product of the Third Council of Carthage, yet the majority of them renounce the Catholicism which created it as being a false religion. It's a bit like eating liver because you are a vegetarian.
lol, Crispies were never good at logic and thinking.

Bible history and criticism is fascinating.
juggalo

Columbia, SC

#82637 Jul 14, 2012
Known fact wrote:
Jehovah’s Witnesses—What Do They Believe?
Jehovah’s Witnesses today form an international organization that is completely separate from all other religious organizations. Since we are often misrepresented, it would be a mistake to expect to learn the truth about us from prejudiced sources. So we are pleased to explain to you some of our principal beliefs.
God, the Bible, and the Messiah
God has a personal name, and Jehovah’s Witnesses believe that those who worship him should use that name. Almighty God declared to Moses that His name is “Jehovah.”(Exodus 3:15; Psalm 83:18) Moses, Abraham, and many other faithful men of old used this name of God.(Genesis 12:8; Ruth 2:4, 12) In fact, the name Jehovah occurs thousands of times in the Sacred Scriptures. Therefore, like those faithful men of ancient times, we use God’s name and serve in behalf of that name.—Isaiah 43:10.
Jehovah’s Witnesses firmly believe that the Sacred Scriptures, known also as the Bible, are inspired by Jehovah God and that they constitute his chief means of communication with mankind today. King David expressed it this way:“The spirit of Jehovah it was that spoke by me, and his word was upon my tongue.”(2 Samuel 23:2) We follow the Scriptures closely, allowing these to interpret themselves.
Jehovah’s Witnesses accept the so-called New Testament as the natural and inspired continuation of the Hebrew Scriptures. The “New Testament,” the section of the Sacred Scriptures originally composed in Greek, was written by Jews who lived in the first century C.E. These men were eyewitnesses of the fulfillment of Messianic prophecies recorded by such Hebrew prophets as Moses, Isaiah, and Daniel. They found in the unique teacher of their day, Jesus, the fulfillment of such prophecies as those at Genesis 49:10; Isaiah 52:13–53:12; and Daniel 9:24-27.
Therefore, Jehovah’s Witnesses accept Jesus as the Messiah, the one God provided as a legal means of rescuing mankind from the consequences of Adam’s sin. The Mosaic Law covenant showed the need for a sacrifice in order to make atonement.(Leviticus 16:6, 11, 15, 30; Numbers 15:22-29) However, the Mosaic covenant was conditional and temporary.(Exodus 19:5, 6) The prophet Jeremiah spoke of “a new covenant” that would bring complete and lasting forgiveness of sin.(Jeremiah 31:31-34) This “new covenant,” based on a perfect sacrifice, would provide the means for bringing faithful people into the promised earthly Paradise.—Isaiah 53:4-6, 10-12; 65:21-25.
Jehovah’s Witnesses are no part of Christendom. In fact, Christendom was founded nearly 300 years after Jesus’ death, and its beliefs have greatly deviated from what Jesus taught. For example, we do not accept Christendom’s belief in the Trinity, which teaches that Jesus is God himself. Nowhere do the Scriptures contain this blasphemous teaching.(Deuteronomy 6:4; Mark 12:29; John 14:28) We do not use the cross as a symbol, nor do we employ statues in any way as part of our worship. These are all things that the Bible condemns.—Exodus 20:3-5; 1 John 5:21.
Do you think Baptist are going to hell ? Or any other religion for that matter ..also since its a known fact that the Jehovah's witnesses have been wrong so many times about the end of the world ..wouldn't it also stand to reason that they are wrong about a lot of other things too ?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#82638 Jul 14, 2012
juggalo wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think Baptist are going to hell ? Or any other religion for that matter ..also since its a known fact that the Jehovah's witnesses have been wrong so many times about the end of the world ..wouldn't it also stand to reason that they are wrong about a lot of other things too ?
If reason was a factor there would be no JW or Latter Day Saints or Adventists, etc.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#82639 Jul 14, 2012
There is a reason for seperation of church and state. For those that think the bible should be taught, are you also willing to accept a class on demonic worship to be taught as well? As a taxpayer, I oppose any religious study being brought into public schools. If you want your children to learn, please do so on your own time and at your own house.
juggalo

Columbia, SC

#82641 Jul 14, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If reason was a factor there would be no JW or Latter Day Saints or Adventists, etc.
True ..lol

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#82642 Jul 14, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> If God begat Jesus - either himself or via the socalled holy ghost - and if Mary was a teenage virgin, it was at least statutory rape. If I recall the socalled angel's announcement, she was told she was going to have God's child, not asked if she wanted to. If she accepted her fate - what option did she have? that would be same as rape - in essence - though apparently she did not experience the experience, so to speak.
Just occured to me when I read your question "what option did she have?" that she could have aborted it. Women have been terminating pregnancies since well before biblical times.

But, if she had, the Hebrew patriarchs would have just picked another "messiah" and written the same story.

Then again.... what if Mary was NOT THE FIRST "chosen one?"

Maybe there were other girls before her that made the decision to turn Yahweh's offer down.

What a plot for a novel! The thing practically writes itself...
It's said that everyone has at least one book in them.
LOL! Maybe this is mine.
Facepalm

Versailles, KY

#82643 Jul 14, 2012
Kentuckians always disappoint me on their knowledge of the constitution. You people talk so casually about it like "yeah this sounds like a good idea" when it's a direct violation of the constitution. It's almost the most unpatriotic thing you can say when you say you want the bible taught in schools. Move to Iran if you want religion in your government. Furthermore, the bible supports slavery, rape, genocide and has a fucking talking donkey in it. Read your kids fairy tales at home.
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82644 Jul 14, 2012
juggalo wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think Baptist are going to hell ? Or any other religion for that matter ..also since its a known fact that the Jehovah's witnesses have been wrong so many times about the end of the world ..wouldn't it also stand to reason that they are wrong about a lot of other things too ?
Your comment is based on false information! Jehovah's Witnesses never made numerous failed predictions about the end of the world! This is based on false propaganda promoted by other religious leaders in an effort to discredit Jehovah’s Witnesses.
As far as Jehovah's Witnesses believing that the Baptists are going to hell you would do well to do some research on the Bible's use of the word 'hell'. When you learn the true definition of the word hell as used in the Bible then you should rephrase your question and try asking it again.
BAD RELIGION

United States

#82645 Jul 14, 2012
"TO HAVE ARRIVED ON THIS EARTH AS A PRODUCT OF A BIOLOGICAL ACCIDENT, ONLY TO DEPART THROUGH HUMAN ARROGANCE, WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE IRONY". Get religion out of ur life. Live and see the wonderful place we r in. Don't let religion blind u. Religion is man made.
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82646 Jul 14, 2012
Facepalm wrote:
Kentuckians always disappoint meon their knowledge of the constitution. You people talk so casually about it like "yeah this sounds like a good idea" when it's a direct violation of the constitution. It's almost the most unpatriotic thing you can say when you say you want the bible taught in schools. Move to Iran if you want religion inyour government. Furthermore, the bible supports slavery, rape, genocide and has a fucking talking donkey in it. Readyour kids fairy tales at home.
I certainly would not criticize anyone on any subject if my vocabulary was as poor as yours! Try looking in a child’s dictionary for a better word to express yourself and then read the account in the Bible of the talking donkey. Then when you really know what you are talking about then try to restate your comment or possibly forget about it since it is very obvious you have no idea what you are talking about!
foolish

United States

#82647 Jul 14, 2012
that is foolish JW beleving that bapist's are going to hell that doesnt say that in the bible.jesus died for everyone.
Known fact

Cape Canaveral, FL

#82648 Jul 14, 2012
foolish wrote:
thatis foolish JW beleving that bapist's are going to hell that doesnt say thatin the bible.jesus died for everyone.
Jehovah's Witnesses mever made any such comment!

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#82649 Jul 14, 2012
This site claims the end of time dates are interpetations and not prophesies by JW.

"We are not for a moment denying that the publications - in particular the earlier ones - have at times published information that was speculative in nature and turned out to be mistaken. But the fact is that, for each of the dates commonly touted by critics as ‘false prophecies’(1874, 1914, 1925, 1975), Watch Tower publications had published cautionary statements to the effect that it was by no means certain what would happen."

http://jehovah.to/xlation/fp.html

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#82650 Jul 14, 2012
Known fact wrote:
<quoted text>
... and then read the account in the Bible of the talking donkey.
Would you please direct me to this account in the Bible? I'd like to see it for myself. Which book, chapter, etc.?

El Dorado Hills, CA

#82651 Jul 14, 2012
I've read somewhere but cannot remember the link that JW say that the generation that was born in 1914 would not all pass away before armageddon.
Assuming that would be 100 years in 2014 some JW think possilbe.

Yaa believes since 1948 to add 70 years you get 2018. So both YAA and JW are close in their speculations.

we have been warned: Boo!
Sir Nigel Kensington

Cape Coral, FL

#82652 Jul 14, 2012
Has anyone read that two thousand year old error-filled book of desert scribblings, by primitive tribesman, that details how we were all created by a benevolent sky genius? What? That sounds like bull crap? Funny! I was thinking the same thing....
Religion is delusion! god is a man made evil!

El Dorado Hills, CA

#82653 Jul 14, 2012
Known fact wrote:
<quoted text>
Jehovah's Witnesses mever made any such comment!
I have read that JW teach baptist are part of babylon the great and if you are baptist and not JW then you will get the second death (lake of fire), is that correct?

El Dorado Hills, CA

#82654 Jul 14, 2012
Eponymous wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you please direct me to this account in the Bible? I'd like to see it for myself. Which book, chapter, etc.?
Numbers 22:28 New Living Translation (©2007)

Then the LORD gave the donkey the ability to speak. "What have I done to you that deserves your beating me three times?" it asked Balaam

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paintsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a word, drop a word (Nov '10) 1 hr _Zoey_ 12,324
Poll Add or Remove 2 letters to from a new word (May '13) 1 hr _Zoey_ 852
🌟🌟Last Word First Word Game ... 1 hr Summer Breeze 7
If the CIA is abolished.... 1 hr Major Dump 5
any bi girls around? 2 hr wongus 9
Brittany Conley Goble 2 hr wongus 55
The Bar (Jan '13) 2 hr texas pete 10,510
Who Are Ronnie And Shane Webb? 2 hr Snot 14
wallace conley Mon THEMAN 64

Paintsville Jobs