Appalachian Wireless - Anyone else be...

Appalachian Wireless - Anyone else been ripped off?

Posted in the Paintsville Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
As I Seen It

Fedscreek, KY

#1 May 9, 2009
I am so blown away by the lies this company tells. I go in to get information...they say, sure, just activate and take this phone out in the area, if you can't get a signal, no problem, we'll reimburse you.

Well, there are a shitload of low to no signal areas, so I return the phone. They keep the activation fee and swear they told me it was non-refundable. No way! I would never, ever, have activated anything if I'd know that. So for all you out there thinking of using the company, better check signals on a friends phone before you do. Because they sure don't stand by their product. And they sure will keep your $30.00.

I think an activation fee is a load of green, soggy, buzzard, barf anyway. It should simply be a cost of doing business and absorbed by the company. But, it's screw the customer now-a-days.

Oh, and make sure you get every receipt that is coming to you as you complete your transaction. When I returned the phone, he gave me the receipt from the activation earlier that day that clearly stated "no refund for activation." Was it an accident that he didn't give me that receipt earlier? I think not! Scam, Scam, Scam, Scam, Scam, Scam,....

So, I went to AT&T, got a free blackberry, no activation charge at all, added my sister and cousin, for free. They got free phones, a 20% discount, 300 extra minutes and unite so we can call each other's home phones without having to use our minutes.

Appalachian Wireless knows they have a lot of dead spots and so they don't tell ya about the activation fee being non-refundable in order to make money. People won't stay with the deals they offer. Which in the long run is no deal at all. And this is a hometown company.

Wanna get screwed by a neighbor, go to Appalachian Wireless. That's how I see it.

funtime

Louisa, KY

#2 May 9, 2009
I have Appalachian and it works fine every where I go.
As I Seen It

Fedscreek, KY

#3 May 9, 2009
funtime wrote:
I have Appalachian and it works fine every where I go.
Well, you got lucky. I live in the sticks, not Lexington, and I was told there was only one place it got a low signal in Johnson County and that was around Loretta Lynn's homeplace. Well, that was so NOT true.
funtime

Louisa, KY

#4 May 9, 2009
I live in FlatGap and Appalachian is the only wireless service that works here. AT&T would not work at all.
got people

Adams, KY

#5 May 9, 2009
Go to Ashland and get verizon, have the best of both worlds- excellent service, great plans.

I dumped at&t in favor of verizon. I live in paintsville, and have not had a dead spot for more than a few seconds all around
As I Seen It

Fedscreek, KY

#6 May 9, 2009
got people wrote:
Go to Ashland and get verizon, have the best of both worlds- excellent service, great plans.
I dumped at&t in favor of verizon. I live in paintsville, and have not had a dead spot for more than a few seconds all around
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
funtime

Louisa, KY

#7 May 9, 2009
Will verizon work anywhere in the county?
Tell me about it

Little Valley, NY

#8 May 9, 2009
Amen sister! You are preaching to the choir! I can not wait until my contract runs out!! I was in there the other day, paying my bill, and they were talking about the insurance. It seems App Wireless has switched insurance companies. People who are paying every month for it are going to be shocked if they ever need it. It is not paying for anything! Even the guy working there said it isn't worth anything! And, hey, have they ever heard of ROLL OVER MINUTES??????
As I Seen It

Fedscreek, KY

#9 May 9, 2009
funtime wrote:
Will verizon work anywhere in the county?
I believe the Appalachian Wireless carrier is actually piggy-backed off of and rented from Verizon. So I'd say, yeap, it'll work like App Wireless.

Since: Apr 09

Humble, TX

#10 May 9, 2009
As I Seen It wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the Appalachian Wireless carrier is actually piggy-backed off of and rented from Verizon. So I'd say, yeap, it'll work like App Wireless.
Verizon phones use Appalachian Wireless's towers here in eastern Kentucky. Appalachian phones use Verizon towers outside of this area. Appalachian Wireless owns their own towers and network.

Out of curiosity, which store did you go to? What did the guy/girl look like who sold you your phones/told you their insurance is worthless?

Just curious, as I've had an issue as well.
i will tell ya

Virgie, KY

#13 May 9, 2009
ohh where would i begin... appalachian wirless... activation fees are just a great way for that company to make several hundreds of dollars daily if you ask me.. it wasn't long ago that this company had cards to not make pay this so called "activation fees". i did receive one or two in the mail from a sales people. real good deal.. i can't remember how it worked but think it was something like this i sent in my friends and they had no activation and i saved twenty dollars... but they don't do that anymore. i actually signed up at appleday one year and a man explained it to me that i could sent in as many as i wanted just as long as i kept sending people. so i did as many as i could.. well one day i had sent my sons teacher in with one of those cards and they told her that no longer took those cards.. well she added 3 phones and that was ninety dollars on her next bill... three hundred phone bill from there... she paid it and then disconnected it and went to verizon through ashland. that a crock of poo if you ask me.. for sure screwed by appalchian wireless.. you always get more... yeah more crap than you want....

“Your approval isn't necessary.”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#14 May 10, 2009
I always got good coverage with App Wireless, but I also got screwed... I was paying a little over 100 bucks a month for unlimited calling. With this plan I was supposed to be able to talk anytime I wanted, anywhere I wanted and for as long as I wanted with no extra charge. No peak fees, no roaming.. nothing.. I didn't always use it alot, but there were times when I was on it almost constantly so it was worth it. Then, my son broke his leg and had to have surgery in Lexington. Obviously I used the phone alot then. The next month I got a bill for over 1,000 friggin bucks! I called them to discuss it and they told me it was because I went WAY over my minutes. I told them I had unlimited, and asked how you go over something that has no limits. They said they had me down for only unlimited nights and weekends but only 20 anytime minutes. They had never had me on the unlimited plan. I asked them what they had been doing with my 100 bucks a month... it took me about 4 months to get it fixed and they STILL have me on the black list. So I went to at&t and haven't had this problem... I don't have as much coverage in some places, but the customer service makes up for it.

“ ~*Paula Fannin*~”

Paintsville

#15 May 10, 2009
I owe over 5 grand to them. They say that they don't charge for weekends and night time minutes but they did me. I was charged over 1 grand for 1 month. I went in to talk to them about it and they mailed me a paper that showed all of the calls I made. I looked it over myself and took it back in to show them the mistakes they had made. They just looked at me and told me that it was not their job to sit and look at those papers. So I told them to cut it off. They are still charging me over 300.00 a month for that phone and it is off. My monthly bill was only supposed to be 100.00. they just want to screw people over and get their money. APPALACHIAN SUCKS!!
hmmm

Hurricane, WV

#16 May 10, 2009
5 thousands dollars!!!..that's takes the cake on any cell phone bill i have ever heard of..lol
Curious

Prestonsburg, KY

#17 May 10, 2009
So Bam...Are you an App Wireless Supervisor??? Sure does sound like it...

Humble, TX

#18 May 10, 2009
Curious wrote:
I used to work for Verizon in Cincinnati. Several years ago.

Humble, TX

#19 May 10, 2009
Curious wrote:
But to answer your question, no I do not work for Appalachian Wireless, nor any other cell phone company. Used to work for Verizon when I was in college and I knew that my Verizon phone used Appalachian's towers when I was in the area, otherwise it wouldn't have registered as roaming.
Someone or Other

Martin, KY

#20 May 10, 2009
Just because you tell them to disconnect the phone, doesn't mean they stop charging you a bill. You signed a contract for 2 years for the phone, and if you didn't pay the early termination fee (Like 240 Bucks on the contract, you probably initialed it if it was on there), its on your shoulders. I hope they do not take you to court over it, or if they turn that into collections, you won't really have a leg to stand on if you initialed and signed. Otherwise.... OUCH.
Todd is a Wad

Fedscreek, KY

#22 May 11, 2009
I spent two years with Appalachian Wireless. They don't listen or discuss. The mafia is friendlier. All you hear is you owe it, pay it! I just held my tongue until my contract ran out and then left. What was the point of saying anything to them, they held all the cards?
Curious

Pikeville, KY

#23 May 26, 2009
Anybody read Floyd County Times about app Wireless on Friday? You should read Wednesday too. Interesting!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paintsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge Daniel keeps our budget balanced 4 min Shag 2
Pineview lane 4 min Shag 6
Bucky took ball and went home 4 min a mama 16
Meade Rentals 5 min Shag 16
Do Johnson County Democrats VOTE 5 min Shag 44
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 min Forumwatcher 177,984
Zach Bowen out jail all ready 42 min Neighbors 10

Paintsville Jobs

Personal Finance

Paintsville Mortgages