Highlands vs. Porter game

Posted in the Paintsville Forum

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Wildcat parent

Louisa, KY

#1 Oct 2, 2012
First of all I will not mention names of children and ask that no one does but without that said, I witnessed the most ridiculously called game last night of grade school ball I've ever seen. Highland Elementary's girls basketball team was undefeated this season up until last night and was robbed of the win by the idiot refs. Our girls were beat half to death by some VERY large and rough girls with no fouls called and when our coach approached the refs, he was thrown out and we were forced to forfeit because of him being the only coach we had there and he was kicked out. The poor sportsmanship and language of the Porter parents and fans was embarrasing to say the least. Mo Hall should be ashamed of himself. Porter parents and fans should be ashamed. Although they beat us on paper, we beat them on the board and I am so proud of our girls and coach for taking care of our kids. Shame on the ones that robbed our girls of the undefeated season that they worked so hard for.
Concerned parents

Paintsville, KY

#2 Oct 2, 2012
That's just soo sad! Why shouldn't the ref be called out or confronted when EVERYONE sees that he's not making a bunch of correct calls? Hope the Highland girls doesn't accept that as a defeat! VERY UNFAIR!!! JUST SAYING!!!!!
Appauled

Frankfort, KY

#3 Oct 2, 2012
I am not a Wildcat parent but my daughter plays for another elementary team and I have to say that everytime our team has traveled to Porter it has been the same way. I have never seen such rude and mean parents at any other school.And it is ashame that the parents act more juvenile them the children do.It makes me sick that the JCEAA would allow such behaviors from a county school and the parents. I heard about everything that happened during the Highland vs Porter game last night and I must say I was not surprised at all by what I was being told because we have experienced it ourself. Something needs to be done about this. It is not fair to the Highland Wildcat girls, who have an excellant season and was robbed due to unfair acts!!
loser

Paintsville, KY

#4 Oct 2, 2012
Sounds to me like you are a sore loser. We all want our kids to win. Sometimes they don't seriously get over it!
Poor Examples

Inez, KY

#5 Oct 2, 2012
Typical Highland. If a family member is not a referee they think they are getting cheated. Also, the Highland parents and fans were the ones coming out onto the floor at the end of the game, not the Porter fans. Porter having several large girls? That is a ridiculous statement. Porter's biggest player was smaller than 2 of the Highland starters, and every other player for Highland was bigger than the girls for Porter. Someone finally stood up to the all mighty Highland and they couldn't take it!
parent

Louisa, KY

#6 Oct 2, 2012
I'll second the statement that Porter games are the worst. I've never experienced such rude people in my life. The Porter Coaches and refs should be ashamed for letting the game get to the point that it did and not trying to protect the girls on the floor. The rules the refs are supposed to follow are designed to keep the kids safe and play a fair game and its not too much to ask that they do the job they are paid to do. Its a shame and I'm all for out of county refs. I think there should be complaints to the board and thats exactly what I'm going to do.
Iwasthere

United States

#7 Oct 2, 2012
I was at this game last night and how many times did our best player on our team hit the floor with no call. And highlands had 2 players bigger than her and 3 around her size. Is it a coincidence that porter was in the double bonus with around 4 mins to go in the 2nd quarter. And you say we were rude... but when a highlands players was knocked down once after one pf Porter's girls had been knocked down several times... and. There are parents screaming at the ref to meet them outside???? And if he is the only coach and he has 1 tech already... how smart do you have to be to not get a second one n get thrown out... not rocket science. He was mad because he pressed too long n got his players n foul trouble. Just sayin
blow the whistle

Winchester, KY

#8 Oct 2, 2012
Poor Examples wrote:
Typical Highland. If a family member is not a referee they think they are getting cheated. Also, the Highland parents and fans were the ones coming out onto the floor at the end of the game, not the Porter fans. Porter having several large girls? That is a ridiculous statement. Porter's biggest player was smaller than 2 of the Highland starters, and every other player for Highland was bigger than the girls for Porter. Someone finally stood up to the all mighty Highland and they couldn't take it!
Almight Highland? That statement makes me wonder.....Those were young girls out there playing a sport they love for the school they attend. Who is almighty? Sounds like someone is jealous. Their coach and their principal made a wise decision to forfeit a game that was out of control by the referees. Not by Porter or their parents. Those girls that play for Highland are no different from any other school. But when your players are being pushed and knocked into the bleachers and no fouls are being called a coach has to protect their players. You know it is bad when a school forfeits a game due to a game out of control and it solely lies on the referees. These girls that played against each other will be teammates in the middle school and high school and will be friends and hold no ill will towards each other. The only thing that they will remember is how two referees wanted to be seen more than the talent of the girls of both teams. Such a shame.
Iwasthere

Stanton, KY

#9 Oct 2, 2012
And another thing... I would consider a new coach if I were highlands... what kind of example is being set by teaching them to quit when its hard???
blow the whistle

Winchester, KY

#10 Oct 2, 2012
I don't think he was the one who forfeited. I believe it was the asst. principal of Highland Elementary.
HES Parent

Louisa, KY

#11 Oct 2, 2012
This has been a complaint against Porter in many games this year with different refs so I'm asking how the referee's are solely to blame here. These girls are notorious for cracking under pressure and then being overly dramatic to draw fouls and that my friend takes away from the sport they are playing. They are there to play ball and if they
resort to tactics like that then teach them to play ball more efficiently and safer so that they can actually play with the other teams without causing problems. They pulled those girls out of there for their own safety and the parents have every right to be fighting mad that their kids were robbed of a undefeated season. We don't blame the assistant principal, we blame the refs as well as the coaches and team at Porter. After all the fuss we'll see who prevails at tournament time and that little win on paper won't mean much when we're cutting the net.
Shanky

Lexington, KY

#12 Oct 2, 2012
Somebody needs to put the hens back in the house. Cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck.
Iwasthere

United States

#13 Oct 2, 2012
@HES PARENT..... wow... so you are taking shots at the kids now.... I guess if the game had played out n Porter would won the it would've been the balls fault too huh. I watched the entire thing and more player for porter hit the floor then highlands players.... and there were hard fouls ON BOTH SIDES, But less were called on Porter because when u see a girl get hit in the face ya kinda gotta call em. She hit the floor several times without a call. Imagine if the hadn't missed so many. If they called all that was there and it kept going at the rate highlands was... they would've had ti forfeit anyway because every single player would've fouled out.
Slugger

Howell, MI

#14 Oct 2, 2012
What it all comes down to is coaching, and Coach Branham got it done.
Lance Uppercut

Stollings, WV

#15 Oct 2, 2012
Winning games is all about talent and coaching...and coach Branham got every ounce of talent he could out of his squad and it shows. Better team won.
Proud Porter Panther

Howell, MI

#16 Oct 2, 2012
I couldn't agree more! Coach of the Year!
County Bball Scout

Winchester, VA

#17 Oct 2, 2012
Coach Branham has turned those girls from young Xena Warrior Princesses into young Branhams
seriously

Hagerhill, KY

#18 Oct 2, 2012
am not a Wildcat parent but my daughter plays for another elementary team and I have to say that everytime our team has traveled to Porter it has been the same way. I have never seen such rude and mean parents at any other school.And it is ashame that the parents act more juvenile them the children do.It makes me sick that the JCEAA would allow such behaviors from a county school and the parents. I heard about everything that happened during the Highland vs Porter game last night and I must say I was not surprised at all by what I was being told because we have experienced it ourself. Something needs to be done about this. It is not fair to the Highland Wildcat girls, who have an excellant season and was robbed due to unfair acts!!

The parents were fine at Porter as they are always fine. Not a one person got up or acted out of the way. Our coaches and players were a class act as always. He was not forced to forfeit, he decided to forfeit. Then refused to shake hands and was cursing as he was going through the line. It someone if upset at how a game is called....fine, don't bash students and their parents. Isn't it enough that our 6th graders "6th grade night" was ruined. Your should not be stating that "Porter is pathetic" as I believe you made in a previous statement on another public formum.
Waaa

Auxier, KY

#19 Oct 2, 2012
Oh call the waaaa-bulance. Porter beat you, get over it. Maybe you should teach the young dykes that they will win some/lose some.
just saying

Salyersville, KY

#20 Oct 2, 2012
Well in this age of cell phones and video and youtube why not film the parents acting badly and post it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paintsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Red Cross In Paintsville 1 min smh 61
Last post wins (Nov '10) 1 min _FLATLINE-------- 21,825
cheating at walmart on nightshift 1 min Kool 7
Gary McClure/KSP 1 min Big Chief 17
Add a word, drop a word (Nov '10) 1 min Jen 10,303
Change a Letter Game (Nov '10) 1 min Jen 6,650
Poll Add or Remove 2 letters to from a new word (May '13) 6 min Jen 386
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paintsville Mortgages