Comments
21 - 40 of 49 Comments Last updated Nov 23, 2012
jr johnson

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Nov 4, 2012
 
Real Deal Holifield wrote:
Jr. moved his kids to a different school. Now they are making good grades. This frequently happens when you move your kids to a lesser school. Just wait until high school. They will really love to be thrown into that mess with 1500 other kids, and probably two thirds of them don't care about education. Drugs, fights, sex... what an environment.
why do people think they know something about people they never met.
i do have one child in high school and one in college. had i left them at paintsville, they would have graduated not being ready for college. all i was trying to tell people is if their children are unhappy at school. it may be the students fault and it may be the teachers fault and the children may not say nothing, the young children are more likely not to say anything.but in my case one of my children went through 6th grade with no problem then in 7th a teacher started picking on him and he is not the only one that this happened to. i went in and talked to the teacher and asked him if i could do anything to help. nothing changed. i talked to the principal and he said 99% of the complaints he gets is on that teacher.but did not do anything about it. i know this goes on alot of schools not just paintsville.there are some good teachers at paintsville but there are some that needs to be replaced.
rEvolution

Staffordsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Nov 5, 2012
 
jr johnson wrote:
kentucky should have a websight where all certified teachers looking for a job can view job openings and post their resume. the state also needs to pass a law that every school have certified teachers for every class and they be certified for the subject they teach. also need to abolish the emergency teacher program. it is abused at paintsville to get relatives and friends a job and once the teach a year, they become certifed to teach anywhere in the state. also teachers need to be evaluated each year to make sure their students are learning. I am sure this goes on in alot of schools. I know certified teachers that have been passed over to hire a relative or buddy who is not certified but are kin to a teacher there or is needed to coach sports. they need to ad to the law that teachers cannot coach any sports with the exception of the P E teacher.I got my children out of there and now they are doing wonderful, making good grades and enjoy going to school. my only regret is that i ever started them in paintsville. and before anyone starts blaming the child, my children did not have any behavior problems and their teachers loved them. so if you child is unhappy at school please investigate and see what is going on. most time there is something wrong. one of my children hated first grade at paintsville and i later found out why. his teacher screamed at some of the children all the time and he was not raised in that kind of enviorment yet the school let it go on, and yes you could here her from the principils office.
Personally I think you have some good ideas.
In my experience, I went to Central middle and high school in my younger years and things were pretty bad there. A select few teachers would either scream at you or completely ignore you (as well as in other elementary schools in Johnson County). There would be cigarette smoke rolling out of the bathrooms in clouds. There were students who threatened me and made going to school unimaginably hard. My mother and I complained to several different higher-ups, even the guidance counselor- but they did nothing.
I know several people who have went to Central and somehow made it all the way through school AND graduated and yet they struggle to read and write things they should have learned in elementary school! I don't understand how that can happen and why they let it continue. It truly is a shame. The people I know that graduated from Paintsville High School seem much more educated.
Good luck to you and your children.
Real Deal Holifield

Logan, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Nov 5, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

had i left them at paintsville, they would have graduated not being ready for college.

This statement could not be further from the truth. Don't ask us on Topix. Ask people from the state's collegesand universities. There are very few high schools in this state that can equal the level of preparedness that PHS graduates achieve before entering college.
gary stepp

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Nov 5, 2012
 
paintsville high schools SAT score is 22. you have to have at least a 24 to get into the state engineering program
lolp

Van Lear, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Nov 5, 2012
 
Real Deal Holifield wrote:
had i left them at paintsville, they would have graduated not being ready for college.
This statement could not be further from the truth. Don't ask us on Topix. Ask people from the state's collegesand universities. There are very few high schools in this state that can equal the level of preparedness that PHS graduates achieve before entering college.
just tell the truth, you couldn't afford to attend a good school.
jr johnson

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Nov 5, 2012
 
lolp wrote:
<quoted text>
just tell the truth, you couldn't afford to attend a good school.
how the hell do you know what i can afford? it did not cost anything for them to go to paintsville. but i had to pay alot for private school and tutoring to get them caught up before they went to private schools.and i still have to pay a big chunk of property taxes that go to paintsville schools, so i am pay twice for my childrens education. is there no neptisiom laws for schools. the principals wife even works there. and if something happened in the brown family, they would just have to close school till they get back there are so many brown relitives teaching there.
Hunter

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Nov 6, 2012
 
gary stepp wrote:
paintsville high schools SAT score is 22. you have to have at least a 24 to get into the state engineering program
lol no one in this state takes the SAT everyone takes the ACT and we averaged 22 which is top five in the state
Hunter

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Nov 6, 2012
 
Johnson Central averaged 18.2 on the ACT

Paintsville averaged 21.4
Hunter

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Nov 6, 2012
 
Real Deal Holifield

Logan, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Nov 6, 2012
 
gary stepp wrote:
paintsville high schools SAT score is 22. you have to have at least a 24 to get into the state engineering program
The lowest score possible on the S.A.T. is a 600.
Coach

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#32
Nov 6, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

jr johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
how the hell do you know what i can afford? it did not cost anything for them to go to paintsville. but i had to pay alot for private school and tutoring to get them caught up before they went to private schools.and i still have to pay a big chunk of property taxes that go to paintsville schools, so i am pay twice for my childrens education. is there no neptisiom laws for schools. the principals wife even works there. and if something happened in the brown family, they would just have to close school till they get back there are so many brown relitives teaching there.
Boo-hoo poor me, my Johnny is in private school so he can eat his boogers in peace and not be chastised by the other kids or teachers. I have to pay double boo-hoo, my Johnny gets choclate milk and ice cream because he has a normal like his dadddy
jr johnson

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#33
Nov 6, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Hunter wrote:
<quoted text>
lol no one in this state takes the SAT everyone takes the ACT and we averaged 22 which is top five in the state
nothing to brag about!
hahaha

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#34
Nov 6, 2012
 
so funny.., and yet so sad...
Real Kill Mollyville

Auxier, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#35
Nov 9, 2012
 
Real Deal Holifield wrote:
<quoted text>Jr. should have posted "a lot", not "allot."
You misused the possessive pronoun "your" when you should have used the contraction "you're." If you are going to correct grammar, then you must use correct grammar. C'mon man!
Yeah a lot is separated u hillbilly mountain climbers
trev

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#36
Nov 10, 2012
 
my child is out now... have these 2 teachers moved Ms. Davis and Grimm?
try to decide which school is best Paintsville or Central???
Akers

Van Lear, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#38
Nov 11, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Jr. Johnson , nothing you posted made any sense. I am not sure the last time that you were at Paintsville Elementary but the first grade is in a complete different building from the principal's office. Also, the state department requires you to be certified and to teach in your area. Please tell me that you didn't graduate from Painrsville because if you did I am not sure who your grammar teacher was !
mr j r

Richmond, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#39
Nov 11, 2012
 
Akers wrote:
Jr. Johnson , nothing you posted made any sense. I am not sure the last time that you were at Paintsville Elementary but the first grade is in a complete different building from the principal's office. Also, the state department requires you to be certified and to teach in your area. Please tell me that you didn't graduate from Painrsville because if you did I am not sure who your grammar teacher was !
the dept of ed. has an emergency teacher program that is used if the school cannot find a certified teacher. they hire someone with a college degree and after they teach 1 year they become certified to teach anywhere in the state. No I didn't graduate from Paintsville.ps I didn' graduate from Painrsville ethier where ever that is.just write a freedom of information act letter requesting a list of all teachers and the subjuct they are certified in an dyou will see what I am talking about, or you can go to dept of ed. website and lookup each teacher. I have not
been there for a while but I dont know where they could havemoved the principals office the only other choice is the high school or the board office. go to the web site and lookup craig ratliff, he was a drug rep and they hired him. jason kinner was hired for algebra he only had a business degree. but they wanted him for football coach.vanhoos girl hired for spanish teacher with no degree or training. also johnny lemaster's daughter was hired and worked 9 weeks then quit for a better job.{you need to check your facts} I have been there and know what went on while my child was there.they get around the law by waiting till 1 or 2 weeks before school starts then say they cant find a cert. teacher

“E A D G B E”

Since: Oct 10

3rd String is the G String

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#40
Nov 13, 2012
 
jr johnson wrote:
kentucky should have a websight where all certified teachers looking for a job can view job openings and post their resume. the state also needs to pass a law that every school have certified teachers for every class and they be certified for the subject they teach. also need to abolish the emergency teacher program. it is abused at paintsville to get relatives and friends a job and once the teach a year, they become certifed to teach anywhere in the state. also teachers need to be evaluated each year to make sure their students are learning. I am sure this goes on in alot of schools. I know certified teachers that have been passed over to hire a relative or buddy who is not certified but are kin to a teacher there or is needed to coach sports. they need to ad to the law that teachers cannot coach any sports with the exception of the P E teacher.I got my children out of there and now they are doing wonderful, making good grades and enjoy going to school. my only regret is that i ever started them in paintsville. and before anyone starts blaming the child, my children did not have any behavior problems and their teachers loved them. so if you child is unhappy at school please investigate and see what is going on. most time there is something wrong. one of my children hated first grade at paintsville and i later found out why. his teacher screamed at some of the children all the time and he was not raised in that kind of enviorment yet the school let it go on, and yes you could here her from the principils office.
I agree with you completely as far as the teacher qualifications go. The emergency teacher program is definitely abused just about everywhere.
Board of Education

Salyersville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#41
Nov 13, 2012
 
Misty Fitch wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you completely as far as the teacher qualifications go. The emergency teacher program is definitely abused just about everywhere.
Thanks for that riviting insight. What would we do without your wisdom? I will pass this on to the rest of the board members and look into it. Great post.

“E A D G B E”

Since: Oct 10

3rd String is the G String

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#42
Nov 13, 2012
 
Board of Education wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for that riviting insight. What would we do without your wisdom? I will pass this on to the rest of the board members and look into it. Great post.
I don't know what you would do without my "riveting insight". BTW, Lawrence County is really in trouble. They will be lucky if the state doesn't come in and take over.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

67 Users are viewing the Paintsville Forum right now

Search the Paintsville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 46 min Cornelius Scudmister 146,423
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr USA 128,758
keep it up jcso 1 hr Knows 101
that fat bitcch Becky gorman on 6th st is a chi... 1 hr OMG 3
Day Reads and Comments the OT - Wisdom Books (Jul '13) 1 hr Day 593
DJ's Pizza 3 hr Drunky McDrinky 2
Paintsville Independent using uncertified teachers 3 hr PHS alum 42
Hammond Five is alive (Oct '11) 13 hr Dickens1 11,714
•••
•••
•••
•••

Paintsville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Paintsville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Paintsville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Paintsville
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••