Train Fatally Strikes Woman in Paines...

Train Fatally Strikes Woman in Painesville

There are 97 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Feb 19, 2010, titled Train Fatally Strikes Woman in Painesville. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

Authorities tell Fox 8 News that a 26-year-old woman died Friday morning after being struck by a train in Lake County.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
What a shame

Cleveland, OH

#88 Feb 20, 2010
family wrote:
<quoted text>
listen you friken inconsiderate a-holes!!!!!!!!! This was my niece. she just lost her cousin, she was a loving mother of two and a very special and caring person!!! it doesnt matter that they were4 drunk, are you telling me you never drink!?! everyone partake now and then. point is that she is now passed on and her family and children now morn her, how can you be so damn rude. what if this was your family member, would you be so quick to judge morons! this could be your mother, sister, child, etc. how would you feel then. and to sit and have to read dumb comments about hillbillies and drunk white trash, give me a break. this is a real person with real feelings and a real family! i cant believe you would be so damn foolish to write such bullcrap! i love my niece dearly and she was a truly wonderful person!!!! people like you who dont take time to know real people or consider peoples feelings. this only goes to prove that people like you only care about yourselves and not other people, well here is a wake up call for you......you are not the only person on this planet. grow up, think of others and only god may judge you!!! may god bless your soul and forgive you of the rotten things you have said of a deceased person. this goes for all rude comments from all foolish and very childish people. as for me i forgive yuou for your imature ways. you are the ones that live life to the least and need to live with yourselves for what you do!
"It doesn't matter that they were drunk"???? What are you, an idiot??
I'm willing to bet you that if they weren't even at the bar period, this would have never happened. And believe it or not, not everyone "partakes now and then", there are people who never drink alcohol, myself being one.
Thelocal

Santa Clara, CA

#89 Feb 20, 2010
Everyone is bashing these women for being drunk, but I work at the ballpark and all of us went through alcohol training and we are told when to stop serving those who are drunk. There is the Dram Law where they have to stop serving alcoholic beverages to patrons if they look intoxicated or their liquor licenses will be taken. Then if the family decides to sue the establishment for serving drunks they could sue the bartender that served them the booze as well as the establishment also. Its the bar and the bartender's fault that they kept serving them. Has anyone considered that the bar is at fault too? Oh yeah, I forgot they are too busy blaming the victim for being a "drunk hillbilly".
Jake

Wooster, OH

#90 Feb 20, 2010
Thelocal wrote:
Everyone is bashing these women for being drunk, but I work at the ballpark and all of us went through alcohol training and we are told when to stop serving those who are drunk. There is the Dram Law where they have to stop serving alcoholic beverages to patrons if they look intoxicated or their liquor licenses will be taken. Then if the family decides to sue the establishment for serving drunks they could sue the bartender that served them the booze as well as the establishment also. Its the bar and the bartender's fault that they kept serving them. Has anyone considered that the bar is at fault too? Oh yeah, I forgot they are too busy blaming the victim for being a "drunk hillbilly".
I am sick of people blaming everyone but the person responsible. No one poured the booze down her throat, made her walk past "no trespassing" signs and then stumble around on an active railroad track. As tragic as it is, it is no one ones fault but hers. If she cared so much about her kids she wouldn't have been pounding down drinks at some dirt floor bar. This is on her not anyone else.
Sell your line somewhere else because that dog won't hunt here.
Thelocal

Santa Clara, CA

#91 Feb 20, 2010
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sick of people blaming everyone but the person responsible. No one poured the booze down her throat, made her walk past "no trespassing" signs and then stumble around on an active railroad track. As tragic as it is, it is no one ones fault but hers. If she cared so much about her kids she wouldn't have been pounding down drinks at some dirt floor bar. This is on her not anyone else.
No sh*t Einstein but that's why I brought the dram law up. No one forced her to drink, but they sure enough kept on serving it to her to make her drunk instead of cutting her off like they were legally supposed to do. Once your at the drunk stage you have no control of what you do and that's why she wondered on the track. Alcohol makes people stupid and that's why bars are supposed to cut you off and they didn't do that. They probably didn't realize how much beer they were drinking that's how drunk they were and that's how they got into this situation.
Thelocal

Santa Clara, CA

#92 Feb 20, 2010
Jake wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I'm going to kill your dog right here, right now before you leave. The dram shop law is a liquor liability legislation in 20 states under which a dispenser of alcoholic beverages is held responsible for bodily injury and/or property damage caused by its customers to a 3rd party. These businesses can purchase insurance to cover any violations of the dram shop law but it is at a really high premium rate. Then they have the dram shop liability laws which I found in my manual from the ballpark and it says a party injured by an intoxicated person can sue the establishment contributing to that persons intoxication. Ohio extended the law to where they can be held responsible for that drunk persons behavior.

You told me no one was responsible for pouring the booze down her throat but the bar sure enough didn't stop her either. She got drunk, went into a no trespassing area and got killed. She had impaired judgment and was killed and they have this law to protect her. The bar was at fault too because they did not make the effort to stop serving her and they continually kept on serving her. I've been in bars and I work in the food service industry and most places now are so money hungry that they don't care about this law and they keep serving people that have one to many. I don't play that because I don't want to be held responsible for killing someone and I flat out tell them that I cannot serve you any more alcohol.
I hope your property insurance covers your dead dog.
Thelocal

Santa Clara, CA

#93 Feb 20, 2010
I would like to dare someone to one day go into a bar and see how well they enforce the dram shop law and the dram shop liability law and see how drunk you can get before they cut you off. They are responsible for cutting you off and when you are bar hoping and they know you came in there boozed up see if they deny you a drink because your intoxicated. Chances are they won't. That's another violation of the dram law. They want your money.

Sorry about the multiple posts. I can only type 5524 characters per post.
old friend

United States

#94 Feb 20, 2010
I hope that everyone on here that is throwing stones do not live in glass houses. I would love to be as perfect as those of you, who are putting down Christina and Wanda. Bottom line Christina lost her life, Wanda might lose hers. Do you idiots think that if they could take back that night and change the events that they would not. Do you think that Christina's children care what you all think of their mother. NO they love her. Her family and friends love her. It is her/their family and friends drying their tears for the loss of their mother. Same holds true for Wanda. AGAIN, yes they should not have crossed the tracks, but it happened and it can not be taken back. Good luck to all of you who have never made a stupid mistake in your life. Glass houses do break.
Grace

Dallas, TX

#95 Feb 20, 2010
old friend wrote:
I hope that everyone on here that is throwing stones do not live in glass houses. I would love to be as perfect as those of you, who are putting down Christina and Wanda. Bottom line Christina lost her life, Wanda might lose hers. Do you idiots think that if they could take back that night and change the events that they would not. Do you think that Christina's children care what you all think of
their mother. NO they love her. Her family
and friends love her. It is her/their family and
friends drying their tears for the loss of their
mother. Same holds true for Wanda.
AGAIN, yes they should not have crossed
the tracks, but it happened and it can not be
taken back. Good luck to all of you who
have never made a stupid mistake in your
life. Glass houses do break.
God bless you. You are so right. What happened is so sad. The family and friends of Christina are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray for the recovery of Wanda also.
onemad friend

Barberton, OH

#96 Feb 21, 2010
look people keep your rude and ignorant comments to yourself iam the friends with that girls cousin you horrible people are calling a no good hillbilly and she has gotton on here and read what you are saying about her cousin who she was very very close to and has to attend her funreal here in the up coming days and for her to have to go through that and on top of it all read the nasty things you are saying about her couin/loved one is just wrong her cousin died a not so pleasent death and yea she should of been at home with her kids but dont yall dare sit there and act like you have never took a night off for yourself and went and hung out at a bar so take a look in the mirror and fix your own messed up life before you start making comments on people you dont know if you aint gonna post a comment paying your final resepects to this girl dont bother leaving one at all because she was a mother and someones daughter and cousin! think about your hateful words and the family that is suffering before you post your hateful hillbilly comments because im sure you aint any better yourselfs!
Jake

Wooster, OH

#97 Feb 21, 2010
Thelocal
You told me no one was responsible for pouring the booze down her throat but the bar sure enough didn't stop her either

Gee thanks for the class on dram laws and what a ethical bar tender you are. The point still is that the victim is responsible for her own actions. When are people going to own up to that? And as long as your passing the blame here what about the Aunt? I mean she's the relative here does she share some of it? Maybe because she's not covered by your "dram law" she skates huh?
Bottom line: People have to be responsible and accountable for their own actions. It's a tragic accident that could have been avoided.
Thelocal

Santa Clara, CA

#98 Feb 21, 2010
Jake wrote:
Thelocal
You told me no one was responsible for pouring the booze down her throat but the bar sure enough didn't stop her either
Gee thanks for the class on dram laws and what a ethical bar tender you are. The point still is that the victim is responsible for her own actions. When are people going to own up to that? And as long as your passing the blame here what about the Aunt? I mean she's the relative here does she share some of it? Maybe because she's not covered by your "dram law" she skates huh?
Bottom line: People have to be responsible and accountable for their own actions. It's a tragic accident that could have been avoided.
I didn't say nobody was responsible. Where did I write that no one was responsible? If you would have read the post carefully and that's the problem now a days that nobody knows how to read, I said that the restaurant is held RESPONSIBLE for getting their patrons drunk under the dram law when they know that they had one to many to drink, but they refused to shut the booze off. They needed to stop serving both women alcohol when they noticed that they were showing signs of intoxication. I am shifting the blame to the restaurant. I know that your having trouble reading, so are you still following me? Here it is again, just in case you missed it. Since most newspapers write things on a fifth grade level, I will break it down for you. The bartender seen these women piling on the booze and he knows that you could only have so much liquor or booze before you become intoxicated. He kept on serving them and he knew by law that he had to stop serving booze to intoxicated patrons but he didn't. I don't care if it was the aunt, grandma, or jack the ripper buying the booze for them, they were showing of intoxication. The bar failed to stop serving them booze. He violated the dram law and kept serving them. Back in the day when you were drunk and you injured and/or caused property damage they would always charge the drunk with whatever crime they did and it ended there. They created this dram stop law to also cover the bars also so the bar can be also held responsible for getting them drunk. Why do to think you can order so many drinks before bartenders cut you off? In case I know they didn't because he wasn't doing his job. Why do you think they offer you a designated driver when they know your tipsy? It is because of the dram law. They know that if the drunk does something wrong the cops will come after the bartender and the bar owner also. Not only will the drunk be in trouble but so will the bar. The dram law covers every and all patrons that walk up in there. As for me being a bartender you are dead wrong. I work as a cook, but we still have to know the alcohol laws because they send us out on business trips and I might not be working as a cook at someone elses stadium. They sent me to Buffalo and they had me work a portable that served booze and my alcohol training came in handy. I was cooking and serving alcohol there and I had to tell some of the people I legally cannot serve them any more booze.

“A work in progress”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#99 Feb 21, 2010
old friend wrote:
I hope that everyone on here that is throwing stones do not live in glass houses. I would love to be as perfect as those of you, who are putting down Christina and Wanda. Bottom line Christina lost her life, Wanda might lose hers. Do you idiots think that if they could take back that night and change the events that they would not. Do you think that Christina's children care what you all think of their mother. NO they love her. Her family and friends love her. It is her/their family and friends drying their tears for the loss of their mother. Same holds true for Wanda. AGAIN, yes they should not have crossed the tracks, but it happened and it can not be taken back. Good luck to all of you who have never made a stupid mistake in your life. Glass houses do break.
Well said! Some friends of my old nieghbors recently took a nite off after not getting a lot of rest because they just had a baby. They left the baby with it's grandmother while they went to a friends house for the night nearby. The grandmothers trailer caught on fire...(which is also where they stayed)... around 3 am somehow and my friend had to bury his mom and his son. People were so quick to point fingers at them for taking a night off and leaving their son too. Some people are just heartless. I met the father a couple of times when we were all hanging out and he was a super nice guy. I felt horrible for him and his girlfriend even though I never met her. Drunk or not doesn't matter, sober people have got hit by trains too. It's very sad. My prayers go out to you and yours and a swift recovery to Wanda. No one is perfect and maybe one day when something bad happens to the people these people love they will realize that. For now just ignore them, placing the blame and pointing fingers isn't going to bring your loved one back.
Kate

United States

#100 Feb 22, 2010
You know how long can you all go.. A woman died.. If it was one of your friends you wouldnt be talking like this. What is wrong with you people. Her children dont have mother. I think it is sad. Get a life......
Just Curious

San Diego, CA

#102 Feb 22, 2010
Just Curious wrote:
For all of you saying what if it was YOUR mother or family.....uhm, if it was my family I certainly wouldn't be reading crap on message board that I know could potentially say shity things I don't need to see or hear. Especially if I was a hick.
Nikki H wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean that if a close loved one of your's just died tragically you wouldn't be posting on Topix? What would you be doing? Like, consoling your family or something crazy like that? ;)
Yeah, like that!:)
Cheryl Godkin-McElroy

United States

#103 Feb 22, 2010
Christine was 27!!!!She was my cousin my best friend she wanted to change her last name because of all the negativity to all those who say she was an ignorant hill billy look in the mirror what my family needs right now is some support to know that people care she wasn't dumb.
Tell me how do you explain to a three year old and a five year old that Mommy isn't coming home. We wanted compassion not ignorance!!!!!!!!! You have no right to disrespect her she was a greater woman then any of you foul egotistical people!!!!!! Those who believe that women aren't capable of anything we don't walk around carrying your stupid little sperm,(looking like a boat in the process) give birth through excruciating pain to be disrespected and degraded when one of you men learns how to have a child by yourself then maybe you'd understand.
We Love You Christine!!!!!!!!!!
old friend

United States

#104 Feb 22, 2010
Cheryl Godkin-McElroy wrote:
Christine was 27!!!!She was my cousin my best friend she wanted to change her last name because of all the negativity to all those who say she was an ignorant hill billy look in the mirror what my family needs right now is some support to know that people care she wasn't dumb.
Tell me how do you explain to a three year old and a five year old that Mommy isn't coming home. We wanted compassion not ignorance!!!!!!!!! You have no right to disrespect her she was a greater woman then any of you foul egotistical people!!!!!! Those who believe that women aren't capable of anything we don't walk around carrying your stupid little sperm,(looking like a boat in the process) give birth through excruciating pain to be disrespected and degraded when one of you men learns how to have a child by yourself then maybe you'd understand.
We Love You Christine!!!!!!!!!!
I could not agree with you more. I am so sorry for you loss.. I knew Christine and Wanda. My prayers go out to all. Some people have no compassion and will never be able to see beyond their own selfish views.
Thelocal

Santa Clara, CA

#106 Feb 23, 2010
pistoff wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, if the kids are into Thomas the Tank Engine, I imagine it would be pretty easy.
Thomas the Tank Engine may have their share of accidents but they never hit anyone trying to cross a railroad track. PBS will never air it. I used to watch it when I was 5 or 6 back in the early '90's and now my nephew watches it.
Whatever happened last night all we could say is someone died getting hit by a train and it wouldn't matter if they were drunk or not, the lady isn't coming home to her family. We had a group of teenagers that were trying to get home quickly and decided to cross a railroad truss and they wound up getting hit by a train and no alcohol was involved and they ignored the no trespassing sign also. You don't have to be drunk to do something stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Painesville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
St. John's home for girls, painesville, ohio (Apr '15) Mar 14 Kim Koenig 18
News Dinosaur dung sells at NYC auction for nearly $... (May '08) Feb '17 Phart Paleontolog... 11
Mentor High School cesspool Jan '17 Mr T 1
painesville sucks (Dec '06) Jan '17 Elaine 38
Maggie simcic (May '14) Dec '16 Buttplug 5
i eat my own poo (Jun '11) Dec '16 Buttplug 21
looking for USMC buddy Ron Ramsey USMC 1972 Dec '16 marineguyNY 1

Painesville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Painesville Mortgages