Pet owner flees after dog bites boy

Pet owner flees after dog bites boy

There are 38 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from Mar 6, 2008, titled Pet owner flees after dog bites boy. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

By Gary T. Kubota [email protected] WAILUKU Animal control investigators are looking for a woman in her 20s whose unleashed dog attacked a child at a beach park on Maui.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
1 quart low

Honolulu, HI

#31 Mar 6, 2008
hey folks, we have enough racial animosity. let all come together and unite as opponents of canine animalsity.
DOG LOVER

Honolulu, HI

#33 Mar 6, 2008
WHY NOT MAKE THE OWNERS OF THE SO CALLED MORE AGGRESSIVE BREEDS PURCHASE INSURANCE COVERAGE IN THE EVENT THEIR DOG BITES SOMEONE OR INJURES ANOTHER ANIMAL. WE NEED TO HAVE MORE OWNERS CHECKED FOR THE REGISTRATION AND VACCINATIONS ON THIER DOGS. IF A DOGS NOT VACCINATED, REGISTERED OR NO INSURANCE IS PURCHASED THEN REMOVE DOG FROM THE OWNER AND AUCTION OR SELL DOG TO FIRST BUYERS. IF IT'S A DANGEROUS DOG INVOLVED IN AN ATTACT THEN PUT IT UNDER.
IF AN OWNER CAN'T AFFORD INSURANCE, VET COST FOR VACCINATIONS OR REGISTRATION FEES THEN..."YOU SHOULDN'T OWN A DOG!"
Calvin

Kailua Kona, HI

#34 Mar 6, 2008
I hope that someday Honolulu would look into reenforcing the no dogs on the beach rule at Kahala and other public beaches. Poop on the sand, fleas,ticks,dog hair in the water and beach that my children and other people have to deal with. Just not healthy, as well as the danger of getting a dog bite. Mahalo, CT
Cabbie808

Addison, IL

#35 Mar 6, 2008
Earl wrote:
I've got to say, I'm getting kind of tired of seeing dogs everywhere, too. What bites me (ha, ha) is the clamor to get dog parks. I don't like the idea of paying for someone else's pets' recreation with my tax dollars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an anti-tax freak or anything - I do understand the need for taxes, and am generally fine with what taxes are used for. But dog parks?
Worse yet is the argument that "we live in a condo" or "we live in a house with no yard" and so "we need a dog park so our pets can run and play." Dude, if your home can't accommodate a dog, DON'T GET ONE!
Well, what are you for with your tax dollars anyway? Sounds like you just dont like dogs. Is there anything else you are against with how your tax dollars are spent?
kehau yu

Wahiawa, HI

#36 Mar 6, 2008
Dogs are man's best friend and usually children who have had dogs as pets become (theoretically) more secure, confident, and responsible. It doesn't seem like this woman had a dog when she was a child. She was irresponsible on 2 counts-bringing the dogs unleashed to the beach and fleeing after biting someone. She needs to be hunted.

Apparently, the 7 yo child was so traumatized he continued crying and screaming for 2 -3 hours. Good thing the dad wasn't my husband. He would've done some damage to that dog and he's a dog lover.

I've been to that particular baby beach once and never went back because of all the unleashed dogs running around with inattentive owners. I was afraid for my young kids. Plus, it seemed so unsanitary because there were so much dog poop intermixed with the sand.

I agree with all those who sai d the owners has to take some responsibility and accountability.
Kaimuki High grad 1973

Fairbanks, AK

#37 Mar 6, 2008
Wow, it's sad to read some of these hateful racist comments! How'd these folks drift so far from the basic topic, which is irresponsible dog owners and their victims, of which there are far too many.

I for one do not like dogs and am not ashamed at all to admit it. I've had more than my fair share of dog bites over the years, and in recent years have had to deal with piles of dog feces in my lovely garden and yard (bear scat too, but that's a different story). Unfortunately, the town in Alaska where I live has a rampant problem with dog owners who disobey leash regulations. I cannot go to my favorite beach or lake on this island without seeing dogs off leash, as well as in my neighborhood. Many of these unleashed dogs have approached me and acted aggressively, sometimes on my own property! If I dare say something to dog owners about the leash law, I'm treated as though I've offended them! It's really bad here in Ketchikan.

It's just wrong that the young boy was bitten and appalling that the owner took off! I hope she turns herself in.

The big question for me these days is what has happened to consideration for others in our society?
Earl

Honolulu, HI

#38 Mar 6, 2008
Cabbie808 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, what are you for with your tax dollars anyway? Sounds like you just dont like dogs. Is there anything else you are against with how your tax dollars are spent?
I don't know why you ask this question, but sure, I'll respond. I'm for using tax money for schools, for regulation of industries that need to be regulated for the public good (health, consumer protection, safety, etc.), taking care of the elderly and those less fortunate, defense, roads and highways, parks and beaches.... A lot of the things government does, I'm all for. I'm not one of these nuts who constantly rails against paying taxes, nor do I speak against democrats and liberals as a bunch of people around here do.

What else DON'T I want tax money spent on? Well, there's a list, but one prominent use off the top of my head is publicly-funded elections. Why the heck would I want my money spent on a political campaign of some guy I might not even support?

Anyway, we're way off topic here, but since you asked....
ezy

Sunnyvale, CA

#39 Mar 6, 2008
They will check to see if the dog has its rabies vacination. The owner of the dog is probably will get sued and loose everything, unless she allows the dog to be put down.
Westsideray

Ewa Beach, HI

#40 Mar 7, 2008
Ban the people from the beach and there will be no people for dogs to bite.
Love Waianae

Ewa Beach, HI

#41 Mar 7, 2008
Some years ago there was a news report that homeowners risk losing their house insurance if they keep vicious dogs. What the article did not cover is how to find out which insurance company covers each address. If there was a hotline established for reporting vicious dogs, a lot of those dogs would disappear overnight, along with their irresponsible owners. Or, they could be homeless with their dog.
Kau Kau

Waianae, HI

#42 Mar 7, 2008
Ah better find the owner and the dog, then call the two guy that use to work at the golf couse, let this two guys take care her dog,
Jerome Kellner

Kapolei, HI

#43 Mar 7, 2008
A ban on dogs on Maui's beach is long, long overdue. At least half the dogs on the beach are unleashed, because the owners know they is no chance they will be cited. It is also time to change to police enforcement of dog laws. The Humane Society is pathetically understaffed and underpowered. Over the past ten years, with the popularity of pit bulls, rottweilers and other dangerous dogs, we need police strictly enforcing animal laws.
Cutchase64

United States

#44 Mar 7, 2008
"Leaving the scene of the bite"-no class wahine.
Chain Dawg

Houston, TX

#45 Mar 7, 2008
right on Kau Kau, one persons vicious dog is another persons dinner.
hemodepantee

Kihei, HI

#46 Mar 7, 2008
The most logical solution seems to be to have all the sub-adolescent humans be leashed and all the canines free to be. That way in any event that a wayard sub-adolescent harrasses a free canine into defending itself, the sub-adolescents paternal or maternal owner can easily yank the leash to discipline the sub-adolescent from harrassing the free canine.
bhuton

AOL

#48 Apr 10, 2008
ever try to swim with your dog while he is leashed
bhuton

AOL

#49 Apr 10, 2008
i saw the kid and he was fine ten minutes after "attack" if thats what you call it. this was not a viscious mauling as it has been made to seem. owner of dog is responsible but it has nothing to do with how ever dog behaves
wild

San Diego, CA

#50 Apr 5, 2009
coward

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Old town Paia 17 hr Fukmi 1
You took down my post? Jan 18 Fukme 1
News If you Like Haiku Stairs, Speak Up (Sep '14) Dec '16 FreeTheStairs 30
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Nov '16 Musikologist 13
News Maui police arrest 3 in drug bust - News (Feb '09) Jun '16 Sativa 15
News Hula competitors avoid iconic flower because of... (Mar '16) Mar '16 DILF 10
News Hawaiian Islands Weather Details & Aloha Paragr... (Feb '16) Feb '16 ben 1

Paia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paia Mortgages