Pet owner flees after dog bites boy

By Gary T. Kubota gkubota@starbulletin.com WAILUKU Animal control investigators are looking for a woman in her 20s whose unleashed dog attacked a child at a beach park on Maui. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tradesman

Honolulu, HI

#1 Mar 6, 2008
That dog owner panicked and is running scared. I think she'll turn herself and the dog in when she realizes what happened because she's human. She knows what will happen to her dog. I believe she feels for that kid who got bitten and is praying the injuries are not serious. I doubted if she is having any sleep tonight. Hey Almighty, may I have your undeserved attention. Please guide this lady to freedom so she can live with herself and move on in her life and heal that kid. Thank you.
Todd II

Long Beach, CA

#2 Mar 6, 2008
After they put the dog to sleep,they should also put the owner to sleep as well.
Going to the dogs

United States

#4 Mar 6, 2008
I like Kauai's law which doesn't allow dogs on county parks for this very reason. Perhaps we should create a law forbidding dogs on public beaches. As commented on Kauai's dog law article, my son was mauled by a dog in a county park (on Oahu). Hooray for Kauai!

“Honor your ancestors”

Since: Feb 08

Kaimuki, Keaukaha/Hilo, Kaupo

#5 Mar 6, 2008
Oh, oh.

Sounds like a few are going to ruin it for the many responsible dog owners.
San Francisco, CA

#7 Mar 6, 2008
ban dogs on baby beach please, last time I was there some dog went and took a dump right next to some kids in the ocean, the owner just let it be, I said to him isnt it nice to swim in crap and he just keep walking. I have 2 dogs but I dont take them to a beach packed with kids.from now on Im taking my camera phone and taking pictures of leash violators on that beach, be warned..
Kapaa

Mililani, HI

#8 Mar 6, 2008
Going to the dogs wrote:
I like Kauai's law which doesn't allow dogs on county parks for this very reason. Perhaps we should create a law forbidding dogs on public beaches. As commented on Kauai's dog law article, my son was mauled by a dog in a county park (on Oahu). Hooray for Kauai!
Kauai is fighting to change the stupid law.There are no stupid dogs ,only stupid owners.
San Francisco, CA

#10 Mar 6, 2008
I was at another popular beach(blackrock) a few weeks back and a young pit bull ran up to my 2 year old that was playing ball and started to jump on him, he was just playing but a 50 pound dog can hurt a 28 pound kid easily, wy wife freaked and started to run over and yell get the dog off my kid, the owner just stood there like a wall for a few minutes then grabbed his dog and said its still a puppy and walked off, wy wife said no matter if its a puppy a pit bull should never be jumping on a toddler, the dude gave here stink eye and mumbles something and walked off, If I would of been the tapout type I would of kick his butt but, im at the beach to relax..
bad dog

Mililani, HI

#11 Mar 6, 2008
bite the hand that feeds the pooch....
A A A

Honolulu, HI

#12 Mar 6, 2008
Hopefully the boy that got attacked will recover and move on with no problems. Of all the dogs out there, only a small minority would attack like that, and that's largely due to bad owners.

However, I am hoping in the back of my mind that this results in a dog ban from beaches. I love dogs and all animals, but there are people nowadays that take it too far. I'm talking about the people who think animals should be treated equal to humans. These people are pathetic. They can't make any human connections, so they latch onto their dogs, and make these animals their "pretend children". They want to take their "pretend children" to the beach & restaurants etc. Sure, the dogs are behaved, having been trained well by the owners. But I just know in the back of my mind what kind of pathetic losers want to take dogs to places like this. Just have a lot of experience with them. Can't make any real human connections, so they glorify their pet dogs beyond belief.
Terri

Sacramento, CA

#13 Mar 6, 2008
Banning dogs from beaches isn't a real answer as dogs elsewhere do bite also. What if it was required for all dogs to wear a muzzle when they are out in the public? No where have I seen this suggestion made, not even in my own state.
Spreck Resident

Kapaa, HI

#14 Mar 6, 2008
It is not "those irresponsible few that ruin it". The great majority of dogs on that beach are off leash every day. The "bomb" finally exploded. No only are they off leash, their owners pay little attention to what the dog is doing except to occaisionally kick some sand over their crap rather than pick it up.

This woman is responsible for the boy's injury and should be held responsible for his medical bills and fined.
not amused

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Mar 6, 2008
Big Okole wrote:
"Jacob, were digging holes in the sand near the breakwater when the dog attacked"
The dog was probably mad because he was afraid someone was going to dig up his bone.
Obviously the big okole from dumbfolf thinks he's funny at the expense of a serious attack on a child. Why post you *ss?
Paul from Wisconsin

De Forest, WI

#16 Mar 6, 2008
This is health issue as well as a sanitation issue and that should place the jurisdication on the health department. The safety issue is yet another concern that should ban dogs in public places that generated above average popularity, like farmer's markets, beaches, playgrounds, gardens etc.
Love Waianae

Aiea, HI

#17 Mar 6, 2008
My wife bears the scars of a vicious Pitt Bull attack but nothing was ever done "because the owner is on welfare and it's not worth it." No arrests were made, no attorney would touch it and the owner and her four vicious dogs simply disappeared into the sunset. Some things in Hawaii boggle the mind.
New from WA

Honolulu, HI

#18 Mar 6, 2008
A lot of interesting comments. From my perspective, as a dog owner, a couple of points: 1. Dog owners must be held accountable for their and their dogs action. 2. No point in having laws or rules if they are not stringently enforced so fining the owner, while a way to catch their attention, will not solve the problem of owner stupidity. 3. Some states require dog owners to have "vicious/dangerous dog" insurance which will do nothing for the victim if they are either dead or mutilated, and then again, who will enforce the law? 4. My answer, while not 100% foolproof because of the foolish owners, is to ban all pit bulls/pitbull mix, doberman pinchers, rotweillers and maybe even their owners from Hawaii. You wouldn't even have to euthanize them, just move them all to some distant island and check back every 5-10 years. I could go on, but what's the sense? The citizens need to speak out, get involved with the issue and then do something.
Cabbie808

Chicago, IL

#19 Mar 6, 2008
So quick to blame the dogs are we? Leave them be, but focus more on the problem at hand which is the irresponsible owner. Banning dogs on beaches will only keep the responsible out, the idiots who have no control over their dogs will still go.
Earl

Honolulu, HI

#20 Mar 6, 2008
I've got to say, I'm getting kind of tired of seeing dogs everywhere, too. What bites me (ha, ha) is the clamor to get dog parks. I don't like the idea of paying for someone else's pets' recreation with my tax dollars. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an anti-tax freak or anything - I do understand the need for taxes, and am generally fine with what taxes are used for. But dog parks?

Worse yet is the argument that "we live in a condo" or "we live in a house with no yard" and so "we need a dog park so our pets can run and play." Dude, if your home can't accommodate a dog, DON'T GET ONE!
tita girl

Pearl City, HI

#21 Mar 6, 2008
HELLOOO PEOPLE... it's not the dog's fault.

it is TOTALLY the responsibility of that girl. she was not taking her responsibility for herself, her dog or her community... so selfish.

this should be a negligent something case - people SHOULD NOT be allowed to leave after an incident like that... that boy was seriously injured!
Makahasurf

Honolulu, HI

#22 Mar 6, 2008
Once again we have non-residents and those newly arrived telling us how things should be done and of course banning pitbulls and rottis came up. Pitbulls are the most popular dog here on Oahu. Rather, ban those coming here and trying to tell us how we should live. Send them to a distant island.
What we need is enforcement of existing rules. Locals, of course, hate to see a child injured and in pain from any source.
makule

Anchorage, AK

#25 Mar 6, 2008
i 2nd that makahasurf...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hawaii homes not among top 10 (Sep '09) Dec 5 Bmused Artwork 4
Monsanto files suit in effort to block Maui's G... Nov '14 Joe Balls 3
If you Like Haiku Stairs, Speak Up Oct '14 Beep Beep 4 29
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... Aug '14 J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug '14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
Paia Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Paia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Paia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Paia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:10 pm PST

NBC Sports 3:10PM