Pattie

United States

#1 Mar 13, 2014
We are tourists here, spending money we saved all year to earn. This afternoon we were at the Safeway store in Kehai. Our friends were waiting at the deli to order when a woman pushed in front of the people in line. My friend coughed into her arm after turning away. This woman glared at her for quite a while. We paid for our items and our friends were told by the deli person to pay at the register. She was very busy. As we were sitting out side eating, this woman in a red thunderbird, license RDBRD backed up to us and asked where we were from. We told her and she said of course we were tourists. Then accused our friend of stealing a 26 cent cup of water. That we should respect her home and go back where we came from. When we leave we will not come back here. Tourism is your main income. When enough people are rude to the tourists we will not come back. Sorry we came here!
Ron Brinkhurst

Honolulu, HI

#2 May 17, 2014
I can totally understand and agree that if you are uncomfortable with the welcome / service, then there are plenty of better locations to spend your hard earned vacation dollars at.

I am currently sitting a beautiful resort in Wailea, the Andaz. It is a wonderful resort with many excellent staff. But, it only takes a few to spoil it for the rest, and we have certainly been confronted with some disappointing and in fact even disturbing conduct both within and outside of the resort.

The worst was today in Paia, when we were stopped on the side of the road near the main intersection and were verbally abused for driving too slowly, with a female.( can't call her a lady) stopping and telling us to get out of her town, that "we hate you tourists" and finally getting out of her car and spitting on our windshield, she looked to be about 50 and obviously not of Hawaiian decent, but a really bizarre situation. She even got back into her vehicle and then out again, to take a picture of our SUV with a final threat to get her "brothers" after us. Sad.

We have a home in Cabo and the service there is beyond anything here on the Islands, as they weed out the bad apples quickly. Anyway, Hawaii is a beautiful and special place and perhaps the need for tourist dollars isn't what t used to be, but sad to see people acting this way, no matter where they are from or what social class they belong. You can't claim to be one with nature without kindness towards all creatures, including fellow humans. Love not hate, and for the women from Paia, you need some anger management.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
If you Like Haiku Stairs, Speak Up 7 hr Joe Balls 6
Do you approve of Gilbert Keith-Agaran as State... Aug 30 J. Eagle 1
Pukalani Music Selection (Sep '12) Aug '14 Musikologist 9
Review: Aloha Gold Buyers LLC Aug '14 Marcus Leighman 1
Hawaii governor seeks to prime budget pump (Dec '07) Aug '14 Yellow Cab Driver 13
How we saved a bundle on a car in Maui by renti... Jun '14 elmar winkler 1
Review: Vishnevska, Nina MD - Nina Vishnevska MD (Mar '10) Jun '14 cat 5
•••
•••

Paia Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Paia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Paia News, Events & Info