Kel

United States

#161 Sep 2, 2010
I'm new in town (moved in from Vegas, but don't hold that against me)... I'm on the far SE side of town and AT&T is telling me there is no service at my house. I'm loathed to go to HughesNet (although they are running a deal for three months and reduced install fees, which is decent)because of the cost. Having read whats been posted here, perhaps biting the bullet and going with Satelite is the only way to keep my sanity?
jjohn

Troy, MI

#162 Sep 3, 2010
wildblue is expensive and they will limit you...keyon on the other hand suxs. Not sure about their new wimax..any comment guys ?????????
jjohn

Troy, MI

#163 Sep 3, 2010
anybody heard anything about this ?$40/month unlimited and you can take it with you, up to 5 users.$150 up front to but the equipment.
http://www.virginmobileusa.com/mobile-broadba...
naw

North Bend, NE

#164 Sep 3, 2010
jjohn wrote:
wildblue is expensive and they will limit you...keyon on the other hand suxs. Not sure about their new wimax..any comment guys ?????????
The main difference I have had with Keyon since they went to wimax is that I don't have my connection changing speeds during the day anymore. I stay at the same speed no matter the time of day now. Still is pretty meh though overall
jjohn

Troy, MI

#165 Sep 3, 2010
naw wrote:
<quoted text>
The main difference I have had with Keyon since they went to wimax is that I don't have my connection changing speeds during the day anymore. I stay at the same speed no matter the time of day now. Still is pretty meh though overall
SO..........bottom line, happier or not ? worth the extra price or not ? I need to do something because this stinks as it is.
naw

North Bend, NE

#166 Sep 3, 2010
jjohn wrote:
<quoted text>
SO..........bottom line, happier or not ? worth the extra price or not ? I need to do something because this stinks as it is.
I am not paying extra as I did not increase the speed they just put me on wimax thats all. I diden't see a point in increasing the speed as I am not playing an mmo anymore. It might be worth it. Regular speed wimax is more stable and that's all I can say for sure
stratmn69

North Bend, NE

#167 Sep 4, 2010

RPR

Since: Aug 10

South El Monte, CA

#168 Sep 4, 2010
Stratmn69, it now says your only 50 miles from the Las Vegas server. Perhaps Keyon is now routing their Wimax through a closer server. Can you do another ping test ( pingtest.net ), please? Thanks!
stratmn69

North Bend, NE

#169 Sep 4, 2010

Since: Oct 08

Black Squirrel City

#170 Sep 4, 2010
OK this is the busy time of day. someone tell me what this means compared to what I'm paying for. I'm paying att for HSIPRO @3.0 mps that is what it tested at the box when checked....did test stratmn69 posted...Down Load 5.36 Up 0.56 Ping 60 in layman terms am I getting screwed.
leenie82

United States

#171 Sep 8, 2010
I just got at&t dsl installed today and it works ok so far, of course its slower than the internet I had in Ca. but slow is better than none if you ask me.
Kel

United States

#172 Sep 8, 2010
Just as an FYI- I talked to Keyon and explained that they would need to convince me to go with them, as they're notorious for being, well, crap. I was told, "The new Wimax server and equipment is dramatically differant than the older and out of date equipment currently being used". I was also assured that I will not pay for installation if the line of sight is not high enough in bandwidth for the the speed I am paying for... they install on the 15th, so stay tuned. It was my only options, with no AT&T service, and satelite wanting waaay too much to even START service, let alone what they charge for a decent speed per month. We shall see.
jjohn

Troy, MI

#173 Sep 9, 2010
One way to look at it is the more that sign up for wimax the less on my tower using old school.
Kel

United States

#174 Sep 9, 2010
jjohn wrote:
One way to look at it is the more that sign up for wimax the less on my tower using old school.
Haha... good point.
stratmn69

North Bend, NE

#175 Sep 10, 2010
don't bother getting 4 g. its fast for maybe 25% of the day. its horrible the rest of the time. It quits working completely for probably 2 hrs everyday total. I constantly get dropped from online games because the service just quits.
Larry Harper

Tarzana, CA

#176 Sep 12, 2010
Don't know what happened sat. my att internet was down for about 2hrs, called them and of course went through their crap and it still did not come back on, then they told me I needed a new modem, so just left the system on and forgot about it. an hour later I noticed the light was solid green, tried the internet and man the speed was back and things have been working great and they said no one was working on internet services in this area they are all up in the reno area...go figure
jjohn

Troy, MI

#177 Sep 13, 2010
Keyon..........

Download Speed: 285 kbps (35.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 465 kbps (58.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 162 ms

SUXS
Jim

Pahrump, NV

#178 Oct 1, 2010
Kel wrote:
I'm new in town (moved in from Vegas, but don't hold that against me)... I'm on the far SE side of town and AT&T is telling me there is no service at my house. I'm loathed to go to HughesNet (although they are running a deal for three months and reduced install fees, which is decent)because of the cost. Having read whats been posted here, perhaps biting the bullet and going with Satelite is the only way to keep my sanity?
We, too, are on he far SE side.(Very close to the Chicken Ranch). We use an ATT air card with a router. Most of the time we get decent speed. Cost is $60 a month with a 5G limit. I'm considering the Virgin Mobile broadband someone else mentioned only because it's unlimited. 5G gets used up pretty quickly if you download TV shows or video. I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who may have tried it. My concern is it only works with Sprint towers of which there are none in Pahrump. Their site does, however, show coverage here.
Jack

United States

#179 Oct 1, 2010
Virgin Mobil MIFi works good. 150 for the modem and 40/ month no contract unlimited internet. Works on nextel and sprint towers. You can run up to 5 computers without even connecting them. Walmart sells the unit and the virgin mobil 40 dollar card.

Since: Oct 08

Black Squirrel City

#180 Oct 2, 2010
well att went to shit again, can't even watch a video off of espn .tried to watch the inquest but it would not run. what are they doing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pahrump Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
blm takeover alert !!!! 1 hr Hellonhiheels 17
POLL: What is the worst thing about Pahrump? 1 hr Hellonhiheels 59
Proposed Closures to Recreational Shooting in L... 2 hr bullseye 1
Lopez rant shows how she does not get Pahrump 17 hr Bob 15
Pahrump Music Forum (Dec '12) 17 hr Musikologist 22
pahrump road detardment 19 hr or else youll get it 13
Integrity Taxi (Oct '13) 19 hr everybody must ge... 44
Pahrump Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web