broadband internet in Pahrump?
MBenson

Pahrump, NV

#181 Oct 2, 2010
I get well over 1 MB/sec with Air Internet almost all the time -- during low traffic periods it is running on the order of 2.5 MB/sec. Also very important: Air Internet is VERY secure -- none of the others can claim that....
Kel

Grand Rapids, MI

#182 Oct 4, 2010
Ok, after a false start with AT&T DSL (they processed my order and never told me they didn't offer service in that area- despite the area map). I cancelled my order with Keyon (couldn't take the chance!) and went with the Virgin Mobile USB connection. Works great... really happy. With no contract and unlimited use for $40 a month and the equipment is available at Walmart.. it was the best option by far! Thanks for the suggestion Jack!

RPR

Since: Aug 10

Canoga Park, CA

#183 Oct 4, 2010
ATT DSL has been pretty bad as of late for me as well. During peak hours, or when a lot of people are on (4 p.m. to 11 p.m.), the connection gets very laggy and watching videos can become impossible.

The problem is not so much what ATT is doing but what they are not doing. They are simply not supplying enough bandwidth for the network. They keep adding customers, yes, but not the bandwidth to support them. So as more and more people sign up the network gets even more congested and unusable.

I was told a month ago by an ATT field tech that they understand the problem and more bandwidth was to be added September 1st. Well this never materialized and now on October 1st the unstable service has remained the same or got worse.

ATT needs to add more bandwidth ASAP. They understand they need to but are too cheap to do so. Perhaps if enough people complained and threatened cancellation they would act responsibly.
Jack

United States

#184 Oct 4, 2010
Your Welcome

RPR

Since: Aug 10

Canoga Park, CA

#185 Oct 4, 2010
MBenson:

Can you please post results from a speed test and ping test? www.speedtest.net and www.pingtest.net are good ones to use. When I had Air-Internet from 04 to 07 the service was lacking; download speeds were very low and it was quite laggy. Perhaps it improved. As such, results from the aforementioned tests would be helpful.
Chase

Valley, NE

#186 Oct 11, 2010
the new wimax keyon provides is great! i get 2-5mbps continuously, the only shortfall is that you have to reset the connection every sunday. but it's a hell of alot better then ezznet
Chase Errett

Valley, NE

#187 Oct 11, 2010
http://www.speedtest.net/result/986758394.png this is my speed test
http://www.pingtest.net/result/25863745.png
this is my ping test. and i'm willing to bet nobody except cable can beat that.
And no I'm not from il. i live in pahrump.
regli

Las Vegas, NV

#188 Nov 3, 2010
I tried to investigate if AT&T is working on getting the North side up. I wasn't very successful. It seems that the Bell Vista/Simkins area is covered but I was surprised to find that the Country Place area has no availability.
I'm hoping that the reason is that their main pipe needs to be upgraded first. I loved AT&T during their WIMAX era.
Is CMA the best choice as an alternative? I had Air Internet and don't want to touch them again.
Thanks for your input.
KeyOFF hater

Omaha, NE

#189 Nov 3, 2010
Here's a tip for those of you with decent 3G speed on your PDA type cellphones. If you have an unlimited data plan, you can download this app, PdaNet at http://junefabrics.com/
It's available for everything from iPhone to Android to Crackberry to Windows mobile. I've used it for years when I traveled and when I had crappy connectivity with Keyon or Air InterNOT.

It costs a one time payment of $15.95 and will tether your phone to your PC. The program is very stable and really saved my butt recently in New York. I uploaded websites and even used Skype video through my phone with decent, if a little grainy results.

When I've used it in 4G cities with my EVO, I've gotten download speeds up to 9.3 Mb/s according to speedtest.net , so I know the app delivers really well. That's better than the 5 to 6 Mb/s I get with ATT DSL. There is also an app called Easytether, but I can't vouch for it since I haven't used it.

More options for you. Hope it helps.
regli

Las Vegas, NV

#190 Nov 5, 2010
Thanks for the additional info, KeyOFF.

I'm still wondering if thee isn't local contact within AT&T that could give us a few pointers as to what their strategy is in the Valley.
Keyon user

United States

#191 Nov 20, 2010
We have installed the new Keyon Wimax internet, but have lost the signal and had to perform a power reboot daily. Has anyone else experienced this frequency of failures
KeyOFF hater

Page, AZ

#192 Nov 21, 2010
Just an update.
@ regli Thanks! I know some AT&T folks here in Pahrump, and they can't even find out where AT&T is turning on DSL next.:(

Like I said, I recently used PdaNet to tether my Android phone when I was working in New York. Mind you, this was before Sprint turned on 4G there, so this was using 3G like we have here in our valley.
I was easily able to use Skype to video chat with my family, the picture was a little grainy, but perfectly usable.

My point is, don't let these KeyOFF and Air-InterNOT bastards screw you over anymore. If you have a PDA phone with unlimited data, download PdaNet and USE IT!
Pahrump Residence

United States

#193 Nov 26, 2010
CMA Communications (Cable Company) has the best internet in Pahrump that I have seen they are fast and local so if it does break you can go to the main office or call the local office and get a tech out there in minutes aside waiting for a hot shot from vegas. they are very fast and very professional

Since: Oct 08

Black Squirrel City

#194 Nov 26, 2010
You must work for them...go back and read some of the comments.
KeyOFF hater

Fenton, MO

#195 Nov 26, 2010
@ Larry Harper
Sounds like a CMA stooge to me too.
Name

Valley, NE

#196 Dec 3, 2010
how much is the wimax keyon per month?
Name

Valley, NE

#197 Dec 3, 2010
also, i got the 35$ thingy from keyon right now. It was great over the summer, no joke. Then a stupid plumber "accidentally" f*ck'd it up so i had to call in fix. Got it fixed this afternoon and its horrible now 7XX ping/1.2mbps download/i dont care about the upload.

Im gonna upgrade to either wimax keyon or the best at&t can offer. I need some feedback on this like download speed/ping and price comparisons please and thank you.
Cynthia

United States

#198 Dec 19, 2010
Just picked up a Virgin Mobile USB connection for the $40. per mo.(unlimited use) through Walmart. It runs 3.1 Mbps all the time. I am on the south side, Pahrump Valley Blvd. and Gamebird. After reading all of the unhappy services, I guess I am going to keep this service. Why does Pahrump have to have so many internet issues ? Wish someone would provide a GREAT service here !
Cynthia

United States

#199 Dec 19, 2010
Fresno ????? I am in Pahrump....LOL
Cynthia

United States

#200 Dec 19, 2010
By the way, the USB connector is only $79. now....not $150. You have 30 days to try it. Return it if you don't like it. The $40. card is not refundable, because you will be using that to access. It is 3G too !

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pahrump Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Champion's stories 4 hr Grandms Gunpowder 12
VEA Scammed you all.. NO CHECK for AGES 5 hr i want my vea check 15
Yet another dangerous wreck at the race track 6 hr nimby 7
Take note of any business closed today 6 hr Cheif Crazy Horse 16
Eric Holder and Anthony Wiener are forming 14 hr JILL 1
I TOLD YOU SO.. Water control freaks saying "Dr... Sat ooda Loop 6
No water, not enough population but... Sat One who knows 13

Pahrump Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance