Comments
1 - 20 of 1,596 Comments Last updated Sunday Aug 3
First Prev
of 80
Next Last
Patrick

Las Vegas, NV

#1 Mar 7, 2006
So, I've noticed that this is mostly an anti-police forum. I've heard stories about police corruption in the Las Vegas area, but never specifics.

Does anyone have any specific story that really shows that police are bad? I would love to hear it.
John

Ely, NV

#2 Mar 7, 2006
Hi Patrick, I guess the forum ebbs and flows with the news of the day. I don't think you could find one story that shows all police are bad. Most of them are pretty good people that make mistakes like anyone else. I am a lawyer in Nevada, and I have worked with and against many cops here. The overwhelming majority are trying to do the right thing. Second guessing their work without having all the facts is never a good idea. Before you zero in on one story that shows all cops are bad, how many lives do they save in one day? One bad one can pollute 100 good ones, and that is just not fair any way you slice it.
Patrick

Las Vegas, NV

#3 Mar 7, 2006
Thanks John,

I agree and of course, not all cops are bad. I never thought that to be the case.

I have to say that everywhere I have lived there was talk of police corruption, but it has never been as strong as here in the Las Vegas area. I just was interested in hearing some of the stories.

I bet you that cops don't get into the business to become corrupt, but it happens after dealing with people that are less than kind. I don't know. I wish there was a police officer online to discuss this too.
John

Ely, NV

#4 Mar 7, 2006
Hi again Patrick,
type police or law enforcement chat into your search engine. You may find a good room. Good Luck.
Patrick

Las Vegas, NV

#5 Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for the tip.
MPs

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#6 Mar 8, 2006
To all who value American Freedoms, this is not about being anti-police. Itís about alerting the public to a series of recorded facts that show Nevada police to be over abusive and violent compared to other US cities. The records show little or no leadership to control the abusive, overzealous, gun happy, motorist harassing, violent police, found in Henderson and Las Vegas Nevada. Itís about their records on file, which indicates excessive abuse towards resident, families, children, elderly and visitors to the valley. Itís about abuse of power and authority by terrorist hiding behind the badge. Donít kid your self, it doesnít take rocket science to see it, read or hear about police abuse in this area. As a five year resident and victim of petty police harassment, it becomes quickly evident, that the police are systematically abusing the general public and the leadership has failed to control it. Itís so bad that residents are selling out and a newly hired Henderson Chief of Police has quit. Itís their record of abuse and cover-ups that should be sounding alarms in everyoneís head. Itís about police abuse and the violation of every US Americanís Constitutional rights and civil liberties. The police have established that they cannot be trusted. The Proof is a matter of public record. Be aware and protect your families from the police in Nevada.
ACLU

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#7 Mar 8, 2006
Woman Cited For Feeding Too Many Homeless
Proof of more Nevada police and court abuse.
(KVVU)-- A good deed has landed a valley woman in court.
Gail Sacco was cited and banned from downtown's Circle Park for six months for feeding too many homeless people.
According to park rules, it's against the law for a group of 25 people or more to gather without a permit.
Gail Sacco claims she was unfairly cited for trying to help the homeless.
Las Vegas city attorney Brad Jerbic tells FOX5 that the city isn't against homelessness. He says the park is too small for large groups and that they have received complaints from businesses about the daily gatherings.
Allen Litchtenstein, local attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, argues the ordinance is flawed. Under the city's rules, you can't even get a permit for that particular park. According to the city's web site, permits are only available in 14 of the city's 63 parks. "People have a right to food. It's not a privilege. It's a right and people have the right to share food," said Gail Sacco. Sacco makes her first court appearance in two weeks. She plans to fight the citation, which carries a possible penalty of either six months in jail or $1,000 fine.
The ACLU says they will represent her if this goes into litigation.
Patrick

Las Vegas, NV

#8 Mar 8, 2006
The above example really doesn't show police abuse, but rather an abusive, outdated law.

I know that the records show abuse, but I also know that Las Vegas is home to a bunch of sue-happy people. It is possible that there are simply more reports of abuse rather than there actually being a lot of abuse.

This makes me sound really pro-police, but I'm not. I'm pro-truth. That's why I wanted to hear specific examples.
John

Ely, NV

#9 Mar 8, 2006
There is nothing wrong with being pro police Patrick. Of course there have been abuses and more importantly perceived abuses which tarnish the reputation of a necessary institution. One cannot say, without making some incredible assumptions, that no police can be trusted. The case cited by MP is a good example of an officer probably not using his head. There is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law, and you have to draw a distinction between the two. You can't stop someone for doing 2 over the limit. On the same token, many situations are perceived by the citizens to be abusive or wrong, when they may not be. Law enforcement people are held to a higher standard of conduct on and off duty. That is the way it should be. I have represented clients who claimed the officer was abusive, but were made out to be liars by a video or independent witnesses. In this day and age, the mere accusation is good enough for most people to condemn the cops. One person's idea of harassment may be a simple disagreement that was not handled properly. As an attorney who has "gone against" law enforcement in the past, I can tell you that most are good people. There are those who are just bad people and bad cops. They ruin it for the good ones who are trying to do the right thing, and it's really too bad. You will find that the cops in the rural areas are usually much easier to deal with than ones in the city. NHP does a good job of screening their rural troopers, and most have a college degree. Henderson, Vegas, and any big city have thousands of officers, and some are bound to be bad apples. What I am saying is judge an officer based upon his actions, not those of others who just happen to be cops.
REX

United States

#10 Mar 9, 2006
Patrick wrote:
So, I've noticed that this is mostly an anti-police forum. I've heard stories about police corruption in the Las Vegas area, but never specifics.

Does anyone have any specific story that really shows that police are bad? I would love to hear it.
I don't think it has intentionally become an anti-police forum.
It has stemmed from an incident involving a Nevada trooper who caused a fatal car wreck. I believe 4 people were killed. The public has ben outraged at the perceived special treatment afforded the officer. It has since kicked off a kind of pro-cop or anti-cop type of banter. I would be a few on line searches and see what you come up with and see what you think. Some think there is no problem with the police and others think there's a big problem. However, I must agree with MPs take on law enforcement in the Las Vegas area.
They've got big problems.
dan

United States

#11 Mar 11, 2006
Patrick wrote:

I dont know about Las Vages but in Arkansas their getting down right trigger happy. State cops shot and killed a 21 yo man who had the mind of a 6yo while laying on the ground after obeying a command to do so. He moved his hands! Is this all it takes in Arkansas to be shot buy a 12 gauge shotgun buy a cop, moving your hands... If you value your life dont confront State Police in Arkansas.
College Degree

Las Vegas, NV

#12 Mar 11, 2006
ACLU wrote:
Woman Cited For Feeding Too Many Homeless
Proof of more Nevada police and court abuse.
(KVVU)-- A good deed has landed a valley woman in court.
Gail Sacco was cited and banned from downtown's Circle Park for six months for feeding too many homeless people.
According to park rules, it's against the law for a group of 25 people or more to gather without a permit.
Gail Sacco claims she was unfairly cited for trying to help the homeless.
Las Vegas city attorney Brad Jerbic tells FOX5 that the city isn't against homelessness. He says the park is too small for large groups and that they have received complaints from businesses about the daily gatherings.
Allen Litchtenstein, local attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, argues the ordinance is flawed. Under the city's rules, you can't even get a permit for that particular park. According to the city's web site, permits are only available in 14 of the city's 63 parks. "People have a right to food. It's not a privilege. It's a right and people have the right to share food," said Gail Sacco. Sacco makes her first court appearance in two weeks. She plans to fight the citation, which carries a possible penalty of either six months in jail or $1,000 fine.
The ACLU says they will represent her if this goes into litigation.
That's what is wrong with this Country, we can't even feed the needy/hungry without getting punished. SO SO SAD!!!!!!! Where has the compasion gone? God help us all!
Jack

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#13 Mar 13, 2006
LAS VEGAS (AP)-- A Nevada Highway Patrol trooper was driving at least 119 miles per hour before his patrol cruiser slammed into another car last month, according to the trooper's lawyer.

Four people were killed and a pregnant teen was injured in the crash.

Trooper Joshua Corcran has not spoken with police detectives investigating the wreck on Interstate 15.

Corcran's lawyer, Steve Wolfson, says a thorough investigation should show that the crash was a tragic accident, not a criminal act.

Police have said Corcran's patrol car did not have its emergency lights and siren activated when it crashed.

One person in the car survived. Sixteen-year-old Cecilia Lopez Cruz, now four months pregnant, was released from a Las Vegas hospital on Wednesday.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Is this police abuse and corruption? Why hasn't the cops been jailed? In Henderson the cops can do what ever they want and get away with it. So whats wron with this picture? Is it a METRO cover-up, protecting another bad cop?

Now you know why we cannot trust the police.
John

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#14 Mar 13, 2006
More police abuse?. Could the police have handled it differently or is murder the only way to solve this latest case in Nevada?

LAS VEGAS (AP)-- Las Vegas police say they shot and killed a man last night who supposedly threatened officers with kitchen knives.

Police say the shooting happened when officers responded to a domestic violence call, a little after midnight at the residents home.

An officer fired twice, killing and taking the life of the 43-year-old man after police claimed he lunged toward an officer with a kitchen knife in each hand.

The woman who called police told investigators her boyfriend was bi-polar and had suicidal tendencies. Someone that needed special care and handling.

The officer who killed the resident is a six-year veteran of the department. He's on paid administrative leave -- and his name won't be released until Wednesday.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Out of control police who doesnít know how to help the mental ?
Shoot first, then shoot again, and then when everyone is dead, try to ask a question or offer some sort of medical assistance to those who need it. Not in Las Vegas. Not in Henderson. You decide.
Nevada1

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#15 Mar 14, 2006
The officer who killed the 43 year old resident has been with the Metropolitan Police Department for six years, police said. Yet, to date the officer's name hasn't been released. The department policy is to give the cop a paid vacation or as they call it put on administrative leave with pay while they find ways to cover up the abuse.

The 43 year old Mr Jackman was the fifth person killed by Las Vegas police this year.

Santana Baca, a 46-year-old fugitive from New Mexico, was shot and killed by police Jan. 2 outside the Lowe's store at 2875 E. Charleston Blvd., near Fremont Street, after he was first shot with a stun gun and then allegedly pulled a pistol from his waistband during a struggle with police.

That same day, police shot and killed 47-year-old Edgar Doubleday of Las Vegas, who opened fire on officers near Rochelle Avenue and Mountain Vista Street, where they were investigating a claim by a woman who said someone was stalking her outside her home and waving a gun.

On Feb. 1, on Feather Duster Court, near Durango Drive and Patrick Lane, police killed 21-year-old Amir Rashid Crump during a gun battle after Crump shot and killed Las Vegas police Sgt. Henry Prendes, 37, who was responding to a domestic disturbance call.

Then, on Feb. 9, police shot and killed Christopher Scott Hawkins, 32, at an apartment complex on Owens Avenue, near Eastern Avenue, after a gun battle and standoff in which Hawkins fired 40 shots at police and they fired 605 rounds. Hawkins opened fire after police responded to a complaint of marijuana smoke in the Woodridge Villas apartment complex.

Coroner's inquests concluded that police were justified in killing Baca and Doubleday. The inquest regarding Crump's slaying is to begin on Thursday, and the inquest regarding the shootings of Hawkins and Jackman will take place in the weeks thereafter.

And so the murder and killings by police goes on, with no regard for due process or Constitutional rights. What ever happened to America? Nevada is a "Police State" just like in NAZI Germany WWII.

What a sad day for Americans.
pSyCho jOe

Las Vegas, NV

#16 Mar 23, 2006
That all depends on what your definition of "is"-is.

I was hit in an car accident where it was the other party's fault (driving straight where they should have been turning) and the other party admitted it to me and when I told this to the officer he alleged I couldn't prove it even though it came from the other party's lips and he gave me a ticket for negligence. As I need information from the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police to defend my case in court, the Public Information Office refused to provide me the info on the sole basis that I can't use it to defent myself in court. I don't udnerstand the concept of public information being withheld for my purpose, but people are teling me I have to lie to the police to get the information I want.

I am an honest, law-adibing citizen with no reason to lie. I have the truth on my side and it would be corrupt for the police to withhold information citing my reasons aren't good enough. I thought "To protect and serve" included protecting and serving me, but apparently not.

I wonder what the police's "Anti-Citizen" forum looks like.
HDPD

Henderson, NV

#17 Mar 24, 2006
Joe Get a lawyer
HDPD

Henderson, NV

#18 Mar 24, 2006
Nevada1 wrote:
The officer who killed the 43 year old resident has been with the Metropolitan Police Department for six years, police said. Yet, to date the officer's name hasn't been released. The department policy is to give the cop a paid vacation or as they call it put on administrative leave with pay while they find ways to cover up the abuse.

The 43 year old Mr Jackman was the fifth person killed by Las Vegas police this year.

Santana Baca, a 46-year-old fugitive from New Mexico, was shot and killed by police Jan. 2 outside the Lowe's store at 2875 E. Charleston Blvd., near Fremont Street, after he was first shot with a stun gun and then allegedly pulled a pistol from his waistband during a struggle with police.

That same day, police shot and killed 47-year-old Edgar Doubleday of Las Vegas, who opened fire on officers near Rochelle Avenue and Mountain Vista Street, where they were investigating a claim by a woman who said someone was stalking her outside her home and waving a gun.

On Feb. 1, on Feather Duster Court, near Durango Drive and Patrick Lane, police killed 21-year-old Amir Rashid Crump during a gun battle after Crump shot and killed Las Vegas police Sgt. Henry Prendes, 37, who was responding to a domestic disturbance call.

Then, on Feb. 9, police shot and killed Christopher Scott Hawkins, 32, at an apartment complex on Owens Avenue, near Eastern Avenue, after a gun battle and standoff in which Hawkins fired 40 shots at police and they fired 605 rounds. Hawkins opened fire after police responded to a complaint of marijuana smoke in the Woodridge Villas apartment complex.

Coroner's inquests concluded that police were justified in killing Baca and Doubleday. The inquest regarding Crump's slaying is to begin on Thursday, and the inquest regarding the shootings of Hawkins and Jackman will take place in the weeks thereafter.

And so the murder and killings by police goes on, with no regard for due process or Constitutional rights. What ever happened to America? Nevada is a "Police State" just like in NAZI Germany WWII.

What a sad day for Americans.
IM NOT SAYING CORRUPTION DOESNT EXIST.

But from the cases you posted. What do you recommend the officers do when being fired upon (esp with one officer already down) or faced with a barricaded or non compliant suspect with a deadly weapon??? Blow kisses?? Its very different when your the one thats underfire...

Geez!! Im one not to post on boards and now I can see why.
sst

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#19 Mar 27, 2006
Yah! You must be one of them or someone who hasnít been pulled over and abused yet.
The Henderson cops need to learn how to communicate with the population.
Thatís priority one and then practice restraint.
Thatís restraint, in case you didn't get it.
Most police abuse cases happen, because of a trigger happy cop that just had to shoot first and cause a gun battle before negotiators could arrive. History demands caution and self defense on the part of every US citizen when dealing with cops based on their past failures to control themselves. Lack of police trust in the community will spread like cancer before they wake up and smell the coffee. Further based on police records, Henderson is in for a rude awakening.
REX

United States

#20 Mar 27, 2006
I keep hearing about Henderson PD in particular as being a top offender in corruption/brutality etc..

How about NLVPD? Any other info on them?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 80
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pahrump Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
drug test 10 min Sgt Horn 4
Here we go, People are changing sides in the as... 42 min Genuwine 9
Sharon Wehrly, Serial Debate Canceler. 51 min MyBog 7
Deanna O'Donnell 1 hr Equal 10
Holiday Inn Express: Brickwalled. 1 hr WeAlwaysKnow 5
Channel 46 News what a joke (Jun '13) 3 hr billiary clitorus 68
Ronda Van Winkle and Channel 46 have sunk to a ... (Jun '12) 18 hr Deanna 47
•••

Fire Warning for Nye County was issued at August 29 at 9:45AM PDT

•••