Nye Co. teen held in rifle slaying of girl

Full story: Reno Gazette-Journal

PAHRUMP, Nev. -- A 15-year-old boy has been jailed and could face adult criminal charges for shooting and killing an 18-year-old Nye County woman while handling a rifle at a Nye County home, police said.
Comments
21 - 40 of 108 Comments Last updated Aug 27, 2012
Unkown

West Hollywood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2006

Sally Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you there? Did you see it happen? Do you have kids?
Its no accident when you shoot someone, if you dont point a gun at someone you wont kill them. This was no accident.
Virginia wright

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2006

Ronya was a very good person she was the kind of girl who did everything for everybody if she could..we will all miss her smile and that funny little laugh that she had. but hopefully we all know that you are in a good place..and i will keep kelly and kevin ruckle in my prayers..
RIP RONYA

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2007

Honestly i think lee should be charged with murder. he Shouldnt of been playing with the gun in the first place i have no sympathy for him. he was the idiot to begin with. ronya was a girl that i hung out with all the time we had so much fun together. she was my P.E. T.a for 3 years. and we had always gotten along. she was the best person to be friends with and its really sad to know she was only 18 and she is gone. she might be in a better place now but something needs to be done. its not right that she doesnt get to live the rest of her life anymore cuase some one decided they were going to ACCIDENTLY shoot her. no thats not fair. he should be sent away for life. maybe then he will learn his lessons and so will everyone else in pahrump. Also I think the provenzas should be Prosecuted to. what Were they doing with a loaded gun with out adult supervision and with out it being locked up. thats all ihave to say
nicole falcone las vegas

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2007

ronya was one of my best friends... she was loved by many.. lee should be charged as a adult and get a life sentence like most murder cases get accedant or not. its still murder no matter wat way u put it.. thats bullshit that the cops arent doin shit for the family taht loves her ooh soo much anf her friends we all wnat to see jsutice for the gurl taht was one of my bestfreinds and that i loved soo much.. well for the cops part they need to kiss my ass and do something for this sweet gurl well ronya i lvoe yaa nd miss more each day well ill see i soon
KELLY - RONYAS MOTHER

Pahrump, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2007

I just want everyone to know that no one in our family wrote this posting I am commenting on. We DO thank everyone who helped with Ronya's memorial, and are very happy that so many of Ronya's friends and loved ones were able to attend. HOWEVER, we DO NOT extend any special thank's to Sherriff DeMeo, who we feel simply took advantage of Ronya's memorial as a publicity stunt in an election year, and who's office has DONE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING - actually WORSE than nothing - by way of investigating Ronya's death and seeing to it that those responsible are identified and held accountable. NOTHING. It has been 8 months since Ronya was MURDERED, no charges have been filed against anyone, and it doesn't appear as if any are going to be. The District attorney's office has so far been able to do nothing toward prosecuting this, and NOTHING has been done to provide JUSTICE FOR RONYA, NOTHING AT ALL! THIS WAS NEVER INVESTIGATED OR LOOKED INTO EVEN IN THE MOST BASIC MANNER BY THE NYE COUNTY SHERRIFF... It is WRONG!!!!! So please, although we are very greatful to all of the people who have poured out love and concern for Ronya and support for our family; we are very offended that someone would take it upon themselves to extend "special thanks" as if it came from us; to the Nye County Sherriff. I know that I must sound a terrible "B--ch", and I only wish I could tell you how horribly wrong this entire thing is, and how terribly Ronya's death has been mishandled and neglected, and the appalling way I have been treated by the Sherriff's department regarding this. We now have every reason to believe this matter has been mishandled and neglected on purpose to protect special friends of the "County", on top of it. It is truly appalling!
Remembering Ronya wrote:
I want to send out a great thanks to Pahrump, all of those
who made this celebration possible.
This incident is one that should have never, ever happened
to anyone and we all need to make sure that it will NEVER
happen again.
I also want to put out a special thank you to
Sherrif Demeo who attended.
John Wayne

Socorro, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2007

That kid need permanent scars on his tender 15 year old rear from the repeated poundings he'll get from "Bubba" in prison for the next twenty years.
lolwut

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2007

you're all gay
KELLY - RONYAS MOTHER

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2007

Remembering Ronya wrote:
I want to send out a great thanks to Pahrump, all of those
who made this celebration possible.
This incident is one that should have never, ever happened
to anyone and we all need to make sure that it will NEVER
happen again.
I also want to put out a special thank you to
Sherrif Demeo who attended.
I JUST WANT EVERYONE TO KNOW THAT NO ONE CLOSE TO RONYA OR HER FAMILY WROTE THIS... WHILE WE DO SHARE THE SENTIMENTS OF THANKS FOR RONYA'S FRIENDS AND LOVED ONES WHO ATTENDED... WE WERE DISTRESSED AND APPALLED BY SHERRIFF DEMEO'S TACTLESS BEHAVIOR AT HER MEMORIAL, AIMED SOLELY AT USING HER DEATH IN FURTHERING HIS ELECTION CAMPAIGN. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ON HIM AND ON YOU, WHOMEVER YOU ARE TO THANK HIM FOR SUCH AN OUTRAGE ON OUR BEHALF.

THERE WILL BE FURTHER INFORMATION POSTED WHEN I HAVE GOTTEN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE NYE COUNTY SHERRIFF'S DEPARTMENT'S ACTIONS REGARDING RONYA'S DEATH... SO FAR THEY DON'T APPEAR VERY HONORABLE.
Patti

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2008

All this time and still no answer for our family...what is being hidden? What is being done? NOTHING????? WHY???? Because one family has money...to cover things up, have you forgotten this young lady???? It sure seems the authorities forgot all about this...our family has not.
wheels 10 year resident

Pahrump, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2008

The stooge in charge of the NYE county sheriff's will do anything to make this dissapear. The provenza family has money and are part of the good old boy network. I guess living in a small town has more disadvantages than advantages. If you murder someone you can go free and get sent home to think about the advantages of knowing millionaires. I figure that is why Joey Provenza friend of the murder parents are owners of the house the murder was committed in, has been arrested on kidnapping charges, posession of drugs for sale, assault, dui, and "WOW" he is still free. NYE COUNTY sheriff's office at work what a joke.
Ashlibashliboo

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2008

Ronya was one of my best friends and I'm still can't believe that idiotic boy did that.
Ann

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

I knew her very well. She was like daughter to me. Ronya was A GREAT PERSON. I do have kids and I would want Justice for them and For Ronya!!!!!
Sally Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you there? Did you see it happen? Do you have kids?
zdayyyz

Pahrump, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2008

HMMMM dropped the ball?(or Paid Off?)

The District Attorney is the one who
Obviously dropped the ball on this whole situation.

The almighty $$ would influence someone who would
be in a high authority job for as many years as both the D.A. has been in office
and the "Family" (where this horrible injustice occurred) have been in this town.

There is a lot of cover-up going on here.
Nye County, Wake up and smell the coffee,
Not all of us living here believe that this will be pushed aside as An accident!
We've been around long enough to know what the family and the D.A. Are all about.

Lets see, 15 year old plays with gun shoots and kills...
Not his gun, NO, it belonged to someone who has been in and out of trouble for years,
How funny this happened while in suit with different organizations because of his
Own accident...why accept the blame when you can pay some one off who is 15
And who would not be charged as an adult....
Let alone all the other instances many of the friends that loved and cherished
Ronya know, which also has been ignored by the Sheriff's Dept and D.A.'s office.
My heart still aches every day as I walk past her graduation picture on my wall....
And I see what these people are getting away with....
Where is the justice?

It's not here in NYE COUNTY....

But it is election year Time to get the Good ole' boys out of office!!!!!
I Love you Ronya and I will fight and fight 'till we do get justice for you!!!

Dayyyz
KELLY- RONYAS MOM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2008

I tried to post a very important comment 2 days ago; regarding what has TRULY been going on with the Nye County Sheriff's Department and District Attorney's office regarding their lack of investigation into Ronya's death... it has not appeared yet.
Just testing to see if I can post this much shorter comment.
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR CARING... IT IS SO IMPORTANT THAT THERE BE JUSTICE FOR RONYA... BUT THIS AFFECTS ALL OF US HERE... DO ONLY A FEW FAMILIES IN PAHRUMP AND NYE COUNTY PAY FOR JUSTICE, AND THE REST OF US ARE JUST FAIR GAME? WE SHOULD ALL BE CONCERNED IF THAT IS THE CASE! WHO WILL BE NEXT????
KELLY- RONYAS MOM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2008

OKAY! Well, it appears I typed for 10 minutes a few days ago and didn't do something right, because the comment never showed up. It was probably too lengthy.
THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL WHO ARE CONCERNED ABOUT JUSTICE FOR RONYA (OR THE LACK THEREOF).
They call this place "The Kingdom of Nye"; unfortunately that appears to be closer to the truth than should be allowed in these United States of America, under our great Constitution! We appear to not only live where there is a "ruling family," but we appear to be at the mercy of "the sheriff of rottingham!" (and all of his accomplices at various levels of local govornment; including the district attorny's office).

LET ME ASSURE YOU... NOT ONLY DID THE NYE COUNTY SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT NOT INVESTIGATE RONYA'S DEATH AT ALL; THEY ARE PERSECUTING MY FAMILY FOR CONTINUING TO INSIST THAT SOMETHING IS NOT RIGHT.

It is a long story (obviously; it has been over two years since Ronya was shot through the right eye socket from 12 inches away with a high powered rifle -9mm bullet- "ACCIDENTALLY"). By the way... Mr. Don White wrote a letter to the editor long ago asking why there had been no developments regarding Ronya's death... the paper SEVERELY EDITED his letter; and printed a reply from the District Attorney that was an outright lie. Claiming they had been working all along closely with Ronya's family to resolve this case. At that point we realized the local paper also worked for the Kingdom of Nye's royal family, and ceased to imagine any truth could be forwarded to the public through that venue. I NEVER REALIZED THIS VENUE WAS STILL BEING USED BY SOME OF YOU WHO CARE... THANKS!!! I WILL TRY TO USE IT TO LET YOU KNOW WHAT'S REALLY BEEN GOING ON!
KELLY- RONYAS MOM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2008

lolwut wrote:
you're all gay

Since the author of this eloquent contribution to the VERY SERIOUS MATTER CONCERNING THE MURDER OF MY BEAUTIFUL AND INNOCENT 18 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER declined to identify themselves... let me enlighten those of you readers who don't know:
This is one of Lee Tackett's close personal friends from Downey California where he used to live, and before deleting his MySpace account Lee kept in contact with them on that site (I'm sure he has a new account now). I believe this may actually even be the person who posted this lovely comment to Lee shortly after Ronya's murder, on myspace: "I hear u shot some bitch." These juvenile delinquents (and that is a highly complementary term to apply to them by any normal and reasonable person who would have happened to read their correspondence on MySpace) and their ilk and the attitudes of all of them are the reason that innocent people like Ronya end up dead every day. They actually think it is some kind of joke to point firearms at people, and seem to think it is "cool" (to use what I am sure is an archaic juvenile term) to shoot and kill innocent young girls, and that it would be wrong for Lee Tackett to be punished... and that he is being horribly treated by anyone who responds negatively to his murder of Ronya. Most of today's youth present a sad and pitiful future for the world; hopefully there are still enough young people who are not of this type, and are not as malicious and ignorant as this person, to give us some hope for tomorrow!

If more of you young people would get off MySpace and worry about how you are affecting the future of the real world and the future of your own offspring (perish the thought of any of you actually reproducing... but that's a given from what I have seen of your type) it would be for the greater good, rest assured!
KELLY- RONYAS MOM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2008

I WILL BEGIN THE ACCOUNT OF EVENTS SURROUNDING RONYA'S MURDER:

Joey Provenza met Ronya because he was in the vehicle with a former friend of Ronya's sister and they saw her while she was at a gas station on graduation night. He was infatuated with her, and requested her phone number - she gave it to him because he is disfigured and she is soft hearted and, knowing nothing about what he is like personality wise, felt sorry for him.

Joey pursued Ronya's attentions from that point on, calling her many times a day and under the guise of their "friendship" began taking advantage of her soft heart and good nature that made her reluctant to shun him rudely, even though he began to make unwanted physical advances and sexual comments that began to make her quite uncomfortable; but which she told me "she could handle."

Joey finally got too "forward" and Ronya had to tell him off very forcefully... TWO DAYS PRIOR TO HER SHOOTING DEATH IN HIS BEDROOM BY HIS RIFLE.

That same evening that Ronya was forced to shun Joey, she "hooked up" with an aquaintance of Joey's that she had met at the same time she met Joey, because they were together in the same vehicle).

Joey had been making many calls to Ronya's phone every day, from that night until the Friday she died there were no calls.

On Friday, Joey called Ronya and told her the young man she liked (the one mentioned above) was at his house and wanted to see her there. Ronya's car was in the shop and Joey said he would provide her a ride. Ronya was very excited and happy to go see the young man she liked, so she accepted.

THE YOUNG MAN WAS NOT ACTUALLY THERE.

to continue...

Since: Jun 08

Pahrump, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

Kelly, I am glad to here that you are learning more info surrounding her death.
For me seeing Joey running around free like nothing ever happened makes me want puke!

I guess Nye County has made Murder and Conspiracy
legal...so, all you crooks out there...have at it!!!
KELLY- RONYAS MOM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

Continued...

WHAT WE KNOW:
Ronya left home the early the Friday evening, June 23, 2006, thinking she was going to Joey Provenza's house to meet her "current interest." That young man was not there. She had been told Joey was to pick her up, instead two other young men came to pick her up, and take her there. Chad and Lee. They stopped at the skate park and smoked pot (not Ronya)and then proceeded to Joey's house. Ronya went with them into Joey's bedroom. A few minutes later she was dead. She was shot through the right eye socket from 12 inches away with a 9mm rifle belonging to Joey. The police came to our door to inform us of Ronya's death at approximately 11:00 p.m. that night.

THE "INVESTIGATION": the police received a 911 call about a shooting and arrived at the scene to find Chad and Lee waiting for them outside. They were told a story about Lee accidentally pointing the gun at Ronya and pulling the trigger and "accidentally" shooting her, because he "didn't know the gun was loaded." DETECTIVE LT. ED HOWARD OF THE NCSD TOLD ME THEY "HAD CLOSED THEIR CASE THAT NIGHT" because they had a "confession." I said they had a confession from a minor (who thought he was going to get "community service" for his part in the deed) to an accident! I asked why on earth they would believe that bologna about a death that occured under such physical circumstances, and he said there was "no reason for the boy to kill her; he was her BEST FRIEND." I asked what on earth made them think her supposed killer was her best friend? Howard stated "because the boy said so" I asked why they would believe anyone involved in such a situation about something like that... Howard stated "because they were there together." I KID YOU NOT!!!!! I told Lt. Howard that I believed his logic to be flawed. I told Lt. Howard what I knew of the evening, and asked why I had not been asked any questions about my daughter's history with these people, and why NO ONE HAD BEEN ASKED ANY QUESTIONS. I was told it was easy to invent outlandish conspiracy theories and that I should stop living in fantasyland. I ended our interview at that point.

to continue...
Interested party

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2008

My heart goes out to you, Kelly. Ronya was beautiful and sweet.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

11 Users are viewing the Pahrump Forum right now

Search the Pahrump Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
What if!! 3 hr Pento Bangarian 4
PVFRS Lt. Moody paid more than ALL in Town & Co... 9 hr Joe 4
I know where I wont be tomorrow.. 16 hr secret asian man 2
Pahrump Drought Shaming Pitting Neighbors Again... 20 hr Oh yeah 38
Rick Marshall Can't Protect Us- Vote No on Rick Thu waifairere 61
Pahrump Music Forum (Dec '12) Thu Musikologist 20
kayla payton Thu ??? 1
•••
•••