First Prev
of 11
Next Last

“It's been verified ”

Since: Feb 12

Coming to a town near you

#1 Dec 2, 2012
I know most topix users are probably on welfare, but other than them, does anyone care? Next month will we be saying 'I remember the good old days up on the cliff'?
jose b

Paducah, KY

#2 Dec 2, 2012
Very profound.
jose a

Roscoe, IL

#3 Dec 3, 2012
Ummm...busy?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#4 Dec 3, 2012
Republicans have two choices...extend tax cuts for everyone excluding the top 2%...or drive off the cliff and lose the House in 2014. The people spoke on November 6th, 2012 now we'll see if they (GOP) are smart enough to listen.
here is a thought

Paducah, KY

#5 Dec 3, 2012
The White House has released a statement rejecting the Republican fiscal cliff counteroffer just hours after they made it. Communications director Dan Pfeiffer explained that the Republican plan "does not meet the test of balance":

In fact, it actually promises to lower rates for the wealthy and sticks the middle class with the bill. Their plan includes nothing new and provides no details on which deductions they would eliminate, which loopholes they will close or which Medicare savings they would achieve. Independent analysts who have looked at plans like this one have concluded that middle class taxes will have to go up to pay for lower rates for millionaires and billionaires.Here's the Republican proposal -$2.2 trillion saved:

-$800 billion in tax revenue (keeping Bush tax cuts for all)

-$600 billion in Medicare/Medicaid cuts

-$800 billion in savings from federal agencies and programs like farm subsidies and Social Security

And here's Obama's original proposal - just under $2 trillion saved:

-$1.6 trillion in tax revenue (eliminating Bush tax cuts for incomes over $250,000)

-$400 billion in Medicare/Medicaid cuts

-$50 billion stimulus spending

Via USA Today.
Looks like Obama still wants everyone to bow to his idea and the middle class will continue to pay. I love how I will be paying for his vacation to Hawaii along with everyone else in America.
He is putting us all in the poor house.



Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#6 Dec 3, 2012
here is a thought wrote:
The White House has released a statement rejecting the Republican fiscal cliff counteroffer just hours after they made it. Communications director Dan Pfeiffer explained that the Republican plan "does not meet the test of balance":

In fact, it actually promises to lower rates for the wealthy and sticks the middle class with the bill. Their plan includes nothing new and provides no details on which deductions they would eliminate, which loopholes they will close or which Medicare savings they would achieve. Independent analysts who have looked at plans like this one have concluded that middle class taxes will have to go up to pay for lower rates for millionaires and billionaires.Here's the Republican proposal -$2.2 trillion saved:

-$800 billion in tax revenue (keeping Bush tax cuts for all)

-$600 billion in Medicare/Medicaid cuts

-$800 billion in savings from federal agencies and programs like farm subsidies and Social Security

And here's Obama's original proposal - just under $2 trillion saved:

-$1.6 trillion in tax revenue (eliminating Bush tax cuts for incomes over $250,000)

-$400 billion in Medicare/Medicaid cuts

-$50 billion stimulus spending

Via USA Today.
Looks like Obama still wants everyone to bow to his idea and the middle class will continue to pay. I love how I will be paying for his vacation to Hawaii along with everyone else in America.
He is putting us all in the poor house.
Did you even read your own article before your own conclusion?
consultant

Houston, TX

#7 Dec 3, 2012
Remember only 54% of you idiots want tax increases. I would recommend cutting the entitlements get people's asses back to work, that would save a fortune and increase revenues into the treasury. Amazingly simple but somehow very difficult for illiterates to understand. Why should successful people be punished while lazy unmotivated people get everything for free, just asking?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#8 Dec 3, 2012
consultant wrote:
Remember only 54% of you idiots want tax increases. I would recommend cutting the entitlements get people's asses back to work, that would save a fortune and increase revenues into the treasury. Amazingly simple but somehow very difficult for illiterates to understand. Why should successful people be punished while lazy unmotivated people get everything for free, just asking?
Remember 51% makes the majority...that's the way our system works...majority rules
consultant

Houston, TX

#9 Dec 3, 2012
Food4thoughttsss wrote:
<quoted text>Remember 51% makes the majority...that's the way our system works...majority rules
There are still plenty of people that feel the platform you support is wrong

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#10 Dec 3, 2012
consultant wrote:
<quoted text>There are still plenty of people that feel the platform you support is wrong
Not the majority and that's my point...
Anon

United States

#11 Dec 3, 2012
Food4thoughttsss wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even read your own article before your own conclusion?
He probably read it and didn't have the reading comprehension to make sense of it. Therefore he just spouted the usual anti Obama rhetoric.
jose b

Paducah, KY

#12 Dec 3, 2012
No.
ghost rider

United States

#13 Dec 5, 2012
The fact seems to be that even if we get close to the edge of the cliff, the republicans may pay dearly for it. Don't they know this? Why are they pretending that they won the election?
As to what has been said many times: Elections have consequences.
Consultant

Bryan, TX

#14 Dec 5, 2012
I laugh at how everybody thinks raising taxes on the top income people will solve our fiscal issues. We need to learn not to spend spend spend. If we cut entitlements and instituted a flat tax where everybody paid the same percentage of their income we would be set fiscally. I do not understand why a successful person should foot the bill for people that have no desire or want to succeed. I was raised by a coal miner and grew up relatively poor, but my desire and want to succeed has allowed me to become successful in life. I already pay my fair share of taxes and would like to see everybody else pay their share.
Publius

Paducah, KY

#15 Dec 6, 2012
Food4thoughttsss wrote:
Republicans have two choices...extend tax cuts for everyone excluding the top 2%...or drive off the cliff and lose the House in 2014. The people spoke on November 6th, 2012 now we'll see if they (GOP) are smart enough to listen.
The Republicans offered a third choice. Mitch McConnell offered an opportunity to vote on the Democratic proposal in the Senate. Harry Reid objected! If the dem's truly believed their proposal was best, they would have voted on it immediately, to put further pressure on the House.

The fiscal cliff is tailor made for the Dems. What happens if we "go over" the cliff. Tax increases on everyone (which is exactly what they want) and massive spending cuts with the bulk of that coming from the Defense budget. Then they get to blame the Republicans.

As further proof that Dem's are not bargaining in good faith, President Obama said last year (July/August 2011) that the government could get the revenues it needed by just closing tax loopholes. Guess that doesn't work anymore?

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#16 Dec 6, 2012
Publius wrote:
<quoted text>The Republicans offered a third choice. Mitch McConnell offered an opportunity to vote on the Democratic proposal in the Senate. Harry Reid objected! If the dem's truly believed their proposal was best, they would have voted on it immediately, to put further pressure on the House.

The fiscal cliff is tailor made for the Dems. What happens if we "go over" the cliff. Tax increases on everyone (which is exactly what they want) and massive spending cuts with the bulk of that coming from the Defense budget. Then they get to blame the Republicans.

As further proof that Dem's are not bargaining in good faith, President Obama said last year (July/August 2011) that the government could get the revenues it needed by just closing tax loopholes. Guess that doesn't work anymore?
The fiscal cliff is tailored made for the dems?

What?????????

Where to start...Dems do NOT want to raise taxes on everyone in fact they want to extend tax breaks for 98% of the country.

Why would the Obama administration want to go over the cliff?

That would result in essentially going with a budget that President Obama just ran against and the majority of all Americans soundly voted AGAINST: THE PAUL RYAN BUDGET PLAN. Cut everything across the board.

Why would we vote on the first offer in negotiations on either side?

This all political play...the same could be said about Republicans plan with their own...Boehner's lopping heads off in the GOP...if given the choice to vote on THEIR own proposal (GOP that is), it wouldn't receive unanimous support!

Why's that?

Because the people SPOKE on November 6th, 2012 and they (gop) know that their seats are at risk in 2014 if they(GOP) choose to NOT LISTEN.

Republicans know, Democrats know and anyone that has an inkling of political awareness know that ANY offer that involves extending tax cuts to the top 2% is not a REALISTIC proposal..period, end of story.

Why's that?

Because we just went through 12 months of campaigning where the Obama Administration made it LOUD and CLEAR that his plan for the future was to raise rates of the wealthy instead of making cuts in deductions that would hurt the middle class.

And the MAJORITY of the United States of America agreed to that plan November 6th, 2012.

Again 2 choices...GOP's know it...put it on the table or forfeit control of the house in 2014.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#17 Dec 6, 2012
Food4thoughttsss wrote:
<quoted text>The fiscal cliff is tailored made for the dems?

What?????????

Where to start...Dems do NOT want to raise taxes on everyone in fact they want to extend tax breaks for 98% of the country.

Why would the Obama administration want to go over the cliff?

That would result in essentially going with a budget that President Obama just ran against and the majority of all Americans soundly voted AGAINST: THE PAUL RYAN BUDGET PLAN. Cut everything across the board.

Why would we vote on the first offer in negotiations on either side?

This all political play...the same could be said about Republicans plan with their own...Boehner's lopping heads off in the GOP...if given the choice to vote on THEIR own proposal (GOP that is), it wouldn't receive unanimous support!

Why's that?

Because the people SPOKE on November 6th, 2012 and they (gop) know that their seats are at risk in 2014 if they(GOP) choose to NOT LISTEN.

Republicans know, Democrats know and anyone that has an inkling of political awareness know that ANY offer that involves extending tax cuts to the top 2% is not a REALISTIC proposal..period, end of story.

Why's that?

Because we just went through 12 months of campaigning where the Obama Administration made it LOUD and CLEAR that his plan for the future was to raise rates of the wealthy instead of making cuts in deductions that would hurt the middle class.

And the MAJORITY of the United States of America agreed to that plan November 6th, 2012.

Again 2 choices...GOP's know it...put it on the table or forfeit control of the house in 2014.
Tailor made*
Consultant

Bryan, TX

#18 Dec 6, 2012
Food4thoughttsss wrote:
<quoted text>Tailor made*
One thing you forget is the Republicans in office were voted in for a reason in their election cycle. They do not get elected by the majority or the country in whole, they are elected by their district they represent. So it really doesn't matter how the country votes it's how his district votes. And I believe most republicans are against tax rates being raised for anyone.

Since: Nov 11

Location hidden

#19 Dec 6, 2012
Consultant wrote:
<quoted text>One thing you forget is the Republicans in office were voted in for a reason in their election cycle. They do not get elected by the majority or the country in whole, they are elected by their district they represent. So it really doesn't matter how the country votes it's how his district votes. And I believe most republicans are against tax rates being raised for anyone.
They had to gerrymander to do that!!! They're hanging on by a THREAD... They know it... We know it.

Mark my words right here today:

A bipartisan agreement will be reached that does not extend tax cuts to the top 2% income of the nation.

They may be greedy soulless politicians...but they're not dumb.
Taxed enough already

Paducah, KY

#20 Dec 6, 2012
We have a spending problem in this country, not a revenue generation problem:

U.S. Tax revenue:$2,170,000,000,000
* Fed budget:$3,820,000,000,000
* New debt:$ 1,650,000,000,000
* National debt:$14,271,000,000,000
* Recent budget cuts:$ 38,500,000,000

Foods - in your opinion, what is an appropriate percentage that the government should take from taxpayers?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 11
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paducah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Feb '10) 5 min Intrepid Surfer 1,902
News Gay marriage ruling in Kentucky upheld 25 min Bluntly put 11
News Whaler's Catch finally hooks buyer 28 min math 14
Suggestions for condoms bigger than Magnum XL (Sep '11) 44 min The Struggle is Real 68
Where are you easy porkin? (Mar '13) 45 min Stetson 20
Topix trolls name them.. 45 min ? 27
Ronald Saunders (Feb '11) 51 min wow 62
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paducah Mortgages