Papa John's in Lone Oak

Posted in the Paducah Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Papa

Paducah, KY

#1 Nov 25, 2012
The Papa John's in Lone Oak has really gone down hill in the past few months. It is like they just quit caring.
donnie

Owensboro, KY

#2 Nov 27, 2012
yeah pizza sucks now used to be the best!
yummy

United States

#4 Dec 25, 2012
Who's the bigger guy with dreads?? He is hott.
Mini

Kirksey, KY

#5 Dec 25, 2012
If Papa Johns was the only pizza place in town then I wouldn't be eating any pizza.
student

Paducah, KY

#6 Dec 25, 2012
Mayor B wrote:
Their Manager John Workman is a douche bag and liar. He doesn't know how to tell the truth to save his life and the employees are tired of caring.
John Workman is a douchebag! Had a recent encounter with him myself. He is a liar and treats his employees like shit!
Err

Paducah, KY

#7 Dec 25, 2012
Ya'll hardly know what real good pizza is down here. You choose Pizza Inn and other buffet pizza places (and...Pizza Hut! WHAAAATTTT?!?!?!) instead of real joints..and the real joints..most aren't good. Travel to a big city...learn what good pizza really is...then you'd never want half that shiz again. And get the recipes so we can have some real good pizza down here
asdfg

Paducah, KY

#8 Dec 26, 2012
yummy wrote:
Who's the bigger guy with dreads?? He is hott.
John Polk
lived in chicago

Duluth, GA

#9 Dec 26, 2012
Err wrote:
Ya'll hardly know what real good pizza is down here. You choose Pizza Inn and other buffet pizza places (and...Pizza Hut! WHAAAATTTT?!?!?!) instead of real joints..and the real joints..most aren't good. Travel to a big city...learn what good pizza really is...then you'd never want half that shiz again. And get the recipes so we can have some real good pizza down here
you are right! Heard New York is the best but pizza is dven way different and better in Chicago!!!! Nothing like it around here at all!
lived in chicago

Duluth, GA

#10 Dec 26, 2012
"Even" sorry:-)

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#11 Dec 26, 2012
I'm from near Chicago. I don't even consider Chicago style pizza. But, I have yet to find a decent slice anywhere down here. Best pizza anywhere is in Boston, mark my words. New York style is crap, its all by the slice, and precooked and reheated. I prefer cheap college-town style most of the time. Nothing like that down here, and most of the cheese is crap too. Bbq is about all we have going for us down here, and I've honestly had better than that too.
Err

Paducah, KY

#12 Dec 27, 2012
You have a point with much of NY pizza. It's mostly because its a big "on the go" culture/tradition. Try their regular pies though. Very, very fresh. Big and cheesy. I'm from NJ, so I'm biased...NJ has a variation of NY style, but it's greaser and a little thicker on crust. Best I've had.

I've heard that about Boston's pizza but haven't given it a shot yet. I have pizza "connections" once I head up there though. Ala Chicago...can't get behind their deep dish...it's really good...if I don't view it as a pizza (similar to how metallica's later stuff is good if I don't view it as Metallica). If its as a pasta/lasagna/something else in my mind..it's ok.

But for sure, nothing around it is close but for one... michaels is ny based from ny...and it's really not bad, though I've read bad things about it here before. It's an average ny pizza...Italian village..had it once...I recall it was "eh"...pizza by the pound...interesting stuff...don't know what to compare it to though...very thick...maybe like a normal Chicago style (not deep dish)?..but .that's about it. Nothing is really GREAT here though and the crowds at dominoes, Pizza Hut and inn are disheartening to my pizza heart

Location hidden

#13 Dec 27, 2012
Yeah, I never got a whole pie in NY. Pizza crust and sauce is a matter of taste, subjective, but cheese is what makes or breaks a pizza. If you have good cheese you could put it on a cracker or whatever and it won't matter. Good meats/veg is probably second most important in my book. If you've got crap lunch meat style like the chains, good cheese will barely cut it. Anything else that can go wrong is just a matter of negligence, like under/over seasoning the sauce etc. The crust is just a matter of preference and artistry.

There is a place I went to in Minneapolis or St Paul that does Neapolitan-style pizza, probably a runner up to Boston. They cook the pizzas in a 750 degree oven for 90 seconds. Absolutely stellar.
Err

Paducah, KY

#14 Dec 27, 2012
Wow...a pizza done in 90 seconds? I can't even imagine that...it gets that good brick/what-have-you-pizza-oven y taste and all that?

I agree on crust, sauce, cheese point to a degree...a good cheese can change a lot...but if the crust is very cardboardy (a problem I've encountered in a lot of places), it cannot be overpowered by the cheese. At times, I can ignore/look past a bad sauce...but sometimes it's just as big of a player as the cheese is. For example...some use Ragu...or another sweet sauce...something negligence doesn't cover...that's not a good pizza. And a waste of a potential good thing

Location hidden

#15 Dec 28, 2012
Yeah, their oven is this beautiful brick dome with a mosaic laid on the outside. Wood fire if I'm not mistaken. Great oven taste.

I dunno, I think all of those other things are types of negligence. Neglecting to make actual sauce, crust, etc. We're mincing words at this point, obviously we both know good pizza can take many forms.

My least favorite is when it tastes like someone uses unseasoned tomato paste, and I would take a sweet spaghetti sauce over that.

“go 49ers owwwwww gettt it!!!!!”

Since: Aug 10

miss paducah ky that is

#16 Dec 28, 2012
Main st pizza,in Murray and quattros deep dish in carbondale the best pizzzaw ever and yes michaels in paducah yum

“go 49ers owwwwww gettt it!!!!!”

Since: Aug 10

miss paducah ky that is

#17 Dec 28, 2012
Fyi johns a nice guy maybe ur the douche
Err

Paducah, KY

#18 Dec 29, 2012
Shame it's in Minnesota though..no reason to visit there except the airport in connecting flights.

My least favorite is without a doubt the cardboard taste...it just seems like so many places don't care to put the effort in and are going "here's pizza!"...couldn't complain when one of my old local places was serving the larges for 8 bucks. If I wanted a good pie, I'd go elsewhere. Different chefs, like in all restaurants, change the taste, but especially pizza. It's tricky business with guess work.

That's another thing down here...there's so many sizes for pizza..and in order to get a large like you would elsewhere, you have to order it "extra large" - which is just another silly size level. They come to about a dollar more (or equal to, depending on the pie), and are STILL smaller than the normal larges I'm accustomed to. Small complaint...just a disappointment when I got my first pizza down here and ordered a large and I got so little.

Tina - if you think it's the best in the world - I suggest you really go travel outside here. I don't doubt it's good but...probably not the best
Bevis

Metropolis, IL

#19 Dec 29, 2012
Quatros in Carbondale, homemade sauce & fresh everything.
It's worth the drive......

Location hidden

#20 Dec 29, 2012
Minneapolis is a pretty rad town. Amazing beer and food. Yeah, the weather is crummy in the winter, but its almost worth it. I visit friends there every few years. Duluth is alright too.

I've heard Carbondale has good pizza, but its a college town, it had better have good pizza. I'm from Illinois, the pizza there seems fine all over. Down here the meat is better, dairy is worse.

I'm sure ill find an acceptable pie around here eventually, but it hasn't happened yet. I've been making them at home when I get the craving...
D2

Paducah, KY

#21 Dec 29, 2012
It used to be owned by my family but ever since they sold it their quality has gone way down hill!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paducah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
~~Song Title Game~~ (Jan '13) 29 min Carmen 3,864
Shannon Reid 1 hr Bac 2
White trash at Cecil clinic today 1 hr Uranass 4
News Homosexual 'Acts' shock students, bring awareness (Nov '08) 2 hr Open thou mind 162
Drop a word, add a word (Nov '12) 2 hr teensy 6,486
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Feb '10) 2 hr teensy 1,747
hot girls? 2 hr LETS BE HONEST 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paducah Mortgages