Review aims at humane society

Review aims at humane society

There are 15 comments on the The Paducah Sun Online Edition story from Mar 20, 2011, titled Review aims at humane society. In it, The Paducah Sun Online Edition reports that:

Christie Bell and Lisa Lauck are fighting for change. Bell, of Paducah, filed a complaint with Judge-Executive Van Newberry on Monday against the McCracken County Humane Society and its administration, director Shirley Grimes in particular.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Paducah Sun Online Edition.

animalhuman

Paducah, KY

#1 Mar 20, 2011
Yay!

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#2 Mar 21, 2011
Then perhaps Christie Bell and Lisa Lauck should open there own shelter and feed their animals steak.
animalhuman

Paducah, KY

#3 Mar 21, 2011
They have rescued SEVERAL animals using their own money. Stay tuned, that just may happen. I don't think anyone is merely suggesting that the animals at the MCHS are not pampered...take a look at the facts (tax information from 2007-2009) and you'll find that the MCHS is a "non-profit" organization with $1.8 million in growing in the bank and a "Director" that allots herself a $93,000/ year salary when the facility is only open 30 hours / week.
Bubba

Paducah, KY

#4 Mar 21, 2011
Channel 6. Can't pull off a live shot to save their life.
Donna

Nashville, TN

#5 Mar 21, 2011
Convicted Felon wrote:
Then perhaps Christie Bell and Lisa Lauck should open there own shelter and feed their animals steak.
What a snide remark! Christie & Lisa are trying to help homeless animals. What have you done to help, convicted felon?

Location hidden

#6 Mar 21, 2011
Donna wrote:
<quoted text>
What a snide remark! Christie & Lisa are trying to help homeless animals. What have you done to help, convicted felon?
I fed my cat this morning.You might not think it was a big deal but my cat seemed to really be thankful.I was also nice to a cop.
I have decided to post a "snide remark" on every news story,Perhaps if more stories are on the page more people will talk about topics instead of each other.

Location hidden

#7 Mar 21, 2011
animalhuman wrote:
They have rescued SEVERAL animals using their own money. Stay tuned, that just may happen. I don't think anyone is merely suggesting that the animals at the MCHS are not pampered...take a look at the facts (tax information from 2007-2009) and you'll find that the MCHS is a "non-profit" organization with $1.8 million in growing in the bank and a "Director" that allots herself a $93,000/ year salary when the facility is only open 30 hours / week.
I wasnt able to read the entire story,I missed all this...
Thanks for the post.
Diane

Calhoun, KY

#8 Mar 29, 2011
So glad to see someone is finally helping the animals at MCHS. This place is a disgrace to our community. Someone needs to be in charge that really cares about the animals and provides proper health care for them. The pets there can't help themselves so we have to speak for them and help them.

Location hidden

#9 Mar 29, 2011
I just dont understand the big deal.
If you wanna open a no kill facility do it.
But I have been out to there and the place isnt bad.
Perhaps you shouldnt spade or neuter either.
And dont cage them up,let them run free.
And lets put all the animals on a vegetarian diet too.
Kurt

Knoxville, TN

#10 Mar 29, 2011
Be reasonable Felon, people only wanting what is best for pets, good grief!

Location hidden

#11 Mar 29, 2011
I doubt that,Its people that want things their way.
Life isnt burger king.So what they kill unwanted animals.We kill and eat animals every day.

They dont want to open a no kill facility.
They seem to want the county to give them the land,build the place and pay them to manage the place?

If I were a dog id rather be killed than neutered.
This is a huge waste of time by some do gooders.

Location hidden

#12 Mar 29, 2011
ADUCAH Flipping through half a dozen pages, Christie Bell pauses at a picture of a small black dog.

"This is Toby," she said. "His collar was matted to his skin and we had to rip his skin to get the collar off."

Toby is Christie Bell's latest project.

When the animal lover first saw him at the McCracken County Humane Society, she remembered thinking, "I'm gonna fix you."

Now, it is the place he came from that she has got her sights on.

"I would love to see improvements made to the shelter we have."

The Humane Society came under fire several weeks ago. A group of concerned citizens, Bell among them, accused the shelter of limited adoption hours, and inadequate grooming and vet care. All things Bell said have led to more euthanized cats and dogs.

County Judge Executive Van Newberry said the idea of a second shelter is not a bad one. In fact, he said, it will likely be up for discussion when the county begins their budget talks in two weeks.

"This is great timing on everyone's part," he said.

But Newberry said he has no desire or right to shut down the current operation.

"They have nothing to do with county government. That is a private, non-profit organization."

That is why Bell said she is stepping in saying Tuesday.

"Let's start our own shelter."

She is asking the county or city to donate land and/or a building. She said there will be no shortage of volunteers or funds.

"We need to save the animals."

A Humane Society employee said Tuesday she was not authorized to comment. Director Shirley Grimes, meanwhile, did not return Local 6's phone calls.

The issue is heading back to the fiscal court in a few weeks. The court is scheduled to meet April 11 at 5 p.m.

Location hidden

#13 Mar 29, 2011
Convicted Felon wrote:
ADUCAH Flipping through half a dozen pages, Christie Bell pauses at a picture of a small black dog.

"This is Toby," she said. "His collar was matted to his skin and we had to rip his skin to get the collar off."

Toby is Christie Bell's latest project.

When the animal lover first saw him at the McCracken County Humane Society, she remembered thinking, "I'm gonna fix you."

Now, it is the place he came from that she has got her sights on.

"I would love to see improvements made to the shelter we have."

The Humane Society came under fire several weeks ago. A group of concerned citizens, Bell among them, accused the shelter of limited adoption hours, and inadequate grooming and vet care. All things Bell said have led to more euthanized cats and dogs.

County Judge Executive Van Newberry said the idea of a second shelter is not a bad one. In fact, he said, it will likely be up for discussion when the county begins their budget talks in two weeks.

"This is great timing on everyone's part," he said.

But Newberry said he has no desire or right to shut down the current operation.

"They have nothing to do with county government. That is a private, non-profit organization."

That is why Bell said she is stepping in saying Tuesday.

"Let's start our own shelter."

She is asking the county or city to donate land and/or a building. She said there will be no shortage of volunteers or funds.

"We need to save the animals."

A Humane Society employee said Tuesday she was not authorized to comment. Director Shirley Grimes, meanwhile, did not return Local 6's phone calls.

The issue is heading back to the fiscal court in a few weeks. The court is scheduled to meet April 11 at 5 p.m.
hello-goodbye

Pflugerville, TX

#14 Apr 15, 2011
Convicted Felon wrote:
I just dont understand the big deal.
If you wanna open a no kill facility do it.
But I have been out to there and the place isnt bad.
Perhaps you shouldnt spade or neuter either.
And dont cage them up,let them run free.
And lets put all the animals on a vegetarian diet too.
Felon it is evident that you are on topix looking for attention you have it now..do you have anything positive to offer society? do you ever offer any positive remarks here on topix? Most of all are you aware that you are the exact type of person that keeps crap stirred and makes ugly statements about people and important things with in our community. We all know you have a voice why not use it for something worth listening to? Christie and Lisa not only give of their time and love for all these animals but unlike our humane society with 1.8 million in the bank these ladies rescue, foster, Vet, feed and find wonderful homes and it's all on their dime. In my eyes they are heroes!! What have you done for someone lately that not only did you do it free of charge but it cost you $?? Case closed.

Location hidden

#15 Apr 15, 2011
You know id have alot more respect for them if they werent bashing nice old ladies...

And if you dont like my post, dont read them.

Click the X, Ill go away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paducah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drug bust at Reidland Barber shop 2 min pky 19
Hal Mabry 5 min pky 7
Van Newberry in trouble 30 min Lawyer 14
Farley drug folk 51 min DarkAngel 60
Sheriff Jon Hayden (Aug '10) 1 hr chillin 71
Dogs Available for VET WITH PTSD 1 hr HICKMICK 3
Hardcore Sex (Apr '11) 1 hr Hornynowww 34
Congratulations Tori Shaw! 3 hr HICKMICK 28
More from around the web

Personal Finance