Paducah police respond to criticism o...

Paducah police respond to criticism of force

There are 111 comments on the The Paducah Sun Online Edition story from Aug 28, 2014, titled Paducah police respond to criticism of force. In it, The Paducah Sun Online Edition reports that:

Responding to an outcry in social media regarding the treatment of a Paducah couple during a traffic stop on Tuesday, the Paducah Police Department issued a statement Thursday explaining its action and saying it was in accordance with policy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Paducah Sun Online Edition.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
citizen

Cadiz, KY

#1 Aug 29, 2014
I feel the police did exactly what they should do. Kliff is a car dealer. He's responsible for all of this.
Citizen

Wickliffe, KY

#2 Aug 29, 2014
citizen wrote:
I feel the police did exactly what they should do. Kliff is a car dealer. He's responsible for all of this.
/the cops are to militarized. they did not have to pull guns on the occupants. They are lucky no one got killed by this stupid action.. just over plates they did not kill anyone.The cops would not have to worry about rev. al showing up since I assume they were white.. Cops are getting more dangerous every day..
been arrested bunches

Houston, TX

#3 Aug 29, 2014
The cops are not too militaristic. Especially in bigger cities where weapons owned by criminals are military grade. People these days are too quick to yell they were mistreated. If plates on a car are stolen or come back belonging to another vehicle it is a good possibility further criminal activity exists. If you do not wish to be treated as acriminal, do not act as one. Simple.
Citizen

Wickliffe, KY

#5 Aug 29, 2014
thetallcoolone wrote:
Yesterday, seven thirty pm, man with rifle walking down ninth st in Calvert city. Passed him in my truck and waved. Didn't know him but since he was walking and I was driving we made eye contact. I was sociable. He waved back.
Tonight. Man with semiautomatic pistol strapped on his side in The Country Castle.(Perfectly legal as the Castle receives more than fifty percent of their revenue from food sales, thus not classified as a bar) Nobody said a word to either of them. Neither of the men broke the law or did anything wrong. Neither man saw the pistol in my boot.(Also legal, concealed carry permit in my wallet) I believe officers should be careful of approaching anyone. They should be wary but DAMNED sure to be respectful, for their own safety.
More honest law abiding citizens have firearms than criminals.
Officers, be safe but don't treat us like criminals until we give you reason to believe otherwise. Little respect goes a long way. Your trained to use your firearm against perceived threats.
So am I. I believe if someone was pointing a gun at me I would be inclined to shoot them first. Same as any cop would do.
Barney, unless its a felony stop or weapons are visible, keep it holstered. No need to escalate the situation and put yourself in danger because you seen too many episodes of TJ Hooker or Miami Vice when you were little.
I always heard that there is a fine line between being a cop and a criminal..Never trust a cop again..
Carol

Paducah, KY

#6 Aug 29, 2014
Ok do all the folks that work for dealerships get to grab a tag stick it on a vehicle? I think this is a felony of some sort as they are not paying taxes to drive this vehicle, or paying for it!!!! Dealerships need to reconsider how they let just anyone take the tags!!! And the mrs pull up your grannie panties and get over it... Gezzzz Lone Oak people are the worst around here, always thinking there better than anyone else!!!
Cci

Paducah, KY

#8 Aug 29, 2014
been arrested bunches wrote:
The cops are not too militaristic. Especially in bigger cities where weapons owned by criminals are military grade. People these days are too quick to yell they were mistreated. If plates on a car are stolen or come back belonging to another vehicle it is a good possibility further criminal activity exists. If you do not wish to be treated as acriminal, do not act as one. Simple.
I think the law has changed on the resurant that serves sells alcohol section. I think it now says that you can carry in these areas, but not in the area that specifically sells alcohol. In other words, you can't set at the bar section. But, I am not a lawyer and am definently not giving legal advice. I recommend you check on the new changes.
Miss paducah

Paducah, KY

#9 Aug 30, 2014
Good to see I'm not the only person they pull that b.s on...Hell I'm always getting pulled over
Mike

Erin, TN

#10 Aug 30, 2014
Miss paducah wrote:
Good to see I'm not the only person they pull that b.s on...Hell I'm always getting pulled over
Same here, I have been pulled over many times, and they have their guns pointed at me.
Shanna

Paducah, KY

#11 Aug 30, 2014
Theses people must be looking for a law suit to finish building there new house!!!!! Or maybe buy there own automobile and pay taxes & insurance like the rest of us
white hillbilly

United States

#12 Aug 30, 2014
PPD responded according to the book. Kesters won't get a penny and will wind up losing money on legal fees. Just a case of bad luck. Nobody hurt. Get over it.
wait what

Franklin, TN

#14 Aug 30, 2014
Carol wrote:
Ok do all the folks that work for dealerships get to grab a tag stick it on a vehicle? I think this is a felony of some sort as they are not paying taxes to drive this vehicle, or paying for it!!!! Dealerships need to reconsider how they let just anyone take the tags!!! And the mrs pull up your grannie panties and get over it... Gezzzz Lone Oak people are the worst around here, always thinking there better than anyone else!!!
I totally agree!
Interested....

Tucker, GA

#15 Aug 30, 2014
thetallcoolone wrote:
Yesterday, seven thirty pm, man with rifle walking down ninth st in Calvert city. Passed him in my truck and waved. Didn't know him but since he was walking and I was driving we made eye contact. I was sociable. He waved back.
Tonight. Man with semiautomatic pistol strapped on his side in The Country Castle.(Perfectly legal as the Castle receives more than fifty percent of their revenue from food sales, thus not classified as a bar) Nobody said a word to either of them. Neither of the men broke the law or did anything wrong. Neither man saw the pistol in my boot.(Also legal, concealed carry permit in my wallet) I believe officers should be careful of approaching anyone. They should be wary but DAMNED sure to be respectful, for their own safety.
More honest law abiding citizens have firearms than criminals.
Officers, be safe but don't treat us like criminals until we give you reason to believe otherwise. Little respect goes a long way. Your trained to use your firearm against perceived threats.
So am I. I believe if someone was pointing a gun at me I would be inclined to shoot them first. Same as any cop would do.
Barney, unless its a felony stop or weapons are visible, keep it holstered. No need to escalate the situation and put yourself in danger because you seen too many episodes of TJ Hooker or Miami Vice when you were little.
Wait...so your saying to the Police, "DO NOT, follow policy and procedures and DO NOT follow the training you receive at the academy so that when you are questioned in court under oath, you will not be able to refer back to your training"?? I'm confused?? And what about "Action vs Reaction"?? What happens then? Please explain...thanks!!!
upset

Paducah, KY

#17 Aug 30, 2014
thetallcoolone wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying there is absolutely no reason a cop should have an unarmed man at gun point for a speeding ticket. Been there, done that. Fifteen miles an hour over the speed limit isn't enough reason to threaten me with lethal force. Idiot rookie watches too much tv. Trust me, they don't train cops to use deadly force for moving violations. Gun should have never left his holster. I was unarmed and Couldnt believe my response. I burst out in laughter. Said "Put the gun away Barney, ain't no reason to kill anyone for speeding."
He was conducting a stop for a moving violation with absolutely no reason to think otherwise. Man that scared shouldn't be on the force. Cops don't point guns at me when I wear my pistol openly, no reason to point one at me when I don't have one on me. Flight or fight response is a powerful thing, man points a gun at me I kinda wanna point one back at him instead of die. Cops get killed doing dumb things like that. Usually if I tell a cop I have a concealed permit they ask if I am armed and where the firearm is. They get awful courteous then cause they realize I can't be a criminal.(Gotta have clean record to obtain a permit) Usually never even ask to see the firearm. Just tell me to leave it where it is. Lethal force is to be used to protect lives, not for threatening unarmed citizens.
Ok having read all I could about this, I believe the Police were wrong. The stop was wrong, First they checked plate because they thought 7;30 was to late for a vehicle with dealer plates to be on the road.(wrong) the missing plate was a 2011 plate, the one on the truck was a 2014,( year dates on the plates) The cops should have noticed this. When did they ask for drivers license to check on them ( oh they didn't). They went into the use of deadly force(why)???? I can only say dumb ass cops. They need desk jobs they have shown they do not need to carry firearms. The KESTERS should be upset and angry.
Citizen

Wickliffe, KY

#19 Aug 30, 2014
Mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Same here, I have been pulled over many times, and they have their guns pointed at me.
I hope they sue the city and get millions.. I would be afraid to get out of the vehicle if stopped, I might get shot..Revern al Sharpton and Jessee wouldn't care at all since I am white..
Mike

Erin, TN

#20 Aug 30, 2014
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope they sue the city and get millions.. I would be afraid to get out of the vehicle if stopped, I might get shot..Revern al Sharpton and Jessee wouldn't care at all since I am white..
Agreed.
question

Paducah, KY

#21 Aug 30, 2014
Citizen wrote:
<quoted text>
Could they sue the officers involved?
5 0

Indianapolis, IN

#22 Aug 30, 2014
First of all, Mrs Kester kept saying deadly force was used; there wasn't any force used. The Kester's may think they're high and mighty with a lot of money, but I credit the PPD for not treating them any different than at other citizen. Many officers have been shot or assaulted by stopping vehicles with stolen plates or cars. When criminals steal plates, they have either committed other crimes or are about to commit other crimes; no one knows. The inconvenience of being handcuffed for a few minutes is safer than risking officer's safety. In all reality, police are taught to put suspects on the ground on traffic stops. Get over it!
5 0

Indianapolis, IN

#23 Aug 30, 2014
By running plates randomly, that's called proactive policing. By running plates randomly, police are able to get any criminals off the street , because the registered owners are searched through a national database. Larger cities have cameras on their cars that run every plate they pass. Thousands of arrests are made due to the running of the license plates. It is only convenient that police make arrests when the people complaining are the victims.
question

Paducah, KY

#25 Aug 31, 2014
thetallcoolone wrote:
But there ain't no reason for the police to ever point much less draw their firearms in the first place! Possibly hand on the grip, maybe unsnapped, but not pointed at anyone. It was a moving violation. Not an armed robbery. Could have been cleared up in minutes instead of this fiasco.
But this is why the city has a fund to settle things like this instead of waste bunches more on lawyers and dragging it out. Just thankful nobody got shot.
5 0 you a cop? Look I respect the police and the job they do. But this time they were very wrong. Wait until witnesses give their statements, and get to see the pictures, then put yourself in Mr. Kesters shoes. They are honest hard working people. Quit taking up for bad acts by the police. Maybe the police dept. may learn something from this. I really hope so
wait what

Franklin, TN

#27 Aug 31, 2014
It could have all been avoided if these cheapskates that are building a house would have just bought a car too. But you see that would mean they pay taxes, insurance, registration, etc. Its their own fault for taking advantage of the dealerships he works for, that should be illegal. Kudos to ppd for handling this by the book.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paducah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rumpshakers 11 min Bikersupporter 11
Review: Larry Meadows Body Shop (Aug '10) 47 min Marshall 80
Americans must embrace Muslim heritage 48 min Paducah supports ... 70
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 53 min RD Calhoun - Cadiz 900
Brandy Roberts out 53 min Bye bye brandy 5
CaryV4 55 min Free cary 7
Paducah's new Mayor 1 hr Lilly 27

Paducah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paducah Mortgages