Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#2 Dec 26, 2012
Yes, in every single topix thread! Zing!
WTF

Paducah, KY

#3 Dec 26, 2012
Is this that guy on The Big Bang Theory?
braniac

Hermitage, TN

#4 Dec 26, 2012
I think it's a she.
Annie Nonymoose

Cadiz, KY

#5 Dec 26, 2012
Seems that all of these arguments apply directly to the hot button issue of gun control that's recently crept into the fore.
Not much evidence for or against, and many of the arguments presented by both sides bear a STRONG agenda.
An example is that we are now being conditioned to see every young person with Aspberger's as potentially violent. While they may have some quirks that our society doesn't consider normal, there is no evidence to point toward the propensity for violence as it relates to this disorder. Seems to me that the glorification of violence in popular media lends itself to violent acts more than this disorder in particular.
Am I way off track?
Annie Nonymoose

Cadiz, KY

#8 Dec 26, 2012
be nice wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think that you're off track at all. It seems that your example of classifying those with Asperger's as potentially violent would fit the description of an overgeneralization or hasty generalization. Here is where stereotyping and labeling can be harmful to the individual and the individual's family. We have to be careful what assumptions we make about people, because our assumptions are rarely based on actual facts.
In terms of the gun control debate, it seems to me that many of the arguments bear resemblance to ad ignoratum, or appeal to ignorance, in that just because something has not yet been proven true does not imply it is false. For example,have we proven that stricter gun laws will help save lives? I don't think we have. Have we proven that more lenient gun laws will help save lives? Again, I don't think so.
The gun debate is a real tough one. We know that guns kill, and if we could live in a world without the need for any weapons, I'm sure we'd be all for it. But Utopian society is not a reality. We may never find the right answer regarding gun control. The best we can hope for is moderation since we know that extremism on either side of the issue is not the answer.
Thanks for responding!
If we could live without weapons (technology), we'd simply invent other and possibly more gruesome ways to destroy each other. It's an inherent need to feel power and "grandeur" over our fellow humans. Is it human nature or something more sinister?
a a theory

Gallatin, TN

#10 Dec 27, 2012
we feel good when we find opinions that reinforce our preexisting views

if we find a way to connect with a person's preexisting view we can slowly expand and shift that view to fit our agenda

confrontationally, debating on the merits may not always be the most productive approach to persuasion
the Bait

Gallatin, TN

#11 Dec 27, 2012
Americans own Guns but rarely shoot guns

Americans own Bibles but rarely read Bibles

A government that wants to control its people must minimize guns and control or minimize the effects of Bibles, otherwise, the people will be more powerful than the government.

The creators of the US Constitution and Bill of Rights started this experiment and pointed out the likelihood of the government overtaking the people in time.
a b theory feedforward

Gallatin, TN

#12 Dec 27, 2012
there are at a minimum ouliers in most all philosophical data that can be used to reinforce any particular point of view. even 1, 2 and 3.

so what is the point of a philosophical argument unless it is tied to at least a thread of a consensual world view? Is it like poetry or science?
hose b

Lake Geneva, WI

#13 Dec 27, 2012
We are starting to pay the price for having effectively beaten darwinism.
examples of 123 in media

Gallatin, TN

#14 Dec 27, 2012
I see this as a political strategy...

if we take a small sample one specific event of people killed using guns, we can convince minimally aware people using 1, 2 and 3 (or other tactics)that they should follow the political agenda of banning guns.

If we can narrow the frame through which people view the event we can forward the political agenda based on a narrow view or narrow reasoning.

Some people already fear guns, so we can amplify that fear. it's hard to ban water if someone dies from drinking too much water.

over eating trans fats kills lots of people, but the effect is slow or delayed.

I don't even think it is illegal to kill someone by slowly feeding them trans-fats...

the gun can have an instant effect and mentally immature humans respond best to instant gratification.

Tina aka tlo

“#istandwithrand RAND PAUL 2016”

Since: Aug 10

miss paducah ky that is

#15 Dec 27, 2012
I just overgeneralized on the Thomas Duncan thread go read it I accused Amy Dixon of stuff frm hearsay even tho I don't know its true and I kinda feel bad cuz I don't know em I kinda get lead into situations frm a certain cough cough female aka reidland high school antiprep cough cough ;-) ;-) c.c lol and I overgeneralize thngs

Tina aka tlo

miss paducah ky that is

#16 Dec 27, 2012
U can throw a Lil bit of ad ignorantium in that

Tina aka tlo

miss paducah ky that is

#17 Dec 27, 2012
Card stacking would def fit the bomb threats and antiprep and the state trooper at the time who was involved for sure
free food

Gallatin, TN

#18 Dec 27, 2012
doughnuts taste good, I love food stamps

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paducah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snitchez 22 min Solid270 7
Tamara from Kmart - gorgeous - last name??? 2 hr Cash 3
Channel 6 news Stephanie Martinez.... 2 hr riverrat 15
Regina's dancer melissa (Aug '13) 3 hr Blackman 5000 5
Lighting bolt 3 hr curious 5
Amanda Roberts WPSD (Apr '15) 3 hr Forrest 30
Melissa Smith from Metropolis (Feb '11) 4 hr Barrister 9

Paducah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance