Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.

There are 81694 comments on the The Cincinnati Enquirer story from Jan 5, 2011, titled Hundreds of birds die in western Ky.. In it, The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that:

MURRAY, Ky. - State wildlife officials say "several hundred" dead birds were found near the Murray State University campus last week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Cincinnati Enquirer.

“It is what it is, folks!!”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#63709 Jul 18, 2012
THE UNA FARTER wrote:
<quoted text> When enough pressure builds in anything something is going to give way. Even heated water builds up pressure.
Exactly. That's also the main reason that landfills have been installing those release valves and gas monitors in their pits. There is an abundance of methane in these landfills that could be utilized for power as well.

The coal supporters outwardly feel angst about potentially loosing any profit margins, and one could correctly assume it wouldn't sit well with them at all if the country decidedly switched to natural gas or wind turbines for it's power consumption needs.
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63711 Jul 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
It may be flowing down from the creak waters upstream from your place. If that's the case, there's not much you can do. Is your creek pretty deep?
We have two creeks and this one is mainly our own...comes out of the hills and rough to get to the head of it, but I think you are onto something and we will take ride through there and take a peek. It is where the water comes out of the hill that we want to take the next water sample...there is also a spring they used to use many years back and we will have that one tested as well.

This well was great, but when they started mining it ruined many of the wells around here. It is sad since many were old and very neat! We climbed down ours and pumped and scouped it out a few times before we had it tested...and it was still bad. So, we must count it out, for consumption anyways.=(

“TELLING IT LIKE IT IS”

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#63712 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
OK...I really am caught up this time! I will grab an iced tea and BRB as well. LOL
Well, I'm out of here. Don't cry. I'll try to be back in the morning to give the Humpaburn report. Actually, it is morning. That Humpaburn is to lazy to give his daily report anymore. The Fartmans work is never done. I have to take up the slack for all the stragglers. Looks like I might have to start teaching history for Old Scruffy Wolf too.
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63714 Jul 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. That's also the main reason that landfills have been installing those release valves and gas monitors in their pits. There is an abundance of methane in these landfills that could be utilized for power as well.
The coal supporters outwardly feel angst about potentially loosing any profit margins, and one could correctly assume it wouldn't sit well with them at all if the country decidedly switched to natural gas or wind turbines for it's power consumption needs.
More interesting info, thank you. I did not know about the release valves and gas monitors in landfills...so, we have MAJOR methane troubles in many areas. Makes me wonder more about the quakes. These quakes have been increasing rapidly for the past couple of decades.

Location hidden

#63716 Jul 18, 2012
It depends on what it's tested for. Water purification tablets are cheap, so are iodine tabs. Might want to give that a thought.

What worries is at present is a train derailment around my main natural water source. That being the Cumberland River... Once Chlorine gas hits water, it's instantly turned to liquid acid. Nothing can be done to my knowledge to treat that issue. Hence, the rain barrels. Assuming of course that the gas wouldn't reach my homestead.......
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63717 Jul 18, 2012
Yup! I am more certain that it is just going to all hit at once...war, economy, draught, die offs, famine, quakes...

Maybe not all in the same week, but...

Location hidden

#63718 Jul 18, 2012
G'night Una.
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63722 Jul 18, 2012
_-_Nope_-_ wrote:
It depends on what it's tested for. Water purification tablets are cheap, so are iodine tabs. Might want to give that a thought.
What worries is at present is a train derailment around my main natural water source. That being the Cumberland River... Once Chlorine gas hits water, it's instantly turned to liquid acid. Nothing can be done to my knowledge to treat that issue. Hence, the rain barrels. Assuming of course that the gas wouldn't reach my homestead.......
Geeez, that stinks. Well I know that the test should have showed 1% or less and had 600 times the amount it should have (from both sources). We were told NOT to drink it. Honey talked to the guy and I will next time and find out exactly what they do test for.

I should get the tablets, bleach works fine too ( a cap full per gallon), but when we run out of these things we will need some other source. Unfortunately, my honey does not understand storing and saving nor conserving! I hate lessons learned the hard way.

Location hidden

#63723 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
<quoted text>
More interesting info, thank you. I did not know about the release valves and gas monitors in landfills...so, we have MAJOR methane troubles in many areas. Makes me wonder more about the quakes. These quakes have been increasing rapidly for the past couple of decades.
The state of Florida has many, many landfills. They're so easy to spot because the state is flat, and when you see an odd "hill" where green grass is growing and mowed? Well, it doesn't take rocket science to figure out that you're looking at a plum full, ripe and ready to blow, landfill.

They started putting pressure valves and monitor gauges on them a few years ago. Once the pressure hits a certain level, an automatic flint of sorts lights a "wick" which burns off the methane coming up through the pipelines in the ground. This in turn reverses the chance of an explosion.

They have been researching how to put the methane to use, instead of burning it off. You can see these "wicks" burning at night at many of the older landfills. It's kind of eerie, to tell the truth... Knowing that all of that gas is down there boiling. And you have to add the fact that decomp of all our non recycled garbage also creates a prime environment for spontaneous combustion anyway....

Just something else to ponder on, in not such a good way. LOL!
pop

Dunmor, KY

#63724 Jul 18, 2012
Still falling
OhioJeepGirl

Prestonsburg, KY

#63727 Jul 18, 2012
Awe! Honey is grabbing covers and yanking them over LOL My tapping must be bugging him. I better get off here for now. Yeah, I just got "the look" too!

Been a great evening! I am sooooo glad you have come back.

Till next time....Good night and ((Hugs))

Will read about the dragons triangle...no clicking.=)

Location hidden

#63728 Jul 18, 2012
pop wrote:
Still falling
Not to mention that recently there were approximately 700 plus Penguins that washed ashore somewhere within the last month or so.

I don't recall right now where it was, but that is an astounding amount of Penguins who died all at once, yet they are calling it "natural causes"?

C'mon now! That many of them dying all at once, washing ashore at the same time, and it's due to NATURAL CAUSES?? Bull manure.

Location hidden

#63729 Jul 18, 2012
OhioJeepGirl wrote:
Awe! Honey is grabbing covers and yanking them over LOL My tapping must be bugging him. I better get off here for now. Yeah, I just got "the look" too!
Been a great evening! I am sooooo glad you have come back.
Till next time....Good night and ((Hugs))
Will read about the dragons triangle...no clicking.=)
You have a blessed evening. And thank you for such a nice chat. I think a lot of the missing in action posters will eventually gather again. This thread has turned around....

God bless, and sleep well! Chat tomorrow!
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#63730 Jul 19, 2012
Well it is not quite daylight hours, but the dog needed [email protected] You spoke of similarities among many of the threaders. Except for the Biker, some of what you posted made me believe I had a twin sister somewhere. LOL Even down to our choices of residential area. Remote with woods.

In the old days, the rain barrels were the oak stave barrels one could obtain from the distilleries but there is such a market for those cut in half for flower pots that the price of a 1/2 barrel is $30 to $40.

I have found white 55 gallon plastic drums at around $8. One needs to know about prior contents. For those formerly filled with cleaners and things like ARMOR ALL, those can be used for gasoline or kerosene. For water storage, it would be best to find one previously filled with Cola syrups and such.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#63731 Jul 19, 2012
More @ Nope.. You spoke of drowned bodies rising in summer months versus winter.
I am not a scientist or chemist by no means, but there is a weight differential between cold water and warm. As the temperature changes on the surface, the surface waters and the bottom waters tend to trade places and that brings up decaying particles and the lakes turn to the color of our favorite drink (having some now) and fisherman tend to say that "the lake is turning over" and expert fishermen will adjust their methods accordingly.
Honey.. and sorghum molasses can be stored for sweetners. A cup of Joe with a 1/2 teaspoon of sorghum is quite good. Shelf Life is indefinite.
Power... I liked you statement that a loss might make you sweat, but not "sweat it". I have the old kerosene lamps with an ample supply of lamp oil that smells better than kerosene.
Heat.. I am making a wood burning stove with a 30 gallon metal drum inside a 50, with the space in between filled with sand to eliminate the need for fire brick. Door and flu kits may be purchased much cheaper than buying a pre-built stove.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#63732 Jul 19, 2012
The dog is back, so we will zzzzzzz some more. Good Day to All. Click.
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#63733 Jul 19, 2012
One last post before the zzzzzzzs. You spoke of the Cumberland. One of the first Civil War battles in Kentucky was the "Battle of Mill Springs" near Fishing Creek on what is now the Cumberland Lake.

With all of Kentucky's rivers at that time, Abraham Lincoln said "I would hope that GOD is on my side, but I must have Kentuky. If I lose Kentucky, I lose the war". DOUBLE CLICK
abc

Owensboro, KY

#63734 Jul 19, 2012
Hi, AW! All dogs must choose around this time to need out. My boxer pup should grow out of this, right? I am so glad Abeliever sounds 'herself' again.
jct777

Cincinnati, OH

#63735 Jul 19, 2012
histoplasmosis
Ancient Wolf

Nicholasville, KY

#63736 Jul 19, 2012
abc wrote:
Hi, AW! All dogs must choose around this time to need out. My boxer pup should grow out of this, right? I am so glad Abeliever sounds 'herself' again.
No, sorry... Just as old folks need to get up and go, so do old dogs. But I prefer that over going inside. My dog comes and climbs up on the side of my bed and I have become accustomed to waking up with a dog nose right in my face. now Triple Click... Good Day

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paducah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jill Baird 3 min Eatatwinkie 6
Drop a word, add a word (Nov '12) 4 min tat tat 9,327
Keep A Word - Drop A Word (Feb '10) 13 min Muzik man 6,099
Superstar 19 min Mrs Tootsie 4
Once u go black u neva go back :) (Sep '10) 20 min Wish U d think 27
Drug house on MLK across from AJ's liquor 36 min Lockemup 13
Shelbie Mize/Kingcade 53 min Curious 11

Paducah Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance