marquette transportation

Posted in the Paducah Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
weezy

United States

#1 Jul 26, 2012
I have worked with Marquette transportation for a little while now. I'm hoping other employees will speak thier mind about the things going on here and maybe it will open some eyes in the higher ups. For example, the rumor of a 42/21 schedule, the lack of deck crew and engine room help, favoritism for wheelhouse employees, day after and late off time crew changes, lower level pay rates, and pulling steersman back on deck because they won't hire people. Speak ur mind and maybe things will change.
towboaterwife

Belvidere, IL

#2 Jul 26, 2012
My husband works for Marquette and I can't stand it. He is screwed over all the time and I have never thought it would be like that. Something needs to change its wrong.
river rat

United States

#3 Jul 26, 2012
The no south bound crewchanges for employees... Oh except for wheelman.. Is rediculous. I have gotten off several days late because of this policy. They sure want you back early even though you have lost some of your off time which isn't much to start with.
huh?

United States

#4 Jul 26, 2012
What 42/21 schedule? I didn't hear about that yet. I will be quitting if that happens fo sho!!!!!!!
twista

Schaumburg, IL

#5 Jul 26, 2012
towboaterwife wrote:
My husband works for Marquette and I can't stand it. He is screwed over all the time and I have never thought it would be like that. Something needs to change its wrong.
Hey girl, I completely fill your pain. My husband works on the boat too and I can't tell you how many times they have screwed his schedule up and he hasn't gotten off the boat when he was supposed to. If they start making people ride 6 weeks at a time I wonder how many pissed off employees will quit to go to a better company. I think it's a stupid idea because it's bad enough now when there are so many people with families. In my opinion, I think all those office people need to get off their ass and leave their families for a month and a half and see how it feels to miss out on babies first steps or words, losing first tooth, Christmas's, birthdays, etc..... Then still say its a good idea..... I hope this gets around and people see what this company is trying to do and hopefully stop the changes before its too late and a lot of people quit!
towboaterwife

Niles, IL

#6 Jul 26, 2012
And then when u call dispatch b/c of a problem at home and u can't get ahold of them on their cells the dispatch don't care and don't even contact the boat they just go back to bed. It's some bs!
twista

Schaumburg, IL

#7 Jul 26, 2012
towboaterwife wrote:
And then when u call dispatch b/c of a problem at home and u can't get ahold of them on their cells the dispatch don't care and don't even contact the boat they just go back to bed. It's some bs!
Yup I agree! They are on land with their husbands, wives, kids and don't care about anyone else but themselves. I miss my hubby so much and the kids do too but the whole 6 week thing will be absurd!!!
Well

United States

#8 Jul 26, 2012
If you can't handle being a tow boat wife either get a divorce or lay the law down for him to quit. Tow boat life is what it is! No tow boat company is better than the other my husband has worked for several. You either adapt or you won't survive.
twista

Schaumburg, IL

#9 Jul 26, 2012
Well wrote:
If you can't handle being a tow boat wife either get a divorce or lay the law down for him to quit. Tow boat life is what it is! No tow boat company is better than the other my husband has worked for several. You either adapt or you won't survive.
Wow! Can you say rude! I deal with my husband being gone but company's changing there policy from 28 days to 42 days gone is ridiculous. You must be one of those wives who don't care if the husband is coming or going as long as you have that money to spend
Well

United States

#10 Jul 26, 2012
No actually you got that all wrong! I don't spend my husbands check! I work 2 full time jobs and go to school. He does it because he loves it and enjoys the river. Yes, I miss him like crazy and I do have an opinion about it but its a paycheck and it feeds their families. When they sign up to go on a tow boat they know what the circumstances may be so why get mad!
bingo

United States

#11 Jul 26, 2012
twista wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow! Can you say rude! I deal with my husband being gone but company's changing there policy from 28 days to 42 days gone is ridiculous. You must be one of those wives who don't care if the husband is coming or going as long as you have that money to spend
no....what she is saying is that you have a choice. The company does what is financially best for it. If you dont like the company, schedule, policies, practices, or procedures, then have your husband or wife get a different job. If you cant find a better job, then stop complaining. I am a veteran, was a towboater, and now work in an ofgice setting within the marine industry. I know about hardships, fulfilling job obligations you signed up for, the sacrifice family members have to make, and deciding when its time to better yourself if you can or just transition to a job better suited for your family. Crying about it on topix wont change anything.
bingo

United States

#12 Jul 26, 2012
Office*
towboaterwife

Niles, IL

#13 Jul 26, 2012
Well I don't have a problem with my husband working on the river he has done it for a long time and he loves it! I have a problem when someone is suppose to do their job and they don't. When a family has an emergency b/c a child is very sick and going into the hospital or their wife and they suppose to contact a boat b/c it's their job then they need to do it and not just go back to sleep or egnore the problem. That's what it wrong.
Well

United States

#14 Jul 26, 2012
Then you need to take it up with the dispatcher or the port captain of the office not get on a drama starting website. I have never had a problem getting in touch with my husband and he works for Marquette! There are other ways to handle the problem. You downing the company he works for and them finding out who you are can cost him his job as well.
bingo

United States

#15 Jul 26, 2012
towboaterwife wrote:
Well I don't have a problem with my husband working on the river he has done it for a long time and he loves it! I have a problem when someone is suppose to do their job and they don't. When a family has an emergency b/c a child is very sick and going into the hospital or their wife and they suppose to contact a boat b/c it's their job then they need to do it and not just go back to sleep or egnore the problem. That's what it wrong.
I believe that a dispatcher should service his internal customers to the best of his/her ability, but in such industries going to the hospital is not deemed an emergency. If someone is being hospitalized or their life is in danger, that is a different story. There are also was to submit a formal complaint. Your husband should speak with his Captain. If he cant get satisfaction there, he should ask to speak with his operations manager. If he cant get satisfaction there, he sould take it further up the chain of command. If you still dont get what you percieve as the correct answer, well life isnt fair and you are back to your choice. Suck it up or find other employment if you can.
weezy

United States

#16 Jul 26, 2012
This is getting comical. I will find another job if this goes through and if things don't change, I will be also. Have been out here for 12 years and this isn't my first rodeo
whodat

United States

#17 Jul 26, 2012
I aint seen noone downing the company just talking about what they dnt like about it
smh

United States

#18 Jul 26, 2012
if u never have worked on the river this company is not the one to start with they treat you like shit work you into a heat stroke!!! and they dont care even the higher ups i wudnt waste my breathe tryin to tell them waste of time trust me
seriously

Murfreesboro, TN

#19 Jul 26, 2012
Just shit the f up and get off ur fat ass and do something. Posting her and bit Ching isn't going to fix it. You ignorant woman! Seriously get a hobby or job
And stop spending
His paycheck
bingo

United States

#20 Jul 26, 2012
smh wrote:
if u never have worked on the river this company is not the one to start with they treat you like shit work you into a heat stroke!!! and they dont care even the higher ups i wudnt waste my breathe tryin to tell them waste of time trust me
Then go to a new company! If you dont, its because you cant. Other companies have stricter hiring practices. In reality a lot of people at marquette and james are lucky to be employed.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paducah Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Charles Milton 14 min Shae shae 1
Milam c 32 min Shae shae 1
Dnttrstadanil 45 min Shae shae 1
Wwshd 57 min All lives matter 5
Pervs 1 hr So what 2
Absolutely Silent Aircraft? 1 hr Lucifer 37
Family expose 1 hr WTF 2
Boudreauxs 10 hr BELIEVER 64

Paducah Jobs

More from around the web