History of Paden City
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Linda

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 4, 2006
Can anyone help me find info on the history of Paden City? When was it founded? By who? How did it get its name, etc?
Bob

Clear Spring, MD

#2 Jul 9, 2006
Linda wrote:
Can anyone help me find info on the history of Paden City? When was it founded? By who? How did it get its name, etc?
If you have not received and answer yet,I am willing to help.
Hoppy

United States

#3 Aug 1, 2006
Paden City was founded in 1903 and named after the Paden family who were early settlers.
At one time there were several industries in Paden City, but most left sometime in the 30's. Paden City Glass House and Paden City Pottery lasted intil the early 50's. Paden City Glass is very collectable as well as pottery ware. Corning operated a plant here for severl years, that was relocated several years ago. Presently there is a colored plate glass factory, marble factory, shirt factory, window manafacturer and a distribution center. There is a local museum that has a detailed history of the town.
thelma byler

Bellville, OH

#4 Sep 28, 2006
Linda wrote:
paden city was founded by obadiah paden. he came from padenburg scotland to lancaster pa. he settled there to farm the land. he biult four homes for his children who helped him farm the land. his home is now gone, but the other homes still exist. the town was named after obadiah paden in 1796. there is more info but i don't know very much. thats about it.
sam smith

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Jan 11, 2007
HI...The Town's museum is very good. If you visit the City Park you will see a historical sign that greatly details the history of paden city....it was prepared by O.O. Brown and myself. You can reach me at [email protected] if you like. Sam
cbchapelle NYC NY

New York, NY

#6 Mar 8, 2007
Would anyone know if the Padens were slave holders? I believe there was a family named Paden who owned slaves. Virginia? Not certain. Where does the name originate? Thanks.
Anthony

United States

#7 Apr 11, 2007
actually i'm not sure if the padens were slave holders, but i live in paden city and i know there is a house that leads to the underground railroad, but the tunnel is collapsed
Anthony

United States

#8 Apr 11, 2007
actually i don't know if the padens were slave holders but i know there is a slave house, and there is a tunnel for the underground railroad.
Jerry

Russellville, AR

#9 Jun 30, 2007
Yes the Padens were slave holders and Obadiah's will specified to whom each was given.
Mike Leu

AOL

#10 Jul 7, 2007
Linda wrote:
You may be interested in obtaining a cookbook produced by the Paden City Museum and Cultural Center entitled "Recipes and Remembrances" that has several historical accounts and some great recipes as well. The address is The Paden City Museum and Cutural Center, 108 W. Main St., PC, WV 26159
barb hardy

Greens Fork, IN

#11 Jul 9, 2007
My grandmother, mother, and I went to Paden City to visit. My grandmother is a Paden and it was a very nice place. Our new friend Jim Paden was so nice to us and showed us all around town. It was so nice we can't wait to get back again. I suggest to anyone to go and see the awesome town and the absolutely amazing people who live there and keep the heritage of the town alive.
barb hardy

Greens Fork, IN

#12 Jul 9, 2007
Also, the Padens were slave owners. If you go to the family graveyard, you can see the marked graves of the slaves. The town really is full of so much to see.
Dee

United States

#13 Jul 14, 2007
There were three houses in Paden City with underground tunnels that led to the river. These tunnels were used to helped slaves to escape.

“Life is great!”

Since: Apr 07

WV

#14 Jul 14, 2007
Dee wrote:
There were three houses in Paden City with underground tunnels that led to the river. These tunnels were used to helped slaves to escape.
Where were these houses located? Are they still there?
Dee

Ithaca, NY

#15 Jul 16, 2007
One is located on Third Avenue, another on Main Street, and the last on Bolen Road. The tunnels have all fell in.

“Life is great!”

Since: Apr 07

WV

#16 Jul 16, 2007
Dee wrote:
One is located on Third Avenue, another on Main Street, and the last on Bolen Road. The tunnels have all fell in.
Thanks for the info.
Barbara Parker

Paramount, CA

#17 Oct 12, 2007
My grandfather James Scott McCoy use to own and run a "honky tonk" saloon in Paden city some years ago. My mother, Catherine McCoy use to sing there. I know it could still not be there but wonder if anyone would know the whereabouts of the location?
Christianna

United States

#18 Dec 10, 2008
Paden City is a very small town but it does have alot of history that goes behind it esp abt the pottery & glass making. There is also another tunnel near the turn around that was used for the underground railroad & is still standing today.
Lora

Winchester, VA

#19 Dec 16, 2008
Barbara Parker wrote:
My grandfather James Scott McCoy use to own and run a "honky tonk" saloon in Paden city some years ago. My mother, Catherine McCoy use to sing there. I know it could still not be there but wonder if anyone would know the whereabouts of the location?
It could be the "Silver Star" (aka Bloody Bucket) on west Main St. about a block and a half east of the river. It burned down around 1967 or 68.
Lora

Winchester, VA

#20 Dec 16, 2008
It could be the "Silver Star" (aka Bloody Bucket) on west Main St. about a block and a half east of the river. It burned down around 1967 or 68.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paden City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Wed cabin creek Cu m 4,010
Wetzel County Bigfoot Mar 15 Dumboascends 4
attention cry babies of pine grove !!!! Feb '17 YwontRoycollectMy... 10
Nice site about New Martinsville Jan '17 Stevensen 1
Robert Fletcher Jan '17 Sir Soilder ex 3
Owner of McDonalds in New Martinsville !!! (Jul '07) Dec '16 Ray Walker Sardis 43
News Mister Bee's Lets Chips Fall Where They May (Jun '06) Nov '16 Pro WV 91

Paden City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paden City Mortgages