Lingle is urged to veto school bill

There are 11 comments on the May 27, 2008, Honolulu Star-Bulletin story titled Lingle is urged to veto school bill. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Some Laupahoehoe residents are trying to block new legislation they fear could lead to their rural school's demise.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 08

Aiea, HI

#46 May 28, 2008
kailuan wrote:
<quoted text>
sorry , my bad . hanabada goes back farther .
Hi

I was just joking with you.:)

Aloha,
Jodan

Kihei, HI

#47 May 28, 2008
They better not close Kaiser or I will sick Fifidog after them! Fifidog is a proud Cougar graduate. We love Kaiser and will not stand still if they try and close the school. We will march on the legislature and let them hear our wrath! GO COUGARS!!!
Jory

Kihei, HI

#48 May 28, 2008
lolo popolo wrote:
<quoted text>actually it's hanabutter
Not, it's hana budda and hana okolele you mut!

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#49 May 28, 2008
Reread please wrote:
<quoted text>The article is referring to small schools in the Castle, Kailua, Farrington, etc. Complex. Not those actual schools. I too had to reread the paragraph because it sounded like it wanted to close those schools
Then I stand corrected. Thanks for letting me know.
Local Girl

Marietta, GA

#50 May 28, 2008
To try to consolidate rural schools is absurd. Take, for example, Kahuku H.S. There is not another H.S. around for many miles. The closest are Castle and Waialua, both also listed for possible closure - you would have to be busing kids for nearly an hour just to get to school - which would increase transportation costs, as well. It sounds like they are trying to close all the schools on the Windward Side of O'ahu! What kind of nonsense is that? I understand there may be a need for consolidation for schools with low attendance rates, and that could work well with URBAN schools that are close together. But when you are looking at rural schools that have nothing else even close around them, it just won't work. Also, have they looked into cutting costs elsewhere - like at the TOP? Don't make these kids suffer needlessly. Especially the rural kids!
jktwo

Honolulu, HI

#51 May 29, 2008
"By the way, can someone explain why Kaiser is on the list and Kalani is not? According city-data.com , Kaiser is rated above Kalani and while there are about 125 fewer students at Kaiser, the facilities are much better there."
Lantern, you are so right. I'm with you on getting rid of Kalani (older school, more to fix) than Kaiser (built in the 70's). Why not get rid of Wailupe too and join it with Aina Haina (much higher rated and they have a strong PTA).
BonnieJean Coburn

Las Vegas, NV

#52 May 30, 2008
There are good people everywhere that need access to a good school environment. Kahuku is so to speak a feeder school into BYU-Hi.or other colleges and thus makes a profound impact for those who seek a college education. Location, location, location is everything to success.
blindsided again

Hauula, HI

#53 Jun 1, 2008
Communities get together and voice your opinion. Let's organize a day, where all the schools mentioned rally downtown and let lingle know exactly what we think of this bill. Meyers and Magaoay you best represent us informed and honestly, or you will be out. Make no mistake about that one. Don't do things behind our back and let us know once it is up for vote. NO COMMUNITY COMMUNICATION ON THIS ONE. Let's go rural communities. Let our voices be heard.
Red Raider For Life!!
MM- big island

Waipahu, HI

#54 Jun 6, 2008
Closing of Honokaa, Lapahoehoe, Hilo, Waiakea....where are the kids supposed to go to school? Other schools like Kealakehe, Keaau, are already over crowded! This does not seem right! We do need to have local governing school boards! How do we start?
MM- big island

Waipahu, HI

#55 Jun 6, 2008
Closing of schools-Try google Hawaii State legislature bill 2972. Look under TESTIMONY BY GEORGINA K. KAWAMURA DIRECTOR,DEPARTMENT OF BUDGET AND FINANCE STATE OF HAWAII. It's all about money and the BIA- Building Industry Association. Would the legislature put our children's education at stake for money? Seems like they're considering it. Take a look for yourself...
some

Kapaau, HI

#56 Jun 6, 2008
MM- big island wrote:
Closing of schools-Try google Hawaii State legislature bill 2972. Look under TESTIMONY BY GEORGINA K. KAWAMURA DIRECTOR,DEPARTMENT OF BUDGET AND FINANCE STATE OF HAWAII. It's all about money and the BIA- Building Industry Association. Would the legislature put our children's education at stake for money? Seems like they're considering it. Take a look for yourself...
here is the testimony......

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2008/Tes...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paauilo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Despite recent downpours, rainfall down signifi... Sat District 1 12
Review: Hernandez Connie ND Apr 2 JAYNE T 1
News Frozen apple pie is a Big Island favorite Jan '15 lanigirl 1
News Weekly gas report: Price for regular unleaded f... Jan '15 Joann jacomb 1
News A yen for da boom Dec '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Stolen Hawaii Red Cross truck found on Oahu (Sep '14) Nov '14 I See a Haole 8
News About Town | 8-29-14 (Aug '14) Aug '14 Dody Clifford 1
More from around the web

Paauilo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]