Lingle is urged to veto school bill

Lingle is urged to veto school bill

There are 51 comments on the Honolulu Star-Bulletin story from May 27, 2008, titled Lingle is urged to veto school bill. In it, Honolulu Star-Bulletin reports that:

Some Laupahoehoe residents are trying to block new legislation they fear could lead to their rural school's demise.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Honolulu Star-Bulletin.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Von

Aiea, HI

#1 May 27, 2008
There are so many ways to trim the fat from the State without bothering the little ones again.

Maybe they can't speak up so that is way they always get the short end of the deal.

In my opinion
DevilDog

Makawao, HI

#2 May 27, 2008
There's not enough money to repair and maintain all the existing schools. Too many schools are run down. Closing underused schools would make this money go further and improve the physical quality of those that remain open.
localandstaying

Honolulu, HI

#3 May 27, 2008
Can't we designate a certain amount of funds for these schools and let them cut where it needs to be cut. Charter schools are like this yes? Just can't say schools will always have a low enrollment.
Arlene

Lahaina, HI

#4 May 27, 2008
The government should look at cutting a lot of pork from other areas of the State administration. So many State workers. Need to privatize for a more efficient government. Put jobs out for bidding, such as maintaining our parks. Bidding will save money.
lolo popolo

Kahului, HI

#5 May 27, 2008
DevilDog wrote:
There's not enough money to repair and maintain all the existing schools. Too many schools are run down. Closing underused schools would make this money go further and improve the physical quality of those that remain open.
that's a big if the monies allocated for the closed down schools go fully to the ones remaining open......raiding someone elses funds to suit their needs has been common practice
baffled

Honolulu, HI

#6 May 27, 2008
There's a school budget survey on this site http://www.boe.k12.hi.us/
Von

Aiea, HI

#7 May 27, 2008
Arlene wrote:
The government should look at cutting a lot of pork from other areas of the State administration. So many State workers. Need to privatize for a more efficient government. Put jobs out for bidding, such as maintaining our parks. Bidding will save money.
That's my girl!:)
Benny

Honolulu, HI

#8 May 27, 2008
Maybe they can put homeless people in the vacant schools. The schools have restrooms/washroom facilties (although not full-on showers), and they have cafeterias. Just a thought.
concerned

Honolulu, HI

#10 May 27, 2008
Why downsize on the students facilities?!

They should start downsizing from the top....BOE/DOE.

It shouldn't be that cost be cut and in doing so...it will be at the students/parents expense.

If this happens...what? are schools/parents gonna be charged for gasoline to bus these students to nearby schools? Laupahoehoe is a 20 to 30 minute drive to Honokaa or more with the traffic in the morning.
Fifi dog

Kapaa, HI

#11 May 27, 2008
Maybe in the infinite wisdom of the DOE they'll be able to re-design the schools to have teachers teach multiple courses at multiple levels. Laupahoehoe may have 3 teachers in the K to 6 level and the High school may have 4 teachers in the 7 to 12 level. Forget Trig and Calculus go back to basics like soapmaking, gardening, housekeeping etc.
noname

Wailuku, HI

#12 May 27, 2008
Doesn't the Board of Ed already have the duty to do what this bill proposes to do? The BOE needs to do their job. Isn't it time we start paying our BOE members so they can do their job?
mhmmm

Hilo, HI

#13 May 27, 2008
close down the school.... how does a school with a 200 enrollment missing their annual progress benchmarks? shut it down!
Thom1s

Honolulu, HI

#14 May 27, 2008
VETO PLEASE wrote:
DOE AND THE BOARD cant even take care of itself.......Horrible record keeping! Now you want to add another group to the mix......YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! What a waste of money....Im sure if you got the TEACHERS together they will have an answer for you! OH but their hands are tied behind their back by their BOSS!
As a teacher, I DO have an answer for you: vote for a Constitutional Convention and eradicate this obscenely bloated DOE ad-hocracy that now sucks up nearly three BILLION dollars per year. Not one -- REPEAT ONE -- desk driving DOE bureaucrat will lose his or her job for the rotten performance, but small schools are to be eliminated? What does it take? Getting hit upside the head with a 2 x 4 before the public wakes up and DEMANDS REAL -- locally controlled -- school districts at county and subcounty levels with officials who can be held ACCOUNTABLE for MEASURABLE results. DOE is a cancer on the children and the future of this state!
Beebs

Honolulu, HI

#15 May 27, 2008
mhmmm wrote:
close down the school.... how does a school with a 200 enrollment missing their annual progress benchmarks? shut it down!
I bet you wouldn't be able to pass their test. So you're suggesting crowding another school that's not passing. Yeah that makes more sense.

Anyhow, I agree with the others, cut the fat at the top.
save the schools

Honolulu, HI

#16 May 27, 2008
If the l5,000 educational officers donated $10 a month or $120 a year we would have $1,800,000 in our fund to save our schools. It seems to me that small schools perform much better than large schools. Why eliminate a good thing. The DOE BULLY always picks on the small guys where their is not much noise. Norman Sakamoto the senate educational chairman is trying to make himself look good on this issue. He has truly become a great politician especially in the area of our failing public school system. What are they talking about? Streamline the districts? They must be driving in reverse. Streamline from the top and not from the bottom.
JAnhalt - Hilo

Palm Desert, CA

#17 May 27, 2008
You need local school boards, not a big bureaucracy in Honolulu collecting fat checks and doig nothing for the outlying areas. How can a single school board possibly know the problems in the outlying schools? Local school board will go a long way to solving many of the problems of inferior education ion the state of Hawaii. Governor Lingle has tried to accomplish having local school boards and has been blocked by the Democrats in the Legislature. Keep this and other problems in mind next time you vote for these incompetent incumbents.

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#18 May 27, 2008
Idiotic. They want to consider closing Castle, Kailua and Kalaheo on the Winward side of O'ahu. Where the hell the kids supposed to go to school? Kahuku?

This smells like dirty, strong-arm tactics on the part of the state legislature to me.

And "JAnhalt-Hilo" is right. Hawai'i needs local school boards throughout the 50th state, not this nonsensical statewide BOE that's throwing our tax dollars down the toilet only to provide mediocre education.

It's time we throw out the bureaucrats before they cause more damage to our state.
Kalakalopponea

Aiea, HI

#22 May 27, 2008
Can I open a school on Koolohawe?
zee oh six

Honolulu, HI

#23 May 27, 2008
wow, she posted?
too bad we can't declare the Legislature a state emergency.
John Kamaka

San Diego, CA

#24 May 27, 2008
Thom1s wrote:
<quoted text>
As a teacher, I DO have an answer for you: vote for a Constitutional Convention and eradicate this obscenely bloated DOE ad-hocracy that now sucks up nearly three BILLION dollars per year. Not one -- REPEAT ONE -- desk driving DOE bureaucrat will lose his or her job for the rotten performance, but small schools are to be eliminated? What does it take? Getting hit upside the head with a 2 x 4 before the public wakes up and DEMANDS REAL -- locally controlled -- school districts at county and subcounty levels with officials who can be held ACCOUNTABLE for MEASURABLE results. DOE is a cancer on the children and the future of this state!
Yes, get rid of some (most) of the ridiculous bloated 15,000 DOE supporting staff. If you owned a private company, would you hire 15,000 administrative personnel to manage your 11,000 workers who do the actual work?

Of course not, start cutting the useless top/middle management people who make way too much for their elitist positions.

Besides, getting rid of them now will save us taxpayers needed cash and future expenses such undeserved pensions.

Hawaii has a low unemployment ratio and we could use more "qualified" applicants for our job markets.

Besides, with their "connections" it won't be much of a problem finding employment? Just don't put them on our payroll.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Paauilo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Despite recent downpours, rainfall down signifi... (Apr '15) Nov '16 Tua Tua isa foa 12
glen hara considered legally insane as is his s... (Sep '16) Sep '16 MELODY PARKER CARS 1
ricky roy damerville being sued by fbi collage ... (Sep '16) Sep '16 ricky damerville ... 1
News Top 10 activities on Kauai, Hawaii (Jan '16) Jan '16 Josh 1
News Paauilo farm to host workshop (Sep '13) Oct '13 yep 2
date free (Sep '13) Sep '13 Man Setting 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Hawaii (Di... (Oct '10) Oct '10 les faceit 5

Paauilo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Paauilo Mortgages