First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

Keokuk, IA

#1 Nov 18, 2009
I've done some research on the Legendary Christian County Sheriff. I plan to mention him in my next book. I'd like to hear more about him. Anyone out there have any opinions or experiences they can share?
Butch

Branson, MO

#2 Nov 18, 2009
Fastgun wrote:
I've done some research on the Legendary Christian County Sheriff. I plan to mention him in my next book. I'd like to hear more about him. Anyone out there have any opinions or experiences they can share?
Have you talked to his wife?

Keokuk, IA

#3 Nov 18, 2009
Butch wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you talked to his wife?
No, I haven't. I have mainly looked at old microfilm, searched the internet and listened to stories from co-workers. I will probably mention him in my book but I have thought about writing a book about just him.
Jerry Lee

Wichita, KS

#4 Jan 20, 2010
As Buff was an ex-uncle, I can provide you with some tingling tidbits I would image.

Keokuk, IA

#5 Jan 20, 2010
Jerry Lee wrote:
As Buff was an ex-uncle, I can provide you with some tingling tidbits I would image.
I was born in Wichita. As you know, Buff was very controversial. I have mentioned him in my book and spoke to several people about him. I'd appreciate any information you can provide me with. I will use or not use In the book I portray Buff as the kind of love him or hate him...he got the job done kind of guy. If you'd like, I'll use your name in the book. If you'd prefer I didn't, I won't.
Jerry Lee

Wichita, KS

#6 Jan 20, 2010
Fastgun wrote:
<quoted text>
I was born in Wichita. As you know, Buff was very controversial. I have mentioned him in my book and spoke to several people about him. I'd appreciate any information you can provide me with. I will use or not use In the book I portray Buff as the kind of love him or hate him...he got the job done kind of guy. If you'd like, I'll use your name in the book. If you'd prefer I didn't, I won't.
Controversial...you got that right! I do not know just how far back your research extends, but Buff married into the family back when I was a small boy. Growing up and becomming an an LEO myself, on visits to Ozark I'd rode with him on several occasion. So I came to know how from both perspectives.
Uncertain as to what specific historical facts you are searching for, that which I could provide would probably best not be revealed in an open forum. Relatives still live in Ozark which may cause some dissention should I do so. I will say this, notwithstanding, Buff had a good side also. He led an interesting life in various venues from rodeo performer to pipeline construction.
Jerry Lee

Wichita, KS

#7 Jan 20, 2010
Ooooops, should have proof-read my posting. Change the '...know how' to read....know him.'
Traveler

United States

#8 Jan 21, 2010
"love him or hate him".

For the most part, those that knew him loved him (or at least understood and appreciated him). Those that didn't, if they pushed it, got the good fortune to make his aquaintance. An attitude adjusting experience it would seem.

While his methods might shock the extreemly civilized among us today, they worked and achieved the goal of his office. He was able to do more with less than any officer I have ever known.

Much is made of his toughness and the "his way" mentality. There are times when it mattered though, that you saw the other side of him.

He is missed.

Keokuk, IA

#9 Jan 25, 2010
Traveler wrote:
"love him or hate him".
For the most part, those that knew him loved him (or at least understood and appreciated him). Those that didn't, if they pushed it, got the good fortune to make his aquaintance. An attitude adjusting experience it would seem.
While his methods might shock the extreemly civilized among us today, they worked and achieved the goal of his office. He was able to do more with less than any officer I have ever known.
Much is made of his toughness and the "his way" mentality. There are times when it mattered though, that you saw the other side of him.
He is missed.
What about the Carol Blades murder? In the book, it is implied that he either participated or had inside knowledge of the murder. Once when interviewd about the murder in newspaper, he (Buff)said something to the affect "Can't we just forget about it (the murder?". I am interested in someone's opinion about the murder.
Redbud

United States

#10 Jan 25, 2010
He made a fine neighbor. My cattle were the safest in the county. Working late in the hay one evening, I came out of the field with nary a light on the trailer. Closing the gate, I heard a call, "Hey,come over here." Sitting on the front porch of his house south of town, Buff said: "Come over here for some ice tea." There, sitting on the porch behind the glow of several cigarettes were at least three Highway Patrol officers. Buff introduced me all around. We drank ice tea and visited for about an hour. In parting, Buff said: "You might want to get them lights looked at." Buff made it known to the officers that I was OK because I had bush hogged the dense weeds across from his rented house. Apparently, someone had taken a shot at him from the land I rented. He showed me earlier the bullet hole in the door frame of a shed. A very close call. We have to remember the violence we had in the county at that time.
Traveler

United States

#11 Jan 25, 2010
Fastgun wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the Carol Blades murder? In the book, it is implied that he either participated or had inside knowledge of the murder. Once when interviewd about the murder in newspaper, he (Buff)said something to the affect "Can't we just forget about it (the murder?". I am interested in someone's opinion about the murder.
That is a tool that is mis-used far too often. Implying, leaving doubt, confusing the issue, take your pick. If someone has any substancial evidence supporting such a claim I would hope they would be so civic minded that they would bring it to light. Not hide in the weeds and imply. You asked, I felt the need to give you a honest response.
Traveler

United States

#12 Jan 25, 2010
Pardon the mis-spellings.
Redbud

United States

#13 Jan 25, 2010
Traveler wrote:
<quoted text>That is a tool that is mis-used far too often. Implying, leaving doubt, confusing the issue, take your pick. If someone has any substancial evidence supporting such a claim I would hope they would be so civic minded that they would bring it to light. Not hide in the weeds and imply. You asked, I felt the need to give you a honest response.
I agree with Traveler. Clay Hodges, Cecil Clinton, and a lot of good lawmen in the area thought a lot of Buff. The trail had grown cold on the Blades case. Coffee shop gossip is not confined to hard evidence but rather hearsay.

Keokuk, IA

#14 Jan 26, 2010
Redbud wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with Traveler. Clay Hodges, Cecil Clinton, and a lot of good lawmen in the area thought a lot of Buff. The trail had grown cold on the Blades case. Coffee shop gossip is not confined to hard evidence but rather hearsay.
Redbud, if it's okay, I'm going to use your story in my book? If you want me to use your real name--let me know. That was very informative. As for the Carol Blades murder, if you haven't read the book, you might want to. It's very interesting. However I do agree that implicating him in the murder, would make for good coffee shop gossip. I think 150 years ago that Buff Lamb would have been more of a "town Tamer" than a Sheriff. Good or bad, he got the job done! As for Cecil Clinton, I worked with him many times. I knew him well.
Justin scobee

Mason, WV

#15 Jan 27, 2010
my great uncle was the Sheriff of reed springs mo George Scobee. My dad has all was told me storys about buff and said he was the meanest sun of a bitch around. my dad said he has seen buff pull people out of there cars and beat the for no reason. My dad said one day gearge scobee told him he new buff killed that girl and dump her in his town but he could not prove it. my dad said even if george could prove it he would walk. ever one was to afraid of him to say hey u killed he and even if they did my dad said buff would have probley have killed them. my dad said buff would pull up on u and ur girl friend why u was parked. doing the dirty things and he would make the guy walk home and rape the girl. my dad said there was not a thing buff did not have his finger in. to women drugs or guns u pay u ok kind of thing. my grandmother said she went in to a house with her boy friend at the time and buff was seting there and ur boy friend bought a bag of dope from him. my dad said he got pulled over by buff one time and buff got kocky with my dad and said my dad was geting mouthy and dad said he just new he was going to get the flash light. buff ask he for his ID and buff said are u ken to george scobee and dad said yes. buff told him to get out of his town and not come back.

well i dont no if any of this help u but i would like to buy one of ur books. how would i get one

thanks justin

i am glad i was not around back then. i would have got the flash light more than 1 time

Keokuk, IA

#16 Jan 28, 2010
Justin scobee wrote:
my great uncle was the Sheriff of reed springs mo George Scobee. My dad has all was told me storys about buff and said he was the meanest sun of a bitch around. my dad said he has seen buff pull people out of there cars and beat the for no reason. My dad said one day gearge scobee told him he new buff killed that girl and dump her in his town but he could not prove it. my dad said even if george could prove it he would walk. ever one was to afraid of him to say hey u killed he and even if they did my dad said buff would have probley have killed them. my dad said buff would pull up on u and ur girl friend why u was parked. doing the dirty things and he would make the guy walk home and rape the girl. my dad said there was not a thing buff did not have his finger in. to women drugs or guns u pay u ok kind of thing. my grandmother said she went in to a house with her boy friend at the time and buff was seting there and ur boy friend bought a bag of dope from him. my dad said he got pulled over by buff one time and buff got kocky with my dad and said my dad was geting mouthy and dad said he just new he was going to get the flash light. buff ask he for his ID and buff said are u ken to george scobee and dad said yes. buff told him to get out of his town and not come back.
well i dont no if any of this help u but i would like to buy one of ur books. how would i get one
thanks justin
i am glad i was not around back then. i would have got the flash light more than 1 time
That was very interesting & I will probably use that story. My book is not about "Buff Lamb" however I do devote a chapter to and about him. I was a police officer in a nearby small town & county (Webster) back then and am writing about my experiences as a "Small Town" cop in the early 1980's. I have already written & published one book. If you want your name attached to this story, I'll give you a place where you can email me. Thanks for the response.

Keokuk, IA

#17 Jan 29, 2010
Justin scobee wrote:
thanks justin
George Scobee: He was a former Stone County Deputy. But was he also a former Stone County Sheriff?
Justin scobee

Mason, WV

#18 Jan 30, 2010
fast gun, yes Gearge was a sheriff. He also own the skating ring in reeds springs. The building is still there. if u would give me a email a [email protected] my wife is wanting one of ur books. she love the old time storys. thanks justin
FASTGUN

Keokuk, IA

#19 Jan 30, 2010
Justin scobee wrote:
fast gun, yes Gearge was a sheriff. He also own the skating ring in reeds springs. The building is still there. if u would give me a email a [email protected] my wife is wanting one of ur books. she love the old time storys. thanks justin
I have emailed you.
From Ozark

Springfield, MO

#20 Feb 1, 2010
Fastgun wrote:
<quoted text>
That seems to be the norm when it comes to officers in Ozark, MO and Christian County. The current police cheif of Ozark laughs when asked about the murder of Rufus Church at Ozark Dodge, and then says he isn't going to talk about that. I wonder how much the police are paid off in Ozark.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ozark Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sparta water rates (Sep '10) Sat Water bill is too... 138
How to get something off topix lies!! Mar 21 Paladin 2
Attorney Joanna Billingsley (Oct '11) Mar 20 Beyondtiredofher 33
Review: Best Friends Animal Hospital - Jack Ger... (Feb '09) Mar 18 Long time customer 96
Sparta Town & Country Food Mar 18 Large Trojan 2
City of rogersville Mar 10 Taxpayers 3
Virginia Thrill posting Little House of Lies. N... (Feb '15) Mar 3 Jerrica 12

Ozark Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ozark Mortgages