Christian county commission

Christian county commission

Posted in the Ozark Forum

ozarker

United States

#1 May 1, 2012
I understood they brought all the cities and road districts in for a meeting. Lou told them that there would be no more sales tax split with them but the money would be put in a pot.The cities would loose out compdletely as in Ozark for instance would loose approximately $125,0000. But would not be able to compete for the funds in the pot.The road districts including the special road districts would have to compete with each other for the funds on a case by case basis. Originally the commissioners would have the say on how the money would be divided. How fair could that be when they have the most to gain from their own decisions.Then there was a suggestion to have a board that would have a member from each district. Lou thought that would be too many people. How boards usually work if you don't go with wishes of who appoints you you don't get reappointed. Between the City of Ozark and the Ozark Special Road District there will be at least $500,000 in sales tax money pulled away to put in the pot.
Voter

Norwood, MO

#2 May 1, 2012
Holy cow ,where did this come from?Can you explain how it's changed from before?
Voter

Norwood, MO

#3 May 1, 2012
Just noticed that I am very uninformed about how the finances of the road districts work.I know we have eastern and western districts in the county,and the cities ,I guess have Special road districts.Has anybody talked to the presumptive next eastern commmissioner ,our State rep.Ray Weter?Is he on board with that ?Also would be interesting where the other candidates stand.There is Danny Thompson(D) who retired from the(eastern?) road district,Eddie Campbell(R) former Ozark council man and Robert Palmer,retired enginier.Also,do Lou and Bill have the power to do that according to state law.
ozarker

United States

#4 May 1, 2012
Voter wrote:
Just noticed that I am very uninformed about how the finances of the road districts work.I know we have eastern and western districts in the county,and the cities ,I guess have Special road districts.Has anybody talked to the presumptive next eastern commmissioner ,our State rep.Ray Weter?Is he on board with that ?Also would be interesting where the other candidates stand.There is Danny Thompson(D) who retired from the(eastern?) road district,Eddie Campbell(R) former Ozark council man and Robert Palmer,retired enginier.Also,do Lou and Bill have the power to do that according to state law.
As Tom Chudomelka a former commissioner stated this tax was brought about by getting the cities and road districts behind the tax proposal years ago with the intent of them getting funding from this. Since the passage this has been done on a percentage basis. Now what you have is a presiding commissioner that probably didn't know where Christian County Missouri even was at the time of passage coming in and changing it to a political game to get funding rather than having a ratio that gets figured by the Treasurer. Lou states he has to know where the money is going. These road districts and cities go through audits.
voter

Norwood, MO

#5 May 2, 2012
Sounds like trouble to the uninformed person like me.I can't imagine this would have passed so easy if we had a sitting eastern commissioner who argues for his side and has a vote.Should not the treasurer Karen Matthews(?) have to weigh in on that,not to mention the city council men from the affected cities.Lou usually does right by the people so I'm anxious to see what happens here.
Reason

Sparta, MO

#6 May 3, 2012
The county commissioners tried to tell everyone they either needed more income or would have to cut expenses. The new tax was voted against so cuts have to be made.
The county commission has been giving half the taxes they collect to the road districts for repairs and maintenance. I am not sure how that half gets divided up between all the various areas that receive it, but if the county has no idea what it is to be used for, how will they know which road district has the most urgent need? Maybe they are trying to make sure the taxes go to the most needed projects in the entire county. There is no way to do that after the money has been divided between the road districts. This plan gives the opportunity for a central body to look at the needs of all of the county before dividing up a limited pot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ozark Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Nixa cop busted for beating girlfriend 19 hr Concerned 1
Review: Best Friends Animal Hospital - Jack Ger... (Feb '09) 20 hr Nancy 97
Lowe's Store Fri Pokie 1
News Nixa teacher and husband charged with child abuse (Sep '07) Jun 20 Beth 11
News Meyer's $57 million evangelism empire (Sep '09) Jun 18 UnRepented 13
Fat Woman Jun 16 chubbychaserdyke 4
News 20-Foot Python on the Loose in Ozarks After Pet... Jun 14 Moon Raker 2

Ozark Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance