Franklin County Half-Way House Offers...

Franklin County Half-Way House Offers Hope For Non-Violent Female O...

There are 49 comments on the 5News KFSM story from Jul 16, 2010, titled Franklin County Half-Way House Offers Hope For Non-Violent Female O.... In it, 5News KFSM reports that:

She is the owner of a multi-million dollar construction company, but few people know she was once a drug addict.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 5News KFSM.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
sara reames

Ardmore, OK

#1 Jul 16, 2010
why dont you worrie about our families and children instead of the crimanals who have chaosen to break the law???
i have three children in very close proxcimty to this what about them??
Granny of 12

Siloam Springs, AR

#2 Jul 16, 2010
if susan and martha care so much about these people let them keep them in their home ,not iour community!!!!!!!!
William

Fort Smith, AR

#4 Jul 16, 2010
I applaud the women for standing up and doing what they feel needs to be done! This is a wonderful thing being done... Thank you for caring about the people that society has turned their backs on and giving them a chance to prove that they have paid their debt and are ready to become a respected member of society...
Blaine

Van Buren, AR

#7 Jul 16, 2010
I would hope everyone will give this transitional house a chance to operate and succeed; As far being detramental to the area, only time will tell, I hope that the 80% success rate will climb; If it fails, then ya'll can say "I told ya so" Redemption, a sober choice, please let them try.
Beth

Hartman, AR

#8 Jul 16, 2010
The location they want to place 6 female Felons is in an isolated rural community with NO on-site supervision. As this is located in the county there is no regular police presence. By their own numbers (an 80% success rate) 2 of the 6 women will return to criminal activity. There are many children and elderly in this area. The women who are purposing placing it here do not even live here. This is the wrong location for a facility of this nature. I am not willing to gamble with the lives of my family and my neighbors families.
Mary

Dardanelle, AR

#9 Jul 17, 2010
Beth wrote:
The location they want to place 6 female Felons is in an isolated rural community with NO on-site supervision. As this is located in the county there is no regular police presence. By their own numbers (an 80% success rate) 2 of the 6 women will return to criminal activity. There are many children and elderly in this area. The women who are purposing placing it here do not even live here. This is the wrong location for a facility of this nature. I am not willing to gamble with the lives of my family and my neighbors families.
I agree with Beth. That is a BAD location to place such a facility. I used to live in Denning & I was afraid to travel in that area alone after dark. You would see people walking the roads acting suspicious almost all the time. Let's just stick felons in that area so they can be faced with the temptation to commit other crimes & perhaps get away with it cause of the location. If they wanna help people like this then put it in Ozark. There are other people in this world needing help besides felons. How about people that have lost their jobs & homes. What about women that are suffering from spousal abuse or things like that? THEY NEED MORE HELP THAN A CONVICTED FELON...
beverly

Ozark, AR

#10 Jul 17, 2010
keep up the good work susan ,,
concerned mom

Jacksonville, AR

#11 Jul 17, 2010
I don't live in the area but my child has to go to school about 2 1/2 miles from where this is being opened up, those of you that think this is wonderful, let's have it put next door to you and or your child's school and see if it is still a wonderful thing they are doing,
My concerns is what about the 20% who don't succeed?
Franklin County Resident

Siloam Springs, AR

#12 Jul 17, 2010
Martha, Susan and Carissa - I wish you best of luck. I will be at the meeting to give my support.

Remember, do not judge these paroled ladies. There is someone more superior than any of us to do that. We need to love these ladies and offer them our support.
formeremployee mdmoore

Fort Smith, AR

#13 Jul 17, 2010
I'm personally offended that the women will be *required* to attend church. Albeit, Arkansas is a very religious state, however, not everyone believes the same way. It's our constitutional right, as American citizens to have freedom of religion. I'm aware that these women did break the law, but I just think these people need a few good Drill Instructors from the US military branches to slap some sense into them physically and mentally. Send their asses to boot camp, and I bet they straighten out. Boot camp not enough? Try CC. If they're still doing the same thing after CC -- sorry sista, there's NO hope.

Religion should be an OPTION not a requirement. I don't care WHO you are!
Doris

Ozark, AR

#15 Jul 17, 2010
Franklin County Resident wrote:
Martha, Susan and Carissa - I wish you best of luck. I will be at the meeting to give my support.
Remember, do not judge these paroled ladies. There is someone more superior than any of us to do that. We need to love these ladies and offer them our support.
We are not judging these paroled ladies. We are saying that this is not the place for this type of housing. Rural,isolated, no way to supervise them staying on only Martha's property. Does any one realize that there will be no one on site to supervise (according to what Susan English said at the
Altus City Council Meeting last Thursday)? Get the full story before you jump on the band wagon. And if you are not willing to sponsor one of these ladies in your own home then don't tell me that they should be in my back yard!
Father of 5

Charlotte, NC

#18 Jul 17, 2010
I live about 1/2 a mile from this site, i have kept an open mind about these women and about the program they are attempting. After hearing Ms English's comments and looking at the facts i am opposed to this. There is 6 women with a 80 percent rate of rehabilitation,that means 1 or possibly 2 will do something to get sent back to prision. Secondly these are not first time offenders, they are all being released early from sentences for parole or probation violations which means they have had at least a second chance and possibly more. I assume when and if this house goes in the community we will be unaware of their presence 95 percent of the time, it's the other 5 percent i'm worried about.Ms English stated that that they will be allowed visitors on Saturdays which means 6 husbands, ex-husbands,boyfriends or a mixture possibly going by my house once a week. These women are repeat offenders ,im sure the men in their lives aren't chior boys. As far as the comments about people in this area being simple minded and conservative ,we are. We farm, work factories and raise children the way we were brought up and like it.Many on the same land for 4 and 5 generations,it's just not a good fit in this area.
Community Resident

Ozark, AR

#19 Jul 17, 2010
Joann wrote:
Some of the comments made are only an example of the narrow mindedness in this area of the state! I don't understand how you think these ladies are going to profit financially from this! Sounds as if more of you should follow the example of these ladies. Judge Not!
How can you say we are narrow minded? We have asked the people supporting this
program to take one or more of these paroled women into their own home and see
how it works for them. Not one person has offered to open their home and show
these women the support that you say they deserve. Show us by doing, what you
are saying is the right thing to do.
Carolyn Ivey

Hartman, AR

#20 Jul 17, 2010
I would like to believe that if I had a problem that I would have a second chance like this. I had an abusive first husband and there weren't any places at that time to go for help. Now there are. People who don't have these kinds of problems have no idea how the ones who do feel.
Community Resident

Ozark, AR

#21 Jul 17, 2010
Carolyn Ivey wrote:
I would like to believe that if I had a problem that I would have a second chance like this. I had an abusive first husband and there weren't any places at that time to go for help. Now there are. People who don't have these kinds of problems have no idea how the ones who do feel.
This has nothing to do with abused women needing a place to go. Know your facts! This is about
paroled felons, many of which have broken parole and have been in and out of prison because they
didn't want to follow the rules that society has set in place for everyone to follow (not just a
few). Yes, they need a place to go, but not a rural setting with no one to oversee them while they
are there. They need a place to go that is in an area that can offer them all the services they will
need and a place where they can be supervised and where the police can make sure that outside influence
from others doesn't compound the problems that they are dealing with already. Yes! Help them, but help
them in a way that is going to be beneficial to them not Martha.
Carolyn Ivey

Hartman, AR

#22 Jul 17, 2010
Community Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
This has nothing to do with abused women needing a place to go. Know your facts! This is about
paroled felons, many of which have broken parole and have been in and out of prison because they
didn't want to follow the rules that society has set in place for everyone to follow (not just a
few). Yes, they need a place to go, but not a rural setting with no one to oversee them while they
are there. They need a place to go that is in an area that can offer them all the services they will
need and a place where they can be supervised and where the police can make sure that outside influence
from others doesn't compound the problems that they are dealing with already. Yes! Help them, but help
them in a way that is going to be beneficial to them not Martha.
My comments were in 2 parts. I didn't paragraph correctly. Sorry I offended you. All of Arkansas is a rural area except for a few cities. Would you like to sponsor one of the women and make sure she had the proper supervision and care? I don't think you would have the guts to. You don't even have the guts to put your own name on your quote!
Sarah

Charleston, WV

#23 Jul 17, 2010
Well I have the guts to put my name! I think that if they want to put the house somewhere put it by a police station or someplace that has easier supervision. Not in a rural community surrounded by trees and land. And homes where there are young children running around playing and women who are home alone while their husbands are at work. They need to have proper supervision and care. They wont get any better if they are by thierselves! They will do what they want, when they want....just like they did to get in trouble in the first place. If these ladies really cared about themselves and their family they wouldn't have been in prison in the first place!!!
Anita McCormick

Ozark, AR

#24 Jul 17, 2010
Sorry ,I guess I'm judging,seems the Bible says"BY THEIR FRUITS YOU WILL KNOW THEM" MARTHA and Susan are in this for the DOLLAR!!!! YOU go to a community and discuss a matter such as this ;You don't force it on them, THAT is WRONG !!!IF you knew them like our community does you would be against this too. If they need housing and you like this so well,be our guest,you can have all six of them and all the others that WILL follow!!!
Anita McCormick

Ozark, AR

#25 Jul 17, 2010
To FRANKLIN ,CO Resident- how thoughtful of you ,we are only to happy to let you have this prision facility in your backyard. Are't we ever so kind . Wonder how well 3146you could sleep at night then
Angie Deck

Ozark, AR

#26 Jul 17, 2010
formeremployee mdmoore wrote:
I'm personally offended that the women will be *required* to attend church. Albeit, Arkansas is a very religious state, however, not everyone believes the same way. It's our constitutional right, as American citizens to have freedom of religion. I'm aware that these women did break the law, but I just think these people need a few good Drill Instructors from the US military branches to slap some sense into them physically and mentally. Send their asses to boot camp, and I bet they straighten out. Boot camp not enough? Try CC. If they're still doing the same thing after CC -- sorry sista, there's NO hope.
Religion should be an OPTION not a requirement. I don't care WHO you are!
These woman will have a "choice" about going to church, when they are interviewed they will be informed that this is one of the requirements to live in this house, if they don't want to attend church then they will simply have to find another place to live...we have found that "LOVE" goes a lot further and is more effective. GOD is LOVE!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ozark Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
anyone know ashley doolan? Jun '15 jba179226 1
herman Davis Jun '15 curious 1
anybody know johnny fortenberry? (May '09) May '15 kit5933 3
Parks Plantation History (Feb '11) May '15 ozarkstew 3
Female Praying Mantis in a Wig Feb '15 nic90 1
concerned parent Paris elementary school (Nov '14) Dec '14 Brandy 2
News Dona t miss Brussels Philharmonic at Cambridge ... (Nov '14) Nov '14 wacejacke 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ozark Mortgages