Ft. Rucker youth baseball 1969 - 1973

Ft. Rucker youth baseball 1969 - 1973

Posted in the Ozark Forum

John Earwood

United States

#1 Jan 3, 2009
looking for anyone who played YAC baseball in Ft. Rucker during 1969 - 1973

“Fort Rucker Relocation ”

Since: Oct 08

Port Orchard WA

#2 Jan 21, 2009
John: Best of luck in search for anyone who played basketball at Fort Rucker during 1969 - 1973. What does YAC stand for?
John Earwood

Decatur, GA

#3 Jan 30, 2009
Fort Rucker Relocation wrote:
John: Best of luck in search for anyone who played basketball at Fort Rucker during 1969 - 1973. What does YAC stand for?
It stands for Youth Activity Club

“Fort Rucker Relocation ”

Since: Oct 08

Port Orchard WA

#4 Feb 7, 2009
Thanks for the breakdown. I guess now it is no longer called the Youth Activity Club, so I was wondering what it stands for. Now, everything is ran by the Child Youth Services (CYS). Interesting to see how the name has changed over the years. Have you had any input or response to your post?
G Hester

Montgomery, AL

#5 Mar 29, 2009
John Earwood wrote:
looking for anyone who played YAC baseball in Ft. Rucker during 1969 - 1973
My brother, James Green played baseball at Fort Rucker, AL from 1968-1972.
Ernest Torns

White House, TN

#6 Sep 25, 2011
John, I was the only African-American Coach, during the 1969 Fort Rucker YAC. Matter of fact, I had a John that played for me. My team consisted of 1 African-American, and the rest White. During the picking of the teams, the other Coaches stuck me with what they considered lesser players; However, we turned out to be one of the best. I've often wondered what happened to my boys.
Rick Buxton

United States

#7 May 18, 2012
I played all YAC sports from 1969 through 1971.
John Earwood

Atlanta, GA

#8 May 27, 2012
Rick Buxton wrote:
I played all YAC sports from 1969 through 1971.
Yes you did...you were a league ahead of me..you were an excellent running back and I believe you had a Steve Ramsey on one of your football teams. You were a very good athlete. Thank you for replying, Rick
John Earwood

Atlanta, GA

#9 May 27, 2012
G Hester wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother, James Green played baseball at Fort Rucker, AL from 1968-1972.
yes, I played with James Green in both football and baseball. At that time he was a smaller guy but a heck of a baseball player and an all-star. I loved his father, SGT Green, who was always helping the coaches and loved the ball players. James had a very nice sister also. Thank you so much for replying...
John Earwood

Atlanta, GA

#10 May 27, 2012
Ernest Torns wrote:
John, I was the only African-American Coach, during the 1969 Fort Rucker YAC. Matter of fact, I had a John that played for me. My team consisted of 1 African-American, and the rest White. During the picking of the teams, the other Coaches stuck me with what they considered lesser players; However, we turned out to be one of the best. I've often wondered what happened to my boys.
What league did you coach Ernest? At that time I was on Captain Joyces minor league football team, the cowboys. I was voted best defensive back in the league, bruce howard won best offensive back, bruce was best defensive lineman and I don't recall best defensive lineman...in baseball during that time I was on the minor league coached by Major Ebberhart, The Braves, who won the championship...good times
John Earwood

Atlanta, GA

#11 May 27, 2012
Fort Rucker Relocation wrote:
Thanks for the breakdown. I guess now it is no longer called the Youth Activity Club, so I was wondering what it stands for. Now, everything is ran by the Child Youth Services (CYS). Interesting to see how the name has changed over the years. Have you had any input or response to your post?
I had 2 folks reply that played in that time frame: Rick Buxton who was a star athlete back then and James Green who was an all star that we actually played together on teams and tourney teams together.
John Earwood

Atlanta, GA

#12 May 27, 2012
John Earwood wrote:
<quoted text> Yes you did...you were a league ahead of me..you were an excellent running back and I believe you had a Steve Ramsey on one of your football teams. You were a very good athlete. Thank you for replying, Rick
Rick, I want to say you and I were the first players of the week in 1970. Col. Strange came around and took our pictures for the paper..right?
John Earwood

Atlanta, GA

#13 May 27, 2012
FYI: in 2005 I signed up and ran the Spookey 5K run and won the "Masters" with a time of 19:45. It was great being back on Ft. Rucker. Will be running this year also
Rick Buxton

Burnet, TX

#14 Jun 17, 2012
John, you have a better memory than I do. :) However, I do believe you are correct concerning the picture. I have great memories of my time in the YAC. My love for sports developed during my time at Ft. Rucker. The All Star games we played against other military bases were always the highlight of the year.
John Earwood

Atlanta, GA

#15 Nov 25, 2012
Ernest Torns wrote:
John, I was the only African-American Coach, during the 1969 Fort Rucker YAC. Matter of fact, I had a John that played for me. My team consisted of 1 African-American, and the rest White. During the picking of the teams, the other Coaches stuck me with what they considered lesser players; However, we turned out to be one of the best. I've often wondered what happened to my boys.
Earnest, did you know a Sgt. Decker who coached about the same time? I played on a tourney team with a Coach Jones who was an african american man. Really good man. Talk soon
John Earwood

Atlanta, GA

#16 Jan 26, 2013
G Hester wrote:
<quoted text>
My brother, James Green played baseball at Fort Rucker, AL from 1968-1972.
How is James doing. I remember you very well and your brother. Ft. Rucker sports was a very fun time in my life. Hope you are doing well.

John Earwood
johnearwood

Marietta, GA

#17 Jun 4, 2016
John Earwood wrote:
<quoted text>

How is James doing. I remember you very well and your brother. Ft. Rucker sports was a very fun time in my life. Hope you are doing well.

John Earwood
Gail, how is your brother, James. We played together. Thank you. John Earwood
Satanachias

Lexington, KY

#18 Jun 4, 2016
Who was the post CSM back in that day??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ozark Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Shirley Johnston Jul '17 Smedley Forkwart 2
I have finally won (Oct '16) Jun '17 Stanley Garner 2
relationships (Jan '15) Apr '17 WikiLeaks Local 4
News Ozark man sentenced to 20 years for child abuse (Dec '08) Mar '17 lisadaviz 14
Homosexuals in Alabama (Jan '10) Jan '17 Asa 45
News Ozark moves forward with city cleanup plans (Nov '16) Nov '16 MOANBO 1
Unsolved Crime (Oct '16) Nov '16 MOANBO 3

Ozark Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ozark Mortgages