What's taking Nassau so long to fix traffic problem?

Dec 21, 2008 Read more: Newsday 16
At the intersection of Broadway and Sunrise Highway in Massapequa heading south, Broadway becomes three lanes - an exclusive left turn lane for cars heading east on Sunrise, a center lane for cars only going ... Read more
YGBSM

Fort Lee, NJ

#2 Dec 21, 2008
These DOT bureaucrats install things no one asks for or want, then delay, delay needed and asked for changes.

C'mon bureaucrats... Get 'er done!
jethro

Albany, NY

#3 Dec 21, 2008
Money shortages delay or make impossible changes!
Diogenes

Yaphank, NY

#4 Dec 21, 2008
Didn't you see the State Transportation truck sitting on the side of the road with six people in it observing the intersection. They have to analyse the information for at least a full year after they collect it. Good luck turning into eastbound Sunrise.
dancingsergeant

Bellmore, NY

#5 Dec 21, 2008
you just need a green arrow extension sensor
PR_Flack_In_Trai ning

Hawthorne, NJ

#6 Dec 21, 2008
Suozzi did a good job speeding up flow at Northern Blvd and Glen Cove Road
Tide Runner

Shirley, NY

#7 Dec 21, 2008
It allows for more tickets to be issued on drivers passing through the one car per green arrow... Ticket revenue is important to Local govts... Their till has run dry...Their answer is, so what !!! That's the breaks, you get a ticket, we need the money !!!
Tide Runner

Shirley, NY

#8 Dec 21, 2008
PR_Flack_In_Training wrote:
That's his corrupt territory !!!
Suozzinomics

Plainview, NY

#9 Dec 21, 2008
PR_Flack_In_Training wrote:
Your kidding, right? You seem to forget that he runs red lights at that intersection all the time, the traffic is so bad.I recall him side swipping an innocent driver at that location not to long ago!
HHH

Shirley, NY

#10 Dec 21, 2008
Suozzinomics wrote:
<quoted text>
Your kidding, right? You seem to forget that he runs red lights at that intersection all the time, the traffic is so bad.I recall him side swipping an innocent driver at that location not to long ago!
I forgot about that.... If he had a sneaky red light camrea installed at that intersection, he would have been up chits creek !!!
Dale

Stockton, CA

#11 Dec 21, 2008
I'm waiting for police to pick up the illegals who ran me over in their employers van and then drove away. I got their license number. They should be picked up immediately to let them know there is swift justice for hit and runs. To let them know that the women here are not their kleenex to use and discard. To let them know hitting people crossing with the walk sign on is not acceptable. One way or another I promise you they are going to feel some pain.
Dale

Stockton, CA

#12 Dec 21, 2008
To let illegals KNOW that hitting people that are crossing WITH THE "WALK" SIGN ON IS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

or any other time either, but ESPECIALLY not then. I hope they get deported, and take their LAWLESSNESS WITH THEM.
wray

Forest Hills, NY

#13 Dec 21, 2008
Another question for the DOT:

Why is the speed limit on the State Parkways not enforced?

About 2 weeks ago on a Monday we were going East on NSP from Hicksville to Hauppaug around 8:30 AM and everyone was passing us - we were going about 78mph.

Where is the enforcement?

Since: Oct 08

Long Island

#14 Dec 21, 2008
wray wrote:
Another question for the DOT:
Why is the speed limit on the State Parkways not enforced?
About 2 weeks ago on a Monday we were going East on NSP from Hicksville to Hauppaug around 8:30 AM and everyone was passing us - we were going about 78mph.
Where is the enforcement?
You didn't know? That has become a popular trend on Long Island. Especially during rush hour. Only on long island will there be a traffic jam where the flow of traffic is 70mph.
DOT

Highland, NY

#15 Dec 21, 2008
What a useless Department. let us look at the parkway system which has barely been changed since its inception which includes the on/off ramps designed for cars that go 30mph back in the mid 1900s.

Sunrise Highway, riddled with traffic lights with many not in sequence to allow the flow of traffic to actually flow.

BTW, it is not the DOT's job to enforce traffic laws, we call that the job of the police. If you stay out of the left lane there should not be a problem, but then again, there is always that mini-van or suv with someone on a phone in the left lane driving 50mph. The police don't pull them over because they are too busy talking on their cell phones
mister hard driver

New Hyde Park, NY

#17 Dec 23, 2008
NYS DOT? one of the most dangerous
things on the road along with NYC DOT, mommy in a minivan/suv and people on cell phones. they are the ones who put yellow street lighting up and down state roads like 107 and 24 which camouflaged traffic signals turning yellow. that was a brilliant idea!
and they are the ones pulling onto the parkway at 10mph right in front of cars doing 60mph without any regard for motorist's safety.
i know they like to study traffic for looooong periods of time, but usually 30 minutes of observation is all you really need to come to a logical conclusion. its really not that difficult. and how many accidents will be reported to the police to be analyzed by the DOT? i bet the percentage is fairly small, making that aspect of their study useless.
Stuck In Traffic

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Dec 24, 2008
The State DOT is the most unresponsive, arrogant and elitist bureacracy in New York.

Sunrise Highway is a mutitude of disasters. What they need to do is sit down with a group of real live Long Island drivers and LISTEN to them.

It is doubtful that these arrogant SOB's will listen to anyone but themselves, while sitting in their cushy offices sipping their coffee and reading "Theory And Practice Of Traffic Control Patterns."

Why are we Stuck In Traffic? It's because the DOT is not doing their job as well as it can be done!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oyster Bay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Babylon closes 14 massage parlors (Feb '11) 12 hr billbigster-at-gm 12
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 13 hr Bruser 8,008
News supervisor - (Nov '07) Sun JusticeForAll 11
News More than 1,000 pack Westbury school to oppose ... Apr 18 blacksky410 2
News FHA Mortgage Focus Fuels Lend America's Rise (Jan '09) Apr 17 Now worried 834
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Hicksville (Feb '14) Apr 17 Jess F 21
News Frederick Ippolito, Oyster Bay planning commiss... Apr 16 Anon 1

Coastal Flood Statement for Nassau County was issued at April 20 at 9:48PM EDT

More from around the web

Oyster Bay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]