Gettysburg Outlet Shoppes want bus se...

Gettysburg Outlet Shoppes want bus service

There are 7 comments on the Evening Sun story from Jun 17, 2008, titled Gettysburg Outlet Shoppes want bus service. In it, Evening Sun reports that:

A plan for bus service in and around Gettysburg doesn't include a route to the Outlet Shoppes south of town, but the shopping center manager and a Mount Joy Township official say one is needed.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Evening Sun.

Jen Jen

Bryn Mawr, PA

#1 Jun 17, 2008
Why is the Outlet Center always being left "out in the cold" when it comes to mass transportation. This has been something they have been asking for since the opening, yet Mr. Monahan's Gateway project gets included immediately. Seems a little fishy to me, but there are many things in Gbg that seem that way these days. What a shame, because it's a great area.

Mass transportation in the entire region is a great thing with rising costs. It can benefit all ages, AND THE ENVIRONMENT. Think clearly and without prejudice on this one!
Big John

Harrisburg, PA

#2 Jun 17, 2008
This is a great idea. I just hope the borough and Adams Regional Transportation contact's the eco friendly bus manufacturer's about using Gettysburg as a test system for new vehicles (cheaper bus's). Atlantic City Jitney type vehicle's could be used as they are cheap to run and could be fitted with hybrid engines.
Jen Jen

Bryn Mawr, PA

#3 Jun 17, 2008
Big John wrote:
This is a great idea. I just hope the borough and Adams Regional Transportation contact's the eco friendly bus manufacturer's about using Gettysburg as a test system for new vehicles (cheaper bus's). Atlantic City Jitney type vehicle's could be used as they are cheap to run and could be fitted with hybrid engines.
Much agreed...anything to help our lives and the land!
Marodi

Cherry Hill, NJ

#4 Jun 17, 2008
Jen Jen wrote:
Why is the Outlet Center always being left "out in the cold" when it comes to mass transportation. This has been something they have been asking for since the opening, yet Mr. Monahan's Gateway project gets included immediately. Seems a little fishy to me, but there are many things in Gbg that seem that way these days. What a shame, because it's a great area.
Mass transportation in the entire region is a great thing with rising costs. It can benefit all ages, AND THE ENVIRONMENT. Think clearly and without prejudice on this one!
Because the outlets are disconnected from the town by a fair amount of farmland (like 5 minutes), while along route 30 there is continuous shops and other commercial development out to gateway gettysburg.

And Gateway Gettysburg has 2 fairly large hotels (relative to the area).
Dont forget the outlets

Kingston, PA

#5 Jun 17, 2008
I agree with Jen Jen that the outlets MUST be part of this plan. I understand, as Marodi said, that there is a break in businesses along 97 but that's still no excuse. From the new Visitor's Center, the outlet center is all of a two minute drive. Trust me, I make the trip that way every day. Inclusion of the outlets would provide a boost to both the locals (through easier access to jobs), and tourists(by providing transportation to/from for shopping).
I grew up in neighboring Lake Heritage, and could also see a benefit to including that development in the route. Thousands of teenagers each year work summer jobs at the outlets and the downtown restaurants/tourist attractions. If you could get the teens to hop aboard, imagine how much we could decrease traffic and fuel consumption while idoling downtown.
Pappy Poppy

Middletown, PA

#6 Jun 17, 2008
Merge Rabbit Transit and Adams transit. call it york-adams transit authority.busses could meet rabbit busses in hanover as a transfer center people in hanover could ride to gettysburg,and visa versa.Its long overdue and makes sense.and yeah busses need to go to the outlets also.gas will not go down in price im afraid.also people could ride to gettysburg hospital for appts instead of having to go to york, i mean gettysburg hospital is part of wellspan. any thoughts?
bueller

Philipsburg, PA

#7 Jun 17, 2008
In this day and age of rising fuel costs, it's incomprehensible to me why there hasn't been a mass transit system put in place years ago. I think there should have been one started long ago - not only for the tourists, but also for the elderly, many of whom can no longer drive or shouldn't be driving but have no other means of transportation. Yes, I know there's the ACTA, but there needs to be more available for the growing needs of the community. There should also be one in place for precisely the reason given by Marodi - things are far apart and not always easy to get to. Providing another means of transportation would help with all of the above.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oxford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bruce Johnston Crime Family (Jan '12) Jul 25 Angel 12
walmart Jul 19 littleelk95 3
Stapleton Jun '15 Gene 1
downtown pasts May '15 M Howard 2
Did the "Oxford Wheelchair Guy" die? (Oct '14) May '15 Oxfordian 3
the ote (Nov '14) May '15 ENT 3
News Traditional marriage advocate Brain Brown to sp... May '15 Larry G 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oxford Mortgages