Three Lewiston Students Killed In Plane Crash

Full story: WCSH-TV Portland

Three Lewiston High School students who were all members of the Air Force Junior ROTC program were aboard the plane that crashed in Newry last night.
Comments
1 - 20 of 171 Comments Last updated Sep 17, 2012
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Melissa

New York, NY

#1 Jun 24, 2006
I don't know what to say. I would like to know the students names I am a graduate from LHS and I might know them. I can't believe a summer trip can lead to this. I just feel empty and weird inside. I know and knew so many people in ROTC and that is a program to help people! I can't believe something this tragic could happen in my city! I'm just so lost.
Brenda

AOL

#2 Jun 25, 2006
The students were Nick Babcock, 17, Teisha Loesberg, 17, and Shannon Fortier, 15. The instructor was 24-year-old William "Charlie" Weir, who worked for Twin Cities Air Service in Auburn.
skylune

Boston, MA

#3 Jun 26, 2006
Condolences to the poor kids who perished needlessly, and to their families.

Unfortunately, these types of accidents in small planes are not uncommon. People should be aware that statistically, flying in a small plane is about as safe as riding a motorcycle. Not that they should be outlawed, but when you get into one of these small planes, your life is literally in the hands of a pilot (whos credentials you may not know) and in flight mechanics who you have never met. Most of these small planes are over 40 years old.
liz

Mount Mourne, NC

#4 Jul 24, 2006
OMG i cant belive this happened!!! shannon was my best friend i cant belive i lost her. I kno how her parents are ad im trying to clam the down. I just cant get over the fact that my best friend was on that plane..
Ashley

United States

#5 Jul 24, 2006
Omg that is so sad
Lindsay

Bangor, ME

#6 Jul 28, 2006
It has been a little over a month and I'm still in disbelief. I knew Shannon. She was in my grade and we used to have classes together. We used to live right down the street from one another and we were always over at her house or the school right down the street from us playing either on her trampoline or in the woods or on the play ground. I just wish that I could do something for her family. I will miss her greatly and will never forget her or the memories we shared.
Hilary

Austin, TX

#7 Aug 31, 2006
I grew up with Teisha. My mom and her parents were good friends, and I've known her my whole life.
Sonya

United States

#8 Sep 4, 2006
Wow It has been a little while since Teisha, Shannon, and also Nick died. I grew up with Teisha she was a greta person and friend. When I found out about the crash I didn't believe it was true, I thought that maybe it was just a cruel game that people were playing on us, I thought that when I went to the park or to the garden's I would see her and it would be okay and it wouldn't be real, but the fact is it is real and it is very true and painful and still hard to believe.
Teisha was such a beautiful person, she had dreams and goals and was never afraid to be herself. She loved to play football in the middle of Knox St. and tried to get me to play a few times but I always was quick to say no and say how unsafe it was to play in the rode but Teisha and her tommy boy self never let that fear get to her, thats what made Teish....Teisha, she wasn't scared to be out there and play the game.
Well I guess this is the end of this I am glad I got the oppurtunity to post this and maybe someone else may find comfert in this also.
R.I.P Teisha and we'll all see you again!
Much Love
Sonya
svj

San Antonio, TX

#9 Sep 19, 2006
I knew Charlie from high school and just found out about the crash. He was an awesome guy and it is a shame that his life ended so soon. Everybody loved Charlie because he was sweet, kind, and funny. The world was robbed of a great man. I didn't know the three others, but I'm sure they were good kids with bright futures, too. Life shouldn't be so short, but I've always been told that life is not fair.
couchfreek8741

San Antonio, TX

#10 Sep 20, 2006
Any word on the cause of the crash? I'm kind of curious, but yes my sympathy goes out to the families of the souls lost and the AFJROTC of LHS.
Hilary

Orono, ME

#11 Sep 22, 2006
They said the pilot was trying to fly over the mountain with the engine using maximum power and that caused it to crash.

Today makes three months since the crash. I can't believe it.
Carrie Macomber

Clearwater, FL

#12 Oct 9, 2006
Like Hilary, I cannot believe that it's been over 3 months now since that terrible tradgedy happened. Nick was like a son to me and like a brother to my daughter. He was so bright, and he had a great future planned and his whole life ahead of him. He was my neighbor in Maine; I now live in Florida. I did not know about what happened until 2 weeks later. I regret not being able to make it to his funeral and to be able to be there for his parents, brother, grandmother and friends. I cry often. I will be in Maine in December, and I plan on going over to Nick's house to offer my condolences in person. I cannot thank Nick enough for all that he did for my children and for my self. I pray every Sunday for Nick and for his family. We miss you Nick and love you. Thank you for watching over us.
Anthony Skelton

Montpelier, VT

#13 Nov 25, 2006
Nick was a great friend of mine, and I gre up with him. It is such a shame that his life, along with three others, were cut short.

To see the NTSB report, go to this website:

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp...
Hanna

Orono, ME

#14 Dec 5, 2006
my friend Kaprice Curry was supost to be on that flight, though she passed up her seat for another to go on first.
Christy

Apopka, FL

#15 Dec 6, 2006
I Just became friends with Nick, but right away he seemed like a good guy. I got to know him over the summer and we became friends. He introduced me to my best friend Anthony Skelton. He treated me like I was one of his best friends. My sister is dating his brother and he was happy they were together. I couldn't have met a nicer person. I felt like i knew him for a long time. The night I found out about the crash I stayed up tell one in the morning to find out if it was him. I kept telling my cousin and my sister that out of all the people in the camp it probably wasn't him. I mean the odds were agenst it. One comes around and we found out he was on that plane. I cryed my eyes out. The next day all I could think about was the memorys I've had with him. Today I just remember the good things about him and the fact that he died doing the thing he loved. I dont ever think about it in a negitive way and I hope everyone else dosent either. I miss him and I'm sure everyone else does too, so lets remember the good thing and keep his memory alive. God is taking care of him now and I'm happy for that.
Dave

Norcross, GA

#16 Dec 10, 2006
Just thought I would give ya'll a different perspective... Charlie (the pilot) was a good friend of mine from his hometown San Antonio... And for what's its worth he was one of those stand-up guys who was friends with everyone and had it all going for him. My heart goes out to the three high school students and their friends and families, but don't forget - Charlie's people lost a loved one too. Please include him in your thoughts and prayers.
Hilary

Orono, ME

#17 Dec 11, 2006
Dave wrote:
Just thought I would give ya'll a different perspective... Charlie (the pilot) was a good friend of mine from his hometown San Antonio... And for what's its worth he was one of those stand-up guys who was friends with everyone and had it all going for him. My heart goes out to the three high school students and their friends and families, but don't forget - Charlie's people lost a loved one too. Please include him in your thoughts and prayers.
I'm sure he was a good guy, and I feel bad for his friends and family for all the grief they must be experiencing, but the reports on the news and the newspapers are showing that the crash was, in fact, his fault because of the way he was flying. I'm sorry you lost him, but he caused one of my friends to die, and caused endless grief to many people.

But I do hope that all of Charlie's friends and family are taking this well. The 22nd makes six months since the crash...I can't believe it.

And if any of you ever need someone to talk to, my email is darkrulingpoet@yahoo.com.
Smotherman

United States

#18 Dec 17, 2006
skylune wrote:
Condolences to the poor kids who perished needlessly, and to their families.
Unfortunately, these types of accidents in small planes are not uncommon. People should be aware that statistically, flying in a small plane is about as safe as riding a motorcycle. Not that they should be outlawed, but when you get into one of these small planes, your life is literally in the hands of a pilot (whos credentials you may not know) and in flight mechanics who you have never met. Most of these small planes are over 40 years old.
Come up to Lewiston and talk CRAP like this in person. When you leave town your have a smile like a jack-o-lantern. This sight is for people who knew the victims to share there thoughts, so if you want to talk odds I'd say statistacially you'll be going home with a couple less chicklets in your hole, SO PISS OFF!

Shannon was a very SAFE and very well trained motorcycle rider on top of all her other great accomplishments. Her mom has been my best friend for many years and we shared many good times together. The next horseback ride, birthday party, and walk in ThorneCraig will not be the same without you Shannon. WE MISS YOU!
skylune

Boston, MA

#19 Dec 18, 2006
Sorry to upset you. As I said, condolences, but as NTSB statistics show, thousands of GA crashes do occur each year. I am just stating a fact.

I will be skiing up at Sunday River shortly. Take care.
Hilary

Orono, ME

#20 Dec 19, 2006
Hey everyone, I just thought I'd check back in and leave a comment...Friday makes six months since the crash and I can't believe it. It feels like just yesterday.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oxford Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ME Who do you support for Governor in Maine in 2010? (Oct '10) Fri Brewer Guy 116
salutation Jul '14 christian 2
join illuminati and get riches (Dec '13) Jul '14 christian 2
Veronika Christman, anyone know her? (Jul '13) Jun '14 Also intrigued 2
A peek into this week a " Jan. 23, 2014 (Feb '14) Feb '14 The More You Know 1
ME Maine Conservation Bonds Issue, Question 3 (Oct '10) Feb '14 Mark Chaisty 6
American Legion Post to help count homeless vet... (Jan '13) Jan '13 onion 2
•••
•••
•••

Oxford Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000