stand loud, stand proud owen county

Posted in the Owenton Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
the jolly roger

Owenton, KY

#1 May 15, 2010
well....im new....to topix anyway lol.......im born and bred owen county.....i've watched as this city rise and fall my whole life....through different stand points (as i try so had to do) because i think just like anything else a community is only as strong as its weakest link.....and well....the way things have escalated/diversified/evolved in this last decade and a half have just been....our fault......and these kids are just gonna keep getting older.....our school system is in shambles.....there STILL is nothing for the youth to participate in ....(unless you count drugs, sports, and church "things") and no offence to any of those things "in particular"....but not all these kids are just into "those things"......and well we critisize eachother...for EVERYTHING....people of differnt social classes....mindsets....biparti sanships....religion... and all these "BIG" decisions have never been whats good for all said individuals.....and no...not all issues are always the "best" issues to initiate convo to debate....but when i decide to "settle" down and have kids.....i just have hard thoughts on if this is the place i wanna raise that family...that place i grew up and was amazed by (due to my grandfather),and made me proud to be a part of.....this blog may be pointless to some......but to those who read it and feel kinship....lets chat and hope together to see some change.........
Johnny Masters

Carrollton, KY

#2 May 15, 2010
Yeah I like what you're saying and I like your user name. Very clever. I get the reference.

I'm not from Owen County but I feel the exact same way about Gallatin County. Growing up you believe all of these folks controlling things knows what's going on, and you listen to them, but then you get older and take another look, and you realize that they are less capable than you, and it makes you wonder: why has everybody else put up with this? Seriously? None of you care to go to city meetings or Fiscal Court meeting? Really? None of you? Are you that satisfied with the government? Or what?

So the conversation I would like to have is where is our countys NOW, and where SHOULD it be. So we give ourselves an honest assessment, because if you don't know the problems then you can't fix them, pointing the good and the bad, and then to dream about a better future. Okay. Here goes:

Gallatin County, pop 9,000 is mostly rural good country folks, with 3 little towns in them. Sparta and Glencoe has about 500 folks, or less. Warsaw has about 1800 or more. Owenton I believe is around 1500 also. Something both of our cities have in common is that 20% of both of our towns are poor. 20% isn't like Clay County, who has 45%, but it's still too much. That's 1 out of 5 people you see in town is poor. That's too many. So POVERTY is a big issue we can talk about.

Gallatin County doesn't have a hospital, or their own jail. We have a decent school system, in terms of financing new buildings, and having sports programs, and teaching accelerated classes, tholgh it is draconian, and ruled with an iron fist. We had an assistant Principal the first day we went into school brag to all of us that he would have us arrested and taken out in handcuffs if he felt it necessary, and he was rough. He was mean. Short too. Probably had some short man complex so he thought he could bully some kids and feel powerful. It worked. He was scary. But I wish there were more classes that taught us independence. So that's our EDUCATION and HEALTHCARE.

Those three issues, Education, Healthcare, and Poverty are critical issues for Kentucky since our state is on the bottom of the list nationally, so no doubt we both are struggling in those areas.

We do have a health clinic, which gives school kids their shots, and you can get check-ups there. But the hospital and jail we use is in our neighboring county Carroll County. I would like to see Gallatin County get a hospital and a jail. I don't have this funding, but there's got to be some way we Gallatin Countians can take care of ourselves without having to rely on another county. I mean somebody could die on the way to the hospital, and the Jailer there doesn't treat Gallatin Countians (or maybe everybody, I don't know) right.

There are grants out there. I get lots of emails from Geoff Davis's office for Obama Bucks, and they cover all sorts of categories, from hospital stuff, to Internet stuff (Corinth just got high speed broadband from Obama Bucks), to other "long term infrastructure" projects. I feel confident that if plans were drawn up, and applied for, we'd get whatever we asked for, since over 50% of the stimulus dollars are still available. I could write up some words, but the drawings and getting the land all lined up, there's some open ended questions I'd need to know in order to pursue a grant. Not to mention it takes up a lot of time, and if you don't get it, then you don't get paid. Some governments have a "city developer" or "economic developer" person in charge of these grants. As a full time job, I'd love to write grants up left and right. It would put my talents to good use, and possibly bring in some much needed projects.

There's some thoughts for now. What do you think?
the jolly roger

United States

#3 May 18, 2010
well as far as getting a community re organized and back into a state of "homeostasis" i aggree 100%......there is still the gigantic gap between peoples of difference.....and a struggling youth population with nothing to do......but you responding in the way you have is gigantic for me personally.....if for no other reason than giving me the flag that others are here and care for more than just the petty issues that look favorable to the "powers that be"/ the parties and all the uninformed masses........i know (nothing to revolutionary) there will be a day when decisions will be based on what really matters.....
lets not let this convo end in vaine
thank you
Johnny Masters

Carrollton, KY

#4 May 18, 2010
I hear ya. I won't ever stop, though I may reconfigure, reboot, and then reload.
a good thing

United States

#5 May 18, 2010
Like the sign say's in Glencoe,How to get of the liberals?
a good thing

United States

#6 May 18, 2010
Johnny Masters wrote:
I hear ya. I won't ever stop, though I may reconfigure, reboot, and then reload.
Did you vote today I voted as far right as I could?Are you a liberal or consv.because what you are saying is like pallin
Johnny Masters

Carrollton, KY

#7 May 18, 2010
a good thing wrote:
<quoted text>Did you vote today I voted as far right as I could?Are you a liberal or consv.because what you are saying is like pallin
I'm a little bit of both. I'm a Progressive Libertarian. I respect our people's civil liberties, and I don't like having a strong centralized government, especially if they are just giving land and property away to wealthy private corporate interests, as the Wall Street Bailout was a clear example of. But I also care about the poor, and if the government is helping people, if my tax dollars is being used for the benefit of the community, then I am for that government. I want good government, not bad government.

Me and Palin are saying many things that are similar, and I like many of the libertarian principles of Rand Paul, such as being anti-war, for the decriminalization of marijuana, and against the Patriot Act, which is a bill that probably has allowed the NSA to track every word I have typed on topix. Also, we are both calling for change, lots of change, even revolutionary change. So we have similarities, even though I have questions about many of her views.

I'm a Democrat, so I'm more left than anything else, but there are some on the right doing good work, and even though they are basically calling for anarchy, I'd much rather have no government than a corrupt government.
holdup

Louisville, KY

#8 May 20, 2010
you are a nut. give it a rest for at least a week if you have self control. i would guess with you very little self control.
Johnny Masters

Carrollton, KY

#9 May 20, 2010
I would if you people would just leave me alone. Worry about your own problems. I'll give it a rest. Just leave me alone.
Great

Louisville, KY

#10 May 21, 2010
You must have lost control!
Truth

Carrollton, KY

#11 May 21, 2010
No. I'm just not running for office anymore, and I was moderating the site as best as possible to keep the dumb crap off, but they just kept coming. Then Julie Smith does her best to sabotage me at the end, when you have no idea.
Truth

Carrollton, KY

#12 May 21, 2010
Great wrote:
You must have lost control!
Goddamn it. You are such a piece of shit. You just can't leave me alone can you? There's lots of assholes in Owen County. Read the above the piece, that took 30 min. for me to write, and is very good and very informative, and none of you dumb rednecks said a single word about it. You hicks just want to destroy. Fuck Owen County. Fuck the 70% of the assholes who don't vote, and fuck the 24% who voted against me. Fuck 94% of your stupid county. You, Gallatin, it's all the same. Just a bunch of backstabbing scared white people. There's one poster that was saying "great the election is over. now nobody will knock on my door asking for my vote." what is wrong with you people? you should be flattered that somebody would go to your door. somebody who is going to have power, and you can influence those decisions. they were even complaining about the yard signs. these are the people i'm supposed to impress? shit. they're idiots. What is so great about Owen County? You act like it's the best place to live ever. It's no different than Gallatin, or Trimble, or Henry. You think you're special because you have farmland? There's farmland all over the place. Lots of land, and lots of poor toothless drunk hicks, who don't know how to read and smoke too much. 40% of you assholes don't know how to read. That's Kentucky. Idiots like you have made Kentucky what it is today. You don't build, you destroy. Seriously. Read the above post. None of you dickwads want to build anything, and that's why we have the same poverty we've had for 100s of years, and that's why you will always have poverty. Plus you have no idea what a State Rep. even does. None of you check his bills, or make sure he's bringing home tax dollars for public works program, just like none of you go to the Fiscal Court meetings, or the city meetings, or any other meetings. The government doesn't want the public involved, except to elect them in, then they want you to stay in your house, and do nothing, except shop, spend money, work yourselves to death, and then die. So that's what you do. You don't influence public policy. You don't work together for a common purpose. Always, it's dog-eat-dog. The poor need to wake up. You are on your own.

My friend from Afghanistan was complaining about how "these people" have no sense of community. all they do is stay in their tribes/family... Well that's America. There's no community here. It's all individualistic selfishness. It's like the Republicans have made it okay to be over the top and greedy, and to act like a bunch of animals who don't care about anybody else except themselves. I asked you to stop fucking with me. Post your own stuff. Show Owen, all you cyber terrorist pricks, esp. Julie Smith. Let's see how much better you make Owen County. Let's see all of the interesting posts you post. And let's see how many times Royce Adams post things for everybody. I bet he won't post crap. I bet he thinks the more the public is kept in the dark, the better. I bet you have no idea about the bills he passed (this year was about 50 of new laws, btw). But you don't care. Apathy in a democracy is poison. You don't care about yourselves. Your children. Or your community. You'd rather be ruled over by your government, and not participate in governing. So I post something good, and none of you assholes say a word, Julie. Not a "that's interesting", or a "wow, i never thought about it like that", or a "thanks, that's like professional quality writing, like the stuff you read in a newspaper..." nope, nothing. Whatever. I don't vote for Julie Smith. I don't vote for Owen County. I don't care for her success. It's dog-eat-dog world. I'm back to being just a citizen. I would never want to live in Owen county. You aren't rebels. You are tame and lame and backwards. Owen County sucks. You deserve Ray Smith.
Truth

Carrollton, KY

#13 May 21, 2010
Yeah, so I saw this commercial that was explaining how you are supposed to win an election. First you convince the 20% of the smart folks, the moral leaders who controls everybody else's opinion, and then you trick the other 80%. A candidate for Mayor of Newark, NJ was going to get a vote from a Mother because she liked his Mother's Day card better than the other guy's Mother's Day card. That is stupid. OMG. That is so dumb. Seriously? That's what you base your vote on? Not the policies that they are going to pursue, but whether or not you get a good looking card?

Well, I was hoping my political platform, my "Kentucky Resolutions", would have been enough to convince smart people that I am more qualified, and a better candidate. But no. They didn't care for my ideas. They were against healthcare, dentalcare, education, more jobs, more money, more industry, more unions, better wages, no poverty, free college, free internet... you don't want progress. You want the same assholes in office that have always been in office. Jesus. I can't stand you people. I'm glad I lost. Now I don't have to listen to you dumb perspectives. And watch how Topix is used in every election in Owen County from here on out. Just watch. And also watch how you will be talking about me for years to come. I made more of a difference in all of your lives because the work I was doing, is immortal. This will stay here forever.

Next time, not State Rep. Not for you people. I'm valuable in whatever city I end up in. I'm not worried about that. But next time, instead of treating you all like a bunch of adults, and trying to get some real conversation going, I'll just trick "the rest", which turns out to be everybody. You're all stupid (minus the 1%... but it's only 1%, why qualify it?). None of you really know what is going on, except maybe those in government, but you have a vague notion of what you're doing. You are all stupid. I should have never talked to you like adults. Instead, I should have bought ads in the paper, put up signs, knocked on your door, and tricked you into voting for me. You don't care for the policies. You just want to be asked. Whatever. I learned my lesson. Don't speak Truth and Honesty to a Kentuckian. They want the b.s. They like the b.s. Which is why b.s. is all they ever get.
People

Louisville, KY

#14 May 21, 2010
Why would you use the language you use and expect to get elected? So much for truth and honesty by tricking people into voting for you? Real truth and honesty.
thank you

United States

#15 May 21, 2010
People wrote:
Why would you use the language you use and expect to get elected? So much for truth and honesty by tricking people into voting for you? Real truth and honesty.
Thank you i didn't like the language either.
WTFEVER

Carrollton, KY

#16 May 21, 2010
That is truthful. That's what those who got elected did, they tricked you all, manipulated you, and you fell for it. Now they have all of the power, and they can do whatever they choose. I'm not looking to get elected anymore. The election is over. He won. I lost. I'm a citizen now. I am your neighbor. I am your kid. I am your father. I am the trash collector. I am the cafeteria worker. I make your french fries at McDonald's. I mow your lawns. I buy your groceries. I buy your gas. I am a working person. I am everywhere. you can't get rid of me. and you can't get rid of good ideas.
sea shell

United States

#17 May 21, 2010
WTFEVER wrote:
That is truthful. That's what those who got elected did, they tricked you all, manipulated you, and you fell for it. Now they have all of the power, and they can do whatever they choose. I'm not looking to get elected anymore. The election is over. He won. I lost. I'm a citizen now. I am your neighbor. I am your kid. I am your father. I am the trash collector. I am the cafeteria worker. I make your french fries at McDonald's. I mow your lawns. I buy your groceries. I buy your gas. I am a working person. I am everywhere. you can't get rid of me. and you can't get rid of good ideas.
What is your problem? Rant and rave your not my father thank goodness.and your not my neighbor your not my trash collector either you have a problem
WTFEVER

Carrollton, KY

#18 May 21, 2010
I am everywhere. I clean your clothes. I teach your children. I am the lawyer that prosecutes, and the one that defends. I am your janitor. I am the security guard. I am the librarian. I am your fire fighter, and your police officer. I am a small business person. I am working class. You haven't been able to get rid of the working class yet, now have you now? And the working class is all around you. You probably shouldn't be pissing us off.
out rage

Lexington, KY

#20 May 21, 2010
WTFEVER wrote:
I am everywhere. I clean your clothes. I teach your children. I am the lawyer that prosecutes, and the one that defends. I am your janitor. I am the security guard. I am the librarian. I am your fire fighter, and your police officer. I am a small business person. I am working class. You haven't been able to get rid of the working class yet, now have you now? And the working class is all around you. You probably shouldn't be pissing us off.
Do you and johnny master talk a lot you must do it because u write just like him
district 3 voter

Richmond, KY

#21 May 21, 2010
you need to get a life and leave owen county alone before you take and ass kicking you never had in your life i cant believe you thought you were going to win the election no one knows who you are and dont want to now that you are acting this way so go away and hide under your rock and dont come out!!!!!!!!!!
WTFEVER wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owenton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Larry kirby (Mar '14) 10 hr Curious Santa 5
Bri Pettit 10 hr ILOVEMCLOVIN 7
jerry lankford Sun ohyes 9
Jennifer Coffman (Dec '10) Sun someone 6
is Rumpke the only garbage pickup in owen county Jan 24 red ford truck stop 1
Samantha and Casey Roland Jan 22 old friend 1
Doug West (Jan '12) Jan 22 mightrevealname 47
Owenton Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web