First Prev
of 2
Next Last
swk

Philpot, KY

#21 Nov 18, 2012
Spelling wrote:
You guys mean counciling. Counciling is meantal health. Counsel is like retaining legal counsel, etc.
With all due respect, it is spelled correctly as "counseling". Anytime someone seeks advice, whether from an attorney, a therapist, or even a church, it's considered receiving "counsel". Yes, they call attorneys counselors, but they also call others counselors. There are guidance counselors and Licensed Professional Clinical Counselors just to name a few. I hope I haven't offended you. Just didn't want someone acting like a jerk by correcting you & being mean about it :)
lived and learned

Owensboro, KY

#22 Nov 18, 2012
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem with going to a church for counseling is that 99 percent of church counselors do not have any formal training in counseling. I recommend going to find at least a LPC. They tend to be the best counselors or a psychologist.
I belong to a christian church, and while I can't speak for all of them, I will say that most of the ministers (not just pastors) are very well equiped to counsel. It is after all their job to show people the way that they should live. I have had to go to them on more than one occasion for anything from addictions to marriage counseling. I would suggest an older one though, as they have seen and experienced more and have a better understanding of how to handle situations. I can recomment two excellent pastors whom I have dealt with personally and have helped greatly. Bro. Scott Ford - Maceo Baptist, and Bro. James Wedding - Yellow Creek Baptist. They will listen to your situation, help you understand it yourself, and give you advice to correct your problems. But if you truely want a change, then you have to be honest with yourself and the minister, don't withhold details (they have probably heard and seen far worse, and their job is not to condemn but to counsel and encourage) and pay attention and be open to what they say. All the counseling in the world is pointless unless you are willing to take it to heart and put it to use. And don't use the excuse that you'll be struck by lightening or the church will fall in on you if you set foot inside. The church is more for the sinner than it is for the saint.
Most "counselors" aren't worth the paper their diplomas are printed on. Both myself and my wife have seen at least 10 different ones, and wasted a lot of time and hard earned money. They only seemed to be interested in the problem itself, not the cause or the cure. They tell you that you shouldn't do this, or be a certain way, but give literally no explination as to how to keep yourself in check.
lol

Princeton, KY

#23 Nov 18, 2012
lived and learned wrote:
<quoted text>I belong to a christian church, and while I can't speak for all of them, I will say that most of the ministers (not just pastors) are very well equiped to counsel. It is after all their job to show people the way that they should live. I have had to go to them on more than one occasion for anything from addictions to marriage counseling. I would suggest an older one though, as they have seen and experienced more and have a better understanding of how to handle situations. I can recomment two excellent pastors whom I have dealt with personally and have helped greatly. Bro. Scott Ford - Maceo Baptist, and Bro. James Wedding - Yellow Creek Baptist. They will listen to your situation, help you understand it yourself, and give you advice to correct your problems. But if you truely want a change, then you have to be honest with yourself and the minister, don't withhold details (they have probably heard and seen far worse, and their job is not to condemn but to counsel and encourage) and pay attention and be open to what they say. All the counseling in the world is pointless unless you are willing to take it to heart and put it to use. And don't use the excuse that you'll be struck by lightening or the church will fall in on you if you set foot inside. The church is more for the sinner than it is for the saint.
Most "counselors" aren't worth the paper their diplomas are printed on. Both myself and my wife have seen at least 10 different ones, and wasted a lot of time and hard earned money. They only seemed to be interested in the problem itself, not the cause or the cure. They tell you that you shouldn't do this, or be a certain way, but give literally no explination as to how to keep yourself in check.
Because you didn't find one that worked for you don't discard all counselors.
lol

Princeton, KY

#24 Nov 18, 2012
lived and learned wrote:
<quoted text>I belong to a christian church, and while I can't speak for all of them, I will say that most of the ministers (not just pastors) are very well equiped to counsel. It is after all their job to show people the way that they should live. I have had to go to them on more than one occasion for anything from addictions to marriage counseling. I would suggest an older one though, as they have seen and experienced more and have a better understanding of how to handle situations. I can recomment two excellent pastors whom I have dealt with personally and have helped greatly. Bro. Scott Ford - Maceo Baptist, and Bro. James Wedding - Yellow Creek Baptist. They will listen to your situation, help you understand it yourself, and give you advice to correct your problems. But if you truely want a change, then you have to be honest with yourself and the minister, don't withhold details (they have probably heard and seen far worse, and their job is not to condemn but to counsel and encourage) and pay attention and be open to what they say. All the counseling in the world is pointless unless you are willing to take it to heart and put it to use. And don't use the excuse that you'll be struck by lightening or the church will fall in on you if you set foot inside. The church is more for the sinner than it is for the saint.
I accidentally pushed post before I was finished. I disagree about counselors not being interested in the root of the problem. Maybe you and your wife were not interested in really changing when you saw 10 different counselors. It sounds like maybe you keep going to different counselors to find one that would tell you what you wanted to hear. Professional counselors have a bachelors degree and a 60 hours masters. They are required to take continuing education classes their entire career. I'm glad you found someone to help you, but usually individuals with theological training do not understand the complexities of issues like eating disorder, sexual abuse, sexuality concerns, mental illness..........

Philpot, KY

#25 Nov 18, 2012
lived and learned wrote:
As a Christian who sees a licensed counselor, I'm terribly offended by your statement. Some therapists/counselors are Christians & look for solutions instead of focusing on the problem. They're not all the way you put it. Please don't discourage people from seeking help. Some people aren't comfortable going to a church for help or even talking to their own pastors.
lived and learned

Owensboro, KY

#26 Nov 18, 2012
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you didn't find one that worked for you don't discard all counselors.
I never said that I discard all counselors, but as far as the "professional counselors", that has been my experience and the experience of several others. Ministers also have the title of counselors, and as someone mentioned before so are lawyers, physicians, teachers, and anyone who directs people to better themselves. And I have found counselors that have worked for me, they just happen to be ministers as well. I made my recommendation based on personal experience just like the others have. I have had no dealings with the lady mentioned so I have no biase. Everyone recieves things differently which is why we have so many options, every counselor is going to have their own spin on how they do what they do, this is also why what works for one may not always work for all, but it helps to ensure that there is most likely someone who can help. I mentioned no names as to who did nothing for me, because they may be just what someone else needs.
lived and learned

Owensboro, KY

#27 Nov 18, 2012
lol wrote:
<quoted text>
I accidentally pushed post before I was finished. I disagree about counselors not being interested in the root of the problem. Maybe you and your wife were not interested in really changing when you saw 10 different counselors. It sounds like maybe you keep going to different counselors to find one that would tell you what you wanted to hear. Professional counselors have a bachelors degree and a 60 hours masters. They are required to take continuing education classes their entire career. I'm glad you found someone to help you, but usually individuals with theological training do not understand the complexities of issues like eating disorder, sexual abuse, sexuality concerns, mental illness..........
I've realized over the years that most things are complicated because we make them that way. While I agree that some issues are complicated, I do not agree that all "theological" counselors are untrained to understand them. I am not going to get into a debate on Christianity being theological, that has nothing to do with this thread. I can't say if any of these issues are beyond their understanding and training because I'm not one. And by the way, we weren't looking for "what we wanted to hear", we were looking for answers and direction. and the counselors we spoke to never offered up anything that we hadn't already come up with ourselves. 99.9% of the time we were doing all the talking, once in a while he'd pop in with a question that we'd probably already discussed several times before.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Owensboro Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
Donna Zoglmann (Jun '14) 13 min dang it 8
Joey mattingly 18 min maggie 4
Guy they call Bubby 27 min AsInVirgil 14
Jenni Cupples Haynes 27 min fallen 20
Library chick 28 min Uhhh 3
Autumn Hall? 30 min fallen 2
ttma 35 min oo 7
Owensboro Dating
Find my Match