DIRECTV vs. Dish Network
Dino

Greeley, CO

#45 Sep 9, 2013
Dish smish wrote:
I called to get the new 'hopper'. They wouldn't let me have it. Not at a discount, couldn't buy it, it just could not be in my future. I've been with them 17 years, it's a no go they said. So yeah I'm thinking about switching too.
hey i can switch you over and give you some good rates!!! contact me usdigitalcareers at gmail
disappointed

United States

#46 Oct 2, 2013
I was with Dish Network for 13 yrs and got a bug up my butt and switched to Direct Tv and have been sorry ever since. Even as a new customer I am paying as much or more than I did with Dish Network and for less channels. Their new Jeanie sucks compared to the regular DVR that I had with Dish and I've had it now for around 8 months. It doesn't take much of a storm to make it go blank compared to the old DVR I had with Dish. I can't wait to get back to Dish after I finish my promised term with Direct Tv. All that hipe about how good Direct Tv is has me completely baffled cause I don't think it can even come close to how Dish Network is.
john

Owensboro, KY

#47 Oct 2, 2013
Anybody singing up for dish, get $50 off your first bill: but one of these codes into the promo code when you check out:
HOP018520150
HOP016848159
DRH998036913
DRD657492918
DRD657356347
Cheri

Puyallup, WA

#48 Oct 3, 2013
Rosie wrote:
My 2 year committment with DirectTV is up and I see that my bill has jumped $20. Has anyone been able to negotiate a lower rate after their committment is over or don't they care? We were DISH customers for more than 10 years and when we tried to negotiate a lower rate, they didn't care, so we switched.$150/month for TV is crazy!
I was told if you keep your account in good standing for 12 months you get 50% off your bill for the next 12 months. This was via chat with a representative. Deciding between dish and direct tv
Paul Bouder

Anonymous Proxy

#49 Oct 7, 2013
Dish smish wrote:
I called to get the new 'hopper'. They wouldn't let me have it. Not at a discount, couldn't buy it, it just could not be in my future. I've been with them 17 years, it's a no go they said. So yeah I'm thinking about switching too.
I work for a regional service provider for Dish in MS. Your RSP can get you in a hopper where Dish won't. My company is Satellites Unlimited. We cover from GA to LA, but I don't think KY. Call your local RSP. There is hope for you a Hopper yet!
lynn

Sherwood, OR

#50 Oct 22, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
We are considering switching from Dish Network to DIRECTV. However, I am starting to hear from a few people about issues with DIRECTV losing signal during bad weather. Can anyone tell me if that is an issue from past years that has been resolved by DIRECTV or if it is an ongoing problem? We have had Dish Network for a few years now and have had very few problems with losing signal.
it depends on the trees i have had directv for years with the receivers i up instill recently would not have an issue unless it was a server rain storm now any incliamte weather i have outages some higher station i loose everything were as local tv i still receive and i have lived in two different location now i live up the mountain with heavy cloud cover there is no much you can do snow clouds is the worst so if you live where you have a lot of snow that is some thing to consider but i believe that the signal strength has improved
GA Guy

Decatur, GA

#51 Oct 22, 2013
I'm looking at getting on of these within the next 2 weeks. Does Dish offer any refer-a-friend discounts like DirecTV?
bob

Littleton, CO

#53 Oct 28, 2013
dish renews contract only when you upgrade reciver. direct will renew contract for even switching your programming around. dish is overall a better value
keeker

Owensboro, KY

#54 Oct 28, 2013
I got sucked into a best buy direct TV employee lie.I was with Dish network for 18 yrs and the guy at best buy told me if I switched I would receive a $100 best buy card.I sent it in as directed twice and never received card.I only have less than two months left on my agreement and I am switching back.
lt4fun

Vista, CA

#55 Oct 29, 2013
If ur a sports fan u go with directv... sports packages. Dont care much about sports only whats on national tv then dish is it. Dish has better technology more international programming. I work in iptv industry have both. Bottom line until youve tried em both u wont know what works 4 u
Techprimus

Anchorage, AK

#57 Nov 3, 2013
Just wondering wrote:
We are considering switching from Dish Network to DIRECTV. However, I am starting to hear from a few people about issues with DIRECTV losing signal during bad weather. Can anyone tell me if that is an issue from past years that has been resolved by DIRECTV or if it is an ongoing problem? We have had Dish Network for a few years now and have had very few problems with losing signal.
I have been working in the satellite industry for almost 10 years. I work for a company that installs both DISH and DirecTV. That gives me equal experience in both, so here are some unbiased facts:

DirecTV has better programming: NFL Sunday Ticket and a slight bit more HD channels. Other than that, packages are equal. DTV makes you pay +$10/month for HD.

DISH is lacking in sports not allowing you to watch out of market games, but HD is free and overall programming package pricing is cheaper by $10-15 a month.

Customer service: simply put: DISH wins. Even as a tech, DTV has hung up on me because they didn't want to deal with a complicated issue. I have never had this issue as a Tech with DISH. Customers report similar experiences.

Signal quality: they are equal signals but metered differently. What DTV calls peak signal at "90", DISH calls peak at "75". The actual signal energy being broadcast from the satellite is the same.

Equipment: Hoppet vs. Genie: the Hopper wins. It is so much more user friendly epsecially for the novice, plus has many features such as Sling that DTV does not. Both systems are whole-he
Viewing, but the hopper has many more features and apps that are appealing to the consumer.

Installation: almost exactly the same. If you have a good installer, it will be low impact, aesthetically pleasing, and tuned for peak signal.

OVERALL: in my book, DISH wins. Though they lack sports programming, your bill on average is $15-20 a month cheaper after discounts, you get better customer service, and the most advanced equipment on the market.
Level 2

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#58 Nov 9, 2013
Techprimus wrote:
<quoted text>
I have been working in the satellite industry for almost 10 years. I work for a company that installs both DISH and DirecTV. That gives me equal experience in both, so here are some unbiased facts:
DirecTV has better programming: NFL Sunday Ticket and a slight bit more HD channels. Other than that, packages are equal. DTV makes you pay +$10/month for HD.
DISH is lacking in sports not allowing you to watch out of market games, but HD is free and overall programming package pricing is cheaper by $10-15 a month.
Customer service: simply put: DISH wins. Even as a tech, DTV has hung up on me because they didn't want to deal with a complicated issue. I have never had this issue as a Tech with DISH. Customers report similar experiences.
Signal quality: they are equal signals but metered differently. What DTV calls peak signal at "90", DISH calls peak at "75". The actual signal energy being broadcast from the satellite is the same.
Equipment: Hoppet vs. Genie: the Hopper wins. It is so much more user friendly epsecially for the novice, plus has many features such as Sling that DTV does not. Both systems are whole-he
Viewing, but the hopper has many more features and apps that are appealing to the consumer.
Installation: almost exactly the same. If you have a good installer, it will be low impact, aesthetically pleasing, and tuned for peak signal.
OVERALL: in my book, DISH wins. Though they lack sports programming, your bill on average is $15-20 a month cheaper after discounts, you get better customer service, and the most advanced equipment on the market.
Lexington is having a discussion on Time Warner ...Every body is mad and they may not renew their contract...
yes

Versailles, IN

#59 Nov 10, 2013
GA Guy wrote:
I'm looking at getting on of these within the next 2 weeks. Does Dish offer any refer-a-friend discounts like DirecTV?
Yes dish offers refer a friend discounts, for each person u refer not only do u get $50 off ur bill, so does the friend
Sasha

United States

#60 Nov 11, 2013
Direct all the way. Never any problems when it storms
Nate

Durant, OK

#61 Nov 22, 2013
Dish is cheaper.. but Direct has more hd channels.. the reason dish is cheaper because there lower packages are missing some key channels but it all just depends on what you watch. Directv is better in the sports area. Equipment is about the same for both and directv may have a little better signal..
Kevin p

Oxford, GA

#62 Nov 28, 2013
Hey if your looking for some savings on your dish tv plan I can get you solid deals on both Direct TV and Dish Network. Just click this link and see what ya think. Happy to save people money.

http://5linx.com/satellite-tv-landing-page/...
kitty fred

United States

#63 Jan 16, 2014
Direct beats the pants off of dish
LBH

South Charleston, OH

#64 Jan 16, 2014
My family and I just sitched from Direct TV to Dish, because our bill went up nearly $40.00. We were told if we got under contract, they could lower our bill by $25.00. I felt that was holding us hostage, so I switched to Dish. That was the best decision I made. The Hopper is very nice, and picture quality is just as good as Direct TV. My family and I are very happy with the decision to switch.
me

United States

#65 Jan 16, 2014
Direct
redeyes

North Charleston, SC

#66 Feb 13, 2014
Direct TV NO WAYI just tried to sign up for direct TV. Free genei? NOPE! after my credit check they said no deposit required. AWESOME! Right? They removed my discount and wanted to charge me 99 bucks for the genei. My credit is not bad. I just baught a new car and done other financing recently. They should have required a deposit instead. But to remove my discount and charge me more than Joe blow. If they try to screw you before you even buy thier service than no telling what they will do in a 2 year agreement. No thanks!!! Not for me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bahahaha 2 min trudat 19
Jesse Oost- hope you know about your girl Brooke. (Aug '15) 9 min Name 3
Karen Bullock is so fine 40 min JJBRADLEY342 12
Cassandra Bolin 42 min yawn 3
Erica fentress 1 hr Lurking 39
Anthony Elliott (Jun '15) 1 hr Amber Nicole Brown 40
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Kentucky (... (Oct '10) 2 hr Real Conservative 680

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Owensboro Mortgages