DIRECTV vs. Dish Network

Posted in the Owensboro Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Just wondering

United States

#1 Jan 21, 2013
We are considering switching from Dish Network to DIRECTV. However, I am starting to hear from a few people about issues with DIRECTV losing signal during bad weather. Can anyone tell me if that is an issue from past years that has been resolved by DIRECTV or if it is an ongoing problem? We have had Dish Network for a few years now and have had very few problems with losing signal.
Jane

Richmond, KY

#2 Jan 21, 2013
DIRECTV. I love it, mine hasn't went out at all during bad weather.
sweet1234

Owensboro, KY

#4 Jan 21, 2013
I love it as well. So many more channels than dish or cable. Not sure what dish costs but it is cheaper than cable. It went out shortly when we had the heavy rains last week but other than that it has never went out and I've have it about a year.
im so sry
#6 Jan 21, 2013
well i also like my directv more than cable but ive had it for 4yrs and yes it does go out when there is really bad storms but it comes rite back thats the only thing bad with but everything else is lovely
millicent

Princeton, KY

#7 Jan 21, 2013
I switched from direct to dish. Both go out in bad weather. Its a satellite so it happens. Dish is cheaper because the packages are designed better.
Ive had both

Tucker, GA

#8 Jan 21, 2013
Dish is better for the money. I have direct cuz dish doesn't offer the MLB season package. Direct receivers are incredibly slow like an old dial up computer. No joke.
dishsucks

Saint Charles, KY

#9 Jan 21, 2013
I switched from Dish to Direct. Best decision i've made in 10 years
Dish smish

Lexington, KY

#10 Jan 21, 2013
I called to get the new 'hopper'. They wouldn't let me have it. Not at a discount, couldn't buy it, it just could not be in my future. I've been with them 17 years, it's a no go they said. So yeah I'm thinking about switching too.
Nash

Las Vegas, NV

#11 Feb 7, 2013
I just switched from DirecTV to Dish Network yesterday. I got the latest Hopper With Sling receiver. It is awesome technology to let you watch your programming from anywhere in the world on a computer.
I had DirecTV for 2 years. The picture quality and sound was quite good, especially on the HD channels. Dish quality seems to be at the same level.
I have 2 Joeys with the Hopper for 2 others TVs in the house. I have just started looking into the features of Dish and it seems that they offer more than DirecTV. If I had DirecTV's Genie, it might be be a fairer comparison. Dish's Hopper is awesome.
I rarely had signal outages with DirecTV, but we don't get very bad weather in Las Vegas.
I was upset with DirecTV last year when they had a problem with Viacom and 30 channels went off the air and DirecTV did not even let their customers know until weeks into it.
The bottom line is that after 2 years, DirecTV's rate went up so I switched to Dish Network and I feel like I made a good switch.
abc123

Anderson, CA

#12 Feb 7, 2013
Directv has more HD channels and if you want the hopper directv has the Geni. I've priced them both and for our viewing directv is cheaper
Dish smish

Lexington, KY

#13 Feb 7, 2013
abc123 wrote:
Directv has more HD channels and if you want the hopper directv has the Geni. I've priced them both and for our viewing directv is cheaper
After looking into the direct tv whole house DVR, I won't be able to have as many rooms as I do now.
Guess I'm just stuck with what I have. First world problems right?
abc123

Anderson, CA

#14 Feb 7, 2013
Dish smish wrote:
<quoted text>
After looking into the direct tv whole house DVR, I won't be able to have as many rooms as I do now.
Guess I'm just stuck with what I have. First world problems right?
It's the same basic technology, it's all in how you wire it. You should be able to get the same amount of rooms.

Level 1

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#15 Feb 8, 2013
Nash wrote:
I just switched from DirecTV to Dish Network yesterday. I got the latest Hopper With Sling receiver. It is awesome technology to let you watch your programming from anywhere in the world on a computer.
I had DirecTV for 2 years. The picture quality and sound was quite good, especially on the HD channels. Dish quality seems to be at the same level.
I have 2 Joeys with the Hopper for 2 others TVs in the house. I have just started looking into the features of Dish and it seems that they offer more than DirecTV. If I had DirecTV's Genie, it might be be a fairer comparison. Dish's Hopper is awesome.
I rarely had signal outages with DirecTV, but we don't get very bad weather in Las Vegas.
I was upset with DirecTV last year when they had a problem with Viacom and 30 channels went off the air and DirecTV did not even let their customers know until weeks into it.
The bottom line is that after 2 years, DirecTV's rate went up so I switched to Dish Network and I feel like I made a good switch.
Thanks for the info. I was undecided about what to get
bee

Owensboro, KY

#16 Feb 8, 2013
If anyone goes to directv soon, and wants to save an extra $10 a month for 10 months, I can give you my account number for refer-a-friend! I would love to save a bit
I love my Directv, but it can get a little expensive :)
email me : [email protected]
orlfla

Winter Park, FL

#17 Feb 24, 2013
Just as I thought. Several hits coming around the same time from the same area, Kentucky. Then, out of the blue, and ad for someone who wants to sign you up for directv. No, not today. I don't play that game.
bee

Owensboro, KY

#18 Feb 24, 2013
Lol I didn't throw a sales pitch. I said if anyone was signing up.
Personally I do love direct. But it is expensive.
brad_cad

Grand Rapids, MI

#19 Mar 13, 2013
bee wrote:
Lol I didn't throw a sales pitch. I said if anyone was signing up.
Personally I do love direct. But it is expensive.
Do you know if you can get more then one referral at the same time ie $20 discount with 2 referrals?
yezzir

Owensboro, KY

#20 Mar 13, 2013
brad_cad wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know if you can get more then one referral at the same time ie $20 discount with 2 referrals?
Yes you can I believe you can get up to 6. After that you have to take the $100 Visa cards.
I know

Clermont, KY

#21 Mar 13, 2013
Dish is a better deal.
Rosie

United States

#22 Apr 1, 2013
My 2 year committment with DirectTV is up and I see that my bill has jumped $20. Has anyone been able to negotiate a lower rate after their committment is over or don't they care? We were DISH customers for more than 10 years and when we tried to negotiate a lower rate, they didn't care, so we switched.$150/month for TV is crazy!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mudsharks at Hunter Douglas 34 min Triple K 5
I regret leaving my spouse 52 min Hmm 2
Barbara feldpausch is on meth 1 hr c 1
Who’s fault is this one 1 hr Not to wise 1
Blake Shelton sexiest man alive? Really? 1 hr Hes ok not the se... 6
anybody have any regrets about leaving your man 1 hr mistake 1
Dear black people 1 hr Living the dream 41

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance