First Prev
of 2
Next Last
a mom

United States

#21 Sep 8, 2012
just me wrote:
what kind of signs have u noticed if u don't mind me asking? are they sensitive to bright light & loud noise? what about their sleeping patterns?
There are patterns to everything with him. From the way he puts on his shoes to the way the other kids at school stand in line. Everything has to be the same with him. Any change takes a long time to get used to. He doesn't recognize facial expressions and tone of voice at all. He can't stand for anyone to touch certain toys, clothes, shoes, etc. some things he doesn't care of people touch, but he hides a lot of the things he doesn't want touched. He couldn't make eye contact up until about three months ago, we have worked on that for about two years, and he is finally able to make eye contact but he can't maintain it. He doesn't like to be touched unless he initiates the touching. If another kid tries to hug him he gets freaked out, but he will hug other kids. He takes everything literally. Just doesn't seem to grasp social skills at all. He does very well with older kids, but being with more than a few kids his own age is very stressful for him. Any change in routine is stressful for him, even if he enjoys the change like going to spend the night at his grandmother's house or going to the zoo. He still gets very stressed. And he is obsessive about some things. He tends to get "stuck" on a phrase or word, and will repeat it endlessly until someone reminds him to stop. Just a few of the things we have noticed.
just me

Dunmor, KY

#22 Sep 8, 2012
Well i ask this because i have friend that has a son that can't stand loud noises he will hold his ears, he constantly needs to wear sunglasses, he doesn't like to be touched only by certain people.
He likes to rebuild things over & over the same way. Doesn't do well on trips, wasn't able to potty train until the age of 4. He also will not sleep in his own bed, get's up everynight and has for the longest time in the middle of the night and climbs in bed with his mom. He didn't talk for the longest time either. I have suggested her to take him to someone but she refuses that there is anything wrong.
a mom

United States

#23 Sep 8, 2012
just me wrote:
Well i ask this because i have friend that has a son that can't stand loud noises he will hold his ears, he constantly needs to wear sunglasses, he doesn't like to be touched only by certain people.
He likes to rebuild things over & over the same way. Doesn't do well on trips, wasn't able to potty train until the age of 4. He also will not sleep in his own bed, get's up everynight and has for the longest time in the middle of the night and climbs in bed with his mom. He didn't talk for the longest time either. I have suggested her to take him to someone but she refuses that there is anything wrong.
My son doesn't like loud noises or bright light either. His eyes are much more sensitive than mine. He is 5, and he potty trained at age 3 for the day time, but didn't stop wetting the bed regularly until just a few months ago. He does get up a lot during the night, or he will just lay in bed awake. He doesn't sleep as much as most kids his age. When your friend's child starts school they will be able to tell if there is a problem and maybe they will be able to talk to her in a way that she will have to admit it and get him some help if he needs it.
The Prophet Mohammed

Oklahoma City, OK

#24 Dec 2, 2012
Hehehehe or maybe he just a nerd who never got his ass beat and never learned how to interact with other people without being a horse's ass. Islam cure them assburgers people real quick!

May Allah grant me piece and prey on me and my family
Typically

United States

#25 Dec 3, 2012
wondering what happened with your diagnosis. Someone already mentioned this earlier but you must be careful in telling the doctors he has asberger's. A lot of children are being misdiagnosed because this is the new fad diagnosis that is occurring in psychiatry. Good luck!
kristi

Utica, KY

#26 Dec 3, 2012
My son has it. He is genius. Social skills get better each year. He is 10. Not everyone wants to be social anyway.he did some physics courses at uk, gets invited to participate in highly academic studies . He has a very good and sweet disposition.
Aspergers and Autism

Owensboro, KY

#27 Dec 3, 2012
Asperger's syndrome is the same thing as autism, except that a person with Asperger's is more intelligent and communicates better. Asperger's has been reclassified by psychiatrists as being the same as autism, except that the diagnosis might mention Asperger's as a comment, but not as the main diagnosis, which is simply autism.
What it means to have autism is that your brain works better much better than average in some ways and much worse than average in other ways. The brain has a lot of different functions, so there are a lot of different symptoms. Which ways the brain works better, and which ways it works worse, are different between different autistic people. For those reasons, the overall set of symptoms is so different from one person to the next, that it's hard to see them as having the same condition. And there are so many symptoms, that it's hard to know how much of the person's personality depends on autism, and how much would be different if they didn't have it.
Some autistic people seem like jerks, some seem nice, some seem like geniuses, and some seem like monsters.
The scientific research into autism is still in its infancy. There is no way to predict what kinds of things will be discovered about it in the near future.
misspelled

Nashville, TN

#28 Dec 3, 2012
you spelled it wrong
No punctuation

Owensboro, KY

#29 Dec 3, 2012
misspelled wrote:
you spelled it wrong
Topics doesn't allow punctuation in the poster's name.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why would someone 22 min Cowards 1
Who NOT to go to for massage in Owensboro 39 min Hmmmm 1
best auto window tint shop in Owensboro? (Sep '14) 1 hr tim 3
The Cadillac Restaurant Buys Foodstamps 1 hr TherealTroy 3
Jerry W Sims (Feb '15) 1 hr time for a change 7
Dope headed women 2 hr Methyouknowit 8
Are all women lesbian or bi 2 hr Freedom 27
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Owensboro Mortgages