First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Concerned Citizen

Owensboro, KY

#1 May 30, 2013
So, I saw a discussion on here about Promise Land Metro on here a few pages back, so I thought I'd get the take on their competition. I consider them their biggest competition since they're both similar churches here in town. I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about it.

I used to attend the church with some friends and all was going good for a while. I was involved with a group that the church sponsored until it stopped meeting, that's when I went to the actual church. At the time, it was in the same building PMetro is in now. They seemed to be humble and down to Earth then. But when they moved into the bigger building on Frederica, that's when things started to go downhill. About a year or so after they were in the new building, they started to get this arrogance behind them. Eventually, the pastor began to say that River City was THE church to go to in Owensboro and if you didn't then something was wrong with you. It was also around this time they added in smoke to their "stage show." Now, I thought the lights were a cool touch when I first started to go, but then it became to excessive. It became all about the show they performed than it was about the purpose of the music.

Now, my time after going to the church I've heard some rather disturbing things. I won't share them just yet, but I will say this as a word of warning to those who do go there. After the things I've heard, I'll never leave my child or even my worst enemy's child in their care, EVER. Also, I just have this vibe that not all is what it seems with the church. We all know that alot of church congregations have their dirty little secrets, but I want to open this up to the public. Is there anything that any of you have heard about this church or anyone who goes there. Even if you go there, how do you honestly feel about the church?
anonymous

Owensboro, KY

#2 May 30, 2013
This church was started to make money.
They had a business, that failed horribly.
And decided on starting a tax free enterprise.
If you haven't noticed, they discuss tithing a LOT.
Concerned Citizen

Owensboro, KY

#3 May 30, 2013
Oh yeah, that's the BIG thing they'd always hit on, almost every service they'd mention tithing during the offering and how if you didn't do it basically God wasn't going to bless you for only giving in abundance. Kinda intimidated me at the time since my money was a bit too tight working part time minimum wage. But if you're referring to the Brother's Pizza, then I believe that went under while the church was just getting it's start on second street. They still ran it as a music venue though until like 2009 or something like that.
Concerned Citizen

Owensboro, KY

#4 May 30, 2013
Makes sense since all of the staff drive nice cars and can afford to buy all the latest toys and go on any trip they wanted in a moment's notice.
Concerned Citizen

Owensboro, KY

#6 May 31, 2013
Well, whatever works for you, I respect it. I consider myself a Christian but I don't think I'm a mindless Nazi, because I don't force my beliefs on people. I respect people for their beliefs, I know and have friends that are atheists or have no beliefs whatsoever. I have my beliefs and you have yours.

I believe that this church has become that of a cult in itself. Not only that, but I've heard some very dark things about their summer camps. A guy I used to work with, his fiancee has a friend who's a social worker and has been dealing with kids who went to a summer camp and her friend said that the camp leaders would molest them. Now you know why I'd never trust these jerks with my kids.
Man of God

Owensboro, KY

#8 May 31, 2013
I have been going to that Church since they started down on 2nd street. Brian and Jessica are great people! I love the Church and the people who work and attend there. My kids have been going to the daycare there since they were newborns. Don't believe everything you here. If you don't see it with your own eyes, then you have no place to lay judgement! Simple solution? If you don't enjoy it or don't believe they are there to preach the word of god, find another church home. all churches have rumors and talk of things that go on behind close doors....The stronger a church grows, the harder the devil works at planting seeds to tear it down!As far as the music, light and smoke? Nothing gets the spirit flowing like a good dose of praise and worship before the sermon!
Billy

United States

#9 May 31, 2013
Concerned Citizen wrote:
Well, whatever works for you, I respect it. I consider myself a Christian but I don't think I'm a mindless Nazi, because I don't force my beliefs on people. I respect people for their beliefs, I know and have friends that are atheists or have no beliefs whatsoever. I have my beliefs and you have yours.
I believe that this church has become that of a cult in itself. Not only that, but I've heard some very dark things about their summer camps. A guy I used to work with, his fiancee has a friend who's a social worker and has been dealing with kids who went to a summer camp and her friend said that the camp leaders would molest them. Now you know why I'd never trust these jerks with my kids.
And you claim to be a Christian?!?. AKA, Christ like. You really should take some time to read the bible. You've basically proven yourself to be everything but a Christian in your post.
Truth

United States

#10 May 31, 2013
I went there a few times. Theres a fine line between praise and performance. Its just a concert to me. I do know for a fact that they do not let the handicap people from Wendell Foster in the church for service. Thats the truth. They think they are too loud and disruptive. I would never go back in there. Its supposed to be The Lord's house. Come as you are. What about the least of men?
Truth

United States

#11 May 31, 2013
Thats from people that work at the Wendell Foster campus. And they aren't the only church to do it
Concerned Citizen

Owensboro, KY

#12 May 31, 2013
Billy wrote:
<quoted text>
And you claim to be a Christian?!?. AKA, Christ like. You really should take some time to read the bible. You've basically proven yourself to be everything but a Christian in your post.
And what makes you any better? I could say the same thing to you for casting judgment on me. Matthew 7:1, "Judge not, that ye be not judged." I live my life by that bible verse, by being as nonjudgmental as possible. If you remember, Jesus sought out to the ones who were broken. The liars, thieves, and harlots was who Jesus reached out to the most, not the ones who were "holy." Just because I don't shove my beliefs down other's throats that makes me less of a Christian.
Concerned Citizen

Owensboro, KY

#13 May 31, 2013
Man of God wrote:
I have been going to that Church since they started down on 2nd street. Brian and Jessica are great people! I love the Church and the people who work and attend there. My kids have been going to the daycare there since they were newborns. Don't believe everything you here. If you don't see it with your own eyes, then you have no place to lay judgement! Simple solution? If you don't enjoy it or don't believe they are there to preach the word of god, find another church home. all churches have rumors and talk of things that go on behind close doors....The stronger a church grows, the harder the devil works at planting seeds to tear it down!As far as the music, light and smoke? Nothing gets the spirit flowing like a good dose of praise and worship before the sermon!
If you enjoy going to the church then God bless you. I was just simply stating some of the things I've heard. Does that mean they are true? No. I understand that my post about the camp was a bit of here-say, and I honestly found it hard to believe myself, because the said co-worker had a bad tenancy to tell tall tales. I was just simply posting that was what I heard. Now, even though I'm unsure of weather it's true or not (odds are it probably isn't. Because I'm sure it would have become a big deal by now) doesn't change the fact that I would or wouldn't trust them with my kids. I'm very hard to sway when it comes to who watches my kids. I'm a bit over-protective of my kids and don't want anything to happen to them.
Concerned Citizen

Owensboro, KY

#14 May 31, 2013
Merged quotes
Truth wrote:
I went there a few times. Theres a fine line between praise and performance. Its just a concert to me. I do know for a fact that they do not let the handicap people from Wendell Foster in the church for service. Thats the truth. They think they are too loud and disruptive. I would never go back in there. Its supposed to be The Lord's house. Come as you are. What about the least of men?

Thats from people that work at the Wendell Foster campus. And they aren't the only church to do it
That's just absolutely horrible!!! Why would a church ban a specific type of person from coming into the doors? That's discrimination and that cannot and should not be happening!! Weather they're a disturbance or not, that fact is irrelevant, but that's no reason to say 'I'm sorry but you can't worship here.' It seems kinda like the whole thing with that CEO of abercrombie and fitch saying he didn't want people of a certain size or look to wear his clothes. I guess they only want a certain crowd to attend their services. A bit off topic, my woman just recently got a job there and she really seems to like it. Just curious, what other churches have this ban?
Truth

United States

#15 May 31, 2013
Churches like this are geared toward young professionals. People more affluent that don't want to hear a message from a pastor that might seem judgmental to people that want to do what they want to do without guilt. Aka "I'll live however through the week and then go to church on Sunday and its all ok." In all honesty, lots of people do that not just at that church. I would have to ask what other churches wouldn't let Wendell Foster residents come because I don't remember which ones did it too, but I know for a fact River City did it.
Truth

United States

#16 Jun 1, 2013
Its like a lot of mega churches. Though its not quite as big as some of those. Lets face it. Church is big business. And when dealing with success and money, its not hard to lose track of the real gospel of Jesus Christ
Well

New York, NY

#17 Jun 1, 2013
I don't know where you are getting that Wendell Foster is not welcome there?!?! They are there every Sunday!!! Some are even members!!! People need to get their facts right before they post on here.
citizen

United States

#18 Jun 1, 2013
I know first hand that RCC refused to marry a couple simply bc they lived together before marriage. They were long time members of the church and obviously left the congregation after that. And half their members are current and former addicts. Very contradicting church if you ask me.
Agrees

Owensboro, KY

#19 Jun 1, 2013
It's a cult. Just like promiseland. See you all in hell.
????

Barnesville, OH

#20 Jun 1, 2013
citizen wrote:
I know first hand that RCC refused to marry a couple simply bc they lived together before marriage. They were long time members of the church and obviously left the congregation after that. And half their members are current and former addicts. Very contradicting church if you ask me.
I agree. I worked with one who is in the inner circle. She was very judgemental, almost to the point that she was rude. I never understood the attitude. It wasn't very Christian-like in my eyes.
agnog

United States

#21 Jun 1, 2013
[QUOTE who="????"]<quote d text>I agree. I worked with one who is in the inner circle. She was very judgemental, almost to the point that she was rude. I never understood the attitude. It wasn't very Christian-like in my eyes.[/QUOTE]
Sounds very "christian-like"
????

United States

#22 Jun 1, 2013
agnog wrote:
[QUOTE who="????"]<quote d text>I agree. I worked with one who is in the inner circle. She was very judgemental, almost to the point that she was rude. I never understood the attitude. It wasn't very Christian-like in my eyes."

Sounds very "christian-like"
I'm sorry if that has been your experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tasha Shreve 11 min Hahaha 1
Magan put in jail feb 28th 59 min hi 4
Does this make you laugh? 1 hr Shellie 3
Black Guy Selling Fake Iphone 6's On Craigslist 2 hr google 5
Guys name at unifirst 4 hr Bbw 5
Cute Short Girl at Menards 4 hr V 2
Southern Little League 4 hr GayGuy 45
what happened on southhtown? 4 hr Jesus is a lie 10
Owensboro Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Owensboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 am PST

Bleacher Report 4:00AM
6 Best Options to Replace T-Rich This Offseason
Bleacher Report 8:12 AM
Buzz: Colts Eyeing Trades for Veteran WRs Including Marshall
Bleacher Report 9:58 AM
Vince Young Registered at NFL Vet Combine
Bleacher Report 1:40 PM
Wayne Undergoes Surgery on Triceps
NFL 2:44 PM
Reggie Wayne had surgery, mulling Colts future