Why do they want to consolidate all t...

Why do they want to consolidate all the playgrounds?

Posted in the Owensboro Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Country Height Mom

Owensboro, KY

#1 Jun 13, 2013
I don't understand why they are so hell bent on consolidating softball and baseball to centralized locations. I enjoy going to other playgrounds and competing against their teams. My kids want their friends on their team not a bunch of strangers.
Highland Dad

Owensboro, KY

#2 Jun 13, 2013
Country Height Mom wrote:
I don't understand why they are so hell bent on consolidating softball and baseball to centralized locations. I enjoy going to other playgrounds and competing against their teams. My kids want their friends on their team not a bunch of strangers.
First,I don't know that they are actually doing that. However, if they did I can tell you possible reasons.

1) Money, or lack thereof. You are blessed with a great facility at Country Heights. Most of the facilities are in decline or like Meadowlands don't even have lights. The playgrounds are on their own to fund, support and work those fields. Usually the same folks at the same fields year after year. It gets old and harder every year to scrape money and volunteers together.

2)My son moved to minor this year which was consolidated. I had the same hesitations as you. I must say it was the best year since he hass been playing. He had some friends on the team. He met new friends which is great. These kids are going to end up together by middle school or high school anyway. This allows them to know more people and broaden thier horizons.

I understand your feelings. I think if it does happen if you will give it a chance, you will like what you see. I did.

3) Numbers: Some playgrounds like Knottsville, Masonville don't get enough kids to field teams and then have to ship them off to other playgrounds.
baseball mom

Chicago, IL

#3 Jun 13, 2013
My son played consolidated this year and it was great. We are in a district that can't get enough kids for softball so my daughter didn't play this year. I would prefer all games/practices be at one location. It was a lot more convenient. Some people don't like change but don't dump on the idea if you haven't been personally involved in both ways.
baseball/softbal l mom

Bowling Green, KY

#4 Jun 13, 2013
Actually they tried and almost did consolidate softball this year. And they already have baseball. I don't agree with it at all. My kids like playing with their friends. I understand that some don't have enough for teams and I think they should have a choice to play at a playground closest to them. They say they are doing it to prevent team stacking and make it more fair. That's bullshit bc in the minor and major baseball this year at yellow creek there are teams that haven't won a single game and some that haven't lost at all. If it was to be more fair to the records should all be pretty close to the same. Just leave it all at the playgrounds and let the kids have fun!!!
Draft

Owensboro, KY

#5 Jun 13, 2013
[QUOTE who="baseball/softball mom"]Actually they tried and almost did consolidate softball this year. And they already have baseball. I don't agree with it at all. My kids like playing with their friends. I understand that some don't have enough for teams and I think they should have a choice to play at a playground closest to them. They say they are doing it to prevent team stacking and make it more fair. That's bullshit bc in the minor and major baseball this year at yellow creek there are teams that haven't won a single game and some that haven't lost at all. If it was to be more fair to the records should all be pretty close to the same. Just leave it all at the playgrounds and let the kids have fun!!![/QUOTE]

Did they do it by having an evaluation day and then drafting the teams? If so then a coach that wants a good team or knows what they're doing will draft the better players when it's their turn. If they're not worried about it or don't know how to select a team then that would explain the difference in team capabilities.
Highland Dad

Owensboro, KY

#6 Jun 13, 2013
[QUOTE who="baseball/softball mom"]Actually they tried and almost did consolidate softball this year. And they already have baseball. I don't agree with it at all. My kids like playing with their friends. I understand that some don't have enough for teams and I think they should have a choice to play at a playground closest to them. They say they are doing it to prevent team stacking and make it more fair. That's bullshit bc in the minor and major baseball this year at yellow creek there are teams that haven't won a single game and some that haven't lost at all. If it was to be more fair to the records should all be pretty close to the same. Just leave it all at the playgrounds and let the kids have fun!!![/QUOTE]

I can't speak for majors, but minor was very even. There were no teams that went undefeated, there were no teams that did not win a game. The league has coach evaluations for players and then draft so each team gets a player out of each level. Very fair as a matter of fact, no way to make it more fair. The records are close in minor.
acespop

Owensboro, KY

#7 Jun 13, 2013
Is it true west Co. Will consolidate at panther creek?
baseball/softbal l mom

Bowling Green, KY

#8 Jun 13, 2013
Highland Dad wrote:
[QUOTE who="baseball/softball mom"]Actually they tried and almost did consolidate softball this year. And they already have baseball. I don't agree with it at all. My kids like playing with their friends. I understand that some don't have enough for teams and I think they should have a choice to play at a playground closest to them. They say they are doing it to prevent team stacking and make it more fair. That's bullshit bc in the minor and major baseball this year at yellow creek there are teams that haven't won a single game and some that haven't lost at all. If it was to be more fair to the records should all be pretty close to the same. Just leave it all at the playgrounds and let the kids have fun!!!"

I can't speak for majors, but minor was very even. There were no teams that went undefeated, there were no teams that did not win a game. The league has coach evaluations for players and then draft so each team gets a player out of each level. Very fair as a matter of fact, no way to make it more fair. The records are close in minor.
Ur crazy!! No they are not
Coach

Owensboro, KY

#9 Jun 13, 2013
Highland dad is right. Every team won games, no team went undefeated. Every coach I talked to was pleased with the evaluation process and said it worked. The kids on my team had fun, met new friends and can't wait to play again next year. So the kids did have fun. Not sure what "baseball moms" problem is but I guess you can't please everyone.
Baller

Chicago, IL

#10 Jun 13, 2013
Taking kids away from the playgrounds is stupid. This has worked for over 35years. People work very hard at these playgrounds to keep them running and some people want to take those kids away when they don't want to go. Most parents don't want this and most kids don't either. They want to play close to home and play with kids they know.
Volunteer

Lewisport, KY

#11 Jun 14, 2013
Baller wrote:
Taking kids away from the playgrounds is stupid. This has worked for over 35years. People work very hard at these playgrounds to keep them running and some people want to take those kids away when they don't want to go. Most parents don't want this and most kids don't either. They want to play close to home and play with kids they know.
Not trying to put blame on anyone here, but the parents have more blame for this than they realize. Everyone wants the kids to stay at the playgrounds, play with their friends, ect., but NO ONE wants to step up and help run these playgrounds. It is the same people year after year. I have helped out at my playground for almost 5 years straight. My kids are getting older, and have other interests, so I am stepping away next year. If you want your playground to stay open, and want the kids to play there, then STEP UP and HELP ! Don't just sit back and complain.
Baseball Coach

Chicago, IL

#12 Jun 14, 2013
Some of you complaining probably didn't even come to one baseball game this year. In both levels of major and minor the teams were even, in minor only 1 team was not part of the common draft, that was a mistake, but hopefully they will see that it was good ball and will come together next year with everyone else. the problem is at the playgrounds there is no one to help, they are money pits. I know that if my home.playground had to pay for umpires every night out of concessions we would have lost money or barely broke even. Parents don't see that side of it. I know my son met some great kids and we met some new friends who we hope to keep up with after baseball is over. If we would have played at the playgrounds the same teams would have dominated like in the past. Don't knock it if you haven't seen it in action, it was a great program this season at the minor and major levels!
Coach

Owensboro, KY

#13 Jun 14, 2013
It's worked just fine for 35 years. If u don't have enough help to keep ur playground open, then close it. Most playgrounds are doing just fine. The whole parks league shouldn't have to suffer, just because certain people want all the money at their particular playground.
Observer

Owensboro, KY

#14 Jun 14, 2013
Coach wrote:
It's worked just fine for 35 years. If u don't have enough help to keep ur playground open, then close it. Most playgrounds are doing just fine. The whole parks league shouldn't have to suffer, just because certain people want all the money at their particular playground.
You must have had one of the dominant teams. I grew up playing county ball and the league is nothing compared to the way it use to be. Not as many people playing,parents not as involved,and all the rule changes from one day to the next is ridiculous. That's why the catholic league is growing each year. They have great coaches,the parents help out and you don't have all the fighting,and it's just a great environment. I know several people that have switched in the last coup years and more that plan to switch next year. Plus in the 10&u softball in county you have that stupid 1&1 rule where you automatically have one ball and one strike against you when you step in the box. That had a lot of people mad. They say they do it to save the pitcher's arm but if you have to do that then you mine as well keep that division machine pitch until they are old enough and their arms are strong enough to pitch. Don't start adding crazy rules that alter the basics of the game. Even the coaches were upset about it.
Baseball Coach

Earlington, KY

#15 Jun 15, 2013
Coach wrote:
You know that most playgrounds are doing just fine? Do you have access to their financial records? What playground are you referring to that wants all the money? Most playgrounds don't have the manpower to operate. Concession stands need workers, so you have to pay them. if you have umpires they have to be paid too, lights they cost money to run, water, uniforms, insurance, mowing, chalk, sanctioning fees, equipment. The expenses go on and on. The Parks department isn't going to force consolidation, but if playground presidents vote for it then it will happen. If you want to them to remain then take a leadership role, run for president! Then you can be the one who takes off work to drag the field or run to Sam's club to buy Ring Pops. Or has to leave his family every night to drive to the ballpark to collect the money bag. All of this work for the whopping salary of $0! I bet you are one of those people who sits in the stands with all the ideas but never gets up to help at practice or even bothers to check that box to help coach on the application.
Parent

Earlington, KY

#16 Jun 17, 2013
I am all for consolidating to 1 spot. I already do it for Soccer, Football and Basketball. Easy to go to one spot everytime. Nobody likes change, but typically its always a good thing in the end.
sorgho parent

Dunmor, KY

#17 Jun 17, 2013
Parent wrote:
I am all for consolidating to 1 spot. I already do it for Soccer, Football and Basketball. Easy to go to one spot everytime. Nobody likes change, but typically its always a good thing in the end.
Ok u say u are ok about going to one spot overtime, would u be ok going to Sorgho or Whitesville or some of the other further out places? That's a huge in incidence for people further out when we originally played close to home. Some parents that work full time jobs but kids really want to play can't take off work early each time they have to travel further to get to practices or games.
Parent

Earlington, KY

#19 Jun 17, 2013
sorgho parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok u say u are ok about going to one spot overtime, would u be ok going to Sorgho or Whitesville or some of the other further out places? That's a huge in incidence for people further out when we originally played close to home. Some parents that work full time jobs but kids really want to play can't take off work early each time they have to travel further to get to practices or games.
Don't people already do this for other sports? Why is baseball so different? People drive from West county to Horse Fork creek for Soccer, or drive from Stanley or Whitesville to Waymond Morris for football. No different. The Presidents would have to approve any consolidation plan anyways, I doubt they would mix West and East county. Probably do your more central East and West sites for the programs, Country Heights, Burns, Thruston, Highland, Moreland. These are Central to their sides of the county and could handle high traffic. Makes sense to do it all at 1 spot, less Rakes, Chalk and other expenses. More help when everyone is together.
umm no

Russellville, KY

#20 Jun 17, 2013
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>Don't people already do this for other sports? Why is baseball so different? People drive from West county to Horse Fork creek for Soccer, or drive from Stanley or Whitesville to Waymond Morris for football. No different. The Presidents would have to approve any consolidation plan anyways, I doubt they would mix West and East county. Probably do your more central East and West sites for the programs, Country Heights, Burns, Thruston, Highland, Moreland. These are Central to their sides of the county and could handle high traffic. Makes sense to do it all at 1 spot, less Rakes, Chalk and other expenses. More help when everyone is together.
More help? Yea right. More like the same stupid idiots trying to run everything like Shelton with the baseball.
Baller

Chicago, IL

#21 Jun 17, 2013
Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't people already do this for other sports? Why is baseball so different? People drive from West county to Horse Fork creek for Soccer, or drive from Stanley or Whitesville to Waymond Morris for football. No different. The Presidents would have to approve any consolidation plan anyways, I doubt they would mix West and East county. Probably do your more central East and West sites for the programs, Country Heights, Burns, Thruston, Highland, Moreland. These are Central to their sides of the county and could handle high traffic. Makes sense to do it all at 1 spot, less Rakes, Chalk and other expenses. More help when everyone is together.
Yeah and just leave places like whitesville high and dry even though its the biggest and has the most kids that makes a lot of sense, it's all crap leave it alone because that's what the people want

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Micheal & Lauren Dennison 1 hr Neverapartlong 6
Kayela Ellis 1 hr Preach 20
Eliza Buck 1 hr UghOhYouRAHoe 2
Lincolnshire Apartment Remodel 2 hr Curious 1
Who Are Thieves Around Cravens? 2 hr Yep 27
Realtor Sam Ray 4 hr TellCityPride82 8
Misty howard 4 hr Obviously you care 3
Guess who I am 5 hr jesse 18

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web