Current Amount to Tip a hairstylist ?

Posted in the Owensboro Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
customer

Earlington, KY

#1 Dec 3, 2012
What is the current amount to tip a hairstylist for 15-$20 cut. I have had two act like the amount I leave is an insult.
???

Calvert City, KY

#3 Dec 3, 2012
I never leave a tip unless they went above and beyond what I thought I wanted. Only left a tip once in my entire life.
???

Calvert City, KY

#4 Dec 3, 2012
And if they give you attitude about not getting one I wouldn't go back. It's your money. And there over charging you for services any way.
stylists

United States

#5 Dec 3, 2012
I average $5-$10 but I'm pretty blessed. The usual is $2-$3. Hope this helps!
customer

Earlington, KY

#6 Dec 3, 2012
people leave a $10 tip on a $15-20 haircut?? I like the lady who cuts my hair and she does a good job. But I would never have guess a $5-10 tip on a hair cut. I would leave maybe that much on a color. The haircutters act more appreciative of my money on a zero tip verus a $3 tip. I just thought I might be insulting them.
customer

Earlington, KY

#7 Dec 3, 2012
[QUOTE who="???"]And if they give you attitude about not getting one I wouldn't go back. It's your money. And there over charging you for services any way.[/QUOTE]

Yes I know haircuts have become WAY OVERPRICED in the Owensboro area. But this lady does a good job and I prefer to go to her since she does. Because I have gone to some real idiots who shouldnt cut even a doll's hair. So I am willing to pay a little more than the $10 cost cutter hair cut. But let's face it. If cost cutters can pay employees and only charge $10 these independent ones who pay booth rental can charge close to the same if they wanted to. A lot of hair stylists only work a few days out of the week. Wish we all could work part time and expect full time wages.
MAD

Earlington, KY

#8 Dec 3, 2012
truth is wrote:
If I don't like the stylist, the hair cut, or the style, I don't leave a tip. This is MY hair. If they want better tips they need to give better service. Period. There is an epidemic of bad hair dressers here.
SO TRUE- Whitney at the Swank could not cut hair if she had to. She is more talk than anything. She sits on a chair and cuts hair. She is not pregnant so I dont know why she sits to cut hair??? WONT BE BACK.
SALON

Earlington, KY

#9 Dec 3, 2012
stylists wrote:
I average $5-$10 but I'm pretty blessed. The usual is $2-$3. Hope this helps!
What salon do you work at?
trick

Whitestown, IN

#10 Dec 3, 2012
Swank has several losers doing hair there.
sweet1234

United States

#11 Dec 3, 2012
10-15 % is what I leave but my stylist is also a good friend of mine. I would feel bad not leaving a tip or leaving a crappy tip.
lmao

Owensboro, KY

#12 Dec 3, 2012
MAD wrote:
<quoted text>SO TRUE- Whitney at the Swank could not cut hair if she had to. She is more talk than anything. She sits on a chair and cuts hair. She is not pregnant so I dont know why she sits to cut hair??? WONT BE BACK.
What does she look like?
truth is

United States

#13 Dec 3, 2012
MAD wrote:
<quoted text>SO TRUE- Whitney at the Swank could not cut hair if she had to. She is more talk than anything. She sits on a chair and cuts hair. She is not pregnant so I dont know why she sits to cut hair??? WONT BE BACK.
Because she is getting so damn fat. I she'd get up and move around she might lose some weight. I will never go back there. She cut almost a foot off my hair when I only asked for two inches.
cuts

Owensboro, KY

#14 Dec 3, 2012
5-10 is the usual on cuts 20 on colors .. During Xmas 40 isn't in heard of on a color . Usually ppl who pull in tips like this do extra and are never let their clients leave unhappy ..
Sorry

Earlington, KY

#15 Dec 3, 2012
cuts wrote:
5-10 is the usual on cuts 20 on colors .. During Xmas 40 isn't in heard of on a color . Usually ppl who pull in tips like this do extra and are never let their clients leave unhappy ..
You must only do doctor and lawyer wife's hair. Because leaving a $20 is unheard of to me. And $40 on a color is INSANE. After taxes I don't even make $40 after an 8 hour day. I think stylists are just getting too damn greedy. WAKE UP the majority of women in Owensboro only make $8 an hour. I think stylist on here are just giving B.S. responses to see if people will fall for these false tip quotes. Even a 1 cent tip is a compliment because it's more than what the price is!
i am a hairdresser

White Plains, KY

#16 Dec 3, 2012
I have done hair for well over 10 years and as far as tips go there is a wide range! Anything is appreciated no matter how small. Yes there are some around Xmas that do give large tips but its considered a Xmas present to the hairdresser. And no not all hairdressers are greedy or not appreciate what they get. And I know about what people make and for the clients who struggle I will charge less to make sure they don't go bankrupt yet still get there color. ESP when they have family problems and emergency If you don't have a hairdresser like that than chances are you hop around and don't have a steady person you go to. Because if you did they become your friends
Tip

Earlington, KY

#17 Dec 3, 2012
sweet1234 wrote:
10-15 % is what I leave but my stylist is also a good friend of mine. I would feel bad not leaving a tip or leaving a crappy tip.
Any tip shows appreciation.$3 on a $20 cut is 15% and that is what I was taught a tip on a waitress should be. That is what I thought hairstylists should expect also. But these hairstylist on this thread expecting a 50% tip ($10 on a $20 cut) that is just not right. Then a $20 tip on a $55 hair color that is $20 tip and others think $40 tip on a $55 color is a 72% tip. Just because it's xmas time doesnt mean I should be expected to pay for your xmas gifts. If you want more $ then you should take more clients during the holidays. DUH!
Swank

Earlington, KY

#18 Dec 3, 2012
Swank staff was rude to me when I walked in. I was treated as if I was a bum off the street because my hair did not look good. Of course my hair looked bad I was there to get a hair cut. If my hair looked good I would not need their services.
TAXES

Earlington, KY

#19 Dec 3, 2012
Does the IRS have an automatic charge to hair dressers like they do waitress? I think the IRS automatically charges 9% on waitresses so if you don't leave at least a 9% tip the waitress is on a 9% loss.
Liberal Wisenheimer

United States

#20 Dec 3, 2012
If they give you that stupid cut where the back is shorter than the front, they should pay you.

Level 3

Since: Sep 12

Owensboro, Kentucky

#21 Dec 3, 2012
I've left over $20 tips for hairstylists before because my hair is super thick and curly, so it usually takes them a couple hours for a cut and color. But I don't get my hair done often anymore because it is so expensive. But if I am spending money on something, I am to make sure the stylist knows that I appreciate the time spent. But I'm sure they are thankful for any tip they receive.

Stylists, how much would you expect to see for something small, like an eyebrow wax?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jacob (jake) leach snitch (May '13) 8 min ooooooops 8
Iva Ellis 18 min angry 18
David Miles..what kinda guy is he.. 34 min Inspector gadget 5
Billy Norris 38 min Jack 29
Jeni melhiser 38 min Jwjw 1
Old National Bank 40 min The Duder 1
Megan Gregory Collins 51 min Curious 30

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance