First Prev
of 3
Next Last
concerned in kentucky

Owensboro, KY

#1 Feb 18, 2013
I know alot of people in Owensboro really love going to cracker barrel resturant to eat but if they knew hoe the employees were actually treated would they approve. The law says you have to have a 10 min break every 4 hours and a 30 min break every 8 hours but that rarely if ever happens at Cracker Barrel in Owensboro, Ky. The employees there are lucky if they get a 10 min break in 8 hours if they get any and you don't want to get sick because if you take off or call in you will probably get wrote up and your hours will get cut. These are unfair practices but jobs are so hard to come by everyone is afraid to speak up and say anything. Something should be done.
concerned in kentucky

Owensboro, KY

#2 Feb 18, 2013
Yes I heard about a lady that worked there her husband had a heart attack and she called in to work and was wrote up for that. What kind of boss would do that. I think Cracker Barrel should take a closer look at whose running their stores its not always all about sales there are people that make those sales happen and they deserve fair treatment
Really

Owensboro, KY

#3 Feb 18, 2013
If the break issue is in fact true. And I don't doubt it for a minuet. Then what the employees should do is complain to the state. They will investigate and believe me they will. Cracker Barrel will be fined and when corp. office finds out I assure you. It won't happen again.
Former employee

Owensboro, KY

#4 Feb 18, 2013
The complaints have been made. Now there is a system they set up. When you go to clock out on the computer/micro, you have to answer whether you took a break or not before it allows you to clock out. You can answer you took your break, a break was denied to you, or you refused to take one. Managers will question you if you put break denied, call you into the office, and say you need to put that you refused a break. I have had managers clock me out and put that I had a break or refused one when that was not the case. In the end hours end up getting cut. Or my favorite, the split shift. Instead of an 8 hour shift, they now have you work 4 hours leave for an hour and come back for another short shift.

This has always been an issue with Cracker Barrel. The problem never gets fixed, and the managers always figure out a way to get around it or cover up the problem. I think the way to fix the problem would be to stop giving managers a bonus check for making labor. Maybe they could have enough employees on shift so the job gets done and breaks can be given.
SaraZ

Owensboro, KY

#5 Feb 18, 2013
I don't understand why everyone eats there, pretty crappy food if you ask me.
Former employee

Owensboro, KY

#7 Feb 18, 2013
The food sucks for a reason. If you were to go into the kitchen it would be completely obvious. There will be only one cook, due to trying to save labor and get around the whole break issue. Or there might be no cook at all. Might be a manager cooking. And I had worked there for way too many years to know one thing, managers can NOT cook. The care about the food getting out fast, yield, and that's it.
maybe

Owensboro, KY

#8 Feb 18, 2013
concerned in kentucky wrote:
I know alot of people in Owensboro really love going to cracker barrel resturant to eat but if they knew hoe the employees were actually treated would they approve. The law says you have to have a 10 min break every 4 hours and a 30 min break every 8 hours but that rarely if ever happens at Cracker Barrel in Owensboro, Ky. The employees there are lucky if they get a 10 min break in 8 hours if they get any and you don't want to get sick because if you take off or call in you will probably get wrote up and your hours will get cut. These are unfair practices but jobs are so hard to come by everyone is afraid to speak up and say anything. Something should be done.
Law is 30 minute lunch after six hours of work
Lies

Owensboro, KY

#9 Feb 18, 2013
I dont know what you all are talking about but when i worked there i got a 30 min lunch and got paid while eating my 50% off meal.....if the workers dont like it then they shouldnt work there. What customers dont know is obviously they do get some type of break because employees are in the employee bathrooms smoking, haha. And i know that for a fact also. BTW complain more about cracker barrel, no matter what the situation is people are still going to go there just like any other business thats messed up. We all still go! Lets hear you whine about something more i work on saturdays dont get a lunch break or two 15 min breaks and i work 8-6. I have to eat my food while being interupted by rude people. So have a nice day puss bags.
tobeornottobe

Owensboro, KY

#10 Feb 18, 2013
Lies wrote:
I dont know what you all are talking about but when i worked there i got a 30 min lunch and got paid while eating my 50% off meal.....if the workers dont like it then they shouldnt work there. What customers dont know is obviously they do get some type of break because employees are in the employee bathrooms smoking, haha. And i know that for a fact also. BTW complain more about cracker barrel, no matter what the situation is people are still going to go there just like any other business thats messed up. We all still go! Lets hear you whine about something more i work on saturdays dont get a lunch break or two 15 min breaks and i work 8-6. I have to eat my food while being interupted by rude people. So have a nice day puss bags.
When did you work there
Jesse

Cadiz, KY

#12 Feb 18, 2013
We need a burger, we need some fried chicken, we need some pancakes, we need some grits, we need a government program...
rollin

Owensboro, KY

#13 Feb 18, 2013
Jesse, I don't know who you are, but I see you on posts frequently with that last saying. It cracks me up! LOL! Love ya :-)
Yoshiyuki

Owensboro, KY

#15 Feb 19, 2013
I understand the need for breaks but if you all are unhappy why not just quit? If all if their employees quit at once because of the "no break" policy then they would be in a world of trouble.
idk

Owensboro, KY

#17 Feb 19, 2013
Cracker barrel is a terrible place to work. When I worked there we got our 30 minutes lunch break BUT the servers had to make sure they covered each other..managers could have cared less. And on breaks the managers always harassed us and tried to make us hurry up. There is no (or wasn't then) overtime allowed at all. Even the severs that only made 2.13 an hour, so even if it made us short staffed on a Friday night, you had to go if you would even get close to 40 hours.

As far as the smoking in the bathroom....everyone did it. But it was because we weren't even allowed to go outside unless you were taking trash out. But the managers couldnt say nothing...they were in there smoking with us.

And yes they could care less about your health or family. I was had laryngitis and literally had no voice and they still made me work, or I would have been wrote up. Needless to say I was embarrassed and had to have regulars take up for me so I could go home,
Mari

United States

#18 Feb 21, 2013
I do enjoy eating at Cracker Barrel !

Level 3

Since: Feb 13

Location hidden

#19 Feb 21, 2013
quit working there immediately. That way they can hire someone that is smart enough to get their work done and take breaks...
that girl

United States

#20 Feb 21, 2013
I work at Cracker Barrel no at this one but we only have on problem and that's a manager is our problem !!!!!

We take brakes ! And most of us do our jobs
rollin is an idiot

Paducah, KY

#21 Feb 21, 2013
rollin wrote:
Jesse, I don't know who you are, but I see you on posts frequently with that last saying. It cracks me up! LOL! Love ya :-)
It's so touching that you two idiots found each other! A wet fart is funnier than that idiots non-joke repeated for the thousandth time!!
concerned in kentucky

Owensboro, KY

#22 Feb 23, 2013
Yoshiyuki wrote:
I understand the need for breaks but if you all are unhappy why not just quit? If all if their employees quit at once because of the "no break" policy then they would be in a world of trouble.
Theres a reason they have labor laws in the state of kentucky to protect the employees so that people don't have to quit their job to get treated fair and right. If the place you worked did this to you would you quit and give up your only source of income espically with a family, no I doubt it and neither should the workers at cracker barrell. People there are all smiles and nice when actually they probably feel the opposite. Its all about cutting costs and its not fair to the employee. Do not judge unless you know
concerned in kentucky

Owensboro, KY

#23 Feb 23, 2013
Jesse wrote:
We need a burger, we need some fried chicken, we need some pancakes, we need some grits, we need a government program...
i agree with you Jesse
concerned in kentucky

Owensboro, KY

#24 Feb 23, 2013
tobeornottobe wrote:
<quoted text>
When did you work there
I work on sat and dont get any brakes and dont get to eat when did you work there? apprently not at that store

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Owensboro Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 5 min ernest t 7,214
Winter Kelly 6 min Hahahahaha 9
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min Cornelius Scudmister 155,457
Mariah Kelly 31 min beat 8
Rebecca Hindman 45 min Please die 1
Trevor Quinn 59 min Seeking Justice 1
Iron order mc vs real club (Mar '13) 1 hr truth 222

Owensboro Jobs

Owensboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Owensboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Owensboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]