ready for kindergarten?

ready for kindergarten?

Posted in the Owensboro Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
mom

Owensboro, KY

#1 Jan 29, 2013
My daughter will be 5 in September. We have the choice of whether to send her to kindergarten next year or do a 3rd year of preschool due to her birthday. She does great in school but I don't know if I should send her or not. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Tucker, GA

#2 Jan 29, 2013
Same thing a my son. September b.day he had 2 yrs preschool and at 5 went to kindergarten.he's in the 5t grade and commented yesterday he was glad he was the youngest in class anyway worked out great for him. Ab honor roll every year

Level 1

Since: Jan 11

Owensboro

#3 Jan 29, 2013
mom wrote:
My daughter will be 5 in September. We have the choice of whether to send her to kindergarten next year or do a 3rd year of preschool due to her birthday. She does great in school but I don't know if I should send her or not. Any suggestions or experience with this?
I sent my daughter who also has a September birthday when she was 4. She turned 5 while in kindergarten. She has done very well! She loves school. If for some reason there was any problems she can stay in kindergarten another year. Give her the chance to prove she can do it!
mom

Owensboro, KY

#4 Jan 29, 2013
Girl yes send her. I did my daughter and she was fine. If it were a boy I'd say wait. They don't mature as fast as girls and just aren't ready.
chas

Owensboro, KY

#5 Jan 29, 2013
My sons teacher at audubon said my son is above his age group and many higher age groups in all categories. This was his first year of head start. Next year he will be in preschool. He turns 5 in October. I have been told by many parent they will try to put him in kindergarden. I really don't think it would be best to skip up. What do y'all think

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Tucker, GA

#6 Jan 29, 2013
chas wrote:
My sons teacher at audubon said my son is above his age group and many higher age groups in all categories. This was his first year of head start. Next year he will be in preschool. He turns 5 in October. I have been told by many parent they will try to put him in kindergarden. I really don't think it would be best to skip up. What do y'all think
what is head start? I've heard of it, just wonder what's difference from that and preschool.
send

Owensboro, KY

#7 Jan 29, 2013
Send her. She'll learn more in kindergarten than preschool, and if she's not ready to handle first grade, you can repeat kindergarten. Was in a similar dilemma with my son, who turned 5 right before school began, but has shown to be behind somewhat, at least socially, so he may have to repeat. But I think having him in kindergarten was better than daycare or preschool.
chas

Owensboro, KY

#8 Jan 29, 2013
kristilou wrote:
<quoted text>what is head start? I've heard of it, just wonder what's difference from that and preschool.
Not much difference between head start and preschool he couldn't get into preschool last year cause they said that he was to smart and didn't need it so the only way he could go to school was if I enrolled him In headstart
chas

Owensboro, KY

#9 Jan 29, 2013
send wrote:
Send her. She'll learn more in kindergarten than preschool, and if she's not ready to handle first grade, you can repeat kindergarten. Was in a similar dilemma with my son, who turned 5 right before school began, but has shown to be behind somewhat, at least socially, so he may have to repeat. But I think having him in kindergarten was better than daycare or preschool.
U are probably right. It's probably best
lol

Princeton, KY

#10 Jan 30, 2013
send wrote:
Send her. She'll learn more in kindergarten than preschool, and if she's not ready to handle first grade, you can repeat kindergarten. Was in a similar dilemma with my son, who turned 5 right before school began, but has shown to be behind somewhat, at least socially, so he may have to repeat. But I think having him in kindergarten was better than daycare or preschool.
Yeah especially since its free.
Fun

Owensboro, KY

#11 Jan 30, 2013
My mom didn't start me in kindergarten until I was 6. I turned 7 in kindergarten. I was always a year older than everyone. They asked me if I got held back. I hated that she sent me late. Plus kids learn more in their first five years so I would definitely send them early.

Level 1

Since: Jan 13

Tucker, GA

#12 Jan 30, 2013
chas wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much difference between head start and preschool he couldn't get into preschool last year cause they said that he was to smart and didn't need it so the only way he could go to school was if I enrolled him In headstart
how silly is that? He could have helped the other kids by being an example if intelligence!!!! Sorry but we need the smart children.
teacher

Owensboro, KY

#13 Jan 30, 2013
There is no difference between headstart and preschool. Considering all of the city preschools a 90% of the county ARE headstart...yes, even the ones in the elementary school. I don't know where your child goes to school but it does make a difference in whether you have a choice to keep them in preschool an extra year. If your child's school is in the school system (Owensboro Public or Daviess County) and your child turns 5 on or before October 1, they cannot return to pre-k next year...not in the school setting anyway. If your child attends full day full year headstart sometimes they'll let them come back. But full day full year headstart is only for children who are either from a low income household or have a disability. Good luck.
Sup

Tucker, GA

#14 Jan 30, 2013
chas wrote:
My sons teacher at audubon said my son is above his age group and many higher age groups in all categories. This was his first year of head start. Next year he will be in preschool. He turns 5 in October. I have been told by many parent they will try to put him in kindergarden. I really don't think it would be best to skip up. What do y'all think
You have to be 5 by October 1st to start Kindergarten. They can't make him skip.
Sup

Tucker, GA

#15 Jan 30, 2013
mom wrote:
My daughter will be 5 in September. We have the choice of whether to send her to kindergarten next year or do a 3rd year of preschool due to her birthday. She does great in school but I don't know if I should send her or not. Any suggestions or experience with this?
I would say that is your choice based on her maturity and not ability. What would scare me is sending her to college at 17. That would be the biggest factor in my decision.
mom

Owensboro, KY

#16 Jan 30, 2013
Thank you all so much! We are leaning towards sending her and hold her back if needed after that. I am having a conference with her teachers tomorrow to see what they think.
chas

Hawesville, KY

#17 Jan 30, 2013
That's only reason he got to go to head start because of income and asthma. He goes to audubon elementary. But next year will be going to west Louisville. He turns 5 on oct 19.
chas

Hawesville, KY

#18 Jan 30, 2013
That's what I am worried about when he gets older. But they say even his social skills are above level of his age he's the class clown scared he might get bored and stop trying so hard
chas

Hawesville, KY

#19 Jan 30, 2013
mom wrote:
Thank you all so much! We are leaning towards sending her and hold her back if needed after that. I am having a conference with her teachers tomorrow to see what they think.
Hope everything works out good
wiseA

Owensboro, KY

#20 Jan 30, 2013
teacher wrote:
There is no difference between headstart and preschool. Considering all of the city preschools a 90% of the county ARE headstart...yes, even the ones in the elementary school. I don't know where your child goes to school but it does make a difference in whether you have a choice to keep them in preschool an extra year. If your child's school is in the school system (Owensboro Public or Daviess County) and your child turns 5 on or before October 1, they cannot return to pre-k next year...not in the school setting anyway. If your child attends full day full year headstart sometimes they'll let them come back. But full day full year headstart is only for children who are either from a low income household or have a disability. Good luck.
We have fee based slots in several county schools.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dee Dee Dennis 8 min Curious 1
Snap chat Megan Mcfadden 19 min Maid4u 1
Megan McFadden 20 min J smith 1
Need advice about low income couple. Everyone, ... 32 min Hannah 3
a good friend came by we had a good talk bout s... 1 hr Wondering 10
Prostitution At Motel 6 1 hr Freeman129 6
Downtown 1 hr Scott 3
Do any of you stupid felons know... 1 hr Ford1235 4

Owensboro Jobs

Personal Finance

Owensboro Mortgages