Is there no other draw to Owensboro?

Is there no other draw to Owensboro?

Posted in the Owensboro Forum

Richmond, KY

#1 Aug 20, 2013
All I ever hear from people is that this is a good place to raise a family. that it? Doesn't really seem like there's much here and that line could be a way of saying something nice rather than nothing at all because if you didn't say something you'd feel like an ass for living here to begin with. Wtf is up with this town?

United States

#2 Aug 20, 2013
Nothing. Nothing, at all.

Richmond, KY

#3 Aug 20, 2013
Figured as much. I keep hearing about things that go on around here like stuff that goes on downtown and all but it's events that are few and far between. Seems like the only things to do in this town between certain events is go to church or eat at Toribio
God No

Owensboro, KY

#4 Aug 20, 2013
Owensboro sucks. The whole city is made up of fast food, banks, and gas stations. Down town looks pretty good, but it seems like its aimed more towards the rich. The events we have here are pretty stupid. What's considered an event here anyways? The romp fest? That's like watching duck dynasty in 3D. Owensboro needs to start using the money they waste on repeating businesses towards newer things that will bring people into this city and keep the people that have to deal with living here.

Hopkinsville, KY

#5 Aug 20, 2013
The problem with this "town" is that has no real cultural sense of identity. And as much as Keith Lawrence has it in his head that this is some kinda bluegrass mecca, well, it just isn't true. Take me on a tour of local places where these bluegrass icons have spent some time, Keith. Please! Show me a hotel or rooming house where Bill Monroe might have crashed for a night or two! And the "booming" downtown(all three blocks of it...)really isn't worth checking out. And DON'T even get me started on the whole Johnny Depp's hometown business...
The thing is

Evansville, IN

#8 Aug 20, 2013
The thing is. This town WANTS to be a retirement town. There are so many things this town could do. But won't.
Getting the kids out

Owensboro, KY

#9 Aug 21, 2013
The thing is wrote:
The thing is. This town WANTS to be a retirement town. There are so many things this town could do. But won't.
This couldn't be more true! This town is crap for raising kids! The school systems are terrible, there is absolutely nothing here for children of any age unless you go to a park, and there are no decent paying jobs. Sure we have the hospital and a few factories, but nothing of any real value. Nothing at all that encourages mental growth. As someone stated above, it's mediocre. Mediocrity is fine for the barely educated bunch that lives here generation after generation, but if you want culture or "finer" things, you need to travel. Since kids were mentioned, have you really looked at the bunch around here? They're barely educated and typically ill-mannered. This isn't a town for families.

Richmond, KY

#10 Aug 21, 2013
I've tried to give Owensboro a shot. I tried not to be to harsh about the lack of things to do because I moved here from the nations capital and am used to any day of the week at any point in time having something I can go and do or get involved in. People keep telling me there are things up my alley to do I just have to find them and that's the difficulty here. Unless you know just the right people to invite you to a game, concert, debate, there is no chance of being involved in anything.

United States

#11 Aug 21, 2013
MoM wrote:
Owensboro is the international Mecca of Mediocrity (MoM) which attracts mediocre people from all over the world.

Even Waffle House had to close, because it wasn't mediocre enough. Sears was indecisive, but was finally determined to be the perfect level of mediocrity for Owensboro.
People here are very immature.
Getting the kids out

Owensboro, KY

#12 Aug 21, 2013
Transplant, I've lived here all of my life. I stayed, like many, because of family. Now that I have my own I refuse to remain in this stale environment and limit their possibilities. I want my children to be successful and well cultured. You're just not going to find that here. For those who do not have children, you're still extremely limited on mentally engaging activities. We do have a theater workshop, but that's about it. I've been to many shows at the River Park and while some have been great performances, don't expect a Broadway production. Again, as someone previously pointed out, Owensboro is working hard to become a slow paced retirement city.

Newburgh, IN

#13 Aug 21, 2013
My children didn't come back here after college, there is nothing here for them. There aren't any well paying jobs in their fields, no entertainment for them, nothing. They stayed in their college cities where there are constantly things to do, or they are at least a closer drive to the big cities.

Ocala, FL

#14 Aug 21, 2013
Owensboro is full of drugs and sluts. Just read the other threads on topix.
NOT a good place for anyone, but certainly NEVER for kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Etta Evelyn Fulkerson Martinez (Sep '13) 1 min food time 12
Alcoa job (Nov '13) 13 min Bobber 15
Dts get Mike Adam's??? Wtf??? Heard someone sni... 17 min Lostsoul82 13
Jason dowdy,Shannon dowdy,and Jason dowdy girlf... 27 min Lone man 44
Beth Boswell 39 min Gingerbeer 18
shipping containers at walmart? Is Jade Helm ha... (Aug '15) 47 min LIes 7
News Owensboro No. 2 on plant expansion ranking 1 hr HigherLevel 2

Owensboro Jobs

Personal Finance

Owensboro Mortgages