Why do people not understand others w...

Why do people not understand others with Mental Health Issues?

Posted in the Owensboro Forum

someone please tell me

Cadiz, KY

#1 Jan 17, 2013
Why is that people that have mental health issues their families and friends that don't have that disease or problem don't understand or don't care to understand? Like that this is a hereditary thing given to them they did not choose this. I really think if they stepped in someone that does have the diseases they would fully understand and not always say that the illness is a crutch or excuse. Because it isn't I would not wish it on anyone. Me and my family are so fratured and torn apart because of this that I fill like I have no family at all. It's really sad too. Because I put so much effort towards being a family and wanting to spend qaulity time with them, all they think I do is argue with them or fussing. When all I am doing is trying to express my feelings and explain to them I just want to have a mother that wants to spend quality time with her daughter and a father that does as well. They always seem to look at all the negative things about me and bring up the past mistakes I get tired of it!!!! I think it is time for them to treat me like a decent human being and daughter and love me for me or don't love me at all????
Hello

United States

#2 Jan 17, 2013
TL;DR
Sad

United States

#3 Jan 17, 2013
I understand completely! My issues have ruined many relationships and its not like I can help it. RVBH wouldn't help worth a crap. I made many mistakes and its not because I wanted to but my head is wired differently than most. I try and I realize what's going on but if I'm not on top of it every minute then it gets out of control. I lost the only woman I've even been in love with because of it but honestly she is better off without me for now. I'm getting better and help was always closer than I ever knew. Thank you VA. I now get therapy and working the medication out. Alcohol is the worst thing in the world for me but it took one drastic night before I realized this. I'm thankful for the fact I have a some what understanding family but its that one person I really need to improve myself for, ME! I will be a better man and I hope when the time is right that one woman will see and we can fix what I have 'broken'. It will be a day I cherish. With a smile on my face, I'll be the best I can and be the man she always needed and have her back quicker than lightning.
It is normal

Owensboro, KY

#4 Jan 17, 2013
Because, it's human nature for people to be obnoxious bigots. The first thing you have to learn, before you can fully regain your sanity, is how to deal with human nature.
truth

United States

#5 Jan 17, 2013
someone please tell me wrote:
Why is that people that have mental health issues their families and friends that don't have that disease or problem don't understand or don't care to understand? Like that this is a hereditary thing given to them they did not choose this. I really think if they stepped in someone that does have the diseases they would fully understand and not always say that the illness is a crutch or excuse. Because it isn't I would not wish it on anyone. Me and my family are so fratured and torn apart because of this that I fill like I have no family at all. It's really sad too. Because I put so much effort towards being a family and wanting to spend qaulity time with them, all they think I do is argue with them or fussing. When all I am doing is trying to express my feelings and explain to them I just want to have a mother that wants to spend quality time with her daughter and a father that does as well. They always seem to look at all the negative things about me and bring up the past mistakes I get tired of it!!!! I think it is time for them to treat me like a decent human being and daughter and love me for me or don't love me at all????
You just have to accept that you can't change people and find people that can meet your needs. Some people lack the ability to empathize with others and some people don't care to. It's life. Life sucks some of the time. None of us know what it's like to walk in anyone else's shoes. This is why we all need to think about how our actions and words effect other people. I understand your frustrations with your parents, but they may have never learned how to meet your needs. Just because someone has an illness like being an alcoholic or depressed, doesn't mean you have to let it define you. Lots of people are survivors, and that is because they get back up when life knocks them down.
Sad

United States

#6 Jan 17, 2013
Not always easy when you are naturally paranoid of what others think or feel about you. First you have to find out what is wrong with you and work on straightening that out then deal with human nature.
Sad

United States

#8 Jan 17, 2013
truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You cannot give a shit about what other's think unless you want to waste your entire life living someone else's life. It takes courage to be yourself.
Very true!
Same here

Dawson Springs, KY

#9 Jan 18, 2013
someone please tell me wrote:
I could have written that too. I have been alienated for many years had my own daughters ripped from me!! I was left out just this past Christmas. The worst part-- my kids think I CHOSE this-- won't even try to understand as they ha e been brainwashed into thinking mental illness is BAD and CONTAGIOUS. People tend to reap what they sow, and although I prefer reconciliation over revenge, eventually we are redeemed. So sad having to watch your family being punished for their own ignorance. Even to the point of their own destruction. Mercy and compassion are nearly dead.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bub 11 min Lyfe 1
Katie Moore's babydaddy 31 min Maurryyy 1
Tunnels under Owensboro 1 hr Sherlock 1
Why is it that Billy Joe Miles has case dismiss... 1 hr Jesus son of God 8
Which FTA Pizza Coworkers Closet Coitus 1 hr Lost 5
Booter 1 hr Jesus son of God 5
Mudsharks at TTMA 1 hr Jesus son of God 24

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance