smac

Owensboro, KY

#103 Jul 25, 2013
The Rumors about the houses being torn down are false. The Greenwell house still stands as does the house where Mary Owen lived just little bit away. Although the school is gone, the thoughts of this case will be never be gone. I lived just blocks from where the crime occured and i went to school as Longfellow when it happened. I was in the 5th grade. I remember walking to school and seeing the crime yellow roped off to the left of the front door. Im still haunted by this crime even in 2013.
smac

Owensboro, KY

#104 Jul 25, 2013
As far as the Stalling case, I remember it too and it was a horrible crime. I remember hearing he shot his wife and the kids upstairs were trapped and a fire was set. Pretty sick. I knew one of the firemen on the scene and he told me it was an awful thing to see. I wont go into the graphics of it.

Since: Aug 13

Owensboro, KY

#106 Aug 8, 2013
I too recall the Mary Owen murder. To this day I still stop and look up where Longfellow once stood. I was in 8th grade when this took place. It reads like a John Gresham novel.
Very Interested

Duluth, GA

#107 Oct 30, 2013
I'm not clear how anyone would not have heard screams when it has been reported by Mary's mother that her sin was playing basketball in the driveway.... Across the street from the crime scene!!!
Very Interested

Duluth, GA

#108 Oct 30, 2013
Very Interested wrote:
I'm not clear how anyone would not have heard screams when it has been reported by Mary's mother that her sin was playing basketball in the driveway.... Across the street from the crime scene!!!
*son not sin!
opinion

United States

#109 Oct 30, 2013
I think shell, taylor and greenwell were all in this together. I think shell and taylor planned to tie her up and let greenwell have his way with her. I think greenwell thought they would just torture her a little bit until he realized shell and taylor were going to kill her and thats not what greenwell expected.
No Really

Owensboro, KY

#110 Nov 1, 2013
Really wrote:
I knew Dr Taylor and he was a beautiful man and I mean literally! He was a wonderful dr as well. These are all rumors and no one knows the truth and 2 of them are dead and the others well they are practicing med. if he had demons we don't know what they are but I do know he didnt want to be a dr. Why drag his name thru the mud when we as a community won't ever know the truth and seriously if ur child was involved in this would you not do all in your power to make it go away
Granted, we do not really know what actually happened because the details got muddied by whatever force. I am just appalled that you would make the comment "the power to make it go away" Because that is exactly what happened, Thar girl received no justice at all. I believe why people to this day do not want it to"go away" is because the idea of social class and money in this town can help you get away with murder and very easily have the same mis-justice done to you or some one we love is sickening.
Detective

Owensboro, KY

#111 Nov 1, 2013
opinion wrote:
I think shell, taylor and greenwell were all in this together. I think shell and taylor planned to tie her up and let greenwell have his way with her. I think greenwell thought they would just torture her a little bit until he realized shell and taylor were going to kill her and thats not what greenwell expected.
I feel like this may be more than just an opinion.....

Did you know any of these people?? Why/how did you come to this opinion?? Very interesting theory is all! Would love to know your insight!
opinion

United States

#112 Nov 2, 2013
No really I dont. I wish I did for mary's sake. I always wanted to be a forensic scientist but nursing school seemed morr in my reach. I mean just going by what my dad has told me he was a school faculty member during that time andbhe told me the whole story he knew. Apparently everyone said dr schells son, waitman taylor's son and greenwell were all in it together. I think the mayor and some others paid greenwell off to take the fall. Its the most rational explanation I can think of and I watch a lot of crime shows
metoo

United States

#113 Nov 2, 2013
One to hold her arms down, one holding the belt and one sexually assaulting. Would explain why nothing was heard...
opinion

United States

#114 Nov 2, 2013
metoo wrote:
One to hold her arms down, one holding the belt and one sexually assaulting. Would explain why nothing was heard...
My thoughts exactly! I honestly think Greenwell and his family were paid a good amount of money from Dr schell and mayor waitman taylor to take the fall and keep quiet. I think Greenwell just planned to rape her and then he realized the other 2 were taking it to a whole other level by slashing her wrists and choking her with a belt. Its the most logical explanation I can think of because Greenwe. Should of gotten more time. The judge must jave been tied into this somehow as well. He started off wiyh givibg Greenwell 20 yrs in prprison and by the end of it all he only had to spend a few years in an institute? I also think Mary's family were paid off by shell and taylor. I mean Mary's father saw his little girls body and they agreed to ammend the charges!!!! Something doesn't add it up or they agreed to ammend the charges because maybe deel down they dont think greenwell was the one to kill theor daughter. We have to think outside od the box here. Im so bothered by this and ive become so obsessed because this case should of had a closure of the truth and the results just dont add up in my opinion
Detective

Owensboro, KY

#115 Nov 2, 2013
opinion wrote:
No really I dont. I wish I did for mary's sake. I always wanted to be a forensic scientist but nursing school seemed morr in my reach. I mean just going by what my dad has told me he was a school faculty member during that time andbhe told me the whole story he knew. Apparently everyone said dr schells son, waitman taylor's son and greenwell were all in it together. I think the mayor and some others paid greenwell off to take the fall. Its the most rational explanation I can think of and I watch a lot of crime shows
That's one question I have.... Obviously the ENTIRE town was talking! Names were bring used and theories were talked out both in and out of the media... What were these boys and their families reactions to all the talk? I know there were several articles written in the M&I about wild rumors and putting then to rest but... What were the reactions of those being accused?? If I were being tied to a murder or any other crime for that matter I would surely not stand by quietly! I too watch and follow a lot of crime stories and it seems to be consistent that the murderer always slips up somehow because it's very difficult to maintain a lie.... You can't keep up with the different elements because you are making them up as you go! What did they say... How did they react.... Especially at 16 years if age...
Detective

Owensboro, KY

#116 Nov 2, 2013
opinion wrote:
<quoted text>My thoughts exactly! I honestly think Greenwell and his family were paid a good amount of money from Dr schell and mayor waitman taylor to take the fall and keep quiet. I think Greenwell just planned to rape her and then he realized the other 2 were taking it to a whole other level by slashing her wrists and choking her with a belt. Its the most logical explanation I can think of because Greenwe. Should of gotten more time. The judge must jave been tied into this somehow as well. He started off wiyh givibg Greenwell 20 yrs in prprison and by the end of it all he only had to spend a few years in an institute? I also think Mary's family were paid off by shell and taylor. I mean Mary's father saw his little girls body and they agreed to ammend the charges!!!! Something doesn't add it up or they agreed to ammend the charges because maybe deel down they dont think greenwell was the one to kill theor daughter. We have to think outside od the box here. Im so bothered by this and ive become so obsessed because this case should of had a closure of the truth and the results just dont add up in my opinion
I know Taylor lived directly across the street from Mary and Greenwell... Where did Schell live at the time? I know in the vs unity but where exactly? Anybody?? And I have also heard that the Schell brother that was involved has sense moved out if town... Is this true?
Detective

Owensboro, KY

#117 Nov 2, 2013
Very Interested wrote:
After thinking about this more.... YES, I'm totally consumed!! Lolol, I have to remember that the landscape was a lot different at that time... Today there is a flat parking lot right over the brick wall that stands by the Greenwell home. In 1972 there was a hill...
follower

Owensboro, KY

#118 Nov 2, 2013
opinion wrote:
<quoted text>My thoughts exactly! I honestly think Greenwell and his family were paid a good amount of money from Dr schell and mayor waitman taylor to take the fall and keep quiet. I think Greenwell just planned to rape her and then he realized the other 2 were taking it to a whole other level by slashing her wrists and choking her with a belt. Its the most logical explanation I can think of because Greenwe. Should of gotten more time. The judge must jave been tied into this somehow as well. He started off wiyh givibg Greenwell 20 yrs in prprison and by the end of it all he only had to spend a few years in an institute? I also think Mary's family were paid off by shell and taylor. I mean Mary's father saw his little girls body and they agreed to ammend the charges!!!! Something doesn't add it up or they agreed to ammend the charges because maybe deel down they dont think greenwell was the one to kill theor daughter. We have to think outside od the box here. Im so bothered by this and ive become so obsessed because this case should of had a closure of the truth and the results just dont add up in my opinion
I've recently learned that the molestation, NOT rape, took place AFTER her death. The slashing of both wrist, down to the bone, also took place AFTER her death!
Pearl

Owensboro, KY

#119 Nov 2, 2013
Detective wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one question I have.... Obviously the ENTIRE town was talking! Names were bring used and theories were talked out both in and out of the media... What were these boys and their families reactions to all the talk? I know there were several articles written in the M&I about wild rumors and putting then to rest but... What were the reactions of those being accused?? If I were being tied to a murder or any other crime for that matter I would surely not stand by quietly! I too watch and follow a lot of crime stories and it seems to be consistent that the murderer always slips up somehow because it's very difficult to maintain a lie.... You can't keep up with the different elements because you are making them up as you go! What did they say... How did they react.... Especially at 16 years if age...
I worked at Texas Gas at the time, where Greenwell's father was an officer. The company president forbid employees to discuss it. We were told anyone caught discussing it would be fired.
Pearl

Owensboro, KY

#120 Nov 2, 2013
Greenwell's mother turned him in, after catching him choking a nude doll with a belt, and saying to her "this is Mary."
Detective

Owensboro, KY

#121 Nov 2, 2013
Pearl wrote:
Greenwell's mother turned him in, after catching him choking a nude doll with a belt, and saying to her "this is Mary."
This is strange behavior for a 16 year old, of course murder isn't normal behavior for any age .... And an article I've read said when the paperwork was received by Mr Owen stating the hairs matched Richard Greenwell, he went to Greenwell's father who said I haven't told my wife yet ....
dude

Princeton, KY

#122 Nov 4, 2013
Detective wrote:
<quoted text>This is strange behavior for a 16 year old, of course murder isn't normal behavior for any age .... And an article I've read said when the paperwork was received by Mr Owen stating the hairs matched Richard Greenwell, he went to Greenwell's father who said I haven't told my wife yet ....
Do you know when it was in the paper? What year? Month?
Detective

Owensboro, KY

#123 Nov 4, 2013
dude wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know when it was in the paper? What year? Month?
It was 1975 I believe... I'll check my copy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Owensboro Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 7 min Independent 5,037
John smith 20 min johnny 53
abby saalwechter 31 min pounder 5
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 31 min mudfoot 153,602
Anybody 39 min Fish 1
kelly Hole 47 min Fish 4
chris denson n misty sullivan got married 1 hr Tab 28
•••
•••

Owensboro Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Owensboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••