The Mary Owen Murder
brian

Vincennes, IN

#82 Jan 25, 2013
SJH wrote:
I also attended Southern Jr. High with Mary. Most everyone from her class attended the funeral and Mary's parents invited us to their home after the service for refreshments. Greenwell was there also, in the basement, consoling Mary's brother. This I witnessed with my own eyes. It was shocking to learn he was the murderer after witnessing his "act of kindness" to Mary's brother. With reference to no one hearing Mary's scream, it was my understanding the murder occurred on the front left of Longfellow school on a Sunday night. The high school is to the left and Likens to the right so there was no one at these locations to hear screams. It's reasonable that her voice wouldn't carry to the street behind the school even if she had the opportunity to yell. As far as other facts about the case, the best you will get is what has already been posted.
I guess we were in the same class..i had almost forgot about Mary until getting on here..Still shocked by it this many years later..
The Seeker

Owensboro, KY

#83 Jan 26, 2013
It's amazing how decades later, this case is still largely a mystery.
I remember too

Willowbrook, IL

#84 Feb 27, 2013
I always thought it amazing that nothing was ever brought to light about the facts of this case. It was well known at the time that 3 teenage boys were involved. The mayor's son, the son of a surgeon, and the Greenwell boy, who was the only one indicted. I kept waiting for it all to come out, and it seems surreal that 2 of the three escaped justice. If this murder had taken place today, there is no way it could have been covered up.
I remember too

Belvidere, IL

#86 Feb 28, 2013
The murder was not on Sunday night, but on late Saturday night or after midnight Sunday morning, because it was broken to the news on Easter Sunday morning.... The surgeon's son was not Dr. Robert S., who was in med school, but his brother.
truth

Whitestown, IN

#87 Feb 28, 2013
I worked at Texas Gas at the time, where Greenwell's father was an officer of the company. We, the employees, were forbidden to discuss the incident, and told we would be fired if we did.
justified

Owensboro, KY

#88 Feb 28, 2013
Well this is a perfect example of Karma...because of these 3 boys one of them has killed themselves already. So obviously he couldn't handle it anymore. Now if the other 2 would disappear maybe Mary and her family could sleep in peace at night
Ghetto Spaghetti

Union Star, KY

#89 Mar 1, 2013
I, too, am interested in this case. My grandmother worked at TG with Mr. Greenwell and said that he never indicated his son was innocent, but rather was certain of his guilt. I dunno. I've heard the rumors about other teens involved my whole life, but don't know if they have any basis in fact. Would like to talk to Greenwell now that he's free and see what he would say 40 years after the fact.
Amazed

Earlington, KY

#90 Mar 1, 2013
I am amazed that Richard Greenwell is still alive after what he did. I would of thought the guilt would of gotten to him.
chas

White Plains, KY

#91 Mar 2, 2013
Well if u ever get the chance to talk to him we would all like a update.
veeeerry interesting

Owensboro, KY

#92 Mar 2, 2013
hmmm I wonder... what are the chances that the two boys who found the body were the future doctors and possible accomplices?!?
River City

Utica, KY

#93 Mar 2, 2013
I remember when this happened. It' s a very interesting crime, not unlike one that would be featured on 48 Hour Mystery or Dateline NBC. The fact that we are still discussing it 41 years later shows that people are not satisfied with the way things were handled and believe there was a major coverup by the powers-that-were right here in River City.
River City

Utica, KY

#94 Mar 2, 2013
Does anyone know if Coroner Ira Taylor was related to Mayor Waitman Taylor?
chas

White Plains, KY

#95 Mar 3, 2013
River City wrote:
I remember when this happened. It' s a very interesting crime, not unlike one that would be featured on 48 Hour Mystery or Dateline NBC. The fact that we are still discussing it 41 years later shows that people are not satisfied with the way things were handled and believe there was a major coverup by the powers-that-were right here in River City.
So agree. I think a someone should pick this case up and finally put it front and center of media where it should have been so many years ago
Nothing has changed

Owensboro, KY

#96 Mar 3, 2013
chas wrote:
<quoted text>
So agree. I think a someone should pick this case up and finally put it front and center of media where it should have been so many years ago
Everything would still be covered up if this happend now instead of then. Haven't you heard of the Good Ole Boys Club? It still exists today in Owensboro. Nothing will ever be done about this case or any other case that includes certain people in this town.
KJM

Fort Thomas, KY

#97 Jul 1, 2013
River City wrote:
Does anyone know if Coroner Ira Taylor was related to Mayor Waitman Taylor?
. No.
KJM

Fort Thomas, KY

#98 Jul 1, 2013
No, don't believe they were related. I knew Ira Taylor and family.
Memorial

Henderson, KY

#99 Jul 1, 2013
I would like for a permanent memorial placed in Smother's park for Mary Owen. It would be the least we could do for her and to make sure politics will never override justice again in this town.
Seeker

Owensboro, KY

#100 Jul 1, 2013
I can't find any pictures of Mary, and I am very curious. What year was this and what grade was she?
Ghetto Spaghetti

Union Star, KY

#101 Jul 10, 2013
SJH wrote:
I also attended Southern Jr. High with Mary. Most everyone from her class attended the funeral and Mary's parents invited us to their home after the service for refreshments. Greenwell was there also, in the basement, consoling Mary's brother. This I witnessed with my own eyes. It was shocking to learn he was the murderer after witnessing his "act of kindness" to Mary's brother. With reference to no one hearing Mary's scream, it was my understanding the murder occurred on the front left of Longfellow school on a Sunday night. The high school is to the left and Likens to the right so there was no one at these locations to hear screams. It's reasonable that her voice wouldn't carry to the street behind the school even if she had the opportunity to yell. As far as other facts about the case, the best you will get is what has already been posted.
But what about the public library? Didn't that parking lot sort of butt up against the wooded area between Longfellow and Likens? It's a pretty small area, if memory serves.

My grandmother worked at TG as an executive assistant to Greenwell. According to her, although the topic was not discussed regularly, Mr. Greenwell never voiced any dissent about his son's involvement. Not to say he admitted it; he just never said anything about a shakedown or a cover up.
Ghetto Spaghetti

Union Star, KY

#102 Jul 10, 2013
But I'm pretty sure my grandmother was convinced RG was guilty. Not sure why.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ymca staff 1 hr Hmmmmmmmmm 2
Dope headed women 3 hr Dad 4
Keith Ray (cycle Doctor) 3 hr je 3
I hate my girlfriend (Nov '13) 4 hr Valium 55
Trump 4 hr Gill 8
Rishi 4 hr Gill 6
Hamilton 4 hr tistis 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Owensboro Mortgages