The Mary Owen Murder
Big Guns

Madisonville, KY

#62 Jan 23, 2013
This is interesting. I do not think that anyone that was a victim of this should have to relive it however, I do believe Mary deserves the answers to be known.
I Remember

Owensboro, KY

#63 Jan 24, 2013
To IN and Out of Youth. I think the Owens moved from here very soon after her death. Not sure of a time line .It seems to me there was a awful lot of things done to this poor girl for there to have been just one person involved. Killed in one area moved to another with out anyone hearing her screaming.If only one person did it how did they do all of that with out someone hearing. There are houses all over the place.And that time of year it is fairly warm people would have been outside. Seems like there had to be more than 1 person you are talking about a brutal assualt she would have put up a huge fight.
better

Tucker, GA

#64 Jan 24, 2013
Fun wrote:
It's also scary. If these drs really Did do it then some of us may be at some point putting our lives in the hands of murderers. Some surgeons iin our little town are murdereres. That's horrible. And their patients don't even know. The only place I've ever heard this is here. First time was a few years ago.
They were not doctors at the time, they were still in high school

Level 1

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#65 Jan 24, 2013
I just don't understand how Greenwell was sent to a mental institution in MI. They got there own people to deal with and what dx got him in??? I have not read anything about him being mentally ill. Evil maybe, but not insane.

All this took place on Easter weekend.

I also, don't understand why the parents would agree to a lesser charge. Why would our commonwealth attorneys wuss out on such a vile act. They had so much evidence. It took the police a couple of weeks to even charge Greenwell. He was questioned that night and got to be apart of her wake.
I bet he was out of the state institution in one year. I would like to know where he is now???
In And Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#66 Jan 24, 2013
Skipper42301 wrote:
I just don't understand how Greenwell was sent to a mental institution in MI. They got there own people to deal with and what dx got him in??? I have not read anything about him being mentally ill. Evil maybe, but not insane.
All this took place on Easter weekend.
I also, don't understand why the parents would agree to a lesser charge. Why would our commonwealth attorneys wuss out on such a vile act. They had so much evidence. It took the police a couple of weeks to even charge Greenwell. He was questioned that night and got to be apart of her wake.
I bet he was out of the state institution in one year. I would like to know where he is now???
Do you know for certain that Greenwell was at Mary Owen's wake?

Judge Henry Griffin, who had initially sentenced Greenwell to 20 years in prison on a voluntary manslaughter charge, cited Greenwell's age and a lack of psychiatric facilities at LaGrange Reformatory as his reasoning for suspending the sentence and transferring Greenwell to the psychiatric facility in MI. What's strange, in my opinion, is that Greenwell was committed briefly to Central State Hospital near Louisville shortly after his arrest for psychiatric evaluation and even once out on $20,000 bond he was required to make frequent visits to the facility for continued psychological evaluation. As far as whether or not Greenwell was mentally ill or insane bear in mind that he was ultimately found competent to stand trial.
brian

Vincennes, IN

#67 Jan 24, 2013
I went to school with Mary..i remember the day after the murder took place,how somber it was and the teachers tried to console everyone.I remember Mary who was in my math class and she had teen magazines with her.She had a crush on the singer Bobby Sherman.This murder has always haunted me as well as the fire/murder involving Detective Stallings that killed his family on South Cherokee Drive..
In And Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#68 Jan 24, 2013
brian wrote:
I went to school with Mary..i remember the day after the murder took place,how somber it was and the teachers tried to console everyone.I remember Mary who was in my math class and she had teen magazines with her.She had a crush on the singer Bobby Sherman.This murder has always haunted me as well as the fire/murder involving Detective Stallings that killed his family on South Cherokee Drive..
Do you remember anything else about Mary, anything at all? Did you know Richard Greenwell?
brian

Vincennes, IN

#69 Jan 24, 2013
I didnt know Mary very well...I sat next to her in math class...i do know that the day after it happened one of the teachers was very angry because some of the guys at school picked on her..Mary wore braces and was going through a gawky stage in her life..I didnt know Richard Greenwell...It was a very strange event because in 1972 stuff like that didnt happen...if i recall anything else i will update on here...
In And Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#70 Jan 24, 2013
brian wrote:
I didnt know Mary very well...I sat next to her in math class...i do know that the day after it happened one of the teachers was very angry because some of the guys at school picked on her..Mary wore braces and was going through a gawky stage in her life..I didnt know Richard Greenwell...It was a very strange event because in 1972 stuff like that didnt happen...if i recall anything else i will update on here...
From the moment I first learned about all of this I've been trying to place it into context. I wasn't alive in 1972 but as you said things like this just didn't happen back then. I can only imagine how shocked and horrified the community was when it took place. Still, here we are nearly 41 years later trying to understand...still looking for answers.
sherlock

Owensboro, KY

#71 Jan 24, 2013
Here are my questions. Did no one hear the poor girls screams ?. I grew up in the area. Where she was found, Richard's house ( which backed up to her backyard ) are not even 50 yards away. A quiet sunday evening in this nice upscale neighborhood, and no screams? I have always heard dr. schell's name thrown in, he was 23 at the time and in medcal school at Vanderbilt. I don't buy that. I think he gets mentioned because the suspected weapon was supposedly a scapel. But who knows? Who were the 2 boys that went to Mr. Owen and took him to the body?How much time did Richard spend in jail? Why was he quietly shipped off to Michigan and this was not reported in local paper?

I know that the Owen family moved soon after, within a year. I believe to West Virginia. The Greenwell's family stayed at the same house on Alderson court until Mr. Greenwell died in 2001.

I feel confident that there was only one killer, however, there may have been eyewitnesses that did not stop him or realized what was happening until it was too late. I also think that the two boys were probably the witnesses and were scared, but eventually told what they knew. They probably were left out of it due to their ages, under 18 at the time.

This was and really still is such a tragedy. I hope the Owen family found peace. Let's all just let this go now, it's over.
sherlock

Owensboro, KY

#72 Jan 24, 2013
Skipper42301 wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to Richard Greenwell and who lives in his old house
He lives in North Carolina.
Truth

Owensboro, KY

#73 Jan 24, 2013
At the time, there was a homeless man called John the Baptist that wandered up and down the railroad tracks and talked to himself. Probably schizophrenic, although that was not a common diagnosis at the time. He was the first person detained and questioned about the murder, which is why it took a little while to get around to Greenwell. Taylor, and Schell.
Truth

Owensboro, KY

#74 Jan 24, 2013
As I remember it, it was Greenwell's mother that first voiced suspicions about her son's involvement. Something about him choking a doll with a belt and saying " this is Mary Owen."
brian

Vincennes, IN

#75 Jan 24, 2013
My uncle was on the Grand jury that heard the evidence in the case.He didnt say anything about the case other than it was very difficult to hear evidence presented..I attended Southern Junior High with Mary Owen in 1972..I am still haunted by this even today..I think one of Greenwells brothers attended OCHS..I attended OCHS from 1973-1975..I seem to remember him playing intramural basketball...I am sure he heard a lot of whispers..
I Remember

Owensboro, KY

#76 Jan 24, 2013
To Brian. I also remember when Det. Stallings killed his family. That was so horrible. How could you set your entire family on fire. I do remember also he had a special needs daughter and carried her out but let the rest burn to death. Dont know if you are aware. He shot his first wife ...said his gun fell on the floor and went off killing her. Interesting HUH..... For a small town seems we have had our fair share of scandals doesn't it.
chas

Owensboro, KY

#77 Jan 24, 2013
There where so many more murders the pi told me about in and around owensboro in the past 40 or so years. But for some reason Mary Owens case always kinda haunted me. Even though I was not born yet either.
SJH

Owensboro, KY

#78 Jan 24, 2013
I also attended Southern Jr. High with Mary. Most everyone from her class attended the funeral and Mary's parents invited us to their home after the service for refreshments. Greenwell was there also, in the basement, consoling Mary's brother. This I witnessed with my own eyes. It was shocking to learn he was the murderer after witnessing his "act of kindness" to Mary's brother. With reference to no one hearing Mary's scream, it was my understanding the murder occurred on the front left of Longfellow school on a Sunday night. The high school is to the left and Likens to the right so there was no one at these locations to hear screams. It's reasonable that her voice wouldn't carry to the street behind the school even if she had the opportunity to yell. As far as other facts about the case, the best you will get is what has already been posted.
In And Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#79 Jan 24, 2013
SJH wrote:
I also attended Southern Jr. High with Mary. Most everyone from her class attended the funeral and Mary's parents invited us to their home after the service for refreshments. Greenwell was there also, in the basement, consoling Mary's brother. This I witnessed with my own eyes. It was shocking to learn he was the murderer after witnessing his "act of kindness" to Mary's brother. With reference to no one hearing Mary's scream, it was my understanding the murder occurred on the front left of Longfellow school on a Sunday night. The high school is to the left and Likens to the right so there was no one at these locations to hear screams. It's reasonable that her voice wouldn't carry to the street behind the school even if she had the opportunity to yell. As far as other facts about the case, the best you will get is what has already been posted.
Did you know Greenwell very well? What do you remember about him? Did he seem like the type of person who would be capable of doing something like this?

Level 1

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#80 Jan 25, 2013
In And Out Of Youth wrote:
<quoted text>Do you know for certain that Greenwell was at Mary Owen's wake?

Judge Henry Griffin, who had initially sentenced Greenwell to 20 years in prison on a voluntary manslaughter charge, cited Greenwell's age and a lack of psychiatric facilities at LaGrange Reformatory as his reasoning for suspending the sentence and transferring Greenwell to the psychiatric facility in MI. What's strange, in my opinion, is that Greenwell was committed briefly to Central State Hospital near Louisville shortly after his arrest for psychiatric evaluation and even once out on $20,000 bond he was required to make frequent visits to the facility for continued psychological evaluation. As far as whether or not Greenwell was mentally ill or insane bear in mind that he was ultimately found competent to stand trial.
I talked to a lady that was a senior at OHS when the boys were Juniors. She did not go but remembered a lot of gossip about the wake. He was their neighbor.
SJH

Owensboro, KY

#81 Jan 25, 2013
No, I did not know Greenwell personally. He and his family attended St. Stephens where my family also attended. The Greenwell's seemed very proper and "upper class", especially the mother. She stood out at church because of the way she conducted herself. We were silly kids and noticed anyone that was a little different. She gave off a "saintly" appearance. You would have to be there to know what I'm talking about. The Greenwell boys attended OCHS so I never associated with them except on one occasion when the neighborhood kids had a snowball fight. Didn't really form an opinion from this one encounter and there was nothing remarkable about the event.
People keep saying there was a wake for Mary but I don't recall a wake. I believe they had a private funeral, a public memorial and then friends and family were invited to the home after the memorial.
I now have a neighbor that lived on the corner of Alderson Ct. at the time of the murder. I asked his opinion recently regarding the rumors about Mary's death. He is elderly and simply stated there is no truth to the rumors that Taylor and Schell were involved but the rumors persist.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best head around 19 min bi-guy 3
Where can i find legal CBD? 2 hr Vaper 2
Josh & Summer Powell 2 hr amber payne 3
Andrew Coons 2 hr so right 2
Amanda Wink 2 hr wow 8
Why are mothers always threatened by step mothers? (Jan '12) 3 hr Truth 118
Combest lifeguard 4 hr Hubbahubba 1
Owensboro Country Club cook 8 hr Blake Shelton 25
More from around the web

Personal Finance