The Mary Owen Murder
bigbustout

Hopkinsville, KY

#42 Jan 22, 2013
Not to break this up, but I once heard a story about a body found in an alley that runs down the west side of Freeman Avenue? Could be the same case, as you know how twisted things can get when passed down. I've also heard a story about a young girl getting her throat cut and left for dead under the massive tree in front of Seven Hills Elementary. this would have been around the early eighties, I think.
abby

Owensboro, KY

#43 Jan 22, 2013
Wow
In And Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#44 Jan 22, 2013
bigbustout wrote:
Not to break this up, but I once heard a story about a body found in an alley that runs down the west side of Freeman Avenue? Could be the same case, as you know how twisted things can get when passed down. I've also heard a story about a young girl getting her throat cut and left for dead under the massive tree in front of Seven Hills Elementary. this would have been around the early eighties, I think.
I think its pretty clear that nothing has been "twisted" (as far as the location, date, victim, etc. in the Mary Owen murder). It has been mentioned multiple times throughout this thread (as well as the one on the Haunted Longfellow School) that there are articles from the Evansville Press written at the time of the murder that provide basic details regarding the crime. There's even a pretty lengthy summary of them on this thread. Looks like you're talking about an entirely different incident.
In And Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#45 Jan 23, 2013
For your consideration:

There are obviously many aspects to this crime that are at best, questionable. Anyone simply scanning through these posts can see that the press coverage of the incident at the time it occurred was minimal and, as others have previously mentioned, this is likely to have contributed to the creation of the rumors surrounding the murder. It is important, however, to note that there is much in the official press reports that simply does not add up.

1) The first article written on the incident was printed on April 3rd 1972 (one day after the murder). It reports that “The girls body was found about 8 p.m. yesterday behind Longfellow School…” The last paragraph of the same article is as follows “There was no word on what clues, if any, had been uncovered, although the belt with which the girl was strangled was reported to be a size 34—not the girl’s.”

A second article, printed the following day on April 4th 1972, states “The police chief said yesterday the girl’s body was found in front of Longfellow School—it had earlier been reported that the body was found behind the school—which is a literal stone’s throw from the Owen’s family home…” This article also states that Mary “was fatally strangled, an autopsy revealed yesterday.” There is no mention of a belt.

On April 15th 1972 a third article is printed which states,“The girl was strangled with her own belt, authorities revealed during the murder investigation and strangulation was listed as the official cause of death.” Every article printed after this date that discusses Mary’s strangulation states it was done with her own belt.

I find it a bit odd that the press would openly admit to and clarify the misreporting of the location of the body but totally ignore the fact that it implicitly reported that the belt (the murder weapon) she was strangled with was a size 34 and not her own. Then, 11 days later, begin reporting that she had been strangled with her own belt and never make mention of the initial report again.
justice for mary

Versailles, KY

#46 Jan 23, 2013
This is not the first post about this! Where is the original thread?!
Really

Madisonville, KY

#47 Jan 23, 2013
I knew Dr Taylor and he was a beautiful man and I mean literally! He was a wonderful dr as well. These are all rumors and no one knows the truth and 2 of them are dead and the others well they are practicing med. if he had demons we don't know what they are but I do know he didnt want to be a dr. Why drag his name thru the mud when we as a community won't ever know the truth and seriously if ur child was involved in this would you not do all in your power to make it go away
I Remember

Owensboro, KY

#48 Jan 23, 2013
I somewhat agree. Dr Taylor is not here to defend himself. But..... if infact there was a cover up. I can tell you this had it god forbid been my child. The cover up would not have continued. If there was more than 1 person involved no matter whose child was involved. I would have made sure that everyone involved was charged. Doctors kid,mayors kid, no matter who it was. That is just wrong.And I would not have allowed my child to take all the blame if they were not the only one involved.
I Remember

Owensboro, KY

#49 Jan 23, 2013
SORRY Don't know how my post showed up twice.
Truth

Owensboro, KY

#50 Jan 23, 2013
While it was going on, the employees at Texas Gas were told anyone caught discussing the Greenwell boy's involvement would be fired. His father was an executive at TG at the time.
Hmmm

Tucker, GA

#51 Jan 23, 2013
This is really interesting!!
Nope

Owensboro, KY

#52 Jan 23, 2013
Dr Taylor I am sure was a very nice person. And I agree he was a good doctor. But what is being discussed here is the death of a young girl. If he was involved he should have been charged. I don't know that he was involved,there is no way to know if any of these guys were involved. Honestly the reason given for the Messenger not covering the story the way it should have been was out of respect for Mary Owens father as he worked at the paper. Do you really think that would have stopped them ?????? It sounds like other forces were putting the pressure on them to not cover it. That is the only thing that makes sense to me.
The Seeker

Owensboro, KY

#53 Jan 23, 2013
Are there any pictures in existence of Mary or anything else about the case?
Ann

Owensboro, KY

#54 Jan 23, 2013
justice for mary wrote:
This is not the first post about this! Where is the original thread?!
It was called "Haunted Longfellow School":

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/owensboro-ky/...
Big Guns

Madisonville, KY

#55 Jan 23, 2013
I may have overlooked but no one mentions any type of motive for this murder. Anyone know what the motive may have been?
In And Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#56 Jan 23, 2013
For your consideration(2):

Again I would like to draw attention to another baffling aspect of the facts in this incident as they were reported at the time it occurred.

At the time of his trial, Richard Greenwell had been charged with murder and was slated to be tried as such. William Gant (Commonwealth Attorney at the time of Greenwell’s arrest) had clearly stated that he wanted Greenwell bound over to the Circuit Court (this would mean Greenwell would be tried as an adult rather than a juvenile).

On august 28th 1972, Greenwell was allowed to plead guilty to an amended charge of voluntary manslaughter (a murder charge conviction would have given him a life sentence). Ultimately, he was sentenced to 20 years in prison on the voluntary manslaughter charge with eligibility for parole in 5 years. Commonwealth Attorney William Gant told the press that there appeared to be no premeditation on the part of Greenwell and that the murder was “an impulsive act.” He further stated that he proceeded as such after being given permission by Mr. and Mrs. David F. Owen (Mary’s parents) to do so.

It is literally mind-boggling to me that the parents of a young girl who had been brutally raped and murdered would agree to reduced charges for the responsible party. Bear in mind that, according to the official report, Mary’s body was discovered by two teenage boys who then went to her home, told her father, and took him to her. He saw her with his own eyes...saw what was done to her...and still somehow agreed to reduced charges for Greenwell. How?
Truth

Owensboro, KY

#57 Jan 23, 2013
It was discussed at the time as a sexual assault that resulted in death, rather than a premeditated murder.
The Soapbox

Owensboro, KY

#58 Jan 23, 2013
Really wrote:
I knew Dr Taylor and he was a beautiful man and I mean literally! He was a wonderful dr as well. These are all rumors and no one knows the truth and 2 of them are dead and the others well they are practicing med. if he had demons we don't know what they are but I do know he didnt want to be a dr. Why drag his name thru the mud when we as a community won't ever know the truth and seriously if ur child was involved in this would you not do all in your power to make it go away
You make a valid point with this statement, one that is reflective of a problematic and growing trend in our society: a parent's inability or unwillingness to recognize and appropriately act upon signs and implicit behavior of psychological instability exhibited by their children.

You say "...if ur child was involved in this would you not do all in your power to make it all go away."

And at what cost? I'm sure Nancy Lanza (the mother of Adam Lanza, the young man responsible for the massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut) ignored many warning signs exhibited by her son. That is until the moment he pointed a gun in her face and pulled the trigger.
In and Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#59 Jan 23, 2013
Big Guns wrote:
I may have overlooked but no one mentions any type of motive for this murder. Anyone know what the motive may have been?
I've read all the articles that, to my knowledge, are available and there is no mention of any motive at all.
In and Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#60 Jan 23, 2013
Does anyone have even an approximate idea as to how long it was after Mary's death that the Owen family moved away from Owensboro?
In and Out Of Youth

Owensboro, KY

#61 Jan 23, 2013
Truth wrote:
It was discussed at the time as a sexual assault that resulted in death, rather than a premeditated murder.
I'm definitely not buying that. The coroner, Ira Taylor, went on record as having said that Mary had been strangled with a belt and both of her wrists had been slashed "to the bone." I don't see how those type of injuries could be considered even remotely consistent with a sexual assault that resulted in death. To call it as such would seem to imply that she died as a result of the sexual attack. Seems to me that slashing someone's wrists and strangling them with a belt are both pretty deliberate acts with the expected outcome being death. I realize that perhaps, initially, Greenwell meant to only sexually assault the girl but from the moment he decided to cut both her wrists and wrap a belt around her neck I'd say its pretty clear what his intentions were. If, of course, by premeditation it is meant that Greenwell had calculated and planned the entire incident for days or weeks prior then maybe it wasn't premeditated. But don't forget that when it was all said and done his voluntary manslaughter charge (20 years) was suspended by the same judge who sentenced him to it and and he was instead sent to a psychiatric facility in Michigan for 5 years. There is no documentation, at least that I can find, regarding the actual date of his release.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
too gritty? 2 min Anonymoose 14
Mudsharks at Hunter Douglas 2 min Ugh 6
Your daughter was all so very tasty 2 min Charmer 3
dearest cuban 4 min Anonymoose 9
Can any of you girls on here. Squirt 7 min Charmer 31
Christina Roberts Knott 13 min Double trouble 6
I regret leaving my spouse 15 min Dull 3
Rehabs 1 hr Anonymoose 10

Owensboro Jobs

More from around the web