Posted in the Owensboro Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Level 1

Since: Sep 13

Location hidden

#1 Sep 1, 2013
Which elementary school is the best in town We are considering moving to Owensboro and would like an idea of how the schools are.

Thanks.

Level 1

Location hidden

#3 Sep 1, 2013
I don't know where Tamarack is or anyone in Owensboro. There are more than two elementary schools in town?
I guess I should Google some of this stuff.
schools

Owensboro, KY

#4 Sep 1, 2013
Sutton or Newton Parrish for city school system. Most of county schools are about the same. Not too bad.
my hometown

Owensboro, KY

#6 Sep 1, 2013
Burns Elementary!!!!! Hands down!!! You want your kids in county schools here, not city!
prism

Ft Mitchell, KY

#7 Sep 1, 2013
Newton Parrish is a good school, from what I've heard.
Truth

United States

#8 Sep 1, 2013
County. Hands down. East view. I put that on everything.
honestly

Owensboro, KY

#9 Sep 1, 2013
I like Deer Park. And my experience with Estes was great, too.

United States

#10 Sep 1, 2013
my hometown wrote:
Burns Elementary!!!!! Hands down!!! You want your kids in county schools here, not city!
Not necessarily the case anymore. My advice is to do you own research and visit to form your own opinions.
Pam S

United States

#11 Sep 1, 2013
Deer Park is a great school. It's as good as you can get with the current burdens on all public schools. I would agree that county schools are better than city. It's a better environment.

Barnesville, OH

#13 Sep 1, 2013
Pam S wrote:
Deer Park is a great school. It's as good as you can get with the current burdens on all public schools. I would agree that county schools are better than city. It's a better environment.
What is your reasoning behind that?
well

Hopkinsville, KY

#14 Sep 1, 2013
It's based on where you move in town where you kids go anyways unless you wanna pay for them to go somewhere
Daisy

Hopkinsville, KY

#16 Sep 1, 2013
Don't go to Foust unless you want your kids fattened up and constantly tested. The teachers are very fake and the do not want the parents involved in the school. My kids now go to sutton. It's so much different lots of parent involvement encouraged and I feel as though they are getting a better education.
County All The Way

United States

#18 Sep 1, 2013
Of the ones I know Sorgho and Burns Elementary are two of the best and yes,avoid city schools. My children have been to both and moved to the county to get them out of there. Actually,we paid tuition before we moved so they could go to county schools. It really is a better environment and the children actually have manners. I'm not saying none of the children in city schools have manners but a large part do not. Would never send my children back to city schools after seeing the difference in education and environment at county schools.

Level 1

Location hidden

#19 Sep 1, 2013
well wrote:
It's based on where you move in town where you kids go anyways unless you wanna pay for them to go somewhere
We haven't purchased a home yet. We would base our home location on where the best school is located.

Also, we are try to be involved parents. We would really like to feel welcomed into the school, as we have felt not welcome at another school my child attended. It seems that schools claim to want parent involvement, but only if it's the parents whom the admins have known since they were all in school together themselves. Anyone new in town is automatically outcast, it seems.
From my experience

Owensboro, KY

#20 Sep 1, 2013
Burns Elementary
teacher

Owensboro, KY

#22 Sep 1, 2013
I'm a teacher who has taught at both county and city schools. When my child is old enough to attend school she will attend a city school, most likely Newton Parrish. County school appear great to parents, but what goes on and the reactions between teachers and students when parents aren't around is far less educational and impacting than in the city school district. I no longer teach at either district, I chose to be a stay at home mom until my daughter is older, so I'm not biased. City is it for me. Newton Parrish, Sutton, and Cravens!
parent

Owensboro, KY

#23 Sep 1, 2013
Definitely prefer city schools. Been in both. Newton Parrish and sutton are both great schools. Newton Parrish has a great volunteer program, I have heard sutton does too. As far as high schools, OHS has a great football tradition, their sports in all areas are stronger than they used to be. The arts programs there, choir, drama, show choir, etc.. are tops in the state.
Joke

United States

#24 Sep 1, 2013
teacher wrote:
I'm a teacher who has taught at both county and city schools. When my child is old enough to attend school she will attend a city school, most likely Newton Parrish. County school appear great to parents, but what goes on and the reactions between teachers and students when parents aren't around is far less educational and impacting than in the city school district. I no longer teach at either district, I chose to be a stay at home mom until my daughter is older, so I'm not biased. City is it for me. Newton Parrish, Sutton, and Cravens!
I've heard good things about Newton Parrish and Sutton but Cravens is a joke. Bullying has been going on for years in one particular case I know of and the administrators won't do anything about it even after several visits and requests from the child's parents. My child's class had to be talked to about how it isn't appropriate to use the "N" word when referring to each other. I am not a racist and neither is my family but the things my child saw there were making him stereotype certain people which I didn't like. Thank goodness we moved and made sure it was into a county school district. I'm sure others have had good experiences but these were just some of ours.
my hometown

Owensboro, KY

#25 Sep 1, 2013
I went to city schools all up until half of my 9th grade year. Newton Parrish was my elementary school and yes it was a very good school. That is the only city school I would sent my child to. I went to OMS and OHS half of my freshman year and we moved and I switched to Apollo where I graduated. My daughter will stay in county because my opinion, just like everyones on here, that is what I feel is best for her. I can email her teacher if I need to, the ladies in the office are awesome, over all I it is an awesome school and my daughter loves it there. It has nothing to do with color or the environment. My daughter is a beautiful biracial little girl, her daddy, my husband, is black, so that's not the case. He went to city and county just like me and his opinion is, Burns as well. That is where our 2 year old son will go as well:) which ever school you choose, I am sure you will pick the best for your child:) Good Luck:):)
go getter

Sacramento, KY

#26 Sep 1, 2013
Southern Oaks, Meadow Lands and Highland are all 3 great schools!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Owensboro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Get the Owensboro Topix News on Facebook! 1 min Topix 1
cheap apt? 15 min the boro89 2
JJ...jenny 19 min NFL scout 7
josephine renfrow 42 min need 2 know 3
Meth Head's Snitching to get out of trouble? 51 min ky 7
boyfriends in jail, how do i handle this??? adv... (Aug '12) 1 hr Hope this helps 153
good local bands 1 hr Sandbar Patron 6
resouce recycling dont want to weigh you 1 hr LOL 2
Owensboro Dating
Find my Match

Owensboro Jobs

Owensboro People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Owensboro News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Owensboro

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]